Good topic from True Maroon - What game did you realize we might need to move on from Arnett?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Western Michigan was it for me.
Friend,

The opener against Southeastern Louisiana showed some concerns with the offense, but I quickly attributed that to first game jitters. I was one of the few that saw Arizona as a much improved team and thought that game would be a tossup.

The LSU game proved to me that Coach Arnett was way over his head. Here we were with 18 returning starters from a nine win team and we looked like a middle school team. Stupid penalties, bad route running, awful blocking scheme. I wasn't expecting to beat LSU but we looked lifeless.

Coach Arnett is a good guy, from all accounts. He's just not ready to be an SEC head coach. I wish him luck in his next role as defensive coordinator at a Power 5 institution. His next head coaching job will come in the Group of 5, and I hope he has great success.

Sincerely,

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
He just came across to me in his in game and post game live interviews as someone who had absolutely no business being a P5 football head coach from the start .

Reactions: beachbumdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Arkansas. Starting the second half of the season, behind an off week, and no appreciable improvement in the offense combined with a defensive outcome that while solid, still felt like fools gold. If you haven't improved midway through the season, you aren't being coached.

Reactions: patdog

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
SELA thought, Hum, re-education may take a little longer than expected
Arizona eyebrows raised
Western really concerned because we still aren't flashing on what should be a lesser opponent
Arkansas time to change, it ain't gonna work

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Western Michigan. We made a 3rd stringer look like Joe Burrow in front of a quiet crowd of less than half-full stadium. By fourth quarter it was like it was empty and a practice game was going on. CZA seemed bothered that he had to be there. I told my son then he needed to go.

Aug 27, 2012
I posted in the "SELA Instant Reaction" Thread that I was concerned about our offense only scoring when they got a huge play and never once showed the ability to march down the field. Got flamed and ridiculed by the likes of Rupert Jerkins, AlCoDog, BulldogBlitz, Schrodingers Dawg, IBleedMaroonDawg, Crazy Cotton (yeah, I'm not too lazy to go back and look it up). Same guys that started saying some of the same things as the season unfolded. How 'bout that.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

LSU. He just had this clueless look on his face the whole game. But I had concerns early just because of the change in his demeanor.

The live f bomb/giggle about it after the Arizona game with Cubelic was a big not quite ready for prime time moment.

You know the guy wasn’t commanding any respect in the locker room with obvious insecurity like that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Here was my thought process through the season:
SELA - ok, slow start, but new coaches/season/scheme whatever
Arizona - Oof, ok, got some things to clean up, maybe this was a wake up call
LSU - we lost ugly to LSU. What else is new?
South Carolina - Ok, we lost, but showed some flashes of being good. Maybe SC is not a bad team.
Bama - we lost ugly to Bama. What else is new?
WMU - Our defense sucks. What the actual 17?
Arkansas - oh hey, the defense showed up, but our offense really 17ing sucks without Will. Still have a shot at 6 wins, then we can reevaluate.
Auburn - so we suck on both sides of the ball. ok, just get through the season then find a new coach.
Kentucky - welp, there goes a bowl. Even if we squeak through, end it on Black Friday.
A&M - ok, we’re on a 3rd string QB, but HOW IS THE DEFENSE THIS BAD?!? we’re going to lose to Southern, aren’t we?

So, I’d say the seeds were planted with WMU, but I was ready to move on by Auburn.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Haven't felt good about Arnett at any point this season, and it's just kept snowballing for me. I said all along we should let the season play out and see if things improve. There's been no improvement.

This is statistically overall the worst team we've had since Croom. Obviously losing Will hasn't helped. But Mullen made due with Tyson Lee and Chris Relf. Croom took us to a bowl with true freshman Wesley Carroll. Losing your starting QB isn't an excuse to have zero offense.
It’s not a good excuse, but it’s really not a good excuse when the starting QB wasn’t being used correctly in the first damn place.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
The comment he made about telling the OC to be conservative after the Arizona game (I believe) was cause for concern. After Arkansas, the decision was easy, the only question was timing.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
KY game no question for me, defense holds them to 287 and 17 points and we can only muster 3, and give them a pick six at home with a good atmosphere for at least the first half. Yeah he needed to go no question for me at that point, I had run out of patience

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
It was a gradual thing. But there was a troubling comment after the South Carolina game where Will Rogers talked about how he and Tulu drew up the big pass plays on their own. It reminded me of Croom's only good year when Wes Carroll just said f it, I'm running the option.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I posted in the "SELA Instant Reaction" Thread that I was concerned about our offense only scoring when they got a huge play and never once showed the ability to march down the field. Got flamed and ridiculed by the likes of Rupert Jerkins, AlCoDog, BulldogBlitz, Schrodingers Dawg, IBleedMaroonDawg, Crazy Cotton (yeah, I'm not too lazy to go back and look it up). Same guys that started saying some of the same things as the season unfolded. How 'bout that.

and several of them were still saying it up until last Monday

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I forget what game it was. Either our second or third game. The sideline reporter said Will Rogers had told her he didn't know the playbook yet.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Illinois - wrote it off as emotion
Arizona - seriously concerned at how hard it was to win that game
WMU - I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Embarrassing. I knew it had to end and was ready.
Auburn - I thought we would pull the trigger on Sunday or Monday and was disappointed/angry that he survived the week
TAMU Saturday - Gut Gott Amighty why is he still employed?
TAMU Sunday - GUT GOTT AMIGHTY WHY IS HE STILL EMPLOYED?
TAMU Monday - IT'S ABOUT DERN TIME SUMBOTTY WENT AND DID IT!

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I was in denial for the first 4-5 games. Guys still seemed to be playing hard, new system, etc. Honestly it was his dudebro attitude in interviews, his sulky-*** sideline demeanor that finally put me over the edge. Getting paid a couple of million to act bored and disinterested on the sideline isn't gonna cut it, and not being able to articulate any clear way to progress other than doing the same things harder than you're doing them now doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Basically he doesn't have the maturity to handle the job at this point in his career, and the reality of big-time football is nobody gets those years as a head coach to develop anymore.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
The three game stretch of LSU, Bama and SC where the opposing starting QBs completed any and every pass they wanted. Our defense has never looked as outmatched.

Daniels 30-34
Milroe 10-12
Rattler 18-20

~88% completion percentage.

After we made W Michigan's 3rd QB look like Tom Brady and lost Rogers on a stupid playcall I wanted it to happen before season's end.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
LSU with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, when LSU scored again in the south EZ. that's when my wife and i had enough of that BS and got up and left the stadium. I haven't really been that interested since.

Reactions: Bulldog45

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Was scratching my head after Arizona. Dumped the rest of my season tickets after LSU.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When he announced he was changing the offense and he let Spurrier, Hollingshead and Miller go, I knew we were in trouble.

SELA started it, and it was apparent after Arizona.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I forget what game it was. Either our second or third game. The sideline reporter said Will Rogers had told her he didn't know the playbook yet.
After months of hearing the party line about how much time Rogers & Barbary had spent on this & his they were on the same page with everything. If Will didn’t understand the playbook, you know none of the other players did either. Never seen a coaching staff so completely unfit for the job.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Arkansas game started the disgust and downhill roll for me and then seeing the Auburn game sent me over the edge. No change in any aspect of any game planning. No halftime adjustments in any game. If anything we got worse in the second half it seemed like. For the first time in years I didn’t watch a single snap of a game against Kentucky and A&M. I already knew what that would look like. I’ve never been more disgusted with an OC like I am with Barbay. Unwatchable offense with players making inexcusable mistakes in week 8+ games running into each other and stuff like that. Horrible hire for Arnett that cost him a second year

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Arizona. Everyone filed out of the stadium feeling like a loss. My brother said “I can’t believe we have to go through this again (rebuilding).” Incredibly sad to hear those words.

Nov 25, 2019
LSU. After the opening game I thought we had issues, and we were lucky to beat Arizona. LSU made us look totally like an early Croom coached team.

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023
To be honest with you it was after the third drive against LSU where we only had five total yards and I’m thinking What the 17 are we doing?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login