Governor's Cup question

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Does it have to be played in the state or could we possibly play in the Braves stadium kinda like Florida/Georgia cocktail party or Arkansas/aTm football series in Cowboys stadium every year. Just curious if we could sell out the Braves park for a college baseball rivalry game. Could be a good way to ramp up the rivalry on a more national stage.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Guarantee there aren’t 40k college baseball fans dying to see MSU vs OM play in the state of Georgia

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Obviously not, both fan bases would have to travel heavy for it but if planned correctly with maybe a concert afterwards or something it could be a fun time.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Does it have to be played in the state or could we possibly play in the Braves stadium kinda like Florida/Georgia cocktail party or Arkansas/aTm football series in Cowboys stadium every year. Just curious if we could sell out the Braves park for a college baseball rivalry game. Could be a good way to ramp up the rivalry on a more national stage.

Drinking heavy on a Monday? Well played sir.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Play that game in Georgia and you might have 1,000 fans there if you're lucky. And it's doubtful it would be on any TV. It's hard for us to understand because we live in the heart of college baseball country, but nationwide nobody cares. I check in on the Yahoo Sports website pretty much daily. I haven't seen even a mention of the College World Series all day.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Play that game in Georgia and you might have 1,000 fans there if you're lucky. And it's doubtful it would be on any TV. It's hard for us to understand because we live in the heart of college baseball country, but nationwide nobody cares. I check in on the Yahoo Sports website pretty much daily. I haven't seen even a mention of the College World Series all day.

This is true. And right now I am thanking God for that.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
WTF !!??!!
Sell out a 40,000 seat stadium for 2 college BASEBALL teams 2 1-2 hrs plus away from prospective campuses!
Damn!

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Some of y'all need to see an eye doctor cause you've got no vision. Hell yea we could sell that ***** out if people got excited for it. A one time event to celebrate the state of Mississippi winning back to back national championships. Omaha is 13 hours away from Starkville. Neither fan base had any issues filling that stadium and let's be real here there's no shot Ole Miss wins this year without the extra incentive we gave them all year long from celebrating ours. Half their damn trophy is ours.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We should also have our big football recruiting camp at the Peach Bowl so all the Atlanta 5 stars will show up.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
So the Governor’s Cup in a state where the governor isn’t ours? Brilliant logic.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I mean it is the "Governor's Cup". I've always thought that referred to MS and hence was played in our capitol city...of Pearl...

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
So the Governor’s Cup in a state where the governor isn’t ours? Brilliant logic.
Don’t tell me you’ve never looked at our governor and then looked at other states governor and felt a little envious ? Tot may be “ Special “ but I don’t think it the kind of special that makes me want his cup.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Talk about stupid. Yeah let's export all that revenue to Atlanta. Brilliant.

If we move it anywhere, it would be Biloxi. No reason at all to do this out-of-state.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Some of y'all need to see an eye doctor cause you've got no vision. Hell yea we could sell that ***** out if people got excited for it. A one time event to celebrate the state of Mississippi winning back to back national championships. Omaha is 13 hours away from Starkville. Neither fan base had any issues filling that stadium and let's be real here there's no shot Ole Miss wins this year without the extra incentive we gave them all year long from celebrating ours. Half their damn trophy is ours.

Half of that stadium is filled with season ticket holders from Nebraska. There weren't 30,000 MSU or Ole Miss fans in Omaha.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Not sure why you're underselling this so badly. I have it on good authority Jerry Jones has been blowing up Cohen's phone the last 24 hours. He wants to to get State and Ole Miss playing a baseball game in Cowboys Stadium on Thanksgiving afternoon, as a lead-in to the Egg Bowl. Of course, this will mean re-scheduling the Cowboy's game but that's small potatoes, Jerry KNOWS this rivalry is what America wants to see. Of course the TV execs are drooling, thinking about the ratings bonanza.

Some people have vision & the rest of yall wear bifocals.

Dawgfan61

Mar 2, 2008
Half of that stadium is filled with season ticket holders from Nebraska. There weren't 30,000 MSU or Ole Miss fans in Omaha.
I can't speak to Ole Miss and this year. But i was there last year and that stadium had maybe 1,000 Vandy/Neutral fans the remainder of the 28,000 were MSU fans for sure. That stadium was a sea of Maroon at the finals last year. The prices of the tickets confirmed that fact alone.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I can't speak to Ole Miss and this year. But i was there last year and that stadium had maybe 1,000 Vandy/Neutral fans the remainder of the 28,000 were MSU fans for sure. That stadium was a sea of Maroon at the finals last year. The prices of the tickets confirmed that fact alone.
047Dog doesn't like facts. He's about to hit you with the 'club sport' line.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Playing for a natty is slightly different than playing for the governor's cup.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
WTF !!??!!
Sell out a 40,000 seat stadium for 2 college BASEBALL teams 2 1-2 hrs plus away from prospective campuses!
Damn!

Braves stadium is actual around 4.5 hours from Starkville. Presumably more like 5.25 hours away if Dawg61 is going to the game and clogs up the left lane.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
There will be capacity issues at Jerry's World. Deep says Bill France is willing to reconfigure the infield at the Daytona Motor Speedway to accommodate ticket demand. I'm told that hosting the Governor's Cup is the last notch in his belt he really wants.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I haven't missed a home baseball game in over 10 seasons and in that same span I haven't driven to Pearl to see the Governors Cup played there either. You want fans to drive to Atlanta and watch these 2 teams play a meaningless mid week game in a 40,000 seat stadium (your number) when they now play in a 8,000 seat venue? At that same time remember you would be giving up parking revenues, concession revenues, renting the park, etc, etc, etc. I need some of what you are smoking or drinking

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There will be capacity issues at Jerry's World. Deep says Bill France is willing to reconfigure the infield at the Daytona Motor Speedway to accommodate ticket demand. I'm told that hosting the Governor's Cup is the last notch in his belt he really wants.

You know FIFA is sweating their asses off, terrified of a State vs Ole Miss baseball exhibition being scheduled against the World Cup finals in Qatar later this summer. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they just host it themselves.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Perhaps we should continue to invest in #OurState. Why allocate our resources to other states?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Allowing the coast to host a game makes the most sense. Olive Branch / Hernando doesn't have a stadium.
Maybe it will spur Jackson to go ahead and start trying to find a place for a stadium downtown, overlooking the river or something. I mean we're usually 20 years behind Birmingham, right? They built their stupid suburban stadium in 1988, and Regions Field opened in 2013. Trustmark opened in 2005, so we should be due to get the deal right by about 2030. Funny, if you use that timeline, we're about 8 years from where B'ham was in 2013. In 2005 B'ham was absolutely in the *******. It got worse after the recession, then they began pulling out in about 2010/2011 when Bell took over.

We can dream. Maybe folks will vote Chockwe out by 2029 and we'll be off to the races.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would say only other place would be to play it on the coast at mgm. Trustmark makes sense because it's centrally located in the state to have people come from both north and south.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Gas is dirt cheap right now. Why not?

fireworks4jeffy

Apr 28, 2015
I would say only other place would be to play it on the coast at mgm. Trustmark makes sense because it's centrally located in the state to have people come from both north and south.
One could also reconfigure Veterans Memorial Stadium for baseball, if one wanted tens of thousands of State and Ole Miss fans to have a godawful experience.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Winner take all bet your natty trophy bring back TA, Rowdey and Willy B. If we win we get your trophy and vice versa

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

“Eye roll”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login