Guess who is in the top 25 in RPI

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Truth be told... the record doesn't look that bad when you look at it on the RPI rankings board:
Based on quality of opponent, VMI and ULM are our only bad losses. 9-12 against Q1 and Q2 isn’t terrible. I think the blowout and run rule losses are what have skewed things so badly, and understandably so. We had a four game stretch in the Kentucky and Vandy series where we lost by a combined margin of 73-14. If all of those games are close losses instead then the perception is that we’re close, just not quite where we need to be yet.

It will all come down to how many conference games we win. And our schedule after this weekend is stout.

Reactions: Lettuce and onewoof

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I dont think people realize how UN-important RPI is in baseball.

The SEC is going to get 8-9 teams. You have to be in the top 8-9 teams to get in. Conference record and H2H record will matter muich more than RPI

Locks for the SEC right now:
South Carolina
LSU
Kentucky
Vandy

Can basically already put in Arkansas and Florida in as well-- Tennessee likely as well.

Leaves 1-2 (3 if you dont want to count UT) spots that teams like Mizzou, Bama, MSU, OM, TxAm, AU are all battling for.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
RPI is meaningless right now

I don’t know that it necessarily is, we’re past the midway point of the season now. Hoover is only six weeks from now.

RPI + conference record are generally the two key ingredients for SEC teams, but a strong RPI can give you a bit more wiggle room on what conference record you need.

But you generally have to win at least 12 or 13 regular season SEC games for it to be even worth discussing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

The SEC is going to get 8-9 teams. You have to be in the top 8-9 teams to get in. Conference record and H2H record will matter muich more than RPI

South Carolina
LSU
Kentucky
Vandy

Can basically already put in Arkansas and Florida in as well-- Tennessee likely as well.

Leaves 1-2 (3 if you dont want to count UT) spots that teams like Mizzou, Bama, MSU, OM, TxAm, AU are all battling for.
Why? Because that's what they've always done?

As the strength of the SEC increases, as born out in RPI, the committee will adjust.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Why? Because that's what they've always done?

As the strength of the SEC increases, as born out in RPI, the committee will adjust.

Its actually simple math. 64 teams get in. When you look at the automatic bids and things of that nature. The SEC getting more than that is just simply impossible unless you start limiting other power conferences to 2-3 teams and that just isnt going to happen.

As the conferences expand to 16 teams and bigger, the committee will have to adjust, but as of now, its a math problem and there just isnt a way

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

South Carolina
LSU
Kentucky
Vandy

At least 9 SEC teams have earned bids in the last 4 NCAA Tournaments.

I agree with USC, LSU, UK, Vandy, Arky and UF. UT still has work to do IMHO but I agree 3 spots available and if we want to get in we will have win our way into it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
At least 9 SEC teams have earned bids in the last 4 NCAA Tournaments.

I agree with USC, LSU, UK, Vandy, Arky and UF. UT still has work to do IMHO but I agree 3 spots available and if we want to get in we will have win our way into it.

If the season ended today, the SEC would have eight stone cold locks. The six you mentioned plus Tennessee and A&M. And right now Bama and Mizzou would definitely have a case with their overall records and RPI’s. A lot of baseball still to be played and it will work itself. But there’s nothing that says baseball can’t end up being like softball where the whole league gets in if it’s a really strong year.

I don’t see all 14 getting in this year, but 10 to 12 is absolutely on the table still.

Reactions: She Mate Me

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
10 to 12. Geez. There are only 33 at large bids. There is no way the committee is going to give 30 percent of the bids to the sec. It’s just silly to think about

ill bet any amount of money you’re willing to bet that

the sec won’t get 10-11- or 12 teams in.

sure there are that many that have in the running right now, but 8-9 is the number period. Most likely 9.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
10 to 12. Geez. There are only 33 at large bids. There is no way the committee is going to give 30 percent of the bids to the sec. It’s just silly to think about

sure there are that many that have in the running right now, but 8-9 is the number period. Most likely 9.

Would not even be the first time the SEC got 10 in. 10 was the record set in 2014.

I’m not willing to bank on it because there are some definite contingencies that have to be met. But I stand by my feeling that 10 to 12 SEC teams getting in is absolutely on the table still. The worst RPI team in the league is Ole Miss at 55, it’s an incredibly strong conference this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007

SEC has gotten 10 teams in the 2014, 2018 and 2019 tournaments. 10 this year wouldn't surprise me, and 11 isn't completely out of the question. 9 is the minimum. We won't be one of them though.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
SEC has gotten 10 teams in the 2014, 2018 and 2019 tournaments. 10 this year wouldn't surprise me, and 11 isn't completely out of the question. 9 is the minimum. We won't be one of them though.
When Texas & Oklahoma join...

go to 11 spinal tap GIF

Reactions: patdog and onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
To credit someone else's gif here a few weeks ago...

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

And to add one more

the lord of the rings pippin GIF

Aww what the hell one more to close it out

morgan freeman GIF

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Would not even be the first time the SEC got 10 in. 10 was the record set in 2014.

I’m not willing to bank on it because there are some definite contingencies that have to be met. But I stand by my feeling that 10 to 12 SEC teams getting in is absolutely on the table still. The worst RPI team in the league is Ole Miss at 55, it’s an incredibly strong conference this year.
Every year the sec has a strong rpi. This isn’t anything new.

when some of these bottom teams start playing each other you’ll see rpis drop

10 isn’t impossible. The only way we get 10 is if a team like Tennessee faulters down the stretch and ends up with a bad conference record But 9 is the number. 11 and 12 are totally out of the question.

again the bet is open to anyone willing to take. 10, 11, or 12

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
RPI is meaningless right now

This is actually the time when it does mean something. After 30-35 games, teams become much more range-bound as each game counts as a progressively smaller data point. We’re pretty much locked into a Top 50 or 60 finish even if we suck terribly down the stretch. A mediocre finish probably still has us in the Top 35-40.

What that means is RPI won’t be our limiting factor at all, which is a good thing. Win 13 SEC games in regular season and we’re in.

Reactions: onewoof and 8dog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is actually the time when it does mean something. After 30-35 games, teams become much more range-bound as each game counts as a progressively smaller data point. We’re pretty much locked into a Top 50 or 60 finish even if we suck terribly down the stretch. A mediocre finish probably still has us in the Top 35-40.

What that means is RPI won’t be our limiting factor at all, which is a good thing. Win 13 SEC games in regular season and we’re in.

13 gets us to the bubble. 13 and 0-1 in the tournament. We are out.

13 we will still need to win 1-2 in the tournament unless we sweep LSU or something like that on our way to 13 wins

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every year the sec has a strong rpi. This isn’t anything new.

when some of these bottom teams start playing each other you’ll see rpis drop

10 isn’t impossible. The only way we get 10 is if a team like Tennessee faulters down the stretch and ends up with a bad conference record But 9 is the number. 11 and 12 are totally out of the question.

again the bet is open to anyone willing to take. 10, 11, or 12

I see Mizzou, the loser of SBW series, and Georgia as being the only teams definitively out right now. Winner of SBW series will still be slightly off bubble but very much in contention. All other teams besides those teams have to consider themselves in the field at present time. That’s 10 in the field and one just on the outside at present.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Incorrect. We've simply played a good schedule and gotten our *** handed to us. We'll have a high RPI regardless. Now if we win 13+ SEC games, well, then it becomes a big deal. It's almost impossible to make post season play without those wins. Doesn't matter if RPI is 30 or whatever. Right now, we aren't in post season play.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
13 gets us to the bubble. 13 and 0-1 in the tournament. We are out.

13 we will still need to win 1-2 in the tournament unless we sweep LSU or something like that on our way to 13 wins

I’ll say now based on current schedule strength that we are 100% in at 13-17. No ifs ands or buts. I don’t know that we’ll get there. But we’re in if we do.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Mizzou has a better record, better conference record and better rpi than we do.

how are they out and us in ?

They are currently well ahead of us

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I’ll say now based on current schedule strength that we are 100% in at 13-17. No ifs ands or buts. I don’t know that we’ll get there. But we’re in if we do.
I’ll take that bet with as much money as your willing to bet.

13-17 and 0 wins in the sec tournament. We’ll be out. No doubt in my mind actually.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
All 14 teams have to feel like they are a good 2-3 week stretch from getting on the right side of things.

the whole if the season was over right now thing is pointless. All these middle tier teams are going to play each other and it’ll play out on the field. That’s why rpi and that sort of thing doenst matter.

ole miss barely got in, and. A lot of people thought they didn’t deserve to be in, and won 14 games in the sec last season. I’ll have to go back and look but I think only 1 sec team has ever gotten in with 13 wins.

our conference record vs other teams conference record and our h2h results against other teams are going to weigh much heavier than our rpi.

one thing I’m confident in is the sec won’t get more than 9, 10 is an out side shot but looking at other conferences right now it doenst look good. There is no way in hell the sec is getting 11 or 12.

the other thing I’m very confident in is our rpi won’t matter if we are 13-17 and lose first round of sec tournament. That’ll put our record at 13-18, our rpi won’t warrant or garner enough respect for a conference record that bad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Incorrect. We've simply played a good schedule and gotten our *** handed to us. We'll have a high RPI regardless. Now if we win 13+ SEC games, well, then it becomes a big deal. It's almost impossible to make post season play without those wins. Doesn't matter if RPI is 30 or whatever.

We have 9 quad one wins already. We aren’t just getting our *** handed to us.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Above is about 2018. Kentucky won 34 games but only 13 conference games. They lost their only game in the tournament. And had an rpi of 30.

chairman said the glaring weakness and wha t kept them out was their sub 500 record in conference and that 5 game under mark was just too much. 13-17 reg season and 0-1 tourney.

this would be exactly where we fall if we get 13 and can’t win in the tournament.

shows how much conference record matters and also shows sec tourney games are counted as conference games in the eyes of the people that matter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll take that bet with as much money as your willing to bet.

13-17 and 0 wins in the sec tournament. We’ll be out. No doubt in my mind actually.

Well neither of us will be right or wrong if that exact scenario doesn’t play out. Ton of work to do just to get to that point.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
“What’s the level?”

“3.6 Roentgen.”

“Not great, not terrible.”

Lemonis:
“What’s the maximum readable level?”
Brackey:
“3.6 roentgen”

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Another thing said in the article from above is only one at large team had a below 500 conference record. So that record is huge.

I realize that’s been 5 years ago now, but still very revelant.

13 alone won’t get us in, unless they come with a sweep of a team like LsU. Simply no way. It gets us on the bubble and gets us needing to win a game in the tournament

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Above is about 2018. Kentucky won 34 games but only 13 conference games. They lost their only game in the tournament. And had an rpi of 30.

chairman said the glaring weakness and wha t kept them out was their sub 500 record in conference and that 5 game under mark was just too much. 13-17 reg season and 0-1 tourney.

this would be exactly where we fall if we get 13 and can’t win in the tournament.

shows how much conference record matters and also shows sec tourney games are counted as conference games in the eyes of the people that matter

Did that 2018 UK team have the #3 SOS in the country? Because unless they were at least Top 10 or 15 there, I don’t know that its an adequate comparison.

We currently are at #3 SOS, and have series remaining against #4 RPI / #14 SOS, #6 RPI / #9 SOS, #23 RPI / #25 SOS, #39 RPI / #10 SOS, #45 RPI / #17 SOS, and #54 RPI / #12 SOS. Average of the 18 remaining games is #29 RPI and #14 SOS for all of them….for a team that is already in the Top 30 RPI with Top 3 SOS.

What you are not seeing is that, believe it or not, 13-17 and 33-34 wins will very likely put us in the Top 15-20 of RPI. Those teams don’t always host, but they ALWAYS get in if they are over .500. This is on paper probably the most difficult season-long schedule we have ever played. Win 10 more SEC games and that’s gonna be at least 6 or 7 more Quad 1 wins on top of the 9 we already have.

All that said, its a tall order.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Every year is its own animal. In 2021. Georgia was left out at 13-17 while 13-17 LSU and 12-17 Bama both got in. Different committees every year will value teams differently.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Every year is its own animal. In 2021. Georgia was left out at 13-17 while 13-17 LSU and 12-17 Bama both got in. Different committees every year will value teams differently.

Yep was just looking this up as well. Difference is in 2021: UGA, LSU, UA were the 8-9-10th rated sec teams. And the sec was a 9 team league. They didnt make ‘em a 10 team league or 11 like some here think is possible.

If we are the 9th best team in our league we’ll get in, no question, regardless of how many wins we have in conference. Issue is this season, 13 wins probably isn’t going to make us the 9th best team.

So as i said: league well get 9 teams. We gotta get inside that top 9 and quit worrying about RPI. RPI is a smaller part of it than again conference record, rank in conference, and h2h results

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Did that 2018 UK team have the #3 SOS in the country? Because unless they were at least Top 10 or 15 there, I don’t know that its an adequate comparison.

We currently are at #3 SOS, and have series remaining against #4 RPI / #14 SOS, #6 RPI / #9 SOS, #23 RPI / #25 SOS, #39 RPI / #10 SOS, #45 RPI / #17 SOS, and #54 RPI / #12 SOS. Average of the 18 remaining games is #29 RPI and #14 SOS for all of them….for a team that is already in the Top 30 RPI with Top 3 SOS.

What you are not seeing is that, believe it or not, 13-17 and 33-34 wins will very likely put us in the Top 15-20 of RPI. Those teams don’t always host, but they ALWAYS get in if they are over .500. This is on paper probably the most difficult season-long schedule we have ever played. Win 10 more SEC games and that’s gonna be at least 6 or 7 more Quad 1 wins on top of the 9 we already have.

All that said, its a tall order.

Again sec is always good. Considering the league got 10 teams in that season, with 4 national seeds, its safe to say Kentucky faced a pretty difficult schedule.

and what you are failing to realize in all those numbers… that when these teams start Beating on each other and losses start to pile up for certain teams their RPIs are going to drop. I mean didnt UTs drop from inside the top 10 to outside the top 20 with the losses to MizZou.

We are competing against all those teams for the final 2-3 spots the sec will get. Our conference will get 9 teams in the tournament, outside chance of 10. The RPI and all that jazz wont trump our conference record at the end of the day. A team with an RPI of 30, and goes 16-16 (season and tournament) and takes 2 of 3 from said team…will trump us who as a SOS of 3, RPI of 25, and goes 13-18 in conference. Again I’ll wager as much as you want on this. It’s just never happened and wont happen this year just because Mississippi State wants it to.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Hit batters and ball 4 , have created about 70 percent of our woes.
There has been improvement? Are we past that?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
One last nugget

last season alabama went 13-17, 0-1 in tournament so 13-18 overall.

won 31 games and had the #3 sos. Left out.

were the 10th best sec school record wise as well.

Why I’m very much confident and very much willing to bet. No one is going to care about our sos, rpi or anything if you can’t handle business inside your conference

Reactions: onewoof

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
also that yese Alabama won 2 games in the tournament including a win over the 6th best team in the country.

so after the tourney their conference records were
Alabama 14-19
Uga 14-19
LsU 13-18

the committee went with LsU who won 38 games opposed to the 31 Georgia won and lsus rpi was over 20 points higher for the final spot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login