Gus Malzahn is the new coach if we know what we are doing......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1) He runs the exact type 'system' we need for MS athletes - an innovative run-based spread, it fits Parson and Flowers to a T;
2) He can be had cheaper than normal because mouth-breathers think he's not good because of his current record;
3) Like Leach, this is likely his last stop of his career, so no worrying about job-hopping;

Sign him and say recruit who you want, get the exact guys needed to make this system hum. A good base is the rising 2nd and 3rd year players in the program, 2024 is year 0, then be off and running in 2025. We will not tell you who to recruit like the Auburn boosters, we will help you get who you want. Oh, here's money for your DC too, don't go cheap there. Pick and choose who you want from our MS-based recruiting staff. He has the name cache - Cam Newton for one, and goodwill from JR Plumlee can only help.

I know the clowns will say no, because reasons, but they are stupid. Bo Bounds is now on board with this, he understands what is needed. This guy is weathering a move up to P5 and playing these Big 12 teams close, and watch - they will beat Oklahoma State this weekend catching them at home after that big win over OU. Going to a bowl in the first year of P5 is a big deal. He beat Florida in 2021 and went to the AAC championship last year. Guy knows how to play competent football, and over the long haul, that system will provide results for us. His teams seem to always be able to find that 'lucky bounce'.

This is the hire to make. Our AD knew we needed stability and a sure thing when we hired Leach. We need it now more than ever, and we now have another candidate to provide it. We don't often get chances to get guys like this. Jackie (although not a system, was an established, successful coach), Leach, and now Malzahn. We need to take advantage of this opportunity.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
1) He runs the exact type 'system' we need for MS athletes - an innovative run-based spread, it fits Parson and Flowers to a T;
2) He can be had cheaper than normal because mouth-breathers think he's not good because of his current record;
3) Like Leach, this is likely his last stop of his career, so no worrying about job-hopping;

Sign him and say recruit who you want, get the exact guys needed to make this system hum. A good base is the rising 2nd and 3rd year players in the program, 2024 is year 0, then be off and running in 2025. We will not tell you who to recruit like the Auburn boosters, we will help you get who you want. Oh, here's money for your DC too, don't go cheap there. Pick and choose who you want from our MS-based recruiting staff. He has the name cache - Cam Newton for one, and goodwill from JR Plumlee can only help.

I know the clowns will say no, because reasons, but they are stupid. Bo Bounds is now on board with this, he understands what is needed. This guy is weathering a move up to P5 and playing these Big 12 teams close, and watch - they will beat Oklahoma State this weekend catching them at home after that big win over OU. Going to a bowl in the first year of P5 is a big deal. He beat Florida in 2021 and went to the AAC championship last year. Guy knows how to play competent football, and over the long haul, that system will provide results for us. His teams seem to always be able to find that 'lucky bounce'.

This is the hire to make. Our AD knew we needed stability and a sure thing when we hired Leach. We need it now more than ever, and we now have another candidate to provide it. We don't often get chances to get guys like this. Jackie (although not a system, was an established, successful coach), Leach, and now Malzahn. We need to take advantage of this opportunity.
I'm warm to it, but what's his staff look like?

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Bo Bounds is on board with it, that should be all you need to know to know this is a bad idea. We could do worse, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we do. But he shouldn't be one of the top candidates. Not to mention, why would he leave a P4 job to come here in the first place?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
1 - innovative 10 years ago. Everyone caught up to it when he was at Auburn
2 - define 'cheaper,' because he's making $4M and has a large buyout because he's signed thru 2027.
3 - his dream job is probably Arkansas, so when they move on from Pittman next year he could be in play there.

Malzahn fell off at Auburn with more resources to work with. This would be the ultimate retread hire - if we could even pull him.

Citing Bo Bounds does not bolster your argument.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Bo Bounds is on board with it, that should be all you need to know to know this is a bad idea. We could do worse, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we do. But he shouldn't be one of the top candidates. Not to mention, why would he leave a P4 job to come here in the first place?
Again, please name these candidates and explain how they are less of a risk than Malzahn.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1 - innovative 10 years ago. Everyone caught up to it when he was at Auburn
2 - define 'cheaper,' because he's making $4M and has a large buyout because he's signed thru 2027.
3 - his dream job is probably Arkansas, so when they move on from Pittman next year he could be in play there.

Malzahn fell off at Auburn with more resources to work with. This would be the ultimate retread hire - if we could even pull him.

Citing Bo Bounds does not bolster your argument.
There is too much bad blood at Arkansas, he won't leave us to go there, especially this late in his career. That ship has sailed.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
There is too much bad blood at Arkansas, he won't leave us to go there, especially this late in his career. That ship has sailed.
Bad blood with whom?

These hypotheticals are kinda silly anyway. Arkansas is probably the only job he'd leave UCF for.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bad blood with whom?

These hypotheticals are kinda silly anyway. Arkansas is probably the only job he'd leave UCF for.
Arkansas - duh.

Every advanced statistic shows his offense works. Bill Connelly and others said Auburn was beyond stupid for letting him go, and that has obviously been proven true. Leach's offense still worked after 20 years. So does Malzahn's.

Reactions: SirBarksalot

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm warm to it, but what's his staff look like?
Guy like him have the experience to choose his staff. I'm sure he is smart enough to realize he may need to retain a few of the guys we have. He really just needs to hit on a DC, he is the OC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Careful goat people will want people that worked for him but not him. He got fired at auburn because he wasn't saban. Name another available candidate that we could get realistically that coached 3 heisman finalist. He won the west twice as head coach. In the saban era. Only one other team has. LSU with burrow. Name another coach who has done that. Beat saban with less talent. Put together great offenses and still does and you know he can get dirty in recruiting. He knows our profile of players and our state and has recruited our footprint. The only thing is I wished he passed it more but he is better at scheme the run with speed that anyone. He will recruit speed and tempo.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Guy like him have the experience to choose his staff. I'm sure he is smart enough to realize he may need to retain a few of the guys we have. He really just needs to hit on a DC, he is the OC.
What's crazy is I've heard Lashlee and Kinne both mentioned. Both come from the same graham tree essentially. Both coached under Malzahn.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Arkansas - duh.

Every advanced statistic shows his offense works. Bill Connelly and others said Auburn was beyond stupid for letting him go, and that has obviously been proven true. Leach's offense still worked after 20 years. So does Malzahn's.
You are practicing revisionist history with Malzahn at Auburn. His offense was in decline - he was struggling to recruit quarterbacks and he's one of the worst QB development coaches out there. He lost at least four games there every year from 2013 thru 2020. During that span he lost five games three times and six games once. And that's with Auburn resources. You think he'd do better here with less resources against basically the same schedule?

As far as bad blood "with Arkansas," that's silly. He was beloved up there. There's been three different coaching staffs in place up there since he left. So, specifically, who does he have "bad blood" with?

I don't think we'd have to worry about Arkansas because they wouldn't want him, because he'd be a retread. But that's home for him and is his dream job.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You are practicing revisionist history with Malzahn at Auburn. His offense was in decline - he was struggling to recruit quarterbacks and he's one of the worst QB development coaches out there. He lost at least four games there every year from 2013 thru 2020. During that span he lost five games three times and six games once. And that's with Auburn resources. You think he'd do better here with less resources against basically the same schedule?

As far as bad blood "with Arkansas," that's silly. He was beloved up there. There's been three different coaching staffs in place up there since he left. So, specifically, who does he have "bad blood" with?

I don't think we'd have to worry about Arkansas because they wouldn't want him, because he'd be a retread. But that's home for him and is his dream job.
Who would you hire?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Who would you hire?
I'm not doing the hiring. Everyone's throwing names out and nobody has the first damn clue who is actually on Selmon's list.

But Gus Malzahn? Yeah, that'll really inspire our fan base to re-engage. We should be looking for hope, not someone who'll come in here and go 7-5 or 6-6 every year.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

No, please no.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas - duh.

Auburn wasn’t stupid for letting him. They were stupid for how they replaced him.

He’s done nothing at UCF to suggest Auburn made a mistake firing him. They’ve gotten worse each season he’s been there and are no better than they were when Josh Heupel left.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again, please name these candidates and explain how they are less of a risk than Malzahn.
I've said several times my top two are Clay Helton and Tom Herman. I'm sure there are other better candidates out there too. Again, not to mention, we're not hiring a coach away from another P4 program. And certainly not one who is due to make $5.5M in 2026 and 2027 under his current contract.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've said several times my top two are Clay Helton and Tom Herman. I'm sure there are other better candidates out there too. Again, not to mention, we're not hiring a coach away from another P4 program. And certainly not one who is due to make $5.5M in 2026 and 2027 under his current contract.
There is nothing you can say logically to convince me or anyone else that those guys would be as good as Malzahn.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Stop. That would be a ridiculously poor hire. He's not even having a good year. The Malzahn fade is real. And QB development is poor at best. His buyout is like $7MM+ too. Move along.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You aren't going to get that answer. But truth be known, the only person I see as equal to or more of a stabilizer is Danny Boy.
See, this shlt is vintage goat.

"I'll throw out a ridiculous name for head coach. It'll be a Stephen A-quality hot take. And then when it gets blown to smithereens, I'll just attack others for not telling us who they want as a coach."

I'll wait until word starts breaking about who we're talking to, and then I'll tell you who my preference would be from that group. Meanwhile, this whole thing is silly. I mean, if our criteria is beating Saban, why don't we give Croom a call?

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
What system or scheme on offense and defense do Helton and Hermon run that the rest of the SEC doesn’t see every week except with better players?
If I had to pick between your two and and Goat’s pick of Malzahn, as a better fit here at State, I’m picking Malzahn every day. I’m not saying he’d be my pick overall I’m just saying between the three.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Auburn resources and Auburn level of integrity. MSU can't measure up and down respectively.

Reactions: HarveyDogMan

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
See, this shlt is vintage goat.

"I'll throw out a ridiculous name for head coach. It'll be a Stephen A-quality hot take. And then when it gets blown to smithereens, I'll just attack others for not telling us who they want as a coach."

I'll wait until word starts breaking about who we're talking to, and then I'll tell you who my preference would be from that group. Meanwhile, this whole thing is silly. I mean, if our criteria is beating Saban, why don't we give Croom a call?
Blown to smithereens? Haha ok buddy. You and Cooter are fitting nicely into that 'mouth-breather' compartment I outlined in the OP.

• Sad

patdog

May 28, 2007
What system or scheme on offense and defense do Helton and Hermon run that the rest of the SEC doesn’t see every week except with better players?
If I had to pick between your two and and Goat’s pick of Malzahn, as a better fit here at State, I’m picking Malzahn every day. I’m not saying he’d be my pick overall I’m just saying between the three.
It's a lot more about recruiting players and getting them to execute than about scheme. You're not going to fool SEC defensive coordinators for very long. I'd be OK with Malzahn too. I just think there are a few better candidates out there. I also don't think he could come anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not doing the hiring. Everyone's throwing names out and nobody has the first damn clue who is actually on Selmon's list.

But Gus Malzahn? Yeah, that'll really inspire our fan base to re-engage. We should be looking for hope, not someone who'll come in here and go 7-5 or 6-6 every year.
I have inside sources.***

Reactions: patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That answer cool me off. He's 58 with some distance now from his prime. I need to be sure he brings an SEC staff with him. If he can do that, I'd be optimistic. Can he?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Herman doesn't move the needle for me. His side by side record is virtually identical to Malzahn. The only difference between the two is that Herman is younger, probably more motivated since he's not in P5 currently, and would be much, much cheaper.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That answer cool me off. He's 58 with some distance now from his prime. I need to be sure he brings an SEC staff with him. If he can do that, I'd be optimistic. Can he?
Seems to me like most of these guys hit their prime at 55-60.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Go and take a look at Malzahn’s offensive line recruiting in last couple years at Auburn.

I’m not saying he’d be a bad hire, but it should give anyone pause.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Who do you think would inspire them? If you are shooting down names, give one rather than shooting down others. Who would you think would inspire the fan base? Truth is any hire is going to piss off part of the fan base. Air raid folks want an air raid giy. Guys who liked dan want him or German. Guys who like youth will be pissed if we get a retread which seems to be your camp.
And it's a sport message board people have been speculating on here since croom was fired who might be coach so get off your high horse about people talking about coaches.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You aren't going to get that answer. But truth be known, the only person I see as equal to or more of a stabilizer is Danny Boy.
He who must not be named by a large portion of people on this board and the pay board. But you are correct. Both of those coaches have been through and both having big winning records in power 5 and both coached in the sec but our fans turn up their noses because of personal feelings

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So you say no on Malzahn and Mullen but Helton was canned for basically same reason as both of those guys. Explain

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login