Gus Malzahn is the new coach if we know what we are doing......

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Who do you think would inspire them? If you are shooting down names, give one rather than shooting down others. Who would you think would inspire the fan base? Truth is any hire is going to piss off part of the fan base. Air raid folks want an air raid giy. Guys who liked dan want him or German. Guys who like youth will be pissed if we get a retread which seems to be your camp.
And it's a sport message board people have been speculating on here since croom was fired who might be coach so get off your high horse about people talking about coaches.
I don't have a favorite. I don't hitch my wagon to one or two guys. There are plenty of coaches out there that I think could work here. I'm just not going to waste cycles talking about guys that likely aren't even in consideration for the job. At the end of the day, what's going to be the most important thing for us? Well, we've got to recruit better. We've got to have an excited and engaged fan base, because that's what's going to drive our NIL. And we've got to have someone who's going to develop players and build a culture of toughness here. And ideally I'd like someone who's going to bring some stability to the program and staff so we don't have to worry about going through this every couple of years. Those are my primary criteria. I don't care what type of offense or defense they run.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I agree with this. I think all three would be underwhelming.
Who would be overwhelming? A guy with three years experience or a guy who wouldn't even consider Starkville because they are winning at a high level in power 5 and on the upswing over their career. Guys like leipold aren't waiting on Starkville. Are we too good for guys that other power 5 programs would hire

patdog

May 28, 2007
So you say no on Malzahn and Mullen but Helton was canned for basically same reason as both of those guys. Explain
Helton was fired 2 games into the 2021 season at 1-1, coming off a 5-1 (5-0) season in 2020. USC's program hasn't been as good as him since then. Only reason I'd say no to Mullen is he's coached here before (2nd time around is never as good as the 1st), and I seriously question how motivated he'd be). I don't think he'd take the job either anyway.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Not to say we can’t or won’t pay the buyout price but Gus Bus is making 4MM at UCF with 3 years left on his deal so cheap he is not. He’s also 4-5 right now

Reactions: Drebin

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
It's a lot more about recruiting players and getting them to execute than about scheme. You're not going to fool SEC defensive coordinators for very long. I'd be OK with Malzahn too. I just think there are a few better candidates out there. I also don't think he could come anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
It’s a lot more about NIL money in regards to recruiting high school players or transfers. I don’t care who the coach is, he’s not really changing that hurdle much in comparison to the us and the rest of the SEC. So you better realize and accept who we are, and then decide the coach best suited for the attack. It has to be gorilla warefare here at State.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
At the end of the day, what's going to be the most important thing for us? Well, we've got to recruit better. We've got to have an excited and engaged fan base, because that's what's going to drive our NIL. And we've got to have someone who's going to develop players and build a culture of toughness here. And ideally I'd like someone who's going to bring some stability to the program and staff so we don't have to worry about going through this every couple of years. Those are my primary criteria. I don't care what type of offense or defense they run.
Recruiting better and NIL. Two things that, even if we get our asses into high gear, we will still be bottom of the SEC. So this is what you want us to lean into to even the gap? Alright.

Develop players? I'd like that too but this is probably the wrong era for that. That's why you need a system offense in order to recruit and develop towards.

Culture of toughness? Yeah, that'd be great.

Stability - I agree, that's why we need an older, experienced guy.

And back to NIL - we know we have limited funds for that, so it should be spent on defense, which is where we put most of our guys in the NFL, that's our cache at MSU, DLU whatever. We essentially need to let the system run the offense, let the system develop the players, since we are likely going to live in the portal there anyway, won't be much 'development'.

All of this adds up to Gus Malzahn being a perfect fit.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Helton was fired 2 games into the 2021 season at 1-1, coming off a 5-1 (5-0) season in 2020. USC's program hasn't been as good as him since then. Only reason I'd say no to Mullen is he's coached here before (2nd time around is never as good as the 1st), and I seriously question how motivated he'd be). I don't think he'd take the job either anyway.
Schiano says hello. Helton was fired because his offenses sucked and he couldn't get to the playoffs.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not to disparage Starkvegas but unless you are going home, Orlando and the surrounding area is a hard place to beat.
Yeah that's a kicker for recruiting a coach but his is small town guy. He loves Waffle House for Christ sake. We may not have a target but we go that.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Recruiting better and NIL. Two things that, even if we get our asses into high gear, we will still be bottom of the SEC. So this is what you want us to lean into to even the gap? Alright.

Develop players? I'd like that too but this is probably the wrong era for that. That's why you need a system offense in order to recruit and develop towards.

Culture of toughness? Yeah, that'd be great.

Stability - I agree, that's why we need an older, experienced guy.

And back to NIL - we know we have limited funds for that, so it should be spent on defense, which is where we put most of our guys in the NFL, that's our cache at MSU, DLU whatever. We essentially need to let the system run the offense, let the system develop the players, since we are likely going to live in the portal there anyway, won't be much 'development'.

All of this adds up to Gus Malzahn being a perfect fit.
First of all, we're in better shape NIL wise than you think. As far as recruiting goes, 20-25 is fine for us as long as we're keeping Mississippi kids at home, especially the big kids in the trenches.

Developing players is always going to be key for us. NIL is not just for recruiting new players but for keeping players you are developing. That's what our focus needs to be there.

When I say stability, I don't necessarily mean a head coach staying here for 8 years, although that would be great. I'm talking about stability on staff, not having turnover every year at the coordinator positions.

And if you'd undig your heels from this horrible argument you're making and actually look at what Malzahn's done over his career, you'd see that he's the exact opposite of what we need here.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think we could certainly do worse than Gus, no doubt about that. But I can’t get past the fact that he was an average coach at auburn for far too many years, and had way more resources at auburn than he will have here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we could certainly do worse than Gus, no doubt about that. But I can’t get past the fact that he was an average coach at auburn for far too many years, and had way more resources at auburn than he will have here.
I get that everybody has sources, but I actually do at Auburn and Arkansas, believe if you want, or don't. One bad thing about Malzahn is that, whether he fought it or not, the boosters essentially got the players for him, in other words, he lost out to them. That's why, later on, it appeared he was running a totally different program. But he still won at a pretty good clip. Auburn is toxic.....that's why Cohen was hired - to clean that shlt up. At MSU, he won't have this problem - hopefully. We need to get the Coach34's away from the program, for sure.

There's no love lost on the Arkansas - Malzahn front either. Mainly because Arkansas folks are crazy and vindictive.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
You are practicing revisionist history with Malzahn at Auburn. His offense was in decline - he was struggling to recruit quarterbacks and he's one of the worst QB development coaches out there. He lost at least four games there every year from 2013 thru 2020. During that span he lost five games three times and six games once. And that's with Auburn resources. You think he'd do better here with less resources against basically the same schedule?

As far as bad blood "with Arkansas," that's silly. He was beloved up there. There's been three different coaching staffs in place up there since he left. So, specifically, who does he have "bad blood" with?

I don't think we'd have to worry about Arkansas because they wouldn't want him, because he'd be a retread. But that's home for him and is his dream job.
Not to mention what happened when he was OC there
You a lil slow buddy
Take your lithium

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I get that everybody has sources, but I actually do at Auburn and Arkansas, believe if you want, or don't. One bad thing about Malzahn is that, whether he fought it or not, the boosters essentially got the players for him, in other words, he lost out to them. That's why, later on, it appeared he was running a totally different program. But he still won at a pretty good clip. Auburn is toxic.....that's why Cohen was hired - to clean that shlt up. At MSU, he won't have this problem - hopefully. We need to get the Coach34's away from the program, for sure.

There's no love lost on the Arkansas - Malzahn front either. Mainly because Arkansas folks are crazy and vindictive.
So what you're saying then is that we should be concerned with Malzahn's ability to recruit, since the boosters did it for him at Auburn. He won't have that luxury here.

And you need better sources in Arkansas. Let's travel back in time and revisit what actually happened.

Gus was an extremely popular and successful high school coach at Springdale with some high level talent, particularly QB Mitch Mustain. Nutt hired Gus at Arkansas as OC in 06, mainly to ensure that Gus would bring those kids to Arkansas with him. At Arkansas, Nutt stifled Gus's playcalling and a rift formed between the two. Gus left Arkansas for Tulsa the next year and Mustain (and WR Damian Williams) transferred to USC. Arkansas fans never forgave Nutt for it. That was the nail in the coffin for Nutt with Arkansas fans. There was no bad blood with Malzahn, except with Nutt directly. Nutt resigned the next year after the fan base had completely turned on him.

#TheMoreYouKnow

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So what you're saying then is that we should be concerned with Malzahn's ability to recruit, since the boosters did it for him at Auburn. He won't have that luxury here.

And you need better sources in Arkansas. Let's travel back in time and revisit what actually happened.

Gus was an extremely popular and successful high school coach at Springdale with some high level talent, particularly QB Mitch Mustain. Nutt hired Gus at Arkansas as OC in 06, mainly to ensure that Gus would bring those kids to Arkansas with him. At Arkansas, Nutt stifled Gus's playcalling and a rift formed between the two. Gus left Arkansas for Tulsa the next year and Mustain (and WR Damian Williams) transferred to USC. Arkansas fans never forgave Nutt for it. That was the nail in the coffin for Nutt with Arkansas fans. There was no bad blood with Malzahn, except with Nutt directly. Nutt resigned the next year after the fan base had completely turned on him.

#TheMoreYouKnow
OK buddy

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Who would be overwhelming? A guy with three years experience or a guy who wouldn't even consider Starkville because they are winning at a high level in power 5 and on the upswing over their career. Guys like leipold aren't waiting on Starkville. Are we too good for guys that other power 5 programs would hire
I didn’t mention any names. I’m looking at it from a long time season ticket holder who is less than 50/50 on renewing next year for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with the record. None of the 3 names referenced in the post I replied to would make me say - “OK, that’s the tipping point, I’m definitely back next year now…”

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Not to say we can’t or won’t pay the buyout price but Gus Bus is making 4MM at UCF with 3 years left on his deal so cheap he is not. He’s also 4-5 right now
Pretty sure his new deal runs though June of 2028, so 4 more seasons after this. His salary of $4M jumps to $5M in 2025 and then $5.5M for 2026 & 2027.

He isn't leaving Orlando for Starkville for "only" 6 or 7 million. He's got plenty of money, he's in a better location coaching at a bigger school with an easier path to the playoff. Why would he disrupt all that to rebuild one of the hardest jobs in the SEC?

Our fans, Bo Bounds, etc are looking at this through maroon glasses. He ain't coming here.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I didn’t mention any names. I’m looking at it from a long time season ticket holder who is less than 50/50 on renewing next year for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with the record. None of the 3 names referenced in the post I replied to would make me say - “OK, that’s the tipping point, I’m definitely back next year now…”
Who would move the needle for you? I'm not getting tickets for another arnett or Moorhead who don't have any experience and know what they are doing. Some of these up and coming G5 guys won't sell tickets either.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
His last year at auburn conf only he was 6-4 . Don't ask what leach's record was that year.

2019 he won 9 games
He lost number 10 Florida against Dan by 11. Number 4 uga by 7. Number 18 Minnesota in bowl game by 7.

2018 he won 8 games
1 point loss to lsu. Big loss to us in 2018 but remember we schemed special for that game and had the number one defense in the land that year. 6 point loss to Tennessee. 32 point loss to bama. 49 point victory over Purdue in their bowl game so bounced back

10 wins
8 point loss to 3 clemson
4 point loss to lsu
Beat number 1 bama
beat number 24 msu 49-10
21 point loss to number 6 uga in sec
championship
7 point loss to UCF in bowl game

8 wins
6 point loss to number 2 in clemson
13 point loss to tamu
6 point los to uga
18 point loss to bama

7 wins
Down year for them

8 wins

big loss to us that year but we were really good.
3 point loss to tamu
24 point loss to uga
11 point loss to bama
3 point ot loss to wisconsin

2013 they won the sec and went yo the championship
2 losses
Florida state in title by 3
LSU by 14

point is this "he fell off at auburn" is bs. He rarely lost big and he was competive most years even in the losses.

truthfullu he had one bad year at auburn with 7 wins 7 was his floor at auburn 13 wins was his ceiling

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
His last year at auburn conf only he was 6-4 . Don't ask what leach's record was that year.

2019 he won 9 games
He lost number 10 Florida against Dan by 11. Number 4 uga by 7. Number 18 Minnesota in bowl game by 7.

2018 he won 8 games
1 point loss to lsu. Big loss to us in 2018 but remember we schemed special for that game and had the number one defense in the land that year. 6 point loss to Tennessee. 32 point loss to bama. 49 point victory over Purdue in their bowl game so bounced back

10 wins
8 point loss to 3 clemson
4 point loss to lsu
Beat number 1 bama
beat number 24 msu 49-10
21 point loss to number 6 uga in sec
championship
7 point loss to UCF in bowl game

8 wins
6 point loss to number 2 in clemson
13 point loss to tamu
6 point los to uga
18 point loss to bama

7 wins
Down year for them

8 wins

big loss to us that year but we were really good.
3 point loss to tamu
24 point loss to uga
11 point loss to bama
3 point ot loss to wisconsin

2013 they won the sec and went yo the championship
2 losses
Florida state in title by 3
LSU by 14

point is this "he fell off at auburn" is bs. He rarely lost big and he was competive most years even in the losses.

truthfullu he had one bad year at auburn with 7 wins 7 was his floor at auburn 13 wins was his ceiling
Neat. Now do UCF.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I admit it. I see it. Goatholder is a dumbass. He is the one who keeps puking Gus Malzahn’s name to this board.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Here is what I would say, I don't care who we get and don't care how I feel about it now or through the summer, I want someone who in December 2024 gives me a good feeling about the quality of the product on the field and the direction of our team.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Best thread this board has had in ages. 10/10, absolutely would read again.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
1) He runs the exact type 'system' we need for MS athletes - an innovative run-based spread, it fits Parson and Flowers to a T;
2) He can be had cheaper than normal because mouth-breathers think he's not good because of his current record;
3) Like Leach, this is likely his last stop of his career, so no worrying about job-hopping;

Sign him and say recruit who you want, get the exact guys needed to make this system hum. A good base is the rising 2nd and 3rd year players in the program, 2024 is year 0, then be off and running in 2025. We will not tell you who to recruit like the Auburn boosters, we will help you get who you want. Oh, here's money for your DC too, don't go cheap there. Pick and choose who you want from our MS-based recruiting staff. He has the name cache - Cam Newton for one, and goodwill from JR Plumlee can only help.

I know the clowns will say no, because reasons, but they are stupid. Bo Bounds is now on board with this, he understands what is needed. This guy is weathering a move up to P5 and playing these Big 12 teams close, and watch - they will beat Oklahoma State this weekend catching them at home after that big win over OU. Going to a bowl in the first year of P5 is a big deal. He beat Florida in 2021 and went to the AAC championship last year. Guy knows how to play competent football, and over the long haul, that system will provide results for us. His teams seem to always be able to find that 'lucky bounce'.

This is the hire to make. Our AD knew we needed stability and a sure thing when we hired Leach. We need it now more than ever, and we now have another candidate to provide it. We don't often get chances to get guys like this. Jackie (although not a system, was an established, successful coach), Leach, and now Malzahn. We need to take advantage of this opportunity.
:ROFLMAO: This guy calling those who disagree with him "mouth-breathers", "clowns" etc. So much arrogance & self-confidence from someone so lacking in reasons to be.

Great post, man!***

Reality is, GM at Au worked with cigar boys willing to cheat and spend as much as necessary, and yet still could not maintain enough success to keep his job.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Neat. Now do UCF.
Already did on the other board
they lost to Tulane but beat them in the regular season. Lost to Duke in bowl game. Power 5 against G5. Lost 3 point game to navy. Lost to east Carolina. Lost to Louisville power 5. He won 9 regular season games last year. How many 9 win seasons he did to do?

heupels last year at UCF was 6-4. Covid year all conference opponents. He's been pretty good at Tennessee. The year before his power 5 opponents were Pitt and Standord. Not exactly good programs he went 10-3. He was undefeated except the lsu bowl game in 2018. So if you look at it. Huepel declined every year at UCF. So it was in decline when Malzahn came there.

Malzahns first year he went 9-4. One lost was to power 5 Louisville in a touchdown game. 4 point game to navy. Big loss to number 3 Cincinnati that year. And big loss to SMU that year.

So he won 9 games each his first two years in the same conference. Huepel won a lot but also had a 6 win year his last. Guess what Malzahn had 6 wins in the conf Conley season too. 9 games is nothing to bash. This year he moved up to a power 5 conference which tough to do no matter what that writer from Orlando thinks

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
There is bad blood with Gus and a portion of the Arkansas fanbase and admin stemming from Houston Nutt and Mitch Mustain fallout. Go post Gus name on the pig forum and you will see some venom from a segment of that fan base.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pretty sure his new deal runs though June of 2028, so 4 more seasons after this. His salary of $4M jumps to $5M in 2025 and then $5.5M for 2026 & 2027.

He isn't leaving Orlando for Starkville for "only" 6 or 7 million. He's got plenty of money, he's in a better location coaching at a bigger school with an easier path to the playoff. Why would he disrupt all that to rebuild one of the hardest jobs in the SEC?

Our fans, Bo Bounds, etc are looking at this through maroon glasses. He ain't coming here.
Exactly. Malzahn isn’t coming. Even if we do think he’s the best candidate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login