Gus Malzahn is the new coach if we know what we are doing......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Stop. That would be a ridiculously poor hire. He's not even having a good year. The Malzahn fade is real. And QB development is poor at best. His buyout is like $7MM+ too. Move along.
Dumb. I used to think you knew something. But I guess you’re in the coach34 category

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
NO SEC Retreads
NO More Systems
(has Auburn ever really recovered?)

I am glad no real candidates or ADs really pay attention to these posts

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1 - innovative 10 years ago. Everyone caught up to it when he was at Auburn
2 - define 'cheaper,' because he's making $4M and has a large buyout because he's signed thru 2027.
3 - his dream job is probably Arkansas, so when they move on from Pittman next year he could be in play there.

Malzahn fell off at Auburn with more resources to work with. This would be the ultimate retread hire - if we could even pull him.

Citing Bo Bounds does not bolster your argument.
And….his wife is crazier than a shíthouse rat.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
I'm fine with Malzahn, but whether or not you're positive or negative in regards to Malzahn being our guy, you're an idiot if your opinion changes based on today or really one game result

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He might get to 5-5 / 2-5 today. Yay….

In all seriousness, the thought of hiring Malzahn does kinda makes me nauseous. However, I could potentially get on board with it IF both of the following criteria are met:

1) No raise….or very very small raise at best….and affordable buyout are both mandatory. If he’ll come and work here for $4 million per year like he currently is at UCF, then I can get behind that. And that $4 million will go a hell of a lot further in Starkville than it does in Orlando. Maybe he wants to get back in the SEC or wants to stick it to Auburn that badly…who knows. But we absolutely cannot be paying his asś $5-$6 million per year and expect to be successful. We’ve gotta have some in the kitty for NIL, and the easiest way to do that is avoiding some albatross of a coaching salary and buyout.

2) He’s gotta bring a legit DC. UCF’s current issues are because their D sucks. Gus is handling business there on offense - they’ve gone from 60th in the country in yards per play his first year in 2021, to 40th last year, to 6th so far this year (and against the toughest schedule by far of those 3 years). But the D is bad. And that can’t happen here. We’ve never had a good season or even an average season at MSU when the D wasn’t top half of the league.

Meet those 2 requirements, and I can get on board. And while he’s a long way from the top of my list I still much prefer him to Herman or Helton.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
1) He runs the exact type 'system' we need for MS athletes - an innovative run-based spread, it fits Parson and Flowers to a T;
2) He can be had cheaper than normal because mouth-breathers think he's not good because of his current record;
3) Like Leach, this is likely his last stop of his career, so no worrying about job-hopping;

Sign him and say recruit who you want, get the exact guys needed to make this system hum. A good base is the rising 2nd and 3rd year players in the program, 2024 is year 0, then be off and running in 2025. We will not tell you who to recruit like the Auburn boosters, we will help you get who you want. Oh, here's money for your DC too, don't go cheap there. Pick and choose who you want from our MS-based recruiting staff. He has the name cache - Cam Newton for one, and goodwill from JR Plumlee can only help.

I know the clowns will say no, because reasons, but they are stupid. Bo Bounds is now on board with this, he understands what is needed. This guy is weathering a move up to P5 and playing these Big 12 teams close, and watch - they will beat Oklahoma State this weekend catching them at home after that big win over OU. Going to a bowl in the first year of P5 is a big deal. He beat Florida in 2021 and went to the AAC championship last year. Guy knows how to play competent football, and over the long haul, that system will provide results for us. His teams seem to always be able to find that 'lucky bounce'.

This is the hire to make. Our AD knew we needed stability and a sure thing when we hired Leach. We need it now more than ever, and we now have another candidate to provide it. We don't often get chances to get guys like this. Jackie (although not a system, was an established, successful coach), Leach, and now Malzahn. We need to take advantage of this opportunity.
No.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Recruiting better and NIL. Two things that, even if we get our asses into high gear, we will still be bottom of the SEC. So this is what you want us to lean into to even the gap? Alright.

Develop players? I'd like that too but this is probably the wrong era for that. That's why you need a system offense in order to recruit and develop towards.

Culture of toughness? Yeah, that'd be great.

Stability - I agree, that's why we need an older, experienced guy.

And back to NIL - we know we have limited funds for that, so it should be spent on defense, which is where we put most of our guys in the NFL, that's our cache at MSU, DLU whatever. We essentially need to let the system run the offense, let the system develop the players, since we are likely going to live in the portal there anyway, won't be much 'development'.

All of this adds up to Gus Malzahn being a perfect fit.
No it doesn't. We do not need to run the same system as many in the SEC do including Auburn.
He is a has been too

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Before this game they were a top 10 offense and a 4-5 record. That’s not a good look to me.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm m wondering if Malzahn still sucks. They just beat ok State 45-3. Same ok State that beat ou last week

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login