Had a conversation with a D1 coach about college basketball, Jans, and Renardo

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A cousin of my wife is a longtime college coach and he is now a d1 head coach.
Take these comments for what they are worth-

- I was shocked to find out how plugged in he is on MsU basketball history. He has coached in North Carolina for the last 10 years and was fully up on what's happened at MSU since the Stan's era.

- He brought up the heavyweight fight in Hawaii and said it was something coaches talked about for the following month or so.
He knew of Sidney and said the consensus was that it would either be a huge success or a dumpster fire.

- Jans recruits kids that you wouldn't want to have over for dinner. That's who his staff goes after and that's how he plans to succeed even at high level d1.

- This guy knows Jans from recruiting and recently hired an assistant who worked with Jans.

- He was at the MSU-Liberty game and said Howland coached a terrible game. He really likes Howland as a person and said he relys completely on shoe relationships for recruiting.

Nothing really shocking, just interesting that MSU was known by lower level coaches in another region. Him immediately bringing up the Hawaii fight was hilarious. Infamous isn't ideal.

Sep 17, 2012
- Jans recruits kids that you wouldn't want to have over for dinner. That's who his staff goes after and that's how he plans to succeed even at high level d1.

Meaning not good conversationalists? Not big on having dinner with 19-year-olds myself

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Probably kids that just reach across instead of asking you to pass the mashed taters.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Basically he’s going to recruit guys that can play ball but aren’t model citizens Pros and Cons to that approach obviously.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Think of this when I hear "taters". Andy Griffith fans already know what it is:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Basically he’s going to recruit guys that can play ball but aren’t model citizens Pros and Cons to that approach obviously.
Better be able to handle them. Jackie was always good about handling the riff raff too......until he wasn't.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t think I’ve ever had more trouble reading the pulse of a team as I do with this one. Part of it is obviously because there will be a ton of new faces, but I also just don’t have any idea as to how Jans will perform in this conference.

I sure hope that he’s going to be able to develop kids here like we haven’t seen in a long, long time, but you’ve also got to land some high-level talent to consistently compete in this league, and I’m just not sure where we stand there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Better be able to handle them. Jackie was always good about handling the riff raff too......until he wasn't.

Errything works til it doesn't. One of the dumbest things many MSU fans say is, "Leach's system has worked everywhere, it'll work here."

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Errything works til it doesn't. One of the dumbest things many MSU fans say is, "Leach's system has worked everywhere, it'll work here."

Looked to me like it worked pretty well last year. Record setting QB. Spreading the ball around to multiple receivers. Maybe a better defense will help with the win total.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I wouldn't say that's dumb. Like anything, you have to look at context. Will Leach's system work the same way it did at Texas Tech and Wazzou? No. But it didn't work the same way at those two programs either. He slowed it down more at Texas Tech and was more methodical. It was high-flying in Wazzou.

The key is if he adapts to the type of player we have around here. Not wholesale changes to the scheme. But I do think it will be a more plodding style, complimented by great defense.

Steve Spurrier did this too, when he got to South Carolina. His offense wasn't the same as he used at Florida, because he had different types of players. It was still Fun and Gun though.

All that said, there is more evidence on Leach's side than not.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Looked to me like it worked pretty well last year. Record setting QB. Spreading the ball around to multiple receivers. Maybe a better defense will help with the win total.

I think the offense is coming along too. Should be better this year and it was better in year 2 than year 1.

In regards to that offense and leach, I had to personally adjust my expectations. What I mean by that is I thought Leach’s system was going to be fast paced and high flying, kind of 3 and out or score quickly. Until he got here, I had not watched many Leach coached games. However, the offense (at least here at state) is much more of a ball control offense than I expected.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Will is gonna set more records this year, even if we go 5-7, he has to improve at making (or not giving up) big plays.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
"Jans recruits kids that you wouldn't want to have over for dinner. That's who his staff goes after and that's how he plans to succeed even at high level d1."

That worked for Urban Meyer. We'll see how it works at State.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
hard to put a prediction on this years team

my optimism says, leach teams get better YOY each of first 4 years, and this is year 3.....Rogers only started like 2 games 2020, and no spring? so basically a first year starter last season....son of a coach, and a true leader IMO....i really like him, but the media will tell you that he is just another Leach system QB....I think we will be better than most are making us out to be...

my pessimism is that i didnt really want to hire leach bc he is on back side of his career, and not exactly known as a good recruiter.....my biggest fear is when leach leaves MSU....i think it will be a very long, 3-4 years and will mirror the Croom era....i hope not though...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login