Hand it to the OU fans

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Down 24-0, their fans were still lively and into the game. It was annoying actually. I kept thinking "you're getting your butt kicked; you're not supposed to be into the game." That they were still so into the game was making me feel nervous like they knew something we didn't know.

Seems like a good fan base. Our fans would not have been so energetic down 24-0.

Reactions: vacock

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
Down 24-0, their fans were still lively and into the game. It was annoying actually. I kept thinking "you're getting your butt kicked; you're not supposed to be into the game." That they were still so into the game was making me feel nervous like they knew something we didn't know.

Seems like a good fan base. Our fans would not have been so energetic down 24-0.
We don’t have a boatload of national championships. Hell, only one conference championship. Their fans might be a tad bit more confident than ours???

None of that 💩 mattered today!!

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We don’t have a boatload of national championships. Hell, only one conference championship. Their fans might be a tad bit more confident than ours???

None of that 💩 mattered today!!
No, it did not. Part of kicking a team's butt in their own stadium though, is seeing their fans look deflated. I was just like "you guys should not be cheering right now."

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
I heard their band playing their fight song after they turned the ball over on downs there at the end.

ctgarric

Joined Nov 18, 2005
Feb 8, 2022
They were incredibly and oddly nice. I got a lot of ‘Thank you for coming’s and ‘Glad you’re here’s from their fans. Before during and after the game

Only saw one guy in the stadium that was losing his 💩 and 1 F-you shouted at us from some girl from far off after.the game.

The bar even briefly played Sandstorm and then played the OK fight song.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022

Nice shot at our fans after a big win. Congrats.

HWGcock

Joined Nov 2, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 2, 2022
They were incredibly and oddly nice. I got a lot of ‘Thank you for coming’s and ‘Glad you’re here’s from their fans. Before during and after the game

Only saw one guy in the stadium that was losing his 💩 and 1 F-you shouted at us from some girl from far off after.the game.

The bar even briefly played Sandstorm and then played the OK fight song.
Our fans should make a note of that next year when their fans travel here. Show some class!

AngloCock

Aug 14, 2023

I told my wife at one point, if we were losing this bad, WB would be almost empty. Shout out to OU.

Reactions: Thunderstick

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
WB would be 70% empty if the score was 24-0 for the other team. The "greatest fans in college football" thing is a total myth. Gamecock fans are the "greatest fans in college football when it comes to leaving the stadium early".

Yes, we notoriously show up loud and proud and can present quite a daunting atmosphere for the opposing team if we are playing well. But few stadiums deflate as rapidly as WB if we get down quickly. Shoot, I've seen the crowd taken out of the game after the first score by the opposing team.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
Yes, we notoriously show up loud and proud and can present quite a daunting atmosphere for the opposing team if we are playing well. But few stadiums deflate as rapidly as WB if we get down quickly. Shoot, I've seen the crowd taken out of the game after the first score by the opposing team.
It has been that way for 65 years that I am aware of, it is not a new thing. My stepfather graduated in 1971 and he says that even back then the place was generally almost empty by halftime most games. He says Carolina football is viewed as a social event not a sports contest by a huge percentage of the fan base. The game is an excuse to tailgate and socialize and the fans are more focused on getting back to the party than the game. I think he is right.

I think that attitude is a main reason Carolina football has never had sustained success. Deep down, the fans don't really care that much.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It has been that way for 65 years that I am aware of, it is not a new thing. My stepfather graduated in 1971 and he says that even back then the place was generally almost empty by halftime most games. He says Carolina football is viewed as a social event not a sports contest by a huge percentage of the fan base. The game is an excuse to tailgate and socialize and the fans are more focused on getting back to the party than the game. I think he is right.

I think that attitude is a main reason Carolina football has never had sustained success. Deep down, the fans don't really care that much.

Yep, I was going to mention the tailgating thing. It seems a hefty portion of the fan base are just as happy to just go back to tailgating. The game is almost accessory to tailgating and not the other way around.

Students as well. Even in big games, the student section regularly clears out, even if we are playing well and/or winning.

We used to get a lot of props for having such a loyal fan base and having such high attendance numbers, even during years of poor performance, but to your point, it was primarily a social event to see/be seen/get drunk. There probably was SOME element of truth to it back in the 90s or so, but I think with the explosion of entertainment options and diversions, we've lost much of that (however much of it there was).

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Yep, I was going to mention the tailgating thing. It seems a hefty portion of the fan base are just as happy to just go back to tailgating. The game is almost accessory to tailgating and not the other way around.

Students as well. Even in big games, the student section regularly clears out, even if we are playing well and/or winning.

We used to get a lot of props for having such a loyal fan base and having such high attendance numbers, even during years of poor performance, but to your point, it was primarily a social event to see/be seen/get drunk. There probably was SOME element of truth to it back in the 90s or so, but I think with the explosion of entertainment options and diversions, we've lost much of that (however much of it there was).
The OU student section was quite cleared out at the beginning of the second half. I even made the comment to those around me in 15 it was nice to see our students aren't the only ones that leave early.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
OU fans did stick around, however, they may have seemed louder on TV (probably due to a conveniently located crowd mic) than they were in the actual stadium. Even from the beginning. We took the air out of their sails early, and while there were some trying to hype up their team, they knew it was over.

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022

Your stepfather is absolutely correct.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Man, I remember our 2022 game against Missouri. We were riding a 4-game win streak and were sitting at 5-2 (2-2). A VERY beatable Missouri team came to town. From the opening kick I told my wife "man, the crowd is absolutely dead today". It was quieter than a funeral. Of course, that foreshadowed what was to come as Missouri's weak offense sliced through our D like hot knife through melted butter for 2 easy, long TD drives to put the game away by halftime. The players showed up flat as well, but the crowd didn't do them any favors.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022

Or maybe the fact that we haven't experienced much success in our 132 years is why fans see it that way.

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
There are exception like OK. but most stadiums empty out as fast and as often as SC when their team is losing.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login