Has the B1G outplayed the SEC?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Obviously not on the field, but at the negotiating table? As of now the B1G has some huge brands under their umbrella, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. They have media deals in place with FOX, CBS, and NBC. I saw an article today suggesting that the B1G is planning to approach Apple TV now that they have a West Coast presence to gauge their interest in an “after dark” deal.

The SEC meanwhile, is tied exclusively to ESPN, a distributor that reportedly has cash flow issues. I think the argument can at least be made that the SEC has been outmaneuvered so far.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Obviously not on the field, but at the negotiating table? As of now the B1G has some huge brands under their umbrella, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. They have media deals in place with FOX, CBS, and NBC. I saw an article today suggesting that the B1G is planning to approach Apple TV now that they have a West Coast presence to gauge their interest in an “after dark” deal.

The SEC meanwhile, is tied exclusively to ESPN, a distributor that reportedly has cash flow issues. I think the argument can at least be made that the SEC has been outmaneuvered so far.
I hadn’t considered that angle, but thanks for bringing it up!****

It’s a helluva lineup now. USC vs. Ohio State? Yes, please. I could actually consider watching B1G football for the first time in my life. It was a power move, for sure.

Adding Oklahoma was huge for the SEC, though. Probably a bigger single addition than any other conference has made. They are rolling athletically right now, and I’m the mix with several schools that are doing the same (Bama, Lootie, etc).

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I do think the Big 10 got the superior TV deal. Having three guaranteed time slots on three major networks is great for them.

Reactions: eckie1

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We need to bust up the ACC and get about 4 of those schools. Can't have the big 10 out maneuvering us. But another point of view might be are they spread too thin ? Quite a spread from PSU to USC. Gonna be making a big carbon footprint. But I guess it is fine for colleges and politicians. My hotrod tho is another story

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

I don't think so, yet.

The logical and best expansion of the SEC is to remake the 1921-1932 Southern Conference. Those schools are trapped in the ACC (UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, NCST, Va Tech).
Unless the SEC wanted to have a separate conference on the west coast we are affiliated with, expansion to west adds little value.

Utah, Colorado, OKSt, and Kansas are the only ones worth adding that are not in the Pacific time zone. CU and Utah are far outside the footprint.

For Media deals, ESPN is owned by the largest Media company. If the cut the cord movement continues, the ESPN app is where you'll find all the SEC games. Meanwhile, the Big10 fan has to subscribe to 3 and find that game.

Also, since ESPN has broadcast rights to other sports (NFL) and the Super Bowl. While an SEC fan may not care about a Big 10 network, or CBS sports subscription.
A Big10 fan that wants to watch the those other games will have to buy ESPN streaming.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The PAC 12 is to the Big 10 what the SWC/Big 12 is to the SEC.

Longtime partner conferences who had schools leave for the other conference.

It’s not a matter of the B1G/SEC outplaying the other. The conferences took advantage of its partners’ weaknesses.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think so. The Big 10 is still trying to catch up to the SEC. They went to 3 different networks because they had to to get a comparable deal to the SEC’s new deal. And none of those networks cover sports like ESPN/ABC do.

the SEC is sitting in a position of strength and is smartly waiting for the chance to add the prime ACC schools whenever that time comes. It’ll be a huge fight, but I think the Big 10 has spread itself too far & the SEC will have the advantage.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I do think the Big 10 got the superior TV deal. Having three guaranteed time slots on three major networks is great for them.
They got more money because they made the deal after the SEC. That's all.

Like Jeff Simmons got a bigger contract the Chris Jones. And Jones will get a bigger one this year.

Reactions: Dawgg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

It’s a helluva lineup now. USC vs. Ohio State? Yes, please. I could actually consider watching B1G football for the first time in my life. It was a power move, for sure.

Adding Oklahoma was huge for the SEC, though. Probably a bigger single addition than any other conference has made. They are rolling athletically right now, and I’m the mix with several schools that are doing the same (Bama, Lootie, etc).
I somehow missed USC and UCLA to the B1G. I've been enjoying the thought of them being left out in the cold. Jokes on me I guess.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

If you haven’t been watching Big10 football then I’m not sure what to tell you. It’s as good as the SEC and has been for awhile now.

Reactions: MidsouthDawg

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think the SEC should be in the business of expanding the conference just to expand it. I think there has to be a regional flavor to the conference because many of the fans in this region have an emotional attachment to the south which fuels their interest. And that's not to mention the economics of having a football team and all of the associated support staff travel insane distances which eats into class and practice time.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I don't think the SEC should be in the business of expanding the conference just to expand it. I think there has to be a regional flavor to the conference because many of the fans in this region have an emotional attachment to the south which fuels their interest. And that's not to mention the economics of having a football team and all of the associated support staff travel insane distances which eats into class and practice time.
Adding Clemson & FSU seem like no brainers to me

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
They got more money because they made the deal after the SEC. That's all.

Like Jeff Simmons got a bigger contract the Chris Jones. And Jones will get a bigger one this year.
It’s not just about the money, it’s about having three different major partners. The Big 10 will have their usual Big Noon slot on FOX and are also adding the CBS 2:30 slot and an NBC prime time game.

The SEC went all in with ESPN who is frankly a company in a state of flux right now for a variety of reasons.

Even if you take money out of the equation, I think the Big got an awesome deal just based on network partners. Maryland vs Charlotte in Week 2 is being broadcast nationally on NBC. If we were playing Charlotte it would be at 11 am on the SEC Network.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
As long as Florida State, North Carolina, and Virginia eventually end up in the SEC, the SEC will remain the most important conference. If all 3 go to the Big 10, we may get passed.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Big 10 football is awesome. Y’all are crazy. Sure, I’m as die hard SEC as anyone and we typically have the best team every year but the mid tier and and bottom teams aren’t really any different than the SEC currently.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I somehow missed USC and UCLA to the B1G. I've been enjoying the thought of them being left out in the cold. Jokes on me I guess.
Looks like we’ve found what I like to call your “knowledge gap.” I refer to them that way, and everyone has them. A knowledge gap usually is discovered in a social setting, when everyone at the table looks at you after you ask a question and people aren’t sure if you’re joking. Some examples of knowledge gap questions might be:

“Australia is a continent?”
“What do you mean all 50 states? Don’t you mean 52?”
“There’s a war in Ukraine?”
“The Godfather? Sounds good, I’ll have to look it up.”

Luckily your gap appears to be in an overall unimportant field, college athletics. Oh and if you’re reading this and don’t think you have a knowledge gap, you definitely do, you just haven’t found it yet.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
And having 3-4 time slots on ESPN, ESPN2, the SEC Network is not the same as that how?
Eyeballs. Network television (FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS) is better for exposure than the third or fourth ESPN game. Especially when ESPN may have three SEC games on their channels simultaneously.

In Week 3 this year, Florida-Tennessee, Arkansas-BYU, and Ole Miss-Georgia Tech all kick off at roughly the same time. Imagine if you could put one of those games on NBC instead of hiding it away on the SEC Network.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I think the demise of ESPN is greatly exaggerated. With its lineup of live sports, it has great value. It was been under incompetent leadership for a decade or more. The right leader can easily turn it around and make it into a cash cow once again.

Reactions: ChE1997 and patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Big 10 football is awesome. Y’all are crazy. Sure, I’m as die hard SEC as anyone and we typically have the best team every year but the mid tier and and bottom teams aren’t really any different than the SEC currently.
I’ll take your word for it…. Keep us posted!!***

I know they are usually good during bowl season. But I always feel the need to apply eye bleach after watching some B1G football minus a couple games a year. I can’t get into it. I don’t watch PAC ? football either, if that helps.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

No. Silly question tbh

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
To demonstrate the difference in network viewership and cable viewership, I think WWE is a good case study.

Monday Night Raw has been on the air for 30 years, mostly on the same channel, USA, which is a reputable channel that draws good numbers historically. WWE’s other show, Friday Night Smackdown, hasn’t been around as long and was a clear number two show for them in terms of TV viewership for a long time…. Until late 2019, when Smackdown moved to FOX every week. Smackdown has since suprassed Raw as their clear number one show that draw bigger ratings every week. Not much changed about the product, just where/how it was being distributed.

Network TV just gets you more eyeballs than ”cable” channels as they were referred to for a long time.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

We have a decent size segment of the fan base that bitches because we don’t play exclusively at 7pm at least 8 times per season. Just think if the SEC had multiple networks with morning and afternoon games. Their heads would assplode

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

They just need to be really careful about who they add. The worst thing that can do right now is a knee jerk reaction. All they have shown me is anybody can join the Big Ten and keeping up with three zones is gonna be tougher than it looks.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Those teams are so spread out you will not see USC vs Ohio State every year. Probably not even every three years. Personally believe they brought the Big 10 brand down a notch. They are no longer the Big 10. They are some Toxie Bastard conference. To many PAC 12 teams. They might try to take over.

Side Questions: If Alabama vs Oklahoma is on TV at the same time USC and Ohio State is on TV who gets the rating? If LSU is playing Texas at the same time Michigan is playing UCLA who gets the most ratings?

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Those teams are so spread out you will not see USC vs Ohio State every year. Probably not even every three years. Personally believe they brought the Big 10 brand down a notch. They are no longer the Big 10. They are some Toxie Bastard conference. To many PAC 12 teams. They might try to take over.

Side Questions: If Alabama vs Oklahoma is on TV at the same time USC and Ohio State is on TV who gets the rating? If LSU is playing Texas at the same time Michigan is playing UCLA who gets the most ratings?
1) USC and Ohio State would get the rating, but it would be close
2) LSU and Texas would get the rating

Reactions: GloryDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Unless you think that the SEC should have taken this gigantic asś west coast leap of faith immediately after being in a historical position of strength following the TX / OU additions, I’m not sure what you would expect the SEC to do.

To apply a recruiting metaphor, the B1G signed on a bunch of 3-3.5* athletes with decent film. Good for them, but the SEC didn’t have room for them. Story of those 2 conferences throughout history.

The B1G was always going to win the TV contract battle based on nothing more than their footprint covering more households. Would have been that way even without the West Coast additions. Good for them. None of that matters in the end though. Games are won and lost on the field, and they still have zero presence where they need it to make up ground on the SEC there.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Or buy a simple antenna, I've got one mounted on a chain link fence pole maybe 10' in the air and get all of those channels along with about 12 others no problem in poor old Starkville.
This. I think being on network tv, a station you just hit the power button and there it is... is more advantageous. Especially if ESPN goes to subscription.

it is much easier to watch the cbs game than to fool with a dish at the tailgate for sure.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This. I think being on network tv, a station you just hit the power button and there it is... is more advantageous. Especially if ESPN goes to subscription.

it is much easier to watch the cbs game than to fool with a dish at the tailgate for sure.
Plus the antenna is a much better picture than what you get through the wires and wifi

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Bama and Georgia are the 2 biggest brands in college football right now. And Texas is one of if not the biggest brand in college athletics.

Reactions: patdog and 8dog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s not just about the money, it’s about having three different major partners. The Big 10 will have their usual Big Noon slot on FOX and are also adding the CBS 2:30 slot and an NBC prime time game.

The SEC went all in with ESPN who is frankly a company in a state of flux right now for a variety of reasons.

Even if you take money out of the equation, I think the Big got an awesome deal just based on network partners. Maryland vs Charlotte in Week 2 is being broadcast nationally on NBC. If we were playing Charlotte it would be at 11 am on the SEC Network.
Pretty sure that’s because the Big Ten doesn’t want to put their best games up against Alabama vs Texas. It’s a weak lineup from them that day anyway. Honestly, NBC should be pissed that this is the content they get.

MidsouthDawg

Aug 1, 2017
The PAC is imploding in real time, last night Arizona, Arizona State and Utah all voted to join the Big 12 next year along with Colorado... The PAC only has four schools left... Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State and Cal... Expect ACC to start fracturing soon...There are going to be 3 mega conferences the SEC, B1G, and Big 12

MidsouthDawg

Aug 1, 2017
Big 12 will definitely be third in that scenario... But considering they were left for dead a few months ago, 3rd place isn't bad

Reactions: eckie1

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
With so many players, teams and coaches in the portal every year, I'm not sure what college football will look like in 5 years. Throw in some Sunday games and and maybe pull fans from the NFL. Maybe we'll see networks in the portal if ratings drop or they need cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpNewGround
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login