Has the B1G outplayed the SEC?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I hadn’t considered that angle, but thanks for bringing it up!****

It’s a helluva lineup now. USC vs. Ohio State? Yes, please. I could actually consider watching B1G football for the first time in my life. It was a power move, for sure.

Adding Oklahoma was huge for the SEC, though. Probably a bigger single addition than any other conference has made. They are rolling athletically right now, and I’m the mix with several schools that are doing the same (Bama, Lootie, etc).
If sec ends up with fsu Clemson and north Carolina schools I think SEC will be fine

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you haven’t been watching Big10 football then I’m not sure what to tell you. It’s as good as the SEC and has been for awhile now.
Nope, not even close. I'll watch somebody make oatmeal on a cooking show B4 I watch 2 Big Ten teams play. As a sidenote, when I typed "Big Ten teams" just now, predictive made it Big trans Teams, just sayin

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
big can get as many teams as they can but they will never match the dedicated eyeballs of the southern teams. fans in their footprint would rather watch uga vs aub than sc vs psu

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Obviously not on the field, but at the negotiating table? As of now the B1G has some huge brands under their umbrella, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. They have media deals in place with FOX, CBS, and NBC. I saw an article today suggesting that the B1G is planning to approach Apple TV now that they have a West Coast presence to gauge their interest in an “after dark” deal.

The SEC meanwhile, is tied exclusively to ESPN, a distributor that reportedly has cash flow issues. I think the argument can at least be made that the SEC has been outmaneuvered so far.
They have been THE trend setter at the negotiating table for a long, long time.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
For football this all makes sense. Maybe even basketball but every other sport will suffer.

I know football pays the bills but I don’t see how expanding so far and wide geographically in the end will be a good thing.
Travel costs will go up slightly. Fan attendance will drop even more for road games. I'll be betting on the home teams.

Reactions: eckie1

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Obviously not on the field, but at the negotiating table? As of now the B1G has some huge brands under their umbrella, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. They have media deals in place with FOX, CBS, and NBC. I saw an article today suggesting that the B1G is planning to approach Apple TV now that they have a West Coast presence to gauge their interest in an “after dark” deal.

The SEC meanwhile, is tied exclusively to ESPN, a distributor that reportedly has cash flow issues. I think the argument can at least be made that the SEC has been outmaneuvered so far.
Remind me again, how many championships does the B1G have in the last 5 years?

I heard Cowherd blaring about how they are a coast to coast conference that will be on TV from 11 am to 1 am. Whoopty shlt. The Hawaii game isn’t destination TV. It’s entertainment for college football junkies and gambling degenerates: USC is not what people think they are. They are not even in the top 25 for football revenue. Nobody in Southern California gives a shlt about college football and are not going to subscribe to ESPN+ or whatever the Fox equivalent will be to watch USC Minnesota. My question is, the B1G loves to put some of their key games at 11 CT. Is that Michigan USC game going to have a 9 AM PT kickoff?

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
It’s not just about the money, it’s about having three different major partners. The Big 10 will have their usual Big Noon slot on FOX and are also adding the CBS 2:30 slot and an NBC prime time game.

The SEC went all in with ESPN who is frankly a company in a state of flux right now for a variety of reasons.

Even if you take money out of the equation, I think the Big got an awesome deal just based on network partners. Maryland vs Charlotte in Week 2 is being broadcast nationally on NBC. If we were playing Charlotte it would be at 11 am on the SEC Network.
However, no one is interested in watching Maryland vs Charlotte. Ad revenue may hit break even at best.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Ok. Which one brings more eyeballs to table? If you are just weighing recent football results, sure.
It’s not just football. OU is a softball dynasty, getting really good at baseball again and they’re always in the hunt for the playoffs. They’re riding high in a lot of sports right now, and UT isn’t.

Yes, Texas is a state with massive amounts of eyeballs. But, at least here in DFW, UT isn’t a very big deal. Nowhere near what aTm, OU and TCU are.

Reactions: Dawgg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We need to bust up the ACC and get about 4 of those schools. Can't have the big 10 out maneuvering us. But another point of view might be are they spread too thin ? Quite a spread from PSU to USC. Gonna be making a big carbon footprint. But I guess it is fine for colleges and politicians. My hotrod tho is another story
Can you imagine when UCLA plays at Rutgers in a 3 game baseball weekend series. Or the women's golf team at Penn State has to go to Seattle to play Washington? Talk about a whole lot of expenses for the non revenue sports. Their nice big football tv package is gonna get eaten up in travel expenses.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You’ll have to spell that one out for me. They aren’t even comparable the past 10 years.
TEXAS >>>> Oklahoma. It’s pretty simple. Texas could go in a Nick Saban at Alabama run at any time with the right coach. Oklahoma can’t.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
TEXAS >>>> Oklahoma. It’s pretty simple. Texas could go in a Nick Saban at Alabama run at any time with the right coach. Oklahoma can’t.
I believe that Texas is a bigger brand than OU, but I find it hard to perceive a program with exactly 1 national championship since Nixon was president as being one coach away from being a decade and a half national power. I feel like we’ve been hearing “Texas is back” for the past 25 years with no real evidence that it really is.

In terms of the better football program and product on the field, over the past 40-50 years, OU has had sustained success with moments of mediocrity while Texas has sustained mediocrity with moments of success.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Can you imagine when UCLA plays at Rutgers in a 3 game baseball weekend series. Or the women's golf team at Penn State has to go to Seattle to play Washington? Talk about a whole lot of expenses for the non revenue sports. Their nice big football tv package is gonna get eaten up in travel expenses.
Minneapolis to Tallahassee s a shorter trip than Minneapolis to Seattle.

Reactions: patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
OU, athletically, is on a whole other level right now that UT has never been on in my lifetime, if ever. And, they recruit Texas SIGNIFICANTLY better than UT does from what I’ve seen

OU drinks the Texas milkshake like a mother17er. To say that there’s something (in football especially) that UT can do that OU can’t is very misguided statement, at best.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I believe that Texas is a bigger brand than OU, but I find it hard to perceive a program with exactly 1 national championship since Nixon was president as being one coach away from being a decade and a half national power. I feel like we’ve been hearing “Texas is back” for the past 25 years with no real evidence that it really is.

In terms of the better football program and product on the field, over the past 40-50 years, OU has had sustained success with moments of mediocrity while Texas has sustained mediocrity with moments of success.
UT is Old Miss with actual money. They never lose a party or a press conference. But, their trophy case is laughable compared to OU.

I don’t like either institution. But when it comes to sports (all of them), the Squatters own UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChE1997 and Dawgg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Eventually all this will break. It's not supportable. At least how big 10 and big 12 are doing it. Not for all of athletics. Football will either split off into its own thing or these conferences will split again. If the sec adds say 6 more and it decides to split up down the road, miss state might not end up in a strong conference afterwards. The big money ones will want to stay together and kick schools like us Kentucky vandy South Carolina out to our own conference if it gets too big and they decide to split again

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
If you don't immediately recognize why Texas was ABSOLUTELY the bigger add, and they were, you never will.
You can hide behind baseless, blanket statements all you want. I don’t care about changing your mind.

I’ve laid every piece of evidence out to support my stance. And you’ve merely said “muh whorns is better” with nothing to back it up.

If UT was the bigger add, how is OU so much better than them at every sport? They have natties in damn near everything in my lifetime.

Do you live anywhere near Texas? I do, in fact in the 4th largest MSA in the country. And it doesn’t take a genius to realize how little support UT has here compared to aTm, OU and TCU when it comes to football Saturdays at a restaurant, car stickers, apparel worn, etc.

Some of y’all are picking a ridiculous hill to die on.

Reactions: Dawgg and ChE1997

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It’s not just about the money, it’s about having three different major partners. The Big 10 will have their usual Big Noon slot on FOX and are also adding the CBS 2:30 slot and an NBC prime time game.

The SEC went all in with ESPN who is frankly a company in a state of flux right now for a variety of reasons.

Even if you take money out of the equation, I think the Big got an awesome deal just based on network partners. Maryland vs Charlotte in Week 2 is being broadcast nationally on NBC. If we were playing Charlotte it would be at 11 am on the SEC Network.
How is having to deal with 3 partners a good thing?

If you are a Big 10 fan, you will soon have to pay for Fox sports, CBS, and NBC... If you say "Broadcast TV"!! you are too old for this discussion. Less than 16% of the country watches over the air tv...

ESPN is not going anywhere, and the for sure are not pissing off the only way to sell good ads.

SEC Network is a national broadcast as well.

This is not 1995....

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
UT is Old Miss with actual money. They never lose a party or a press conference. But, their trophy case is laughable compared to OU.

I don’t like either institution. But when it comes to sports (all of them), the Squatters own UT.
And that money wants to guide recruiting (which is why the 5*'s at UT suck so often) and call plays.

To be a long time football coach at Texas, you have to win games and keep the boosters out of your business.

They do have TONS of money, and that is the issue...
Look at the sideline of a UT game, It's all high rollers showing off. And that's not just the dozens of Billionaire donors, Dell computer made 2,700 austin area employees Millionaires in the early 2000's, those people like football too...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Adding Clemson & FSU seem like no brainers to me
They will be, but not quite yet. It's just not needed at the moment, and too much money to make it happen.

If sec ends up with fsu Clemson and north Carolina schools I think SEC will be fine
This. B1G will go to 20 with Stanford and Cal, and the SEC will eventually do the same, likely the 2 above, North Carolina and either NC State/Virginia/Virginia Tech. And that will be that.

The ACC will survive too, they'll add a few pieces and be like the Big 12.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For football this all makes sense. Maybe even basketball but every other sport will suffer.

I know football pays the bills but I don’t see how expanding so far and wide geographically in the end will be a good thing.
Travel is not as big of a deal as many think. Especially by air.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

Just think, we'll probably see the next Manning QB come to DWS in the near future to start against our Dogs! Should be a real spectacle.

• Haha

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Two of the biggest issues about ESPN is.....
1. They outsource their camera work without having basic standards on the gear used. Bama games are always picture perfect, crisp, high resolution games with high frames per second. Our games are filmed by some dude out of Columbus with an Iphone 5 zoomed way out.

2. On the air talent not having a 17n clue about our team, and whatever is said game 1 of the season is exactly what they mention over and over and over again for our entire season. They never get beyond the cliche talking points on our players, coaches, fans, etc. Its like the 5 tool player bullcrap every single game, every snap.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Just think, we'll probably see the next Manning QB come to DWS in the near future to start against our Dogs! Should be a real spectacle.
Yeah, but it is Cooper's son right? Other than having the best coaching since peewee, doesn't mean he isn't good for 5 int against the cowbell noise.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Or buy a simple antenna, I've got one mounted on a chain link fence pole maybe 10' in the air and get all of those channels along with about 12 others no problem in poor old Starkville, all for free no less.
That's great for 3 games a weekend.

And only 4% of the US gets TV that way...

There are more BET+ members than that...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The Texas vs A&M in 2024 will be the highest TV rated game in 2024. It will be built up like the Super Bowl.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Also, outside looking in, the SEC is currently in a smaller footprint, but within that footprint, you have some really solid recruiting states. One thing I think that will be an issue for the two 'Big' nationwide conferences is going to be recruiting. You're already seeing a lot of the existing Pac student-athletes voicing their opinions about not getting to play in front of their families.

For example, let's say Florida State and Miami were to join the Big Ten. As a recruit in Georgia with offers from UF, FSU, and Miami, would you go to Florida State/Miami knowing there's a chance that by the time you're actually playing, their conference away schedule could include Washington, California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Michigan or would you choose Florida where your conference away schedule could include Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. I get there are players that want to distance themselves from their homes, but I think there are a lot of players that want their families to be able to see them play.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Also, outside looking in, the SEC is currently in a smaller footprint, but within that footprint, you have some really solid recruiting states. One thing I think that will be an issue for the two 'Big' nationwide conferences is going to be recruiting. You're already seeing a lot of the existing Pac student-athletes voicing their opinions about not getting to play in front of their families.

For example, let's say Florida State and Miami were to join the Big Ten. As a recruit in Georgia with offers from UF, FSU, and Miami, would you go to Florida State/Miami knowing there's a chance that by the time you're actually playing, their conference away schedule could include Washington, California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Michigan or would you choose Florida where your conference away schedule could include Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. I get there are players that want to distance themselves from their homes, but I think there are a lot of players that want their families to be able to see them play.
I think the smaller footprint is ultimately going to be a big advantage for the SEC in a lot of ways.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login