Has the B1G outplayed the SEC?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Also, outside looking in, the SEC is currently in a smaller footprint, but within that footprint, you have some really solid recruiting states. One thing I think that will be an issue for the two 'Big' nationwide conferences is going to be recruiting. You're already seeing a lot of the existing Pac student-athletes voicing their opinions about not getting to play in front of their families.

For example, let's say Florida State and Miami were to join the Big Ten. As a recruit in Georgia with offers from UF, FSU, and Miami, would you go to Florida State/Miami knowing there's a chance that by the time you're actually playing, their conference away schedule could include Washington, California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Michigan or would you choose Florida where your conference away schedule could include Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. I get there are players that want to distance themselves from their homes, but I think there are a lot of players that want their families to be able to see them play.
This is single biggest reason that the SEC is so good. It covers the areas where the most players are. It's also why the B1G has to innovate so much to overcome that.

It also makes Clemson and Florida State much more important. It's real simple to me. Get those two and 2 of UNC/NC State/Virginia/Va Tech. Then you are set as a conference.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
This is single biggest reason that the SEC is so good. It covers the areas where the most players are. It's also why the B1G has to innovate so much to overcome that.

It also makes Clemson and Florida State much more important. It's real simple to me. Get those two and 2 of UNC/NC State/Virginia/Va Tech. Then you are set as a conference.
yes get fsu clem unc and uva then we have played our cards correctly. anything else is a failure

Reactions: ChE1997

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
yes get fsu clem unc and uva then we have played our cards correctly. anything else is a failure
i’ll add - if we could drop mizz and pic up another that would be a win win

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
How is having to deal with 3 partners a good thing?

If you are a Big 10 fan, you will soon have to pay for Fox sports, CBS, and NBC... If you say "Broadcast TV"!! you are too old for this discussion. Less than 16% of the country watches over the air tv...

ESPN is not going anywhere, and the for sure are not pissing off the only way to sell good ads.

SEC Network is a national broadcast as well.

This is not 1995....
The argument isn't that people use antennas. The argument is just as many (and on most weekends more) people watch CBS/Fox/ABC/NBC regardless if it is by satellite or subscription tv.

Follow the link ...
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
The argument isn't that people use antennas. The argument is just as many (and on most weekends more) people watch CBS/Fox/ABC/NBC regardless if it is by satellite or subscription tv.

Follow the link ...
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/
No. People watch good games, as defined by 2 team that are good.

And if they have Cable, Sat, or streaming services that support local TV, they also have ESPN.

So access to the channels is the same for EVERYONE but those 5-6 million households that ONLY have OTA TV.

From your link, the most watched games last year were on ESPN and NOT CBS/Fox/NBC.

If it's a good game, people find it and watch it. (i.e., Tenn vs USC) last year.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I don't think so, yet.

The logical and best expansion of the SEC is to remake the 1921-1932 Southern Conference. Those schools are trapped in the ACC (UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, NCST, Va Tech).
Unless the SEC wanted to have a separate conference on the west coast we are affiliated with, expansion to west adds little value.

Utah, Colorado, OKSt, and Kansas are the only ones worth adding that are not in the Pacific time zone. CU and Utah are far outside the footprint.

For Media deals, ESPN is owned by the largest Media company. If the cut the cord movement continues, the ESPN app is where you'll find all the SEC games. Meanwhile, the Big10 fan has to subscribe to 3 and find that game.

Also, since ESPN has broadcast rights to other sports (NFL) and the Super Bowl. While an SEC fan may not care about a Big 10 network, or CBS sports subscription.
A Big10 fan that wants to watch the those other games will have to buy ESPN streaming.
16 is the perfect numer if we're going to expand. Add Clemson and FSU and have 4, 4 team pods.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
From your link, the most watched games last year were on ESPN and NOT CBS/Fox/NBC.

If it's a good game, people find it and watch it. (i.e., Tenn vs USC) last year.
you didn't scroll down to the regular season ratings.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Up until recently, I guess I was holding on to a last shred of hope that college football would still be college football for the foreseeable future. However, the last couple weeks have pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for me.

Conferences are going to keep realigning until we’ve only got two super powers, and then we’ll see some sort of merger similar to the old NBA/ABA, at which point the upper crust will realize that they really don’t need 100 different schools sucking money from the pot. Whether they decide to keep 30, 50, or 70… who knows, but the one thing I know is that it won’t look like the college football that we have today. There’s just too much money out there for the powers that be to accept today’s status quo

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon13

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
We're at 16 now. Those two make 18.

And the pod idea is extinct. It's not happening. I wish that word would fade away. 'Permanent opponents' is about the best you pod-lovers are going to get.
****, forgot about UT and Oklahoma. The whole damn thing is just a mess. I mean, the big 10 having West Coast schools and West Virginia in the Big 12 is just crazy. Where does all this eventually end?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What matters is how many customers pay monthly vs how many actually watch. Ratings are for advertisers which is less revenue than subscribers.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We need to bust up the ACC and get about 4 of those schools. Can't have the big 10 out maneuvering us. But another point of view might be are they spread too thin ? Quite a spread from PSU to USC. Gonna be making a big carbon footprint. But I guess it is fine for colleges and politicians. My hotrod tho is another story
Just need 2. Either North Carolina school and either Virginia school

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think you guys are talking about two different things. No single game was watched more than the three most watched games on ESPN (CFP Semifinals and CFP National Championship). However, week to week, you are correct that ESPN almost never has the most watched game of the week and a CBS/Fox/ABC game is usually ahead of it. Now. that being said, the most watched ESPN game is usually in the 2-5 spot on a weekly basis, so it's not like it's a runaway difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChE1997

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We're at 16 now. Those two make 18.

And the pod idea is extinct. It's not happening. I wish that word would fade away. 'Permanent opponents' is about the best you pod-lovers are going to get.
C'mon man. "pod people" was right there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you guys are talking about two different things. No single game was watched more than the three most watched games on ESPN (CFP Semifinals and CFP National Championship). However, week to week, you are correct that ESPN is almost never has the most watched game of the week and a CBS/Fox/ABC game is usually ahead of it. Now. that being said, the most watched ESPN game is usually in the 2-5 spot on a weekly basis, so it's not like it's a runaway difference.
Also, let's note that the CBS 2:30 game will be an ABC/ESPN game going forward, and the SEC will be on ABC more than ever in both afternoon and prime time going forward. Ratings for SEC football games won't be a problem.

Reactions: ChE1997 and Dawgg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yes. I saw that.

And all of those are smaller viewership than the ESPN games in the first chart.

Somehow, more people watched the ESPN playoff games than that one on fox.

So, like i said, it doesn't matter who shows the best game, people will watch it.

And having to deal with one entity for scheduling is much better than having to deal with 3 competing entities...

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login