Help me understand the NIL threat.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's the combination of NIL and transfer rules that will ruin NCAAF.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Bama has been paying players for years--now it is legal--so what. The transfer deal can swing both ways. Hell, we can now get pissed off players from Bama-LSu and others. so instead of crying and bitching lets poach for the players we need. thank goodness we have ML and not some cookie cutter coach . ML has won with lesser players for years.

Over the last decade, which players did Bama poach from other rosters and got them to play immediately the next season?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t know why it’s so hard to understand that if the Georgia tech alumni and Texas tech alumni haven’t really cared that much in the past why they will all of a sudden care more.

Again, I’m not a fan of NIL. It’s gonna hurt and help.

But it may move us to the bottom tier of college football. If so, I was wrong but I don’t think it’s going to affect MSU that much in the grand scheme of where we always have been.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Texas Tech is paying every scholarship football player + 15 walkons $25,000 per year starting next month. I think it's safe to say they've started caring.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t know why it’s so hard to understand that if the Georgia tech alumni and Texas tech alumni haven’t really cared that much in the past why they will all of a sudden care more.

Again, I’m not a fan of NIL. It’s gonna hurt and help.

But it may move us to the bottom tier of college football. If so, I was wrong but I don’t think it’s going to affect MSU that much in the grand scheme of where we always have been.

Texas Tech alumni do and have cared. Their problem has been that while Lubbock has a decent population, they are in the middle of BFE and they have been a clear #3 in the state behind UT and A&M, and hell, even TCU often. And now their football players will be starting off with a $25k guarantee of NIL money.

On our current roster, we have Jalen Green, Marcus Banks, Sawyer Robertson, Hunter Washington, Canon Boone, Jakson LaHue. OUtside of Sawyer Robertson (which I think QB will be a special circumstance with Leach here), how many of those would have chosen us if Tech was offering $25k more out of the gate?

Georgia Tech alumni don't generally care, but it only takes a few with big money to make a difference. We have 9 players on our roster from Florida. 7 from Alabama and 6 from Georgia. What does it do to us if we lose a couple a year to Ga Tech that we otherwise would have gotten? We've had a lot of key players from those states in the past that were passed over by their local blue bloods and we were the next best option. If it's between us and making a little more money at a school that maybe is a little further away than they want or that is in the ACC instead of the ACC, that's going to hurt us over time. The people we can poach players from financially really aren't the type of players we need to poach financially, because we'd be pulling them largely from G5 schools anyway.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
The idea of Kentucky becoming a football powerhouse is dreadful to me.

I will say that while we will get poached a lot, we could also poach a lot of star players from other conferences and mid-majors. I could see this really helping us in basketball.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
The NIL entitlement era will mostly harm MSU's football efforts. We already have one of the weaker brands within our tier and this situation just makes things worse. Baseball is not safe either. We've already been better dealed there.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So?
We can absolutely afford to pay 85 players $15,000 each if we all contribute. But we won’t.

We’ll just ***** about how we are doomed.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Over the last decade, which players did Bama poach from other rosters and got them to play immediately the next season?

‘why does Bama need to poach? They have 4 stars backing up 5 stars. Now we can poach those backups. Advantage Us

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I don’t think it’ll bring parity but it may bring year-by-year chaos. Like if Phil Knight or Tim Cook decided to flood money into a program for 5 years to win quick. I also think it’ll erode school spirit and loyalty which may drop value in time

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
No one thought we had a chance before Jackie did it.

And nothing has changed since Mullen got here or left.

Alabama is still dominant. Other than Georgia becoming close enough.

NIL didn’t change any of that. Yet anyways.

I don’t like NIL but I don’t see it changing much for msu. We are still gonna be competing behind the haves in college football. Same yesterday. Same tomorrow.

I think you are making the point without meaning to. Instead of there being any hope of parity in college football, the NIL all but ensures that the rich haves will remain the haves, and the ones willing and able to spend the money have a slight chance to become a have for a bit. So you are correct when you say that it wont change anything for MSU, and that is not a good thing.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You may have missed the back story on the Pitt WR. The OC left. The HC and the old OC got into it all year so badly the place was toxic over the OC passing too much. It was the best season in decades for Pitt. The HC has pledged to run it now and his QB left. There was a lot more that went into him leaving than just NIL, that was just the narrative.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login