Here's a look at Real Life Scholarship/Grant Packages

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Absolutely wrong, Goat.

OOS is absolutely waived for students of alums as long as they maintain a minimum GPA at State.
No sir. Children of alumni can receive up to $4000 per year towards OOS. That's it for being child of an alumnus.

You can stack it with other scholarships. But if all you have is the fact your parent is an alumnus, it's $22,500 a year for tuition alone at State for out of staters. More than double what it is for in state.

This is not FMA, but directly from the Mississippi State website. If there's another double top secret OOS alumni waiver, please share.

Alumni OOS Scholarship link click here

1000012306.png

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One piece of caution on that…

A lot of ACT based scholarships are for incoming freshmen only and don’t apply to transfer students, at least that was my experience.
My two will probably not get any scholarship money.

Reactions: Dawgg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
My son was #3 in class, 33 ACT... we still have to pay about $8-9000 per year after scholarship. Freshmen required to live in dorm, so most of that is room/board.
Has State's dorm costs gone as insane as UPig's? One of mine stayed in a dorm for 1 year. Costs $7k just dorm cost for a tiny crap hole room with desks under raised beds and a community bathroom down the hall. The university has to be making a killing off of those rooms. 2 kids => $14k for ~ 350 sq ft.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Get ready to be shocked at how your kids are going to be treated by dear ol' State.

4.0 GPA, 29 ACT, Top 10% of Class

Mississippi State
$5,000 annual
$500 MTAG (increases to $1000 in Year 3 and 4)
$2500 MESG
$8000/year total ($8500 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,220

Ole Miss

$7500 annual
$2500 MESG
$10,500/year total ($11,000 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,044

Southern Miss

$7000 annual
$2500 MESG
$10,000/year total ($10,500 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,204

Guess where mine is now all of a sudden interested in attending?
That’s correct msu gives the least , mine have just graduated. There’s lots of room for improvement there, especially compared to the MC experience one of my kids had. And wait until you get a load of the graduate counselors
that “ help “ with schedules and job placement. One of mine was told to search google for an engineering job.
very sad.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
That’s correct msu gives the least , mine have just graduated. There’s lots of room for improvement there, especially compared to the MC experience one of my kids had. And wait until you get a load of the graduate counselors
that “ help “ with schedules and job placement. One of mine was told to search google for an engineering job.
very sad.
Yeah State isn't the best about helping find jobs and the like despite boasting about very high placement percentages. I graduated with an accounting degree in May and they required us to fill out a survey in our capstone class about what our after graduation plans were (masters degree, workforce, etc.) and they count anyone that had a job lined up as part of the placement percentage despite not putting forth much effort in helping find those jobs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is not FMA, but directly from the Mississippi State website. If there's another double top secret OOS alumni waiver, please share.
It is widely whispered, that if you beg long enough, you can get it down. But I don't know that I believe that. That's typical MSU or MS stuff there though, have 'hidden' benefits rather than clearly laying out the facts.

I didn't know about the $4,000/year. A few years ago I think they waived half of it, so it appears they are getting tighter with it. I thought the whole program had expired, well, except for the 'hidden' cool alumni club stuff.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Has State's dorm costs gone as insane as UPig's? One of mine stayed in a dorm for 1 year. Costs $7k just dorm cost for a tiny crap hole room with desks under raised beds and a community bathroom down the hall. The university has to be making a killing off of those rooms. 2 kids => $14k for ~ 350 sq ft.
My oldest kid went to Arkansas for 1 semester- Fall '22 and lived in Hotz. It was(at the time) the largest incoming class ever, the school didnt have room for everyone, yada yada. Some kids were put up in hotels for the first week + while the housing situation sorted itself out and rooms/beds became available.
It was comical chaos to watch from afar.

As for dorm costs, MSU isnt exactly great compared to Arkansas.
Hotz @ Arkansas- $7400 per student for a double room thats 165sq ft with bathroom down the hall.
Cresswell @ msu- $6600 per student for a double room thats 169sq ft with bathroom down the hall. You get a sink though!

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
My oldest kid went to Arkansas for 1 semester- Fall '22 and lived in Hotz. It was(at the time) the largest incoming class ever, the school didnt have room for everyone, yada yada. Some kids were put up in hotels for the first week + while the housing situation sorted itself out and rooms/beds became available.

Hotz @ Arkansas- $7400 per student for a double room thats 165sq ft with bathroom down the hall.
Cresswell @ msu- $6600 per student for a double room thats 169sq ft with bathroom down the hall. You get a sink though!
My daughter is 1.5 years away from college, and the costs are scaring the 17 out of me....She is interested in Arkansas.....they do a cool thing there for OOS tuition....graduate with a 3.9 or higher, they waive 90% of OOS tuition....and goes down like 3.8/ 80% and so forth....

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
We certainly will cover the difference, but I thought it was interesting that Ole Miss essentially is offering $10k more for the same, in-state student.

we are waiting to hear back from a couple of out of state schools. Speaking of which, South Alabama is blanketing Rankin County with billboards announcing no out of state tuition.

But we have gone from not considering Ole Miss to applying and getting $10k more in scholarships in a 6 week period. They are full on blitzing the transfer portal and high achieving in state students.
They need them to counter the kids of all the doctors and lawyers that stay drunk and stoned because they're going to get big jobs because of who their diddy is so they don't have to worry about grades. Just graduating.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My kids aren't at State in large part because they got more money elsewhere. Better to save money for med school. Guess where that one is.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just a quick question - I'm seeing a lot of people here talk about State, Ole Miss, Arkansas. Seen many in the past talk about Auburn, whatever. A few have said MC, considering scholarship money and what not. And a few have mentioned junior colleges, and @Dawgg even mentioned about scholly money as a transfer, which is good info I didn't know.

But the question is, is there any evidence to support the idea that you should NOT use some of the state schools like Southern Miss, Troy, La-Monroe, Arkansas State, Kennesaw State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, MTSU, Memphis, UT-Martin/Chatt/etc., etc.? These schools are cheaper for in-state, and I'm assuming you get better scholarship money for less there too. I get it, you get what you pay for, but education seems so over-exaggerated to me. I say, get your degree and move on, outside of a select few undergraduate fields, like say engineering and what not. But even with that, if you have a solid plan going in, any reason NOT to go this route?

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

Yep. My son was in Hotz. (fall '20/spring/'21) I think its 165 sq ft/person. Ridiculously small and overpriced but seems to be cost of dorms these days.

For reference, I paid ~$500/semester to live in Evans Hall back in the day - suites w/4 rooms per bathroom.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Demographics aren't favorable for university enrollments in the near future. Gonna need a lot of international students to enroll or face some decline.

Attachments

• GB1O7JAXoAAr5OW.jpeg
    GB1O7JAXoAAr5OW.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 11

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Just a quick question - I'm seeing a lot of people here talk about State, Ole Miss, Arkansas. Seen many in the past talk about Auburn, whatever. A few have said MC, considering scholarship money and what not. And a few have mentioned junior colleges, and @Dawgg even mentioned about scholly money as a transfer, which is good info I didn't know.

But the question is, is there any evidence to support the idea that you should NOT use some of the state schools like Southern Miss, Troy, La-Monroe, Arkansas State, Kennesaw State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, MTSU, Memphis, UT-Martin/Chatt/etc., etc.? These schools are cheaper for in-state, and I'm assuming you get better scholarship money for less there too. I get it, you get what you pay for, but education seems so over-exaggerated to me. I say, get your degree and move on, outside of a select few undergraduate fields, like say engineering and what not. But even with that, if you have a solid plan going in, any reason NOT to go this route?
So as a GA resident, I'll chime in on this one. I have one who went to MSU (OOS Tuition was waived via Academic Common Market - check that one out OOS folks, it can be big). She graduated in '21 and is about to finish grad school in the spring. MSU had the major she wanted (meteorology) and the money made sense with the Common Market and some scholly money early on. But, I am still paying a $#!+ ton on living expenses. There is no way around those costs. She lived on campus 3 years and has been in an apartment since and being 10 hours away you can't just come home and mooch every once in a while.

The 2nd & 3rd tier schools are great if you are majoring in something that is of need everywhere or the name on the diploma gives you no advantages. That didn't work for kid #1. Kid #2 went to Valdosta State and majored in Music Education and graduated this past May. The HOPE program took care of most of the tuition ($2,500 semester), he had a Music Scholly that covered the rest of tuition ($500 a semester), and got the 2nd best scholarship offered to VSU student ($3,500). Pell Grants covered the rest ($2,500). All that added up to cover all his costs and give about $1000 back to him a semester, and he worked construction in the summer and high school band camps to give him spending $. All told, I think I kicked in about $500 a year for him when he ran out of spending money. One of the big things with some of the other schools is they are innovative about their programs. VSU's Music Ed offers a 5 year BA/MA joint program. So, for an extra 12 months he will have his Music degree, an MA in Music Ed, and his Ed Certs, and the program has a 100% placement record over the past 5 years.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
If they do go the JUCO Route, you might want to point them in the direction of Phi Theta Kappa and offer to cover their membership fees.

Membership and involvement in it will help them - and you - when it comes to paying for the last two years.

Others here can also give advice.
This is exactly what I did. I had a 27 on my ACT which got my tuition paid for at NEMCC and, as much as it pains me to say, I went to OM after NEMCC because I could do my accounting undergrad almost entirely online while keeping my job, all while going to the Tupelo campus for physical in-person classes. I never had to touch the campus in Oxford. Anyway, if it weren't for getting PTK at Northeast, I would have been up Schitt's Creek without a paddle.

Keeping your PTK membership is ridiculously easy too, all I had to do is 2 activities in the semester that my membership ran through, like a blood drive, Christmas shoe box, cheese sale, etc., and keep around a 3.25 GPA (I think, I can't remember the exact GPA) and you're good. I got the PTK2 scholarship with OM for having over a 3.5 and being in PTK which paid for all of my tuition. I want to say if you have a 3.5+ GPA with PTK and enroll at State, it's $2,000 per semester.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My son was #3 in class, 33 ACT... we still have to pay about $8-9000 per year after scholarship. Freshmen required to live in dorm, so most of that is room/board.
Things have certainly changed over the years. In 1995, my son had >4.0 in high school (don't know class rank, but it was a private college prep school so lots of good students), 1520 SAT/35 ACT (only took each test once), got a full ride out of state. We had to pay for an off campus apartment after the first year. He had a double major and got two BS degrees. His high school buddy did even better - National Merit Scholar got a full ride, plus 4 years room paid living in the dorm.

For upcoming students - the PSA is VERY important for scholarships. Not sure what they would get in today's MSU world.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Yep. My son was in Hotz. (fall '20/spring/'21) I think its 165 sq ft/person. Ridiculously small and overpriced but seems to be cost of dorms these days.

For reference, I paid ~$500/semester to live in Evans Hall back in the day - suites w/4 rooms per bathroom.

When I was at State, Evans was a total dump and was the athletic dorm. Never understood why they tore Suttle and Hamlin down, but kept some of the much older ones that were in poor condition.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Yeah State isn't the best about helping find jobs and the like despite boasting about very high placement percentages. I graduated with an accounting degree in May and they required us to fill out a survey in our capstone class about what our after graduation plans were (masters degree, workforce, etc.) and they count anyone that had a job lined up as part of the placement percentage despite not putting forth much effort in helping find those jobs

When I was there, the Placement Office had numerous reps from companies come in to interview students. The graduating student went to the Union, signed up for the interviews of interest, had the interview, and may or may not have gotten an offer. Just about every discipline was represented and things went smoothly.

Do they not do this process any longer?

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Things have certainly changed over the years. In 1995, my son had >4.0 in high school (don't know class rank, but it was a private college prep school so lots of good students), 1520 SAT/35 ACT (only took each test once), got a full ride out of state. We had to pay for an off campus apartment after the first year. He had a double major and got two BS degrees. His high school buddy did even better - National Merit Scholar got a full ride, plus 4 years room paid living in the dorm.

For upcoming students - the PSA is VERY important for scholarships. Not sure what they would get in today's MSU world.
State gives a full ride plus room and board (I think) for National Merit Finalist and a full ride w/o room and board for National Merit Semifinalist.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
When I was there, the Placement Office had numerous reps from companies come in to interview students. The graduating student went to the Union, signed up for the interviews of interest, had the interview, and may or may not have gotten an offer. Just about every discipline was represented and things went smoothly.

Do they not do this process any longer?
They host a career/job fair specifically tailored to Accounting students, and it's not hard to secure an interview at one of these job fairs, but I don't remember them doing anything what you mentioned. We had lots of big 4 reps come in and talk to our classes and meet students, but you had to submit an application and give your resume to get an interview and those weren't on campus.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

"PSA?" What's that?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
They host a career/job fair specifically tailored to Accounting students, and it's not hard to secure an interview at one of these job fairs, but I don't remember them doing anything what you mentioned. We had lots of big 4 reps come in and talk to our classes and meet students, but you had to submit an application and give your resume to get an interview and those weren't on campus.

It was a really good program that was very successful. Even the military services came in to interview (but it was during Viet Nam so they were recruiting heavily for officers). But the University was less than half the size it is now, so maybe that's a factor. Had about 11,000 when I was there, mostly males.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Get ready to be shocked at how your kids are going to be treated by dear ol' State.

4.0 GPA, 29 ACT, Top 10% of Class

Mississippi State
$5,000 annual
$2500 MESG
$8000/year total ($8500 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,220

Ole Miss

$7500 annual
$2500 MESG
$10,500/year total ($11,000 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,044

Southern Miss

$7000 annual
$2500 MESG
$10,000/year total ($10,500 in Year 3 and 4)
Tuition: $9,204

Guess where mine is now all of a sudden interested in attending?
Yeah, the point of my post was to just educate. A lot of this board have kids that are going to be attending college in the next few years - Ole Miss is actively throwing money at students in Mississippi. While my family is able to come up with the difference if we decide to go to State, there are many others that are going to have a hard time turning down $10k more at Ole Miss.

We are going to try to get one more point on the ACT. As someone pointed out, a 30 is with $3000 additional a year. But its worth $1000 more at Ole Miss, so Ole Miss is still beating State.

Arkansas waives 90% of out of state tuition for 3.8+ GPA students from Mississippi. Louisiana Tech waives OOS for a 24+ ACT. Mississippi College is giving 100% tuition scholarships to Mississippi residents. The competition in our part of the country is getting intense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When I was at State, Evans was a total dump and was the athletic dorm. Never understood why they tore Suttle and Hamlin down, but kept some of the much older ones that were in poor condition.
They were falling apart, and they needed to go to make way for the new dorms.

How do I know? Same reason I know about the Trash Pandas development.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005
This topic hits home for me and is a sore subject. When I was in high school, NO ONE recruited me as hard for college as MSU. Roadrunners wrote handwritten letters practically every week. I really felt a strong pull to MSU, like no other school. I expected the same for my kids, but it seems times have changed in that regard.

My oldest son had a 4.0+ GPA, Eagle Scout, 34 ACT. State offered him some money but nowhere near a full ride. We went up to MSU for Scholar's Day and honestly I was underwhelmed. I would have thought that this was the group that they'd pull out all the stops for, but the whole event seemed a little unorganized and last-minute to me. Keenum made a few remarks, but we didn't ever really feel "recruited" like I'd expect MSU to do for top-performing students. Mississippi College, meanwhile, offered him a full ride and that's where he's now going with eventual plans to go to law school.

Younger son has a 4.0+ GPA, Eagle Scout, 35 ACT, and I expect he'll be National Merit Finalist. I've been begging State to roll out the red carpet so at least one of my progeny will follow in my footsteps, but chances are that he'll get much better full-ride offers from MC, Alabama, LSU, USM, etc. We're not going to look at Ole Miss but damn it, MSU.

I also noticed that the Eagle Scout award at MSU has dropped from $6,000 total award across 4 years, to $2,000 total award (freshman year only). Extremely disappointed in that too, as another person has mentioned. Ole Miss and USM reward the Eagle Scout achievement much better than MSU does.

Reactions: Double Dawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This topic hits home for me and is a sore subject. When I was in high school, NO ONE recruited me as hard for college as MSU. Roadrunners wrote handwritten letters practically every week. I really felt a strong pull to MSU, like no other school. I expected the same for my kids, but it seems times have changed in that regard.

My oldest son had a 4.0+ GPA, Eagle Scout, 34 ACT. State offered him some money but nowhere near a full ride. We went up to MSU for Scholar's Day and honestly I was underwhelmed. I would have thought that this was the group that they'd pull out all the stops for, but the whole event seemed a little unorganized and last-minute to me. Keenum made a few remarks, but we didn't ever really feel "recruited" like I'd expect MSU to do for top-performing students. Mississippi College, meanwhile, offered him a full ride and that's where he's now going with eventual plans to go to law school.

Younger son has a 4.0+ GPA, Eagle Scout, 35 ACT, and I expect he'll be National Merit Finalist. I've been begging State to roll out the red carpet so at least one of my progeny will follow in my footsteps, but chances are that he'll get much better full-ride offers from MC, Alabama, LSU, USM, etc. We're not going to look at Ole Miss but damn it, MSU.

I also noticed that the Eagle Scout award at MSU has dropped from $6,000 total award across 4 years, to $2,000 total award (freshman year only). Extremely disappointed in that too, as another person has mentioned. Ole Miss and USM reward the Eagle Scout achievement much better than MSU does.
34 and 35 on ACT should be a full ride anywhere, right? Am I wrong? My kids aren't quite old enough, and it's been a minute since I researched it, and I realize they are teaching you how to take tests these days, but 36 is perfect, right?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013

Something is off here. You need to reach out to John Dickerson at MSU. As nice of a person there is and he will look into this for you.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
34 and 35 on ACT should be a full ride anywhere, right? Am I wrong? My kids aren't quite old enough, and it's been a minute since I researched it, and I realize they are teaching you how to take tests these days, but 36 is perfect, right?
36 is perfect, yes. 34 or 35 isnt a full ride anywhere, no.
School by school, state by state, its totally different.
School demand/prestige seems to play a big part in how much one is covered by the school's direct offer. University of Chicago doesnt give a 17 that Sally scored a 34. 10,000 other applicants also scored a 34 or higher, and they are only going to accept 2300 of the 46,000 applicants. Of the 5% that are accepted, 80+% will commit, which is crazy high. They have 0 reason to offer a full ride. Instead, they are doing what many other elites are doing and offering free tuition and/or free full experience if the student comes from a family with less than $X in household income.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yeah, the point of my post was to just educate. A lot of this board have kids that are going to be attending college in the next few years - Ole Miss is actively throwing money at students in Mississippi. While my family is able to come up with the difference if we decide to go to State, there are many others that are going to have a hard time turning down $10k more at Ole Miss.

We are going to try to get one more point on the ACT. As someone pointed out, a 30 is with $3000 additional a year. But its worth $1000 more at Ole Miss, so Ole Miss is still beating State.

Arkansas waives 90% of out of state tuition for 3.8+ GPA students from Mississippi. Louisiana Tech waives OOS for a 24+ ACT. Mississippi College is giving 100% tuition scholarships to Mississippi residents. The competition in our part of the country is getting intense.
My oldest is 10, so I have not even started to look at any of this, and it will probably change before she’s college aged anyway. But what is state doing? Are we just not offering less scholarship money than competing schools overall? Or are we giving more money to students with lower scores? I’m talking from an overall perspective. Do we give the same dollar amount of annual scholarships as ole miss? I’m just hoping we have some sort of strategy and not being stingy with scholarships.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Ok, so I have a 15 and 12 year old. Both girls are homeschooled and I’m guessing when they take the ACT they will score between 25-34. Both are really smart, but my youngest one is a great test taker and is very studious. We live in North Mississippi. What advice would you give for kids these days? I have a microbiology degree and an MBA. I think college these days is a poor use of time and money unless you plan on being the medical field or something akin to that. What does the pack say?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
36 is perfect, yes. 34 or 35 isnt a full ride anywhere, no.
School by school, state by state, its totally different.
School demand/prestige seems to play a big part in how much one is covered by the school's direct offer. University of Chicago doesnt give a 17 that Sally scored a 34. 10,000 other applicants also scored a 34 or higher, and they are only going to accept 2300 of the 46,000 applicants. Of the 5% that are accepted, 80+% will commit, which is crazy high. They have 0 reason to offer a full ride. Instead, they are doing what many other elites are doing and offering free tuition and/or free full experience if the student comes from a family with less than $X in household income.
Heck, 36 isn’t full ride everywhere. Family friend’s kid made one and has been really frustrated with the college scholarship process.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My oldest is 10, so I have not even started to look at any of this, and it will probably change before she’s college aged anyway. But what is state doing? Are we just not offering less scholarship money than competing schools overall? Or are we giving more money to students with lower scores? I’m talking from an overall perspective. Do we give the same dollar amount of annual scholarships as ole miss? I’m just hoping we have some sort of strategy and not being stingy with scholarships.
Same, there's got to me more to this. Seems to me, there are a ton of parents of high-achieving kids on this board, or at least ones who like to tell about it. They seemingly don't get schollies at MSU, but then the same folks complain about the academic reputation of MSU. Sort of a cart and horse situation in my mind. If high-achieving kids aren't being rewarded by MSU schollies, to me that says that we either have a lot of high-achievers or we don't care about high-achievers. Could be that MSU is simply embracing what they've been made to become, due to admission standards, and the likelihood that the high-achievers (at least grade wise) are going to head out of state anyway to chase that 'elite-university' carrot.

And another question in my mind is, are ACT/SAT scores simply up across the board? Many many curriculums seem to train toward taking those tests. And people have said for years that we are lowering test scores. And before anyone gets pissed at me, I have no idea, I'm simply asking questions.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, so I have a 15 and 12 year old. Both girls are homeschooled and I’m guessing when they take the ACT they will score between 25-34. Both are really smart, but my youngest one is a great test taker and is very studious. We live in North Mississippi. What advice would you give for kids these days? I have a microbiology degree and an MBA. I think college these days is a poor use of time and money unless you plan on being the medical field or something akin to that. What does the pack say?
I tell my 11yo son trade school is not a bad option. A college degree opens a lot of doors due to that requirement on a lot of HR forms at some companies, but two of the highest earning people I know my age are plumbers and hvac technicians. I’ve told my son if he can do that plus electrical, the sky is the limit for earning potential. Of course if you can do that and have an engineering degree, you can earn even more.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I tell my 11yo son trade school is not a bad option. A college degree opens a lot of doors due to that requirement on a lot of HR forms at some companies, but two of the highest earning people I know my age are plumbers and hvac technicians. I’ve told my son if he can do that plus electrical, the sky is the limit for earning potential. Of course if you can do that and have an engineering degree, you can earn even more.
Agree, or even a business degree. That's what I have my eye on. Learn the trade, and learn how to make money with it.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
State groups 35 and 36 and pays the same amount for both, which is not a full ride. However, there are lots of other scholarships that are offered that most people that achieve a perfect score would qualify for. Chances are good if you have a 36, you'll have a similarly high SAT score and be a National Merit Semifinalist, valedictorian/salutatorian, etc.. These kinds of things will add up and should be more than enough to cover tuition and possibly room/board.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Obviously there's a wide range of thoughts on this, but I'd argue college is even more necessary than ever: who knows what jobs will be important in 10-20 years, with the rise of AI and other automation? Knowing how to reason, think, and learn is very likely to become even more in demand.

Trade schools absolutely serve a vital need; however (just like 4 year colleges) people should go into it with their eyes open. The trades can be physically demanding, and a person isn't a bullet-proof 18 year old forever. Also, those highest salaries are usually for folks owning their own small business, which requires a completely different set of skills, not to mention risk levels.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Same, there's got to me more to this. Seems to me, there are a ton of parents of high-achieving kids on this board, or at least ones who like to tell about it. They seemingly don't get schollies at MSU, but then the same folks complain about the academic reputation of MSU. Sort of a cart and horse situation in my mind. If high-achieving kids aren't being rewarded by MSU schollies, to me that says that we either have a lot of high-achievers or we don't care about high-achievers. Could be that MSU is simply embracing what they've been made to become, due to admission standards, and the likelihood that the high-achievers (at least grade wise) are going to head out of state anyway to chase that 'elite-university' carrot.

And another question in my mind is, are ACT/SAT scores simply up across the board? Many many curriculums seem to train toward taking those tests. And people have said for years that we are lowering test scores. And before anyone gets pissed at me, I have no idea, I'm simply asking questions.
Good point on most of the very high academic achievers likely going out of state anyway…. But state does need to come up with to at least match other in state schools and accommodate the high achieving that do want to come here.

Probably not a terrible strategy to focus on giving some level of scholarship to good to great students. But it can’t be good to leave the high achieving out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login