Here's the level of coaching we're getting

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Leave It Alone Season 4 GIF by Paramount+

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Honest question:
At what point does a horrible scheme and bad coaching make once driven players become apathetic and slow, destroying defensive team morale?

I am looking forward to a Matt Wyatt no bs film study on both.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I could have run for more than 10 yards on that play. #12 saved a touchdown with that arm tackle.

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
You know you have coaches/staffs come in and right aways you know hey we got something. They just have the players motivated, good scheme, making plays, opposing teams have to play well if they are going to beat you, players in great position to make plays, excellent in game adjustments, ect... Just don't feel that way after 4 games with this group.

You know Jackie Sherrill came in, hey we got something right away, Dan Mullen came in, hey we got something right away even though we finished 5-7 but you could see it with our play. Some coaches just have it.. Alabama had a losing record in 2006, Saban came in 2007 hey we got something, they were moving in right direction even though they fished 6-6 that year. You could see it in their play that quick.

Hope Lebby figured it out!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I was wondering when that would show up here.

But.... poor coaching. No doubt. But makes you wonder.... do the players on the field not recognize strong side and weak side and call an audible like a QB. A MLB can make calls too

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009
You know you have coaches/staffs come in and right aways you know hey we got something. They just have the players motivated, good scheme, making plays, opposing teams have to play well if they are going to beat you, players in great position to make plays, excellent in game adjustments, ect... Just don't feel that way after 4 games with this group.

You know Jackie Sherrill came in, hey we got something right away, Dan Mullen came in, hey we got something right away even though we finished 5-7 but you could see it with our play. Some coaches just have it.. Alabama had a losing record in 2006, Saban came in 2007 hey we got something, they were moving in right direction even though they fished 6-6 that year. You could see it in their play that quick.

Hope Lebby figured it out!
100% accurate. I could tell in the first couple drives of the Mullen era that we were in for a good time.

Last edited:

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Do y'all really think our defense was coached to line up like that?

Or, do you think our defensive players are . . . essentially stupid?

I'm going with that second choice.

On that play, several of our defensive players were lined up incorrectly and/or went the wrong way when the ball was snapped.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

On that play, several of our defensive players were lined up incorrectly and/or went the wrong way when the ball was snapped.
I am guessing it was the players not getting lined up. If that was the design then the DC really does need to be fired in the morning.

Oct 20, 2022

That's what your timeouts are for - DC should have seen that immediately.

patdog

May 28, 2007

It all three. No talent. Stupid players. And very bad coaching.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

AtomicDog

Sep 16, 2023

Even if it is the second option, doesn’t that ultimately come back to coaching and preparation?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Does it really matter at this point? This is a similar situation to the OC last year. I’m sure the OC was not telling the receivers to constantly run wrong routes… but 4 games in if our defense is making mistakes like this they are simply not being coached well. The coach can scheme up something awesome, it does not matter if he can’t teach the players the right way to run the scheme.

I know our talent is bad… but it’s not as bad as the performance being displayed. Coaching is the bigger issue.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I was wondering when that would show up here.

But.... poor coaching. No doubt. But makes you wonder.... do the players on the field not recognize strong side and weak side and call an audible like a QB. A MLB can make calls too
Does Blanton look like a player who knows what’s going on and can make adjustments? He looks surprised that he’s getting hit when he’s trying to make a tackle. That dude is out of it.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012

Since that was game 4 and there has not been a single improvement on defense, I think the career Special Teams guy that we hired as a DC could possibly be an issue

Reactions: Yeti

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I doubt this group is any smarter or dumber than any other defense we have had.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

Jameis Winston won a national championship. This is 100% on coaching.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I do not have any answers for our defense. We really need to start all over again. It can't hurt anything, considering where we are right now.

We are starting with a new quarterback on the offensive side of the ball and will have to "dumb it down," so speak, from where we originally started. This may not be bad, considering what has happened this far with the offense. This might be time to try to hit the reset button on offense.

I wish I had an idea of what to do for our defense.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Is it possible that our team is full of 2nd & 3rd stringers (or lower) who never thought they would be starters and were content to ride the bench and enjoy the benefits of NIL and scholarship money. Now they are thrown into the fire and don't know what the 17 to do.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Isn't this try equivalent of pulling both sides of the line opposite each other Kevin Barbary style?