He's got my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not as simple as you make it out to be

Many of your "bunch or Republicans" want to force me to think, act, and believe their way. They want to legislate what I can watch, who I can vote for, what I can read, and what must be taught in the schools my children attend.

This country was founded on freedom of and from religion. Just because your religion tells you what you can or can't do doesn't mean you can force me into those same beliefs.
I'd rather be shamed by a stiff-necked Republican than robbed or cancelled by a crazy Democrat.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
4 of Reeves top 10 came from out of state. 5 of Presleys top 10 came from out of state.

12% of Reeves total donations came from out of state.
27% of Presleys total donations came from out of state

Reeves top donor was Mississippi Strong (part of the Republican Governors Association PAC)

Presleys top donor was the
Democratic Governors Association.

This info came from Mississippi Today.
Wrong...Presley got all his funding from Biden, AOC, and Hamas while Reeves got his from the lord Jesus himself...I know this because I saw it on a commercial while watching the price is right**

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
It's not as simple as you make it out to be

Many of your "bunch of Republicans" want to force me to think, act, and believe their way. They want to legislate what I can watch, who I can vote for, what I can read, and what must be taught in the schools my children attend.

This country was founded on freedom of and from religion. Just because your religion tells you what you can or can't do doesn't mean you can force me into those same beliefs.
What exactly do you want your children taught in school that the Republicans don't want them taught ?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
I pretty much vote straight Republican (state and national level). Nobody is perfect, but I'm going to vote conservative to at least slow the train down when it hits a sea of blue. Come at me bro.

The future is no doubt blue. But when that happens, I'll still be voting for the more conservative blue.

No need to go any deeper than that. Trying to convince people to vote on the issues is simply trying to get them to vote the way you want them to vote. There are dozens of 'issues' and I will not agree with all of them.
Wise man once said "only people who vote republican are either a Moron or a millionaire"

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I never understood people that voted for someone they don’t like just because of party, especially in a southern governor’s race. It’s not like the other candidate is going to be AOC.
Oh that's not exactly true. At one point in time, Cali elected a Republican for Gov. That's no longer the case. Second point is when the national party promotes things I disagree with, I'm not backing them. That signals to the national party that what they are promoting is ok.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You may want to check out Jon Bell Edwards the LA gov'ner. He is not AOC, but more liberal than you expect from a southern governor.
Yep, and it slowly marches you down a path that you may not want to end up at. Then you are wondering, "When did we get here?"

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
You're going to have to provide evidence of what you're being forced to think, act, and believe.
You pull this same schtick all the time and your reading comprehension isn't working this morning. I said they are trying to force me into it but anyway:

Mother's For Liberty trying to ban books they don't agree with and trying to get librarians arrested.

Republicans forcing their abortion beliefs on others by restricting access.

Republicans trying to roll back race, sex, and orientation protections (and don't give me this "and where has this happened" BS)

Etc

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'd rather be shamed by a stiff-necked Republican than robbed or cancelled by a crazy Democrat.
I love identity politics. We might as well just go to the ballot box with red and blue crayons and circle the picture of who we identify with the most.

Just make it easy for folks from MS: this is how they are voting anyhow (well, the posters on this board at least).

IMG_5876.jpeg
Vs

IMG_5878.jpeg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I love identity politics. We might as well just go to the ballot box with red and blue crayons and circle the picture of who we identify with the most.

Just make it easy for folks from MS: this is how they are voting anyhow (well, the posters on this board at least).
I didn't invent the game, but I know how to play it.

And this way, I can't be shamed. Whether I vote for TateR, Trump, or whoever else may be a Republican. You know exactly what I'm going to do, so you don't have to pretend to be disgusted and say, "HoW cAn YoU vOtE fOr ________".

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You pull this same schtick all the time and your reading comprehension isn't working this morning. I said they are trying to force me into it but anyway:

Mother's For Liberty trying to ban books they don't agree with and trying to get librarians arrested.

Republicans trying to roll back race, sex, and orientation protections (and don't give me this "and where has this happened" BS)

Etc
Wow...

So much wrong there.

The GOP isn't telling you any of that. They are not even trying to sell what you are suggesting. No, 5 and 6 year olds are not old enough nor wise enough nor understands what sex or sexual orientation is. Just like it's not the schools job (per you) to teach a religion, it's not the schools job to teach that to any minor. I have not seen one thing that says you as an adult can not pursue your happy place in that respect.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You're going to have to provide evidence of what you're being forced to think, act, and believe.
Oh. I can.

Being undiagnosed on the Spectrum, I got that A LOT when I was a teenager and in my early twenties.

Ignorant Churchgoers love to shove things at People They Don’t Understand as I’ve mentioned many times in the past.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh. I can.

Being undiagnosed on the Spectrum, I got that A LOT when I was a teenager and in my early twenties.

Ignorant Churchgoers love to shove things at People They Don’t Understand as I’ve mentioned many times in the past.
In my experience the ignorant churchgoers don't so much force anything on you, they just exile you from society if you don't participate in their hierarchy.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Etc
You can't just throw out BS and then get your panties in a bunch when you get challenged and can't provide actual evidence of this. Let's address each of your ******** narrative with the truth. Hopefully you learn something from this, but it's not likely.

1. No books have been banned. You can still go out on Amazon, or go to a book store, and acquire any book you want. Local school boards determine curriculum and resources. Here's a good rule of thumb: if, at a press conference, someone is reading from a book in your child's library that is so sexually explicit that the local news cuts away from it, then it doesn't belong in your child's library. Go buy it for your child if you wish, but respect the rights of other parents who don't wish for their child to be exposed to it.

2. I thought you guys like living in a democracy? If you live in a state where abortion is restricted, start a grass roots effort to elect democrats who believe what you believe and get the law changed. That's how it works. And SCOTUS didn't force their abortion beliefs on others. They rightfully made it a state issue because it was unconstitutional for Roe to become law without a say from the American people. You guys like to talk about how popular abortion is, but the reality is there's a reason Roe was never codified - it's because democrats never had the votes to do it. And if you just HAVE to have an abortion - it's legal in many states - go get one. You have that right, but you need to respect the rights of others who don't want that in their state. Elections have consequences.

3. You need to give specific examples of this. This is a free country and everyone has equal rights under the law. You're free to do anything you want in your house hold that is lawful.

There is a common theme in your takes: You claim rights are rolled back, restrictions are put in place, etc., but that's exactly what you are trying to do to people you disagree with. Folks like you need to get this through your uneducated skulls: your rights end where mine start. You have the right to blow whoever or whatever you want in the privacy of your home. You have the right to put on dresses and pretend to be a girl in your own home. You have the right to drive to Illinois and get an abortion if you want. I also have the right to raise my children in a manner that they aren't exposed to that stuff. I also have a right to worship my God and believe what I want to believe. You want me to respect your rights? Respect my rights. When we can get to that point, we can all get above this republican vs democrat BS and start getting to a better place.

Your daddy should have taught you all of this. But since he didn't get the job done, I'm more than happy to step into the breach for the good of mankind.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Oh. I can.

There are lots of ignorant church goers. There's also a bunch of ignorant anti-church goers.

Fortunately you live in a country where you can avoid those people. If those people are elected into leadership positions, you can work to vote them out or move to a place that aligns more with your ideological beliefs.

'Murica

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
View attachment 443054
LOL Some just love it more than others
Waters... “Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere."

Literally her words.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Wow...

So much wrong there.

The GOP isn't telling you any of that. They are not even trying to sell what you are suggesting. No, 5 and 6 year olds are not old enough nor wise enough nor understands what sex or sexual orientation is. Just like it's not the schools job (per you) to teach a religion, it's not the schools job to teach that to any minor. I have not seen one thing that says you as an adult can not pursue your happy place in that respect.
This issue is fun. The last books my 7 year old has checked out have been books about fishing, unicorns, baby otters, and baby sitters club books. Strangely enough, one of the board candidates last year proposed a ban on the seahorse book bc it discusses seahorse reproduction with the male carrying the eggs or whatever atypical process it is that seahorses carry out. Her position was that it was a Trojan horse for the pronoun police liberal agenda. Hilarious.

Anyhow...kids aren't checking out books about chicks with dicks or are interpreting Leviticus. This is a bogey man topic intended to get adults at each other's necks and actually has very little to do with the benefit of the kids. Adults shouldn't get sucked into it. Just be a parent and ask your child what they are reading about.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
What exactly do you want your children taught in school that the Republicans don't want them taught ?
I want them taught how to think for themselves not what to think. I want them taught true history not a white washed version that teaches slaves weren't treated so bad. I want both Evolution and Creationism taught so they decide for themselves. I want them taught a true sex education so they are better prepared to avoid pregnancy...and there's many other things.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have to read a book for work- its called The Advantage and is all about organizational health.
17 that, I graduated and am done reading! <--*** should follow this, but...

I got a subscription to Audible for the book I have to read and just checked- your two are in Audible. I just added both to my list. Seriously, thanks- I figure if this is works, I wont have to search around for new podcasts as often!
Go ahead and pick up The Storyteller, Dave Grohl's biography. It's a great listen as he reads it himself. Matthew McConaughey's Green Lights is good as well. He also reads it. Those will help lift you up from the depressing reality that the other two drive home...

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
As people watch today, if your arguments are so strong, if your arguments are so great and mine are so bad, then just keep quiet. Let me make my awful arguments and then you can just reject them out of hand.
Consider this done. :cool:

I wish more people would read this and take heed, but then that would end one side's long nonsensical diatribes, so what fun would that be.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It was most assuredly anti-state sponsored religion. They'd seen enough of that. A lot of people hold the founders up as near supermen with forethought that withstood the test of time. I think they simply looked at forms of government that they had been subjected to prior and did their best to find a better structure with some guardrails in place to prevent it from becoming a bad one. They had a lot of collective wisdom, for sure, but I also see the US as the first opportunity for a governmental do-over from the european styled ones and they made the most of it. It has needed, and gotten some amendments along the way, but fundamentally, it is one of the best ideas for government in history, even if we've made a mess of upholding those ideals over time.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If we are intended to be a Christian nation (which I firmly believe we were founded explicitly to prevent national religion), I submit that we will need to align on a proper Christian denomination to run the nation. I select the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The moment all of the people who support Christian Nationalism get on board with that, I'll take them seriously.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
You can't just throw out BS and then get your panties in a bunch when you get challenged and can't provide actual evidence of this. Let's address each of your ******** narrative with the truth. Hopefully you learn something from this, but it's not likely.

1. No books have been banned. You can still go out on Amazon, or go to a book store, and acquire any book you want. Local school boards determine curriculum and resources. Here's a good rule of thumb: if, at a press conference, someone is reading from a book in your child's library that is so sexually explicit that the local news cuts away from it, then it doesn't belong in your child's library. Go buy it for your child if you wish, but respect the rights of other parents who don't wish for their child to be exposed to it.

2. I thought you guys like living in a democracy? If you live in a state where abortion is restricted, start a grass roots effort to elect democrats who believe what you believe and get the law changed. That's how it works. And SCOTUS didn't force their abortion beliefs on others. They rightfully made it a state issue because it was unconstitutional for Roe to become law without a say from the American people. You guys like to talk about how popular abortion is, but the reality is there's a reason Roe was never codified - it's because democrats never had the votes to do it. And if you just HAVE to have an abortion - it's legal in many states - go get one. You have that right, but you need to respect the rights of others who don't want that in their state. Elections have consequences.

3. You need to give specific examples of this. This is a free country and everyone has equal rights under the law. You're free to do anything you want in your house hold that is lawful.

There is a common theme in your takes: You claim rights are rolled back, restrictions are put in place, etc., but that's exactly what you are trying to do to people you disagree with. Folks like you need to get this through your uneducated skulls: your rights end where mine start. You have the right to blow whoever or whatever you want in the privacy of your home. You have the right to put on dresses and pretend to be a girl in your own home. You have the right to drive to Illinois and get an abortion if you want. I also have the right to raise my children in a manner that they aren't exposed to that stuff. I also have a right to worship my God and believe what I want to believe. You want me to respect your rights? Respect my rights. When we can get to that point, we can all get above this republican vs democrat BS and start getting to a better place.

Your daddy should have taught you all of this. But since he didn't get the job done, I'm more than happy to step into the breach for the good of mankind

I don't have a problem with you believing what you want. I have a problem with you trying to force your beliefs on me.

...and leave my family out of this. Anytime you have to resort to comments about family or comparing things to Hitler, you've lost the argument.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Is your state more or less conservative than it was 15 years ago ?
My state is clearly further right than it was 15 years ago. It was a very healthy purple 15 years ago. And by healthy, I mean it was productive even though it was very much split.

Now for some long winded details...
The Senate was very evenly split up to 2017, when it went significantly right.
The House was very evenly split up to 2010, when it went significantly right.
The Governor went right in 2011, but went significantly right in 2017 since Reynolds stepped in for Branstad.

Up until about 2017, there was often at least 1 of the 3 above that was a different party than the other 2. Since 2017, all 3 have been red and not coincidentally, since 2017 there has been a clear and consistent attack on public education, a reduction in work safety and worker rights, and my state becoming a leader in legislating current national outrage issues(trans sports, trans bathroom, books, masks, CRT, etc) without taking time to see if its actually in issue or taking time to see if the verbiage even does what bill sponsors want.
Quite often, the bills that make it thru dont even do what the legislators want, or the bills do more than the legislators intended. This is partly due to national organizations providing templates for these issues and the template being used, even though some things in the templates conflict with other current state laws. Its also partly due to bills being pushed thru without fully understanding what the bill says while also ignoring interest groups that raise concerns about the bills wording.

A couple fun recent issues as examples-
- a bill was passed that declared schools can only call students by their full name or the name(s) listed by parents when the student was registered for school. This was done to ensure schools wont call a kid by a preferred name due to gender identity. What actually happened was that schools couldnt call students by simple nicknames(John instead of Johnathan) if John's parents didnt list 'John' as an acceptable name when registering. Letters would have to go home to parents and specific permission would need to be given for a school(teachers, coaches, etc) to call a kid by a nickname. The Governor's office, thru the Dept of Ed, refused to provide guidance, which left school districts to interpret how to handle the new law and risk violating state law.
- school vouchers were passed and implemented this year. Legislators allow $7600 to move with any student(regardless of household income) to a private school. Ok, that is nuts on its own, but whatever. The really crazy thing is that the private schools do not have to account for how the public funds are spent. Thats insane. There is no oversight. There is no auditing. Nothing. The exact same funds are scrutinized and audited when spent in public schools, but there is no auditing when it goes to private schools. Private schools are able to take public funds and never account for how public education dollars are spent. They are not required to report on student progress either. Its completely nuts. This occurred even though countless groups pointed out how irresponsible it would be to hand over public funds without any oversight.
These schools can refuse to educate a student based on religion or disability, but they receive public funds through collected taxes and they dont have to show how those public funds are spent.
63% of legislators looked at this and thought 'yep, this looks like a good way for tax money to be spent', then voted in support.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
After reading all the hate for Tate on this board through the last 4 years, I am surprised there is any active support for him. I have no idea who he is running against, but after seeing how much Tate has been lit up on here, I would think almost any support for him is more 'passive hold your nose and vote' support vs active proud support.

Anyways, 50 can 50 today. I have my own problems up here where there are countless MFL single issue school board candidates who genuinely DGA17 about everything that goes into running a school district and only care about their MFL agenda, and a state Legislature that is all too willing to pander to the same group of crazy voters and push out even more education legislation that isnt fully thought out and creates countless unintended consequences.

Im with Podgy- lets see Reeves in some JSU swag or rocking a Fighting Okra on his chest. Crank up the pandering to 11.
Yeah we deal with the M4L nonsense around here as well. They honestly have no clue how school boards are run and don’t care to know. They just act like crazy people and take pride on publically targeting people who are things differently. Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login