Hines is killing us tonight….

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Need somebody to step up, Hines hasn’t looked comfortable all night, getting behind. Think about time for Clark to find one. Thank God Larry is really fast.

Reactions: onewoof

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m sure the answer to this is that it’s just always been this way, but how in the world is a runner allowed to continue advancing after sliding into a thrown ball and booting it into left field? That is absolute horseshit

Reactions: WilCoDawg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I’m sure the answer to this is that it’s just always been this way, but how in the world is a runner allowed to continue advancing after sliding into a thrown ball and booting it into left field? That is absolute horseshit
Yes it is. Terrible luck there. Wouldve been better if highfil missed the pop bunt.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
That ball has to be knocked down by the middle infielders. Just a **** sequence

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Who the 17s idea was it to pinch hit with a guy that hasn’t batted but once since April 2 to end the game? 1 rbi on the year

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Highfill was slow after celebrating a great play and made a late low throw.

What's the opposite of clutch hitting. We just didn't have any huevos tonight sadly

Reactions: skydawg1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because the ball bounced away from all our fielders? WTF do you expect? Superhuman speed?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Because the ball bounced away from all our fielders? WTF do you expect? Superhuman speed?
No no. I’m not blaming our fielding. I’m asking how does the baseball rule book allow this? If it’s not runner interference, at the very least the runner should be forced to hold.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Bullshiat. I watched the whole damn thing. It’s just one of those things that happens.

Y’all suck. I hate to lose a one-run game but damn. Blew numerous chances. Ie the purpose of this thread

if you want to blame someone, blame our hitting.
Not blaming him but a full second ran off before he realized he needed to throw it. Odds are low there's a tag up there I realize that. We weren't ready for it. No one would have run on LoTan on that play.

Pair that play up with not a single RBI and yes there you have it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No no. I’m not blaming our fielding. I’m asking how does the baseball rule book allow this? If it’s not runner interference, at the very least the runner should be forced to hold.

I think the runner is entitled to the basepath. If throw is low and on the 1B side of the bag and hits him, its not on the runner. What sucks is Highfill had no chance to get him even with a perfect throw. Dude has wheels, and knows it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah certainly cant blame Highfill for that, just a bad break. Runner is definitely allowed to slide into a base, if the balls hits him thats the defenses problem, not the guy sliding fairly into the base.

Good aggressive base running by Auburn that led to a run, a lot like our good aggressive base running led to our run.

Tough loss tonight, especially with UGA and UT both getting big wins. Wasted a good start and Dohm is probably done for the weekend throwing 40+ pitches. Puts a lot of pressure on our starters the next 2 days to pitch deep into games.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Mershon has to get in front of the bag to field that throw or at least knock it down. He retreated to field it on the hop, allowing it to hit the runner.

Can’t tag him from behind the bag anyway. No reason to be there.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Hancock has been really, really bad. I can’t believe he finally got a hit tonight after it’s been so long. He’s a liability no matter where he is on the field. I can’t believe we can keep running him back out there and keep a straight face about it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Not blaming him but a full second ran off before he realized he needed to throw it.

I don’t think that’s the case, but I get how it appears that way because I initially thought the same thing. I think the appearance that he delayed was actually a created by 3 things:

1) He was running away backwards and sliding on his knees to make the catch. Had to stand up, turn around, and set his feet to throw.

2) Even before all that, he didn’t catch it cleanly. Replay clearly showed that he pinched it in the outer padding of the mitt, looked down and saw he didn’t have it secure, then opened / closed glove after to secure it. Problem is, runner can take off as soon as the ball hits the glove the first time.

3) A very, very fast runner….who was well over halfway to 2nd base before throw was released.

It was an odd play with a foul bunt pop-up to the catcher trying to throw out a runner tagging up. I say odd because, with no other context, you’d assume that to be an absolutely automatic double play. But the reality is he had absolutely no chance to get the 2nd out. None whatsoever.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah certainly cant blame Highfill for that, just a bad break. Runner is definitely allowed to slide into a base, if the balls hits him thats the defenses problem, not the guy sliding fairly into the base.

Good aggressive base running by Auburn that led to a run, a lot like our good aggressive base running led to our run.

Tough loss tonight, especially with UGA and UT both getting big wins. Wasted a good start and Dohm is probably done for the weekend throwing 40+ pitches. Puts a lot of pressure on our starters the next 2 days to pitch deep into games.
Good call. This is probably what I should be upset about. It’s just so frustrating to essentially lose a game on a great play behind the plate and what I thought was at least a decent throw from 130 ft away by Highfill.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hancock has been really, really bad. I can’t believe he finally got a hit tonight after it’s been so long. He’s a liability no matter where he is on the field. I can’t believe we can keep running him back out there and keep a straight face about it.
In lemonis's eyes if you played well during the national championship run, you get put into the starting lineup for the rest of your time here.

He was recruited as a catcher, couldnt play it, and in the meantime we have a 1/2nd round draft pick playing DH instead of 1b, so we can keep the "captain" on the field.

He has some value, solid role player. But makes way too much sense to have had hines playing 1b last night, and someone like chance in the lineup as the DH against a very good LHP.

It was said on the TV broadcast that lemonis said Chance hadnt done anything wrong he just didnt have a place to play Chance, really??

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I think it’s certainly fair to ask if Chance or Downs gives us more run production than Hancock.

The other bad part is that we spent probably a decent amount of NIL pool to bring him back

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Just
In lemonis's eyes if you played well during the national championship run, you get put into the starting lineup for the rest of your time here.

He was recruited as a catcher, couldnt play it, and in the meantime we have a 1/2nd round draft pick playing DH instead of 1b, so we can keep the "captain" on the field.

He has some value, solid role player. But makes way too much sense to have had hines playing 1b last night, and someone like chance in the lineup as the DH against a very good LHP.

It was said on the TV broadcast that lemonis said Chance hadnt done anything wrong he just didnt have a place to play Chance, really??

Jordan started figuring it out and took Chance’s spot. You’re not sitting any of our current OF’s right now. The only option you may have is to sit either Hancock or Highfill, move Hines to first base, and DH Chance. But keep in mind we tried that earlier in the year and it was a disaster defensively. So I don’t think there’s an obvious solution.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
We have too many DH’s and not enough quality defenders. Alford has come around with the glove and his arm but he has become an instant out. Same with Hancock who makes great plays with his glove but is a ground ball out way too often. The team batting average going into last night was .303 and you look at some of these guys hitting over .330. But when are these hits coming? They don’t seem to happen with RISP. We have Soooo many solo Homeruns so that says they are not clutch hitters. I don’t know. Something is very off about this team and I don’t think the chosen Captain is much of a leader.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Hines won’t be anywhere close to a 1st / 2nd round pick if he can’t play a position. And he’s currently subpar everywhere there even at the college level. And he had the golden sombrero last night, so its an especially odd time to dump on Hancock and talk about how he needed to sit so Hines could be at 1B.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines won’t be anywhere close to a 1st / 2nd round pick if he can’t play a position. And he’s currently subpar everywhere there even at the college level. And he had the golden sombrero last night, so its an especially odd time to dump on Hancock and talk about how he needed to sit so Hines could be at 1B.
I'll take that bet. You name your price. Since you say anywhere near a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'll say Hines is a no doubt top 5 round draft picks period. 6-5, 230 pounds, with light tower power. Will hit 20 homers this season in the SEC. Guys like that are littered all over the big leagues, and now the entire league has the DH. Think he was projected as a top 5 round draft pick out of high school, all he's done is confirm or improve that draft profile. Shows downright lack of knowledge on how MLB drafts work and what a MLB draft pick looks like to even mention a comment like that.

How exactly does anyone know if hes subpar at 1b? hes played 20 games in his career over there because we've decided that a converted catcher that cant hit needs to play every day over there

Not odd timing I've said it all year, and will continue to say it. Hancock is very much a role player that we continue to place in the lineup daily. I posted in another thread that he's actually one of the 2-3 worst 1b in the entire SEC. Why he is written in hte lineup in permenant marker is beyond me. Why he's in the 5 spot is simply undefensable.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Just

Jordan started figuring it out and took Chance’s spot. You’re not sitting any of our current OF’s right now. The only option you may have is to sit either Hancock or Highfill, move Hines to first base, and DH Chance. But keep in mind we tried that earlier in the year and it was a disaster defensively. So I don’t think there’s an obvious solution.

Certainly not saying write it in stone and never sway. But saying we've done the opposite. Weve just handed a subpar hitter the 1b job and are unwilling to pivot.

Your talking about a guy thats hitting in the 220s in the sec. His OPS is one of the worst on the team in conference play.. and we've just GOT to play him? Statisically speaking he's one of the worst 2-3 1b in the league period, not even looking at conference stats.

Seems like against most lefties, sitting hancock and playing a RHH makes a lot of sense. Can always swap things up for defensive purposes late. But again people are judging Hines at 1b when he rarely gets to play there. Given some time/reps etc he'd likely be adequate which isnt the worst thing at 1b.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Not being burnt isn't a big deal. We saved Nixon by not having to throw him. It's still the same bad middle relief pitching regardless. AU has no Sunday pitching.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Think he was projected as a top 5 round draft pick out of high school, all he's done is confirm or improve that draft profile. Shows downright lack of knowledge on how MLB drafts work and what a MLB draft pick looks like to even mention a comment like that.

Uh what? Projected by who? He was not even a Top 10 player in MS out of HS, and if he was projected to go Top 5 rounds he at least would have gotten drafted somewhere out of HS. And he was recruited as a 3B which he obviously can’t play at this level.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great hitter and I’m glad we have him, and he’ll get drafted in a decent enough spot to likely make him a 3-year player….but Top 1-2 rounds is pushing it. Brent Rooker - an actual everyday 1B - was barely a 1st rounder after his historically absurd 2017 season….keep that in mind.

How exactly does anyone know if hes subpar at 1b? hes played 20 games in his career over there because we've decided that a converted catcher that cant hit needs to play every day over there

He has as many errors at 1B as Hancock in not nearly as many starts there this year, and nowhere close to the range. Hancock just is far, far better than him defensively. It doesn’t seem like we have a big enough upgrade over Hancock offensively to justify the increased defensive liability at 1B of Hines. Perhaps an option is Chance or Downs at 1B and keep Hines at DH….I don’t know. But I’d guess those options have been considered.

I posted in another thread that he's actually one of the 2-3 worst 1b in the entire SEC. Why he is written in hte lineup in permenant marker is beyond me. Why he's in the 5 spot is simply undefensable.

I’m going to assume you mean “2 or 3 worst hitting first 1B”. And that very well may be true. But that doesn’t matter if he’s the best still the best one we have that can play the position. We have to have 2 Hunter Hines-ish players offensively with no position to justify benching Hancock, and it seems we only have one.

As far as hitting in the 5 spot, I haven’t tracked his conference only stats to know where he’s at vs. the 6-9 guys, but yes we should certainly consider moving him down if he has struggles that are longer than a weekend or two….of course considering pitching matchups and such.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Uh what? Projected by who? He was not even a Top 10 player in MS out of HS, and if he was projected to go Top 5 rounds he at least would have gotten drafted somewhere out of HS. And he was recruited as a 3B which he obviously can’t play at this level.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great hitter and I’m glad we have him, and he’ll get drafted in a decent enough spot to likely make him a 3-year player….but Top 1-2 rounds is pushing it. Brent Rooker - an actual everyday 1B - was barely a 1st rounder after his historically absurd 2017 season….keep that in mind.

He has as many errors at 1B as Hancock in not nearly as many starts there this year, and nowhere close to the range. Hancock just is far, far better than him defensively. It doesn’t seem like we have a big enough upgrade over Hancock offensively to justify the increased defensive liability at 1B of Hines. Perhaps an option is Chance or Downs at 1B and keep Hines at DH….I don’t know. But I’d guess those options have been considered.

I’m going to assume you mean “2 or 3 worst hitting first 1B”. And that very well may be true. But that doesn’t matter if he’s the best still the best one we have that can play the position. We have to have 2 Hunter Hines-ish players offensively with no position to justify benching Hancock, and it seems we only have one.

go back and look up anything about Hines. He was a projected top 2-3 round draft pick and told everyone not to draft him because he was 100’percent going to school. I’m not going to waste my time digging that up for you, feel free to do it yourself if you care.

your comparing Hines to rooker is laughable, the minute you quit worried about stats in mlb projections the better off you are. MLB scouts looks for tools. Hines has them. You are without question totally lost on how mlb scouts and drafts work. You claimed jurrangleo would be a 1st rounder earlier, I suggest you spend some time looking at real mlb draft prospects before making any type of bet. Again Hines is a sure fire top 5 rounder and likely a top 2 rounder. I’ll bet any amount of money you want

errors at 1b? Are you serious? How many errors did Forsythe make at short? 1b is not a defense first position. And again I’d guess given time Hines would be adequate and that’s all you really need over there.

and finally yes. One of the worst 1b in the league yet we continue to write him in the line up permanently. Again I’m not saying banish him off the island but against a good lefty sitting him and his great defense to get another bat in the Order seems more than reasonable

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Don't throw the ball there. What the heck are you even talking about? The runner has the right to advance to the base, it is the fielders issue if they throw it into their path.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
go back and look up anything about Hines. He was a projected top 2-3 round draft pick and told everyone not to draft him because he was 100’percent going to school. I’m not going to waste my time digging that up for you, feel free to do it yourself if you care.

your comparing Hines to rooker is laughable, the minute you quit worried about stats in mlb projections the better off you are. MLB scouts looks for tools. Hines has them. You are without question totally lost on how mlb scouts and drafts work. You claimed jurrangleo would be a 1st rounder earlier, I suggest you spend some time looking at real mlb draft prospects before making any type of bet. Again Hines is a sure fire top 5 rounder and likely a top 2 rounder. I’ll bet any amount of money you want

errors at 1b? Are you serious? How many errors did Forsythe make at short? 1b is not a defense first position. And again I’d guess given time Hines would be adequate and that’s all you really need over there.

and finally yes. One of the worst 1b in the league yet we continue to write him in the line up permanently. Again I’m not saying banish him off the island but against a good lefty sitting him and his great defense to get another bat in the Order seems more than reasonable
Yep. Hancock cannot bat against a good lefty. This has been one of the worst return years for a player I have ever seen that stayed healthy all year. Hancock cannot drive a ball to the gap anymore. He rolls over too many. Hines disappears when runners are on base. He literally cannot hit the ball the other way. Lefties will throw him low and outside breaking every time. He missed three swings yesterday by a combined 5 feet.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

You’re not going to waste time because you don’t have the info. Thanks.

your comparing Hines to rooker is laughable, the minute you quit worried about stats in mlb projections the better off you are. MLB scouts looks for tools. Hines has them. You are without question totally lost on how mlb scouts and drafts work.

So Rooker didn’t have tools? He didn’t have power? He wasn’t a guy who could at least play 1B at the collegiate level? And he was also a plus runner, too. And still a 1/2 comp pick. Why don’t put you MLB scout hat on and tell us what tools Hines has that are far better than Rooker’s? This should be good.

You claimed jurrangleo would be a 1st rounder earlier, I suggest you spend some time looking at real mlb draft prospects before making any type of bet.

Wow….your reading comprehension is atrocious. I never said that, and even said the complete opposite of that multiple times. I said if he ever developed plus off-speed stuff with both arms and increased FB speed with both arms he could be, but that was a near impossible task in a college development program, so he could have been personally better off going straight to MLB out of HS even if it meant lower draft position, signing bonus, etc.

I’m just going to stop commenting at this point. Your interpretation of both written words and numbers as evidenced by this and other statements is so bad that anything further from my end would just be a waste of keystrokes.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You’re not going to waste time because you don’t have the info. Thanks.

So Rooker didn’t have tools? He didn’t have power? He wasn’t a guy who could at least play 1B at the collegiate level? And he was also a plus runner, too. And still a 1/2 comp pick. Why don’t put you MLB scout hat on and tell us what tools Hines has that are far better than Rooker’s? This should be good.

Wow….your reading comprehension is atrocious. I never said that, and even said the complete opposite of that multiple times. I said if he ever developed plus off-speed stuff with both arms and increased FB speed with both arms he could be, but that was a near impossible task in a college development program, so he could have been personally better off going straight to MLB out of HS even if it meant lower draft position, signing bonus, etc.

I’m just going to stop commenting at this point. Your interpretation of both written words and numbers as evidenced by this and other statements is so bad that anything further from my end would just be a waste of keystrokes.

No i dont care to look it up, when i know whats true. And because this isnt the first time youve spouted off something you think is true when its not (north carolinas 19 RPI sound familiar) Dakota Jordan also wasnt drafted? does that mean he didnt have 1st round talent?

Never said Rooker didnt have tools. Said you cant compare the two. They arent good comparsions. Rooker is all the things you said, Hines is nothing that Rooker is. So you cant compare them. However there are again people littered all over MLB that Hines fits the profile of. The swing and miss doesnt matter, the cant hit oppo doesnt matter, Hines has big league level talent.

No you actually said if Jurragenlo had quality off speed pitches he'd be a 1st rounder. In which multiple people on this board, not just me, basically said with his size he's never going to be a 1st rounder.

You probably need to quit commenting on anything MLB/draft/propsect wise. Some of the other things you say hold water and have merit, but when discussing the draft, prospect, and thigns of that nature.. you simply dont get it. Its actually quiet laughable some of the stuff you say.

BTW: Hines 39 best prospect, before season started. Even if you count in 20 high school guys, thats safely in the 2nd round of the draft.

Just like you back pedaled on 13 wins and in bet, I assume you'll back pedal off your stance with this one as well

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I’ll save you the trouble. 39th best prospect that was before the season started. No doubt sure fire top 5 rounds

Wow….what a source. He’ll only be getting picked 3 spots ahead of….Slate Alford?

And by the way, Mr. Reading Comprehension, your statement was “projected Top 5 rounds out of high school”. This is an article from like 2 months ago, projecting a draft that is 16 months away, and putting him barely in the Top 40 of college players (excluding HS guys and other breakout players from first few months of this season). And you also said Top 2 rounds.

So once again, much like Hunter Hines last night….

5E25A9CE-29B3-4384-B875-915ECFA03C05.jpeg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Here is another article that has Hines in the top 100, this is with ALL available players. Meaning again top 5 rounds.

Sure those scouts care that he cant play a position like you claim?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So D1 baseball isnt a good source? Ahhh OK.

Keep running those RPI delta's on your spreadsheet. Although you are still very wrong about that, at least you are closer (BTW State dropped 10 spots last night) than you are with your draft predictions.

Yes. Top 5 out of high school is very true. Just like Jordan was projected as a 1st rounder but didnt get drafted b/c he told people he was going to school. However you claim he'll go nowhere near the top 2 rounds, because he cant play 1st. I've found two articles that show people (thankfully) way smarter than you both have him easily either in or near those top two rounds you claim he'll get nowhere near.

Youre actually baseball knowledge isnt bad. What you know about projections and the draft is probably kindergarten level. Keep calling Forysthe a possible draft guy and go guy after this 3rd year, and Jurrangelo a 1st rounder and follow that up with Hines wont be anything close to a 1-2nd round pick...... I'm sure your hell in your local 9 year old park league draft

you also need to check your reading comprehesion. The artcile wasnt where people are going to be drafted, it rated the prospects. Again in februrary. I can assure you that Hines prospect value has only gone UP since then

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Don't throw the ball there. What the heck are you even talking about? The runner has the right to advance to the base, it is the fielders issue if they throw it into their path.
Some of y’all are acting like Stanfield made a straight beeline to 2nd base and just got pegged in the back by our fielder.

The ball is somewhere between 2-3 feet inside the line when it first hits him, and again, I get that the rule states that this is kosher. I’m stating that any rule that allows a runner to slide into a thrown ball, knock into the outfield and continue running is a stupid rule

2181B803-08A5-4255-B766-38DF0EFBA283.jpeg

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login