Holy crap, did Juwan Howard just lose his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Football doesn’t do a handshake line and I don’t think baseball does (maybe after some games). If players want to seek out their opponent after the game and congratulate them, then good for them. It shouldn’t be a forced mandatory thing. We haven’t done a handshake line all year and I haven’t heard anyone whining about our lack of sportsmanship.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
They do where I am. Kids are taught at an early age sportsmanship and that’s part of it. To take winning and losing properly. How to respect your opponent. I’ve witnessed kids with tears from losing in lines congratulating their opponents. But by all means, let’s get rid of a special part of games because some a$$hole can’t take losing a game.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
After watching the video, and reading Howard’s defense that he felt threatened, one can’t help but call BS. Howard said someone touched him and was defending himself. He was pushed away from the UW coaches by the officials and he clearly came back into the huddle to struck the assistant. I don’t know anything about him but this makes him look pretty dumb and a coward. Just fess up to making a mistake. Or keep your mouth shut.

This would make me want to fire him. I'm a big fan of not defining people by their worst moments and would not be adamant if I were a Michigan fan that he be fired, but claiming he felt threatened is such a pus move on top of not showing any accountability. He's got 6 inches, no telling how many pounds, and there are at least three people between them. He didn't feel threatened, he just acted like a teenage thug.

The Wisconsin coach was an idiot also. Howard's not one of your players and if he wants to walk away from you, there's nothing you can do about it. Let him walk away. If Howard had hit him when it happened, that would have been unacceptable also, but you can't grab somebody like that that's mad and Howard would have had something of a defense. Even if he escalated it, it would have been the wisconsin coach that would have started the physicality.

But Howard showing less control than is required of 18 year old's is pretty damn bad, but then whining like a ***** afterwards and falsely pretending he felt threatened after he had time to cool off and think about it rather than just accept responsibility to me is a fireable offense.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They do where I am. Kids are taught at an early age sportsmanship and that’s part of it. To take winning and losing properly. How to respect your opponent. I’ve witnessed kids with tears from losing in lines congratulating their opponents. But by all means, let’s get rid of a special part of games because some a$$hole can’t take losing a game.

- When I mentioned football on saturday doesnt do handshake lines, I was referring to college. This is college basketball we are talking about, so I referenced how the most popular college sport doesnt have handshake lines and nobody is up in arms over it. I dont know if the poster you responded to was also speaking about college level at a minimum, or what. Regardless, thru all the complaining you do on here, I dont remember you taking issue with a lack of handshake lines in college football. Why not? There isnt anything unique about the sport that wouldnt allow for handshake lines.

- Kids mindlessly saying 'good game' to everyone on the other team, regardless of how those people played, isnt good sportsmanship. Its just fulfilling an obligation.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
Should be fired. Does deserve another chance but not in current role. Wisconsin coach deserves mild disciplinary action as well.
Just for sake of argument, anyone defending Howard currently work in a job where if a customer, fellow employee, or employee with a different company you are working on a project with that disagrees with you and for whatever reason gets out of line and let’s say touches your arm. Would you get to keep your job if……. I don’t know you decided to slap the 17 out of another random person associated with them while on the clock?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Are you kidding ?!?! Don’t need a handshake line anymore???
Ever heard of Sportmanship?
Losing with humility??

You can have sportsmanship without high fiving after the game.
Football has been doing it for ever. When was the last time you saw players form up and shake hands after a game, in anything higher than Peewee?
That's right.... it doesn't happen, ever.

Now do players shoot the **** with other players on the other team? Yes. But it isn't some forced PRE-BOOMER ritual.

Again, we don't need it in anything above 6th grade.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Greenberg and D Vitale and ANYONE else that thinks the handshake line is obsolete is 17ING WRONG !!!
What are these idiots 17ing thinking ?!?!?!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes it's difficult to know what to do in these situations. For this one, it's not. He should be fired. Nothing more than the video is needed. He should probably also be arrested.

Emotions are high in that moment. Some of you snowflakes don't understand that what the Wisconsin coach (Gard) did by calling that timeout is reprehensible. It's like running up the score in football. He did it specifically to enrage Howard which you can tell by reading his lips when he was talking to the team during the timeout. After the game, Gard grabbed and kept chirping at Howard while he was trying to avoid him and walk away. So Gard escalated it to begin with. Then the assistant coach was talking some serious **** to Howard, which you can tell by how all the Michigan players were responding to him.

Howard shouldn't have done what he did but damn, don't try to poke a tiger through the cage at the zoo and then get upset when he roars at you. He definitely shouldn't lose his job over it, and Gard deserves disciplinary action too for escalating it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Greenberg and D Vitale and ANYONE else that thinks the handshake line is obsolete is 17ING WRONG !!!

Imagine having a really strong opinion on whether college kids should shake hands after playing basketball.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
While at the college level, college football games indeed do not end with a line but it does end with coaches meeting midfield as well as the players. They’re congratulating one another.

And, yes, kids are mindlessly fulfilling an obligation just like they mindlessly fulfill every obligation they do in life. Karate Kid comes to mind with kids doing mindless obligations. They do this to train them. It’s on the coaches though to remind them of what they’re doing. Just like the mindless things they do in practice. “This is what you do and WHY you do it.” It’s unfortunate that this is lost on you given that you claim to coach.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
While at the college level, college football games indeed do not end with a line but it does end with coaches meeting midfield as well as the players. They’re congratulating one another.

And, yes, kids are mindlessly fulfilling an obligation just like they mindlessly fulfill every obligation they do in life. Karate Kid comes to mind with kids doing mindless obligations. They do this to train them. It’s on the coaches though to remind them of what they’re doing. Just like the mindless things they do in practice. “This is what you do and WHY you do it.” It’s unfortunate that this is lost on you given that you claim to coach.

Ok, so we agree college football doesnt do a handshake line. And it appears you are OK with that. Yet you are all worked up over the suggestion of not having a handshake line?...surely you can see how funny that is.
Yeah, if the players want to chat after the game like football, great.

As for kids mindlessly fulfilling an obligation...I fully support teaching kids to act with intention and congratulate the other team. I sometimes talk to specific kids on other teams and mention something they did really well. When a kid on my team knows of someone from the opposing team, they have sometimes said something after the game that is genuine and specific.
Mindlessly saying 'good game' to a team you just destroyed is a joke. It is insincere and should change. Telling little Timmy 'good game' after Timmy missed all his shots and turned the ball over 10 times in 5 minutes of play is dumb. Obviously you dont have to say 'you suck, Timmy!', but also dont tell him 'good game'. Instead, show appreciation and thank the team as a whole for playing.

You mention 'this is what you do and WHY you do it', but I dont think I could say with a serious face that my players should tell a kid 'good game' even though she struggled and we targeted her on both serving and attacks which made her life miserable for 30 minutes. Its insincere and I dont like insincere gestures.

Edited to add- At the house/peewee/young level I absolutely think handshake lines are a great way to end games and teach kids about sportsmanship. My comments have been focused on college/competitive play. So competitive HS level and up.

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
They should do like Rugby players and after the match is over go to your local pub and get **** face drunk and sing Rugby songs. Winners buy the first round.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
mstateglfr said:
Ok, so we agree college football doesnt do a handshake line. And it appears you are OK with that. Yet you are all worked up over the suggestion of not having a handshake line?...surely you can see how funny that is.
Yeah, if the players want to chat after the game like football, great.

As for kids mindlessly fulfilling an obligation...I fully support teaching kids to act with intention and congratulate the other team. I sometimes talk to specific kids on other teams and mention something they did really well. When a kid on my team knows of someone from the opposing team, they have sometimes said something after the game that is genuine and specific.
Mindlessly saying 'good game' to a team you just destroyed is a joke. It is insincere and should change. Telling little Timmy 'good game' after Timmy missed all his shots and turned the ball over 10 times in 5 minutes of play is dumb. Obviously you dont have to say 'you suck, Timmy!', but also dont tell him 'good game'. Instead, show appreciation and thank the team as a whole for playing.

You mention 'this is what you do and WHY you do it', but I dont think I could say with a serious face that my players should tell a kid 'good game' even though she struggled and we targeted her on both serving and attacks which made her life miserable for 30 minutes. Its insincere and I dont like insincere gestures.
I’m not sure why you’re even wanting to discuss college football. We’re talking about college basketball and how the game is done. And I’m not worked up. I just think it’s asinine that strat thinks we should do away with the act of sportsmanship because one jerk can’t behave like a grown man. He got called out by the other coach for not shaking his hand like a man and then got crazy. The man has a history of being unstable. HE should be removed before they remove the line. That’s my point. I’m really not sure why that’s worth you wanting to go round and round about this. You know, besides you just wanting to be contrarian as always.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m not sure why you’re even wanting to discuss college football. We’re talking about college basketball and how the game is done. And I’m not worked up. I just think it’s asinine that strat thinks we should do away with the act of sportsmanship because one jerk can’t behave like a grown man. He got called out by the other coach for not shaking his hand like a man and then got crazy. The man has a history of being unstable. HE should be removed before they remove the line. That’s my point. I’m really not sure why that’s worth you wanting to go round and round about this. You know, besides you just wanting to be contrarian as always.

Dude, I asked you earlier why it is needed and brought up that college football doesnt do a handshake line. That kicked off a back and forth conversation. My initial question to you had football in it, so I dont know why you are suddenly questioning why football is discussed.

I will spell it out- football is discussed because it is a major sport that doesnt have handshake lines and nobody cares that there are no handshake lines. So if nobody cares that the most popular sport doesnt have em, then why be upset if college basketball doesnt have em?

And again, you call it sportsmanship, but is it? Why is insincerely telling someone 'good game' an act of good sportsmanship?
Its better to just not say anything when going thru the line when you are older, unless you know an opponent and want to say something specific to them- just walk thru the line and touch hands as a recognition of clean play during the game.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
YOU were talking about college football. I never mentioned it nor have I been. If you can point out where I’ve been arguing for that, please do. At this point, you’re arguing with yourself.

Meanwhile, there’s been no good argument for why the handshake should be removed from college BASKETBALL.

As to you thinking that telling a kid insincerely that he/she did good, or even the classic “good game”, that will possibly build that kid up, shame on you! Encouraging every kid SHOULD be at the top of your priority list as a coach. I don’t care how insincere it is. Equally, teaching your team to admit defeat and sincerely tell their opponents that they played a heck of a game is just as important. All of this just makes me more happy that your up in Iowa and not do here teaching (or more so NOT teaching) kids such things.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If you randomly brought up a point for ending hand shake lines, we might listen.

You are only doing it now bc it fits your agenda.

Poor poor Juan Howard.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Yeah, I sorta played a bit. Still do. And coach.
What is your point in asking?

I posted this earlier- those who are crying for handshake lines to continue, do you ramble to anyone within earshot every Saturday in the fall because there are no handshake lines?

I mean no offense and I am just curious. What do you coach? I ask because we still do the hand shake line in high school football.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Help me understand why I can't put my opinion on here without you calling me a "snowflake"? You must have an extremely high opinion of yourself.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
YOU were talking about college football. I never mentioned it nor have I been. If you can point out where I’ve been arguing for that, please do. At this point, you’re arguing with yourself.

Meanwhile, there’s been no good argument for why the handshake should be removed from college BASKETBALL.

As to you thinking that telling a kid insincerely that he/she did good, or even the classic “good game”, that will possibly build that kid up, shame on you! Encouraging every kid SHOULD be at the top of your priority list as a coach. I don’t care how insincere it is. Equally, teaching your team to admit defeat and sincerely tell their opponents that they played a heck of a game is just as important. All of this just makes me more happy that your up in Iowa and not do here teaching (or more so NOT teaching) kids such things.

Yes, I brought up college football because it was an attempt to try and understand why you(and others) expect a handshake line in one sport but not another. You still havent provided and actual good reason for why you want it in one but dont care that it doesnt exist another.

There has been no good argument for why the handshake should be removed from college basketball, I agree. Howard's actions shouldnt mean the handshake is removed. At the same time, there has also been no good argument for why it should stay in college basketball. There also has been no good argument for why it exists in college basketball but not in college football. Letting teams just informally congratulate each other on the court after the game ends(some do this already) is better than insincere handshake lines.

All that aside, I am not sure why you think encouraging kids to be good sports isnt at the top of my list as a coach. You dont know what I have or havent worked on as a coach with the current team as a whole or with individual players. Its an odd assumption that I dont make encouraging sportsmanship a priority. Its also odd that you think I dont teach them to admit, accept, and work thru defeat while congratulating others.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
mstateglfr said:
Yes, I brought up college football because it was an attempt to try and understand why you(and others) expect a handshake line in one sport but not another. You still havent provided and actual good reason for why you want it in one but dont care that it doesnt exist another.

There has been no good argument for why the handshake should be removed from college basketball, I agree. Howard's actions shouldnt mean the handshake is removed. At the same time, there has also been no good argument for why it should stay in college basketball. There also has been no good argument for why it exists in college basketball but not in college football. Letting teams just informally congratulate each other on the court after the game ends(some do this already) is better than insincere handshake lines.

All that aside, I am not sure why you think encouraging kids to be good sports isnt at the top of my list as a coach. You dont know what I have or havent worked on as a coach with the current team as a whole or with individual players. Its an odd assumption that I dont make encouraging sportsmanship a priority. Its also odd that you think I dont teach them to admit, accept, and work thru defeat while congratulating others.
My good man, the good reason to keep it, as has been stated, is to practice good sportsmanship. We get it, you think it’s lame-o. That’s unfortunate for you. It’s truly no different than the informal gathering at midfield by coach’s and players after a football game.

As to your coaching, you’ve admitted that you don’t tell your players to “good game” the other team if they didn’t play well. There should be no condition on that. Insincere or not, it should be done out of respect for the game and the opponents even if they didn’t play well. So, yeah, I’m going to judge you but it’s entirely based on your own words.

I’m done bantering with you since I’m beginning to think you’re bored and trolling.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My good man, the good reason to keep it, as has been stated, is to practice good sportsmanship. We get it, you think it’s lame-o. That’s unfortunate for you. It’s truly no different than the informal gathering at midfield by coach’s and players after a football game.

As to your coaching, you’ve admitted that you don’t tell your players to “good game” the other team if they didn’t play well. There should be no condition on that. Insincere or not, it should be done out of respect for the game and the opponents even if they didn’t play well. So, yeah, I’m going to judge you but it’s entirely based on your own words.

I’m done bantering with you since I’m beginning to think you’re bored and trolling.

- I dont think handshake lines are 'lame-o'. I think that making kids say 'good game' to everyone, regardless of how they played, is insincere. Its just flat out insincere. Continuing an insincere practice just because its tradition makes no sense to me. I dont think it is 'lame-o' though. It can be an opportunity to genuinely congratulate others. If you have ever watched youth sports though, it almost never ends up being that. Once teams get to a higher competitive level, thanking the team for playing in general and then specifically telling someone 'good job' if they stand out is enough.

- Good sportsmanship happens thru the game. Cheering with your team for success instead of looking at the other team and cheering is good sportsmanship. Handing a ball to the other team instead of throwing it is good sportsmanship. Helping someone up thats on the other team is good sportsmanship. Waiting for an opponent to tie their shoe even though the ref didnt see and you can technically start play is good sportsmanship. Sharing warmup resources or time/space is good sportsmanship.
Good sportsmanship doesnt start and end at a handshake line.

- I have not said that I tell my players to not tell the other team 'good game'. I have said, repeatedly, that its stupid to tell a kid 'good game' when they didnt have a good game. Its 17ing insulting and insincere. But no, I have not told my players to not say 'good game'.

Insincere or not, it should be done out of respect for the game and the opponents even if they didn’t play well.
This deserves to be quoted a second time. You are actually saying that people should be insincere to opponents out of respect for the game. WT17?! How does that actually line up in your mind as in any way making sense?
'OK team, I know #8 was awful today and is crying because he lost the game for his team, but make sure to tell him he had a good game even though you dont mean it and he knows it isnt true. Its how we respect the game.'
Good lord.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Grown men got into it a bit. One slapped a dude. Big deal. It's big time men's basketball. Maybe a reprimand or one-game suspension. Save the fake outrage drama for women's figure skating.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

No offense intended for anyone that supports lining up and shaking hands after a game, but . . . I have a scenario, and I'd like to hear what you think.

What if the game has just ended, my team has lost, and I'm a player on the losing team. I don't like to lose, so I'm pissed off about losing. Very pissed off . . . mad enough to spit in someone's face.

Should I get in line to shake hands with the players that just kicked my ***? Or, would it be a smarter move for me to just go straight to the locker room without getting into the hand-shaking line?

Please don't answer my question by saying, "You should just be a better sport." I can't help the way I feel, and I know I shouldn't be around the other team when I'm like this, so I just head to the locker room.

Am I wrong to do that? Should I get in line to shake hands, even though that might start a brawl?

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
I interrupt this culture war over post game handshake lines to report that Juwan Howard got a five game suspension.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Let’s be honest here. Juwan Howard did something (punched another coach) that would have gotten anyone else fired (Woody Hays and Bobby Knight can confirm this). Howard gets a five game suspension and will be coaching in both the Big1G and NCAA tournaments. Had Howard put his hand on the arm of the other coach and gotten punched or slapped on the face in response, we all know the other coach would have been dismissed completely. But you won’t hear this in the media. They began circling the wagons around Howard almost immediately and creating the narrative that both coaches were equally at fault. This is BS. Watch the video. Everyone involved knows this is a pretend game to protect Howard.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
From what I watched last night when they replayed it the first thing that was done was Howard telling the Wisconsin coach when he got to him in the line, "I'll remember that ****!"

https://nypost.com/2022/02/21/juwan-howard-video-new-angle-shows-how-fight-got-started/

Howard, the Michigan coach who is awaiting a possible suspension after taking a swing at an opposing coach during the tussle, got things going as he approached Gard.
“I’ll remember that s–t,” Howard appeared to tell the Wisconsin coach, according to a close-up video from WKOW.

Gard then put his hand on Howard’s arm to stop him and try to explain his case for why he took a timeout with 15 seconds left and his team up 15 points — which is evidently what Howard vowed to remember.
But Gard’s touch didn’t sit well with Howard.

“Don’t f–king touch me,” Howard repeatedly said to Gard before the altercation began to boil over.

[FONT="]Caution: Unedited, NSFW language.Here’s my full raw look at the events that led to the postgame brawl following the 77-63 #Wisconsin win over #Michigan.You can see Juwan Howard say “I’ll remember that” to Greg Gard, who said tried explaining himself. pic.twitter.com/stBbFIGqTJ— Pablo Iglesias (@PabloIglesiasTV) February 20, 2022 [/FONT]

Last edited:

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Emma’s Dad;2022291 said:
Let’s be honest here. Juwan Howard did something (punched another coach) that would have gotten anyone else fired (Woody Hays and Bobby Knight can confirm this). Howard gets a five game suspension and will be coaching in both the Big1G and NCAA tournaments. Had Howard put his hand on the arm of the other coach and gotten punched or slapped on the face in response, we all know the other coach would have been dismissed completely. But you won’t hear this in the media. They began circling the wagons around Howard almost immediately and creating the narrative that both coaches were equally at fault. This is BS. Watch the video. Everyone involved knows this is a pretend game to protect Howard.

And Emma’s Dad (son of Mutt) starts yet another culture war.

Some of you people can’t help yourselves.

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Apparently it’s pretty much the foundation of all of Western Civilization.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Why is 'the media' protecting Howard?
And who is 'the media'?...plenty of media personalities have not defended Howard. Are they not part of the media, or is there not a grand conspiracy?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Help me understand why I can't put my opinion on here without you calling me a "snowflake"? You must have an extremely high opinion of yourself.

Getting triggered by my post is a good start.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Getting triggered by my post is a good start.

You called someone an insulting term, they calmly ask why they are called the term, and you claim that calm post means the poster is triggered. Classic Dreb.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I mean no offense and I am just curious. What do you coach? I ask because we still do the hand shake line in high school football.

Sorry- I missed this earlier.
Girls volleyball.

In high school games, yes the handshake line is still done(though this past season it wasnt due to pre-established covid policy).
In club tournament games, its 50-50.

My team basically does whatever the other team is wanting to do. If they start to line up, then we do that. If the other team stays in their postgame huddle, then we wave and say 'thanks'. Either way, we always make sure to thank the other team, their coaches, and the refs(half the time its a different team's coach and half the times its paid refs). At the end of each tournament, we thank the tournament host for the time and effort it takes to run the tournament.

^apparently in spite of the above process, I am not stressing good sportsmanship, according to a poster here.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

LOL

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You called someone an insulting term, they calmly ask why they are called the term, and you claim that calm post means the poster is triggered. Classic Dreb.

I'm glad you took a second to step away from shitposting at Wilco and paindont in this thread to offer your two cents here. Certainly covering the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login