Holy crap, did Juwan Howard just lose his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
How anyone can watch this video and defend or not condemn Howard is beyond me.

Hypocrites.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Your post was like a lot of your takes. Dumb and full of absolute dumb ****.

Did you get those ideas from Facebook?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So you handle coaching decisions like you do posting and politics?

Sackless.

If you think handshaking is so bad, just tell your team we aren’t going to shake hands. Then tell the other coach before the game. That’s pretty simple.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Sorry- I missed this earlier.
Girls volleyball.

Thank you for answering my question, I applaud anyone that takes time to change the lives of young people. As a head coach and assistant for over a decade in 5A and 6A high school football here in Mississippi I have rarely seen the handshake line not happen. It has happened a few times where we have played a rival school and decided not to do it, but most of the time it still happens. I can understand how it might be out of date on the college or professional level these days. I also think that in high school it should still be something that we do and this is for a few reasons. The biggest reason to me is we are teaching these kids not just about how to play a game but also how to deal with issues in life. I believe it is crucial that high school kids learn good sportsmanship and the hand shake line is a small part of that. In my opinion, it teaches them about how to deal with adversity and how to deal with a loss or mistake in the proper way. I can not speak for everyone but where I coach is a mostly urban inner city school in which kids are quick to pick up guns to settle issues. My hope is that in some small way the kids are learning how to better deal with mistakes by facing them, and the hand shake line is a simple and small part of the process. Maybe my ideals on this matter are old fashioned but I just think it serves a purpose at the high school level. Now I will step off my soap box and I hope everyone has a great afternoon.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It's pretty simple to me. Don't act like an idiot. Keep the handshake line.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And olblue still here posting but not saying much.

Give us an actual example of what he said not being true.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
LOL he’s right so I laugh out loud.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So you handle coaching decisions like you do posting and politics?

Sackless.

If you think handshaking is so bad, just tell your team we aren’t going to shake hands. Then tell the other coach before the game. That’s pretty simple.

I dont think handshaking is 'so bad'. I dont care if it happens or doesnt happen. I wouldnt tell the other coach I dont want to do it because, as I have already posted, I dont care if it happens. I have found that sportsmanship can be on full display even without a handshake line.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Thank you for answering my question, I applaud anyone that takes time to change the lives of young people. As a head coach and assistant for over a decade in 5A and 6A high school football here in Mississippi I have rarely seen the handshake line not happen. It has happened a few times where we have played a rival school and decided not to do it, but most of the time it still happens. I can understand how it might be out of date on the college or professional level these days. I also think that in high school it should still be something that we do and this is for a few reasons. The biggest reason to me is we are teaching these kids not just about how to play a game but also how to deal with issues in life. I believe it is crucial that high school kids learn good sportsmanship and the hand shake line is a small part of that. In my opinion, it teaches them about how to deal with adversity and how to deal with a loss or mistake in the proper way. I can not speak for everyone but where I coach is a mostly urban inner city school in which kids are quick to pick up guns to settle issues. My hope is that in some small way the kids are learning how to better deal with mistakes by facing them, and the hand shake line is a simple and small part of the process. Maybe my ideals on this matter are old fashioned but I just think it serves a purpose at the high school level. Now I will step off my soap box and I hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Your ideals arent old fashioned. And I totally agree that you should do anything that you think may help kids learn how to process thru and handle their emotions in a socially acceptable manner.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Give us an example of when this wouldn’t have happened if the roles were reversed.

You want me to give you an example of when this wouldnt have happened if the roles were reversed?
That is such a confusing request that I genuinely dont think I can.

- I still dont know the claimed reason for why 'the media' is protecting Howard.
- I still dont know who 'the media' is that is supposedly protecting Howard because plenty of media commentary that I have read and listened to has come disagreed with Howard's actions and called for him to not coach.

How can I give you an example of when this wouldnt have happened if the roles were reversed when I dont know what the roles are in the first place. They were two coaches...if you reverse the roles then they are...two coaches.
Are you saying if a coach who didnt play in the NBA tried to attack a coach that had played in the NBA, the result would have been different? Are you saying that if a 7 year coach had slapped a 3 year coach, the result would have been different?

What the 17 roles need to be reversed?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yea, let's eliminate the part where we try to endorse sportsmanship. Makes a lot of sense. ******

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So exactly what is your stance in this thread.

Howard was justified?
The handshaking caused it?

Where do you stand on the actual issue of a grown man who is a “coach” of young men, slapping another grown man in the face. Justified? It’s ok? He should be fired? He should be suspended and on probation?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Meanwhile, there’s been no good argument for why the handshake should be removed from college BASKETBALL.

Well if you are playing one of those teams from a country that doesn't use toilet paper might be a good argument or maybe just shake hands with the left hand.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So exactly what is your stance in this thread.

Howard was justified?
The handshaking caused it?

Where do you stand on the actual issue of a grown man who is a “coach” of young men, slapping another grown man in the face. Justified? It’s ok? He should be fired? He should be suspended and on probation?

I think Howard needs to control his temper and that 2 times of this type of outburst is trending towards a pattern. If I were the Michigan AD, I would try to suspend him for the rest of the season- regular and post. I would also, behind closed doors, push for the Wisconsin AD to make sure Gard understands why he shouldnt try to stop people from moving when they dont want to stop.

Also, I eagerly await your explanation of what reversed roles exist in this situation when it is two B10 coaches we are talking about.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You should have stopped here. This was good.

“ I think Howard needs to control his temper and that 2 times of this type of outburst is trending towards a pattern. If I were the Michigan AD, I would try to suspend him for the rest of the season- regular and post.”

If I’m the Wisconsin AD and you called me, I’d listen and then not respond to you suggestion.

How it would be different?

If Gard did what Howard did after Howard “put his hands on him to explain”, the media would be way more focused on Gard being fired. Don’t want to admit it? Fine but you are wrong. Fact.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You should have stopped here. This was good.

“ I think Howard needs to control his temper and that 2 times of this type of outburst is trending towards a pattern. If I were the Michigan AD, I would try to suspend him for the rest of the season- regular and post.”

If I’m the Wisconsin AD and you called me, I’d listen and then not respond to you suggestion.

How it would be different?

If Gard did what Howard did after Howard “put his hands on him to explain”, the media would be way more focused on Gard being fired. Don’t want to admit it? Fine but you are wrong. Fact.

I shouldnt have stopped there. You asked what I think and I think all the thoughts I posted. I am not wrong in saying how I might handle it, even if it disagrees with you.

I have no idea if 'the media' would push for Gard to be fired if rolls were reversed. There is no way to show that would be the case. Maybe it would have happened. I dont think you understand what a fact is, and that is a big part of confusion here.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Um bc he is black and they are woke.

Well at least you finally said it. It took many posts, but here we are. Thanks for finally saying it.

'The media' doesnt have a singular view on this topic. As a result, I have no idea what would have happened if the roles were reversed. I have read and heard many comments that say he should be fired and many that say he should just be suspended. Do you think there is a singular view by 'the media' on this? If you do think that, then you havent read or listened to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login