House Bill 1020 creating new courts in Jackson CCID.......

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Either that or incorporate as a new city

That area can absolutely secede from the city of Jackson. Probably will soon.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Oh, I already knew I shouldn't even engage you on your vague "show me" request. Because I'm not wasting my time researching crime statistics. However, we all know that the courts in Jackson and Hinds County have plagued the police and the public for years. And sure, it happens in other places. But we're talking about Jackson here. So, how about this. YOU prove to me that it happens at this level "everywhere". I'll be waiting.

That said, my easily and readily available links, from an incredibly easy google search that you could have done had you really wanted, really kinda did drive the point home. But we all knew you wouldn't acknowledge that. I mean it's a known problem, no sense arguing over it. Why do you think they are introducing this bill to begin with, because we have a good situation??? Oh, I know, they did it JUST to stick it to the people of Jackson. GTFO of here with that nonsensical garbage.
Same Ole goat. Can't provide evidence for something "well documented", then instead of admitting his error he attacks.

The problem here is the only evidence you have is people who agree with you agreeing with you. That's it. And you mistook that for proof.

Again, the jails are full. Your own links say so. That's the only evidence I need. If the jails are full, how is the problem criminals being released? What else can be done when the jails are full and a new inmate comes along? So, again, how does a new district address the actual problem? Why not build more jails? Why would the cops/DAs/judges puller from existing areas for this new district not just keep doing what they are doing now, pleaing out everything they can, chasing drug arrests, ignoring petty crimes? Sounds like it's just more pandering to conservative idiots.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That cannot be allowed to continue. It MUST be saved. I don't see how you don't understand this. The only reason any of us are living in our nice crime-free suburbs is because Jackson was here first.

Either that or move the capitol, which isn't happening so stop dreaming about it.
This won't save anything, it will make a small portion of the Capitol City a little safer. The majority of Jxn will continue under mob rule, a few hipsters and politicians (who were already in the safest areas of Jxn) will be a little safer. Do you want the state taking over the whole city? That's what it would take.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ok, show me. Show me how it's happening more in Jackson than everywhere else, because I see plenty of drug runners getting let loose over and over down here on the Coast, and other crimes not even being pursued.
It happens elsewhere but mostly in places that are less important to the state as a whole.

Also, to the extent any areas on the Coast are as unsafe as the bad parts of Jackson (I question whether that's true), at least from Waveland through Ocean Springs, none of the nice areas have to deal with crime the way Fondren and Belhaven do, and probably not even the way eastover has to.

I don't know if that's true or not for Gautier, Moss Point, and Pascagoula, but to the extent it's not, then that is a big problem. Pascagoula at least has important infrastructure and industry and the State does need it to be liveable.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This won't save anything, it will make a small portion of the Capitol City a little safer. The majority of Jxn will continue under mob rule, a few hipsters and politicians (who were already in the safest areas of Jxn) will be a little safer. Do you want the state taking over the whole city? That's what it would take.
It's not about making it a little safer. It's about making it where people don't feel like they're making a big sacrifice in quality of life to live in Jackson. Even petty crime sucks to deal with. You start having the nice parts of Jackson be like the nice parts of other parts of the state, and then ideally you get a school voucher program (which I think is probably coming; other states have made huge progress and I think it would be a big political winner in Mississippi also), and suddenly Jackson will be more appealing than Madison for a lot of people that work in Jackson.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same Ole goat. Can't provide evidence for something "well documented", then instead of admitting his error he attacks.
That's your cop out, not mine. Show me where this happens "everywhere".

And yeah, I'd say the jails are too small. Hopefully the continued decriminalization of weed to help that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is exactly what I want. Save a small portion of the city, and make it safe/cool/viable, etc. I have no delusion about saving all of Jackson. That can't happen.

What I propose, CAN happen.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It happens elsewhere but mostly in places that are less important to the state as a whole.

Also, to the extent any areas on the Coast are as unsafe as the bad parts of Jackson (I question whether that's true), at least from Waveland through Ocean Springs, none of the nice areas have to deal with crime the way Fondren and Belhaven do, and probably not even the way eastover has to.

I don't know if that's true or not for Gautier, Moss Point, and Pascagoula, but to the extent it's not, then that is a big problem. Pascagoula at least has important infrastructure and industry and the State does need it to be liveable.
It's not true. It's a laughable notion. Boom Boom knows that too.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Moss Point and to a lesser extent Pascagoula or more like Meridian than the rest of the Coast. Crime is a big problem in poor areas.

Again, the problem appears to be bad incentives. That Jackson bears the brunt of the effect doesn't change the cause. And how does a new judicial district solve that problem?

We can agree Jackson judges are putting criminals away faster than the jails can hold them, right? Is there a problem with who they are putting away and who they are not? If so, I would expect it to do with drug crimes.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Moss Point and to a lesser extent Pascagoula or more like Meridian than the rest of the Coast.
These areas aren't totally lawless and overrun with woke idiots like Jackson.

We can agree Jackson judges are putting criminals away faster than the jails can hold them, right?
Dude, no. Literally nobody agrees with you. The jail's capacity is not a part of what we're discussing.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
How so? What did the city of Jackson ask for that got shot down, provided they were willing to have oversight.
It's been happening for along time. Jackson wanting an extra sales tax to fund things, for one example though I think that finally happened at some point after long blocks from the state. I'll try to look for examples if I have time.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm not just referring to this bill and increased funding, I'm also referring to the expansion a couple of years ago that greatly expanded the boundaries to cover Belhaven, Fondren and other areas. This should not be called Capitol Complex Improvement District, as its boundaries go far beyond the immediate Capitol Complex, it mostly covers residential areas.

The state should not be in the business of running cites, this just goes to prove that most politicians of all stripes are "big government."
All cities are subsets of the state and are created/run under the authority and with the regulation of the state. The state can change anything in statute about cities whenever it cares to as long as it's constitutional. Without the state there are no cities. Of course, whether this is a good idea is completely debatable for me. I'm not sure. The articles seem to throw a lot of words around without much evidence to back up claims on either side.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That's your cop out, not mine. Show me where this happens "everywhere".

And yeah, I'd say the jails are too small. Hopefully the continued decriminalization of weed to help that.
No, your cop out is that this was well documented.....but you can't provide any of that documentation. Your words bud. But go on, keep digging that hole, it's really helping your argument.**

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
These areas aren't totally lawless and overrun with woke idiots like Jackson.

Dude, no. Literally nobody agrees with you. The jail's capacity is not a part of what we're discussing.
Parts of MP sure as hell are just as bad as anywhere in Jackson. Same for many large towns in MS. Those areas just aren't nearly as large as they are in Jackson. I got lost in Greenville once and it was worse than anywhere I'd ever been in Jackson, thought I was gonna die until I finally figured out my way back over the river. Ditto for Birmingham, with interstate access subbed for the river.

ETA: and what does woke have to do with it? Is Hunters laptop part of the cause too, Q nut?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Do you seriously not realize that that stuff happens everywhere? Did you actually think those links proved anything?
Maybe Jackson just does it better !

• Haha
Reactions: WilCoDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, your cop out is that this was well documented.....but you can't provide any of that documentation. Your words bud. But go on, keep digging that hole, it's really helping your argument.**
Where's my proof that it's happening elsewhere?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Moss Point and to a lesser extent Pascagoula or more like Meridian than the rest of the Coast. Crime is a big problem in poor areas.
Crime is bad in most poor areas. What makes Jackson different is that you can't get away from the crime. I've had friends in Fondren and Belhaven say as long as they don't leave anything visible in their car or outside, they're fine. That's what is called a ****** neighborhood in most places.

And if Moss Point is as bad or worse than jackson, which I can completely believe, that's not good, but it doesn't impact the rest of the state the way Jackson does. Meridian is the same, although I guess with it being surrounded by a pretty decent geographic area with nothing, it's maybe a bigger concern than Moss Point, which has good municipalities within easy commuting distance. Pascagoula seems like a big deal to the state with the port and engels, but I think it's a much bigger haul to justify trying to carve out areas to protect.

Again, the problem appears to be bad incentives. That Jackson bears the brunt of the effect doesn't change the cause. And how does a new judicial district solve that problem?

The new judicial district solves the problem of bad incentives. Yes, lots of crime is poorly thought out and opportunistic, and it's going to occur regardless. But lots of crime is not, and if they know they get a serious sentence in Madison or the capital district and potentially not even get bail, or will be let out in the rest of Hinds county and not even have a trial for over a year, that's pretty big differences in incentives.

We can agree Jackson judges are putting criminals away faster than the jails can hold them, right? Is there a problem with who they are putting away and who they are not? If so, I would expect it to do with drug crimes.
Not sure on that. I don't think counties are responsible for paying for convicted felons. I think that falls on DOC. I think the counties have to pay for preconviction residents in County correctional facilities. And I think Hinds county judges make it harder on themselves because they had some judges not carrying a fair workload. But DOC also has residents at county correctional facilities, so I'm not sure who is responsible for that or who has the responsibility for managing overcrowding. And I wouldn't bet money on that regardless. You have judicial districts that cover multiple counties, so also not sure how that is handled with county sheriffs and correctional facilities.

That said, violent criminals need to be in jail. If we don't have enough room for violent criminals, we need to build more jails. I suspect we could probably do better by doing more house arrest (paid for by inmates add their families) for non-violent criminals, earlier release for some crimes, drug courts, and just generally better prison options for prisoners that seem likely candidates for reform, but if we need to build more prisons, then we need to build more prisons. And if we need to make tradeoffs until we build more prisons, we need to make that tradeoff tilt towards releasing people to house arrest at the end of their sentences, not giving them short sentences to begin with.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Crime is bad in most poor areas. What makes Jackson different is that you can't get away from the crime. I've had friends in Fondren and Belhaven say as long as they don't leave anything visible in their car or outside, they're fine. That's what is called a ****** neighborhood in most places.

And if Moss Point is as bad or worse than jackson, which I can completely believe, that's not good, but it doesn't impact the rest of the state the way Jackson does. Meridian is the same, although I guess with it being surrounded by a pretty decent geographic area with nothing, it's maybe a bigger concern than Moss Point, which has good municipalities within easy commuting distance. Pascagoula seems like a big deal to the state with the port and engels, but I think it's a much bigger haul to justify trying to carve out areas to protect.

The new judicial district solves the problem of bad incentives. Yes, lots of crime is poorly thought out and opportunistic, and it's going to occur regardless. But lots of crime is not, and if they know they get a serious sentence in Madison or the capital district and potentially not even get bail, or will be let out in the rest of Hinds county and not even have a trial for over a year, that's pretty big differences in incentives.

Not sure on that. I don't think counties are responsible for paying for convicted felons. I think that falls on DOC. I think the counties have to pay for preconviction residents in County correctional facilities. And I think Hinds county judges make it harder on themselves because they had some judges not carrying a fair workload. But DOC also has residents at county correctional facilities, so I'm not sure who is responsible for that or who has the responsibility for managing overcrowding. And I wouldn't bet money on that regardless. You have judicial districts that cover multiple counties, so also not sure how that is handled with county sheriffs and correctional facilities.

That said, violent criminals need to be in jail. If we don't have enough room for violent criminals, we need to build more jails. I suspect we could probably do better by doing more house arrest (paid for by inmates add their families) for non-violent criminals, earlier release for some crimes, drug courts, and just generally better prison options for prisoners that seem likely candidates for reform, but if we need to build more prisons, then we need to build more prisons. And if we need to make tradeoffs until we build more prisons, we need to make that tradeoff tilt towards releasing people to house arrest at the end of their sentences, not giving them short sentences to begin with.
Agree with a lot of that, but i don't see how a new judicial district creates new incentives. I guess you are just saying they'll bring in judges that will give different sentences (without addressing where to put them), but how much affect does this have when DAs plead out 97% of cases, and when cops don't even pursue most crimes?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Where's my proof that it's happening elsewhere?
You're seriously going to contend that nowhere else has a handful of anecdotes of repeat criminals on the streets? Seriously? You need proof of that?

ETA: besides, I didn't say it was well documented. It's my belief based on experience (including personal experience of POS that keep getting released). Without having claimed it was well documented, I have no burden to show the documentation. Maybe it exists, maybe it's hard to find, doesn't matter because I made no such claim. You are the one who claimed it was well documented, and can't handle being wrong about that. No wonder you never learn.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What are you even talking about? Boom Boom said this isn't true. ********

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What are you even talking about? Boom Boom said this isn't true. ********
The problem here is it's easy to give tough sentences in areas without much crime, and difficult as hell in places with a lot of crime. Because the resources needed to secure and pay for those sentences scales up with the crime. A new district doesn't address that. It's just pandering.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's been happening for along time. Jackson wanting an extra sales tax to fund things, for one example though I think that finally happened at some point after long blocks from the state. I'll try to look for examples if I have time.
Well, they also blocked that for Hattiesburg, at least for a while. Haven't given much thought to whether protection against higher taxes or subsidiarity is a better policy, so not sure if that was good or bad, but it doesn't seem like it was Jackson specific.

ETA: I think the hattiesburg one was killed in committee possibly by a delegate whose district included areas outside of Hattiesburg. Not sure about Jacksons. They may have both been a reflection of who was on committee or it may have been an attitude by the legislature in general. I think those local sales tax increases may come through private and local, and at one time I think the committee chair said they wouldn't move any tax increases unless they had unanimous consent from the local delegation? Take all that with a grain of salt (the local and private chair may have said they wouldn't move anything at all without unanimous consent? and it may be that the sales tax issues don't even go before local and private). All that to say the tax increases may be more or less decided by local delegations and/or committee membership makeup rather than reflect any general attitude of the legislature.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So anyways, plowing on.....

I'm assuming this has NOT been done anywhere else, or at least nobody here knows if it has.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1) It's going to be hard for Jackson to function without some tax base, and the State needs Jackson to somewhat function.

The state needs certain entities with state-run interests to function. The Capitol, UMC, JSU, a few tangential groups like the license department, etc. That’s about it. Taking drastic legislative measures to protect residents that are probably 90% private sector employees that don’t work in those offices is major overkill. And if protecting the tax base is important, then it should extend to all residential areas within the city limits.

2) It makes it unnecessarily costly to operate state government if everybody that wants a safe place to live has to commute 30 to 45 minutes to get to downtown.

Disagree. Its no more or less costly for the state as a whole. The added costs are being assumed by individuals who voluntarily choose to make that commute and work for the government. They are free and clear to move to Jackson if they wish. This is an issue overall, but its not the state’s issue.

3) We need at least one city to attract new residents. Jackson is small, but if you could snap your fingers and make it safe, it would still be considered an option by a lot of young professionals that wouldn't consider the Memphis suburbs, Tupelo, Hattiesburg, and the Coast. All of those places have their merits, but we need population and would like to attract a lot of the people that want to live in a city.

That ship sailed over 30 years ago. That’s all there is to it. That “snapping of the fingers” is not happening, and this bill isn’t going to come anywhere close to making it happen.

My opinion is that the bill as a whole would stand a much higher chance of withstanding federal court scrutiny if it didn’t extend the jurisdictions into residential areas. Beyond that, I don’t have a strong opinion on if its a good idea or not. But its not going to save the city or any part of it. It may stop some of the bleeding and graft, but that’s about it.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Well, they also blocked that for Hattiesburg, at least for a while. Haven't given much thought to whether protection against higher taxes or subsidiarity is a better policy, so not sure if that was good or bad, but it doesn't seem like it was Jackson specific.

ETA: I think the hattiesburg one was killed in committee possibly by a delegate whose district included areas outside of Hattiesburg. Not sure about Jacksons. They may have both been a reflection of who was on committee or it may have been an attitude by the legislature in general. I think those local sales tax increases may come through private and local, and at one time I think the committee chair said they wouldn't move any tax increases unless they had unanimous consent from the local delegation? Take all that with a grain of salt (the local and private chair may have said they wouldn't move anything at all without unanimous consent? and it may be that the sales tax issues don't even go before local and private). All that to say the tax increases may be more or less decided by local delegations and/or committee membership makeup rather than reflect any general attitude of the legislature.
You are correct: local and private bills wil die in committee if the local delegation does not unanimously support them. That has killed a lot of bills for east MS in my adult lifetime because we lacked that unanimous voice.

Reactions: johnson86-1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My opinion is that the bill as a whole would stand a much higher chance of withstanding federal court scrutiny if it didn’t extend the jurisdictions into residential areas. Beyond that, I don’t have a strong opinion on if it’s a good idea or not. But it’s not going to save the city or any part of it. It may stop some of the bleeding and graft, but that’s about it.
You definitely ain’t wrong about this

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Man you seem mad.

The water is a Jackson issue. The people of Jackson should be thankful they are getting the funding and less concerned with who distributes the money given to them.

Jackson is unlike any other city in Mississippi. You can't treat Jackson like you treat Carthage, or Aberdeen, or even Meridian. It is not uncommon in other areas for large cities to get funding for improvement projects from the legislature. Jackson bills don't generally don't make it out of committee.

When something somehow slipped through the legislature last year for Lefleurs Bluff funding, the governor vetoed it. The governor of course trash talks Jackson because the yokels love it, while sending his kids to the same Jackson school within the CCID.
So you can’t answer his question about how Jackson was neglected and other cities weren’t?

man why does this always happen to democrat ran cities? Seems like a theme.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

The problem here is the only evidence you have is people who agree with you agreeing with you. That's it. And you mistook that for proof.

Again, the jails are full. Your own links say so. That's the only evidence I need. If the jails are full, how is the problem criminals being released? What else can be done when the jails are full and a new inmate comes along? So, again, how does a new district address the actual problem? Why not build more jails? Why would the cops/DAs/judges puller from existing areas for this new district not just keep doing what they are doing now, pleaing out everything they can, chasing drug arrests, ignoring petty crimes? Sounds like it's just more pandering to conservative idiots.
You want to know the truth of the problem from someone who has worked in the Hinds county criminal Justice system as an attorney? Me.
Here it is. The judges are incompetent. All of them. Tomie Green, Kidd, and Wooten all should have been disbarred and removed from office by judicial performance. Wooten is by far the worst. She is mentally unstable and hated by everyone (both sides of attys and law enforcement). She has tricked her constituents through race baiting. Everyone in the legislature (both sides) despises her. Peterson is by far the best judge, but she is in bed with law enforcement because her dad was a cop. The district attorney’s office was an absolute crooked joke under RSS. It’s better under J Owens, but not much. The jail…previous sheriffs should be in prison. I’ve probably visited 50 plus jails/prisons in my career. It’s the worst, and nothing compares. Same for the sheriffs and police department. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen in the U.S., and nothing compares.

But even, having said all of that, the single biggest problem is the State crime lab. People don’t go to trial for 5+ years on serious, maybe or maybe not complicated crimes because the lab cannot examine the evidence in a timely manner. Completely overwhelmed and no funding. That particular issue is the State’s fault. That’s white leader’s fault.

To be clear though, none of this has anything to do with the color of anyone’s skin. The citizens of Hinds and Jackson have elected idiots, it’s that simple. You go to the MS delta and the criminal Justice system is light years better. Light years. Those are majority black districts.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The state needs certain entities with state-run interests to function. The Capitol, UMC, JSU, a few tangential groups like the license department, etc. That’s about it. Taking drastic legislative measures to protect residents that are probably 90% private sector employees that don’t work in those offices is major overkill. And if protecting the tax base is important, then it should extend to all residential areas within the city limits.

It's the residential areas that actually provide more taxes than they consume in services that they have to protect.

Disagree. Its no more or less costly for the state as a whole. The added costs are being assumed by individuals who voluntarily choose to make that commute and work for the government. They are free and clear to move to Jackson if they wish. This is an issue overall, but its not the state’s issue.
While I get the appeal of assuming everybody that works in government is a moron, those workers can generally add and subtract, so they don't just take a lower quality of life for nothing. It costs the state both in needing to pay more and probably more importantly, in missing out on candidates that would otherwise consider those jobs.

That ship sailed over 30 years ago. That’s all there is to it. That “snapping of the fingers” is not happening, and this bill isn’t going to come anywhere close to making it happen.

My opinion is that the bill as a whole would stand a much higher chance of withstanding federal court scrutiny if it didn’t extend the jurisdictions into residential areas. Beyond that, I don’t have a strong opinion on if its a good idea or not. But its not going to save the city or any part of it. It may stop some of the bleeding and graft, but that’s about it.
It will go a long way. Again, a lot of crime is about proximity, but criminals do know to stay out of Madison County. This won't turn that area into Madison County, but if they start handing out stiff sentences and prosecute cases quickly, it will move the needle.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012

Purely anecdotal here, but I have a buddy who worked as a cop in Jackson 15-16 years ago. His biggest complaint was that they'd arrest someone for violent crime or drugs and they'd be out on the street with penny ante sentences within 3 months because the judges were exceedingly soft on crime.

His exact quote - "We can't really do our jobs because we get no support from the judges. It's pointless - these guys will be back on the streets within a year no matter what they do."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login