House Bill 1020 creating new courts in Jackson CCID.......

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Purely anecdotal here, but I have a buddy who worked as a cop in Jackson 15-16 years ago. His biggest complaint was that they'd arrest someone for violent crime or drugs and they'd be out on the street with penny ante sentences within 3 months because the judges were exceedingly soft on crime.

His exact quote - "We can't really do our jobs because we get no support from the judges. It's pointless - these guys will be back on the streets within a year no matter what they do."
That's not the judges. Takes way longer than 3 months to go to trial, and serious drug crimes carry mandatory sentences. That could only be the DAs pleaing down the charges.

Most places, if a druggie gets caught they immediately tell him if he gives them someone else they'll lower or drop the charges. Seeks like it's just a rotating phenomenon now, with the same people getting narced on, busted, rat, released, repeat the cycle. That's what I see happening down on the Coast. And that's what I don't see a new district or new judges solving. You have to commit the resources to take way more cases to trial. If sentencing is the problem, then change the laws to mandate stiffer sentences. Anything else is pandering to Fox News watchers who think it's all black judges and George Soros. Which goes over quite well here in MS and on this board.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That's not the judges. Takes way longer than 3 months to go to trial, and serious drug crimes carry mandatory sentences. That could only be the DAs pleaing down the charges.

Most places, if a druggie gets caught they immediately tell him if he gives them someone else they'll lower or drop the charges. Seeks like it's just a rotating phenomenon now, with the same people getting narced on, busted, rat, released, repeat the cycle. That's what I see happening down on the Coast. And that's what I don't see a new district or new judges solving. You have to commit the resources to take way more cases to trial. If sentencing is the problem, then change the laws to mandate stiffer sentences. Anything else is pandering to Fox News watchers who think it's all black judges and George Soros. Which goes over quite well here in MS and on this board.
I watch Fox news rarely but from what I can see they are far less biased and closed minded than you.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's the residential areas that actually provide more taxes than they consume in services that they have to protect.

So you see no issue whatsoever with a blatant gerrymandering of the jurisdiction to protect only high income residential areas for something that is allegedly targeted at improving general public safety? Ok then.

While I get the appeal of assuming everybody that works in government is a moron, those workers can generally add and subtract, so they don't just take a lower quality of life for nothing. It costs the state both in needing to pay more and probably more importantly, in missing out on candidates that would otherwise consider those jobs.

I don’t really follow this logic. There’s not a single employer out there (public or private) that considers your commute or where you live within a given metro area when determining how much to pay you for an in-person office job within that area. And the increasing trend of remote work has made this even less important.

You are arguing about stuff way out on the margins here. And also I’m not sure if you’re aware, but a 30-45 minute commute is pretty common for metro area residents of all major cities, even those that are smaller and safer than Jackson. That’s just not really a problem at all in the grand scheme of things, as far as the state is concerned.

It will go a long way. Again, a lot of crime is about proximity, but criminals do know to stay out of Madison County. This won't turn that area into Madison County, but if they start handing out stiff sentences and prosecute cases quickly, it will move the needle.

It’s not going to go a long way (or any way) to achieving your stated goal to get the population of Jackson to actually start growing again. Those days are long gone. The best case for Jackson is that the annual (and inevitable) DECLINE in population of top earners and taxpayers becomes manageable enough and slow enough to where businesses can still remain open or at least have some stability to be able to plan relocation or contingencies for continued negative economic conditions, and also give city government a more reliable picture of the long term tax revenue planning. A course reversal is not possible. It’s not ever going to be a growing city again, and that fate was sealed long ago. But if it achieves the above, its still better than nothing, and I’d be all for it if I were a Jacksonian.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstateglfr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So you see no issue whatsoever with a blatant gerrymandering of the jurisdiction to protect only high income residential areas for something that is allegedly targeted at improving general public safety? Ok then.
If every residential area wanted to be safer, I would have a problem with it. And I would be all about letting any contiguous area vote to be a part of the district. But they generally aren't going to vote to be part of it. If they would, they would just elect better judges and city officials in the first place.

I don’t really follow this logic. There’s not a single employer out there (public or private) that considers your commute or where you live within a given metro area when determining how much to pay you for an in-person office job within that area. And the increasing trend of remote work has made this even less important.

There are two parties to any employment arrangement. The employer may not care about how far the employee drives, but I guarantee you the employee cares. Employers have to pay more to compensate for shittier parts of the job. Sometimes you can get lucky with somebody that actually likes something unpopular (like maybe a good engineer that likes working in BFE at whatever manufacturing plant). But on the whole, you have to pay more or accept worse employees if the job comes with negatives like living in an undesirable place or having to have a big commute to live somewhere decent.

You are arguing about stuff way out on the margins here. And also I’m not sure if you’re aware, but a 30-45 minute commute is pretty common for metro area residents of all major cities, even those that are smaller and safer than Jackson. That’s just not really a problem at all in the grand scheme of things, as far as the state is concerned.

A 30-45 commute is pretty common, but most of those places involve nicer suburbs, or cities, or usually, both. The commute is generally longer because the city is desirable and expensive, not because the city is ****** and you have to drive that far to get away from it.

It’s not going to go a long way (or any way) to achieving your stated goal to get the population of Jackson to actually start growing again. Those days are long gone. The best case for Jackson is that the annual (and inevitable) DECLINE in population of top earners and taxpayers becomes manageable enough and slow enough to where businesses can still remain open or at least have some stability to be able to plan relocation or contingencies for continued negative economic conditions, and also give city government a more reliable picture of the long term tax revenue planning. A course reversal is not possible. It’s not ever going to be a growing city again, and that fate was sealed long ago. But if it achieves the above, its still better than nothing, and I’d be all for it if I were a Jacksonian.
My stated goal is to make it viable. It'd be great if it grows, but it would be a big deal just to give more people the ability to live and work in Jackson without it being a major sacrifice. Make Jackson a little bit safer and convince them it won't be a risky investment, and you'll see people give up their commute for a home closer to work. Make it safer and put some sort of voucher/school choice program in place to take the sting out of paying for private school, and there are tons of families that would by happy to gain an hour a day by shortening their commute.

And you'll also pick up some people that have Mississippi ties but want to live in some sort of city, even if it's small.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

You can have judges or DAs cause problems by themselves. If judges are lazy and don't move their docket, DAs have to plea cases out. The more cases they have to plea out, the more defendants can hold out for better pleas. Also, if judges are notoriously lenient (or harsh), defense attorneys know. It forces DAs to offer better deals to get pleas (or lets them offer less if the judge has a reputation for being strict).

DAs that aren't serious about crime can plea out and it's pretty hard for judge to stop them.

Usually it's some of both, if they're both elected.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You just contradicted yourself. All employers are concerned about retaining talent, and commuting plays into that. Outside of the COVID quarantine in March/April 2020, the reason so many went to more remote work is so employers could retain talent. A big reason behind that is that employees know that commuting to an office is stupid in many job situations.

All that to say - commutes have a HUGE impact on employers. The ones who ignore it will suffer for doing so.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You can have judges or DAs cause problems by themselves. If judges are lazy and don't move their docket, DAs have to plea cases out. The more cases they have to plea out, the more defendants can hold out for better pleas. Also, if judges are notoriously lenient (or harsh), defense attorneys know. It forces DAs to offer better deals to get pleas (or lets them offer less if the judge has a reputation for being strict).

DAs that aren't serious about crime can plea out and it's pretty hard for judge to stop them.

Usually it's some of both, if they're both elected.
Mostley true, but irrelevant here. DAs plea out something like 97% of all cases. Plus, when the DAs are trying as many cases as they have the resources for (which they all are), then how fast or slow the trials go is irrelevant. They try the same number of cases fast or slow. Now, if the judges are having tons of motion hearings and cancelled hearings, that does affect things, as that's wasted time for the prosecutor. Also, mandatory sentences for most drug crimes, and most crimes with gins, right?

You're convincing me that this goes back to Jackson having no money due to white flight (and probably the standard amount of grift or more), so they skimped on resources for trying cases, with increased crime as a result. Now the state wants to pretend to address the problem but doesn't want to spend real money on it.....so pandering.

Geez, all this blather and we really haven't addressed the real issues. Jackson is a hub for drug crime due to its location. It faces the same poverty problems of all old American cities. And.....that's pretty much it. Anything else is a pretty marginal cause. The only way other cities have ever "solved" this problem is to demarcate safe areas that they stringently protect, while letting the rest rot. A triage solution if you will. Not that that's my preferred solution, but it seems the most realistic one. "Tough judges" solving it is just typical conservative brain rot pandering.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You just contradicted yourself. All employers are concerned about retaining talent, and commuting plays into that. Outside of the COVID quarantine in March/April 2020, the reason so many went to more remote work is so employers could retain talent. A big reason behind that is that employees know that commuting to an office is stupid in many job situations.

All that to say - commutes have a HUGE impact on employers. The ones who ignore it will suffer for doing so.
You're both right and talking past each other. I've never seen an employer that directly gives a crap about a commute, in that no one ever counters an offer by saying their commute will be long, and the employee gives them more pay than they already were willing to. On the other hand, the commute definitely is a factor for the employee, and it affects which jobs they will take at the offered pay. So a long commute for most employees will absolutely indirectly drive up pay.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Where is the contradiction? First off, any state funded job isn’t going to have a whole lot of leeway for negotiating salary anyway. Secondly, there’s a ton of assumptions that somehow Jackson, a city of 150,000 people, doesn’t by itself have enough qualified applicants for a small handful of mindless state-funded government jobs. Even if there was the potential for major wage inflation from government jobs for commuters, those residents would serve as a check on that.

There is just simply no way that the commutes of government employees in the suburbs was considered at all in the crafting of this bill. They want people to move back to the desirable areas of Jackson whether they are state employees, retired, or private sector employees.

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In before the .....
Security Lock GIF by GiveGab

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The correct choice here is to move the capitol to Madison and build a fence around Jackson and watch it shrink to nothing but one large pot hole with a sewer leak

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If every residential area wanted to be safer, I would have a problem with it. And I would be all about letting any contiguous area vote to be a part of the district. But they generally aren't going to vote to be part of it. If they would, they would just elect better judges and city officials in the first place.

Do you truly believe that every residential area doesn’t want to be safer? I think that’s your first mistake - assuming that somehow today’s Jackson residents are worse people than those of 30 years ago or today’s Jackson elected officials are more moronic than the morons of 30 years ago. They aren’t. It’s been a clown show for a very long time - at least since the mid-80’s. These problems didn’t appear overnight. Many current citizens who are now of voting age were born into it without any choice whatsoever.

And regardless of the high crime rate and the mismanagement and the corruption, there’s no evidence that at least 80-90% of Jackson citizens - regardless of race or political affiliation or income status - aren’t still good people with no criminal record who are doing the best they know how.

But, if your opinion really is that 90% of the people of a city of 150,000 is actively and intentionally working against its best interest and don’t care at all about being saved, and that is your truth, then nothing you say afterward about reforming that city really matters. Because it won’t work. There’s no magic bullet to fix Jackson that could ever co-exist with that truth.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Do you truly believe that every residential area doesn’t want to be safer? I think that’s your first mistake - assuming that somehow today’s Jackson residents are worse people than those of 30 years ago or today’s Jackson elected officials are more moronic than the morons of 30 years ago. They aren’t. It’s been a clown show for a very long time - at least since the mid-80’s. These problems didn’t appear overnight. Many current citizens who are now of voting age were born into it without any choice whatsoever.

And regardless of the high crime rate and the mismanagement and the corruption, there’s no evidence that at least 80-90% of Jackson citizens - regardless of race or political affiliation or income status - aren’t still good people with no criminal record who are doing the best they know how.

But, if your opinion really is that 90% of the people of a city of 150,000 is actively and intentionally working against its best interest and don’t care at all about being saved, and that is your truth, then nothing you say afterward about reforming that city really matters. Because it won’t work. There’s no magic bullet to fix Jackson that could ever co-exist with that truth.
Holy shite. Use some 17ing context. I’m sure they’d like to be safer all things else being equal, but they prioritize other things more. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that. People have different risk appetites and different values. Unless you are claiming some massive voter fraud conspiracy, the judges, mayor, city council, etc were actually chosen by voters. If they prioritized enforcement and stiffer sentencing, they wouldn’t have elected them.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Have you seen who they elect? That's a community's opportunity to fix things and they keep voting for the same criminals every year. So no, they don't want things to be better. Hell, many could move if they wanted to be safe. They don't do it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Holy shite. Use some 17ing context. I’m sure they’d like to be safer all things else being equal, but they prioritize other things more. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that. People have different risk appetites and different values. Unless you are claiming some massive voter fraud conspiracy, the judges, mayor, city council, etc were actually chosen by voters. If they prioritized enforcement and stiffer sentencing, they wouldn’t have elected them.

Or maybe its not nearly as simple as just “vote for less crime and stuff”. Many perhaps came to realize that crime can’t be voted out, and either quit trying or reprioritized their voting to different issues, as you said.

The #1 crime deterrent there is would be a thriving economy. Anything else is treatment of symptoms and mitigation as opposed to prevention. And its usually pretty hard to tell for most people how to pick between 2 or 3 local candidates and figuring out who is lying to them the least about how to fix that, especially in a city like Jackson where prospects of fixing any of the major economic issues is slim to none, and all the candidates for elected positions are simply taking the “chaos is a ladder” approach. Still doesn’t mean that those people who were dealt a losing hand from the get go should be disproportionately shunned by statewide legislation that was crafted by folks with little to no skin in the game.

And one more thing, if you don’t think the affluent old hipster crowd in Belhaven / Fondren - the main property owner beneficiaries of this - aren’t voting the same way as many of their less affluent counterparts in West Jackson…..think again.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I actually think its been mostly civilized debate regarding a pretty unprecedented situation. Has anyone really taken it off the rails?
Nope. We just have a few wiseasses who try and be internet cool with the lock stuff. His next crack will be the Starkville Target for some reason. He don’t realize I shop at Walmart.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Jackson is a miserable crime ridden ******** that is the way it is because the citizens vote in the same incompetent criminals that make themselves wealthy while delivering nothing to the citizens. That being the case, I'm against the state trying to step in. Will it step in again if it doesn't like what's happening in Greenville? Starkville? Meridian? The best government is less government and it should stop using taxpayer dollars to fix issues that the citizens themselves vote to stay the same. In the end, you can't save someone from themselves. You let them meet their fate.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Jackson is a miserable crime ridden ******** that is the way it is because the citizens vote in the same incompetent criminals that make themselves wealthy while delivering nothing to the citizens. That being the case, I'm against the state trying to step in. Will it step in again if it doesn't like what's happening in Greenville? Starkville? Meridian? The best government is less government and it should stop using taxpayer dollars to fix issues that the citizens themselves vote to stay the same. In the end, you can't save someone from themselves. You let them meet their fate.
I would be totally good with this if we could confine Jackson's rot/crime to Jackson. The problem is when it overflows into the adjacent communities. As far as Jackson itself I believe it's a lost cause.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
As far as Jackson itself I believe it's a lost cause.

The only thing, and I do mean the only thing, that could ever save Jackson is if the state forced the entire metro area into a sort of model like San Antonio. For those not familiar, San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US with over 1.5 million people, but only the 24th largest MSA - because there are practically no suburbs. Every community that popped up on the outskirts was annexed into San Antonio, and that kept the property tax and sales tax revenue in the city. But everyone knows what the chances are of the legislature forcing some combination of Brandon, Pearl, Flowood, Ridgeland, Madison, and Clinton back into Jackson’s control.

But there’s really no other way to break the death spiral of upper and middle class property and sales tax revenue leaving the city, which forces those same taxes to be higher which forces even more people to leave. The answer isn’t getting people to move to Jackson from other more remote parts of the state or out of state. Those people are just going to crowd into the suburbs like everyone else. You have to bring back the tax revenue from the people that are already in the area.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

We’ve already discussed this. The state isn’t saving Jackson, it’s saving a piece of Jackson to protect its own interest.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But everyone knows what the chances are of the legislature forcing Brandon, Pearl, Flowood, Ridgeland, Madison, and Clinton back into Jackson’s control.
People of Jackson wouldn’t like that either. They would lose the power to elect idiots like Chockwe Jr.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
People of Jackson wouldn’t like that either. They would lose the power to elect idiots like Chockwe Jr.

They’d still have the power to elect those same idiots. Never think we’ll lose that ability in this country. But said idiots would have to actually come up with meaningful, common sense reforms that apply to a broad electorate - or else they wouldn’t even make it out of the primaries.

Aug 18, 2009

It is a combination of the DA’s office and the Judges. The Judges set bail at amounts that allow repeat violent offenders back onto the street, if they set bail at all, where they are then apparently not supervised at all. Go read the rap sheets of the people they are charging with murders in the last couple of years. You’ll see a long list of charges that remain pending, meanwhile, while awaiting trial on those charges these people are free to roam the streets and continue terrorizing the community.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

“The government you elect is the government you deserve.”​

― Thomas Jefferson

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Voter apathy is a much bigger problem in Jackson than that of people who vote. In the 2021 mayoral election, less than 20k votes were cast.

If you take the current population of Jackson (150k) and reduce that amount by 25% for those not old enough to vote and those unable to vote (nursing homes, assisted living etc.) you get around 113k potential voters. Based on the votes cast in 21, only 17% of the potential voters cast a vote. Lumumba only received a little over 13k votes to win.

Until people get energized enough to get off their butts and vote for competent leadership, nothing will change.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Or maybe its not nearly as simple as just “vote for less crime and stuff”. Many perhaps came to realize that crime can’t be voted out, and either quit trying or reprioritized their voting to different issues, as you said.
It kind of is though. You can't eliminate crime with tougher sentencing, but if you look at the portion of violent crime committed by people that are repeat offenders, it's a big chunk. It'd be really interesting to see how many of those criminals would have still been in jail if Hinds county just looked like Madison with respect to bail and sentencing. Voters in Jackson largely don't want to look like Madison on those issues. If they did, it'd be pretty easy for people to campaign on that. I suspect that'd make a candidate unelectable, but that's just a guess; I'd be interested to hear from somebody that pays attention to democratic primaries in Jackson and Hinds county as far as how many candidate campaign on being tough on crime and how many of them are successful with that messaging. Frank Melton I think ran on that? How has it been since I wonder.

The #1 crime deterrent there is would be a thriving economy. Anything else is treatment of symptoms and mitigation as opposed to prevention.

Mitigation is a huge deal though when your violent crime rate is really high. Nobody is looking for Jackson to be Mayberry. Just to nudge it further away from the big city crime, large town amenities dynamic it has now.

And its usually pretty hard to tell for most people how to pick between 2 or 3 local candidates and figuring out who is lying to them the least about how to fix that, especially in a city like Jackson where prospects of fixing any of the major economic issues is slim to none, and all the candidates for elected positions are simply taking the “chaos is a ladder” approach. Still doesn’t mean that those people who were dealt a losing hand from the get go should be disproportionately shunned by statewide legislation that was crafted by folks with little to no skin in the game.

They're not being shunned. They aren't complaining that the CCID isn't big enough, they are complaining that they are going to have more police and likely stricter judges. THe ones that are being included have a legitimate complaint. Their "side" "won" and now instead of the law and order group within the city having to fight a basically impossible battle to divide the city, they are getting what they want from the legislature imposing its will.

And one more thing, if you don’t think the affluent old hipster crowd in Belhaven / Fondren - the main property owner beneficiaries of this - aren’t voting the same way as many of their less affluent counterparts in West Jackson…..think again.
There's definitely a contingent there, and as a matter of principle, any residential area should be able to opt out with a 51% vote. I'm sure they're not going to offer that as a practical matter, but they should. Be interesting to see how they would vote though. I think you'd see a large percentage happy to enjoy the benefits of more law enforcement and stricter sentencing while still feeling good about voting a certain way and other people largely bearing the consequences of those decisions. Hell, you'd probably see support for the worst politicians increase in those areas as those voters could vote in a way that makes them feel progressive while being shielded from a lot of the consequences of their votes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login