How in the wide, wide world or sports is UK and Mizzou out recruiting us?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Probably because we're 5-70 against ranked teams since 2001. Not exactly an SEC juggernaut.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
It just doesn't make any sense to me at all!

i can’t fathom why we don’t have 2 or 3 elite WR’s in the boat. I mean, you want to have your name called 20 times a game on ESPN? You want to show the NFL what you have? “Yes I do!” Well sign here.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Their fans have more subscriptions to worthless recruiting sites that make worthless recruiting rankings.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Two days ago Ole Miss was in front of us by about four spots. Today they are eight behind us. It's so fluid no sense into even making sense about it. Yesterday we were 28, picked up a 4* and today we are 29.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Lotta truth in this statement.

Yup. And even without that bias, they don't really know after the say top ten classes. Certainly it's better to be say 18th than 30th, but there will also be classes ranked in the teens that should be in the thirties and vice versa.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yup. And even without that bias, they don't really know after the say top ten classes. Certainly it's better to be say 18th than 30th, but there will also be classes ranked in the teens that should be in the thirties and vice versa.
Yeah. I'd say 1-5 are fairly elite, then 6-15 similar, then 16-35 or so, after that nobody knows. I remember Bill Snyder's first class (of his second tenure) was ranked like 75. It contained Collin Klein and some others, and they proceeded to go to 2 back to back BCS bowls with them.

Also, they get a big bump by the overall number of recruits, not necessarily the average. Still a good indicator I guess.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Same place LSU and Texas A&M were. Hire a good coach with good assistants and viola! Look at what Vic is doing with the women's program who also recruited well in the past.

You don't think they've hired too coaching prospects recently? They've hired the hot names the last few times. Texas isn't what they used to be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You don't think they've hired too coaching prospects recently? They've hired the hot names the last few times. Texas isn't what they used to be.
That's where you go wrong. The "hot" name means nothing. Sark, Herman and Strong are just good coaches. For good coaches to win big, they need to have the right fit. Every blue blood has an equation, and Texas has proved that it can be done there in the modern era. But, the longer they go with average coaches who don't fit, the harder it will be.

They need someone charismatic, same with USC and Miami. You saw what Mack Brown, Pete Carroll were, they need that back. I don't know exactly who the guy is, but it isn't Sark. The answer is Lane Kiffin honestly, for all of the above.

Look no further than Florida for another example of a good coach who doesn't fit.

Elite coaches are just hard to find, for everybody. Tom Osborne, Nick Saban, etc. don't come around too often.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
That's where you go wrong. The "hot" name means nothing. Sark, Herman and Strong are just good coaches. For good coaches to win big, they need to have the right fit. Every blue blood has an equation, and Texas has proved that it can be done there in the modern era. But, the longer they go with average coaches who don't fit, the harder it will be.

They need someone charismatic, same with USC and Miami. You saw what Mack Brown, Pete Carroll were, they need that back. I don't know exactly who the guy is, but it isn't Sark. The answer is Lane Kiffin honestly, for all of the above.

Look no further than Florida for another example of a good coach who doesn't fit.

Elite coaches are just hard to find, for everybody. Tom Osborne, Nick Saban, etc. don't come around too often.

Well said, periodically you will get a good coach like Orgeron who will hire the best assistant coaches in the business and win an NC. When the assistants get hired as head coaches the bottom falls out. Saban is an excellent judge of assistant talent. He always seems to land on his feet when his assistants get hired away. Of course, having the level of talent he has covers a lot of mistakes.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well said, periodically you will get a good coach like Orgeron who will hire the best assistant coaches in the business and win an NC. When the assistants get hired as head coaches the bottom falls out. Saban is an excellent judge of assistant talent. He always seems to land on his feet when his assistants get hired away. Of course, having the level of talent he has covers a lot of mistakes.
Well and take Orgeron example further.....he's actually an EXCELLENT fit at LSU. He recruits at the top tier and had good assistants, which is always possible at LSU. He always had his guys ready to play too. His problem was that he let his ego tell him he was something that he was not, which was an X/O guy.

I usually lump coaches into 3 buckets: system (think Leach, Malzahn, Coach Ken), fundamental (Kiffin, Mullen, Saban, Smart), and CEO (Orgeron, Dabo, Herm Edwards).

LSU just needs someone who can keep the talent pipeline super strong and smile at alumni, and just keep the rest competent. This is the formula for most blue bloods, although there are different ways to get there. Alabama for example, needs someone a little more strong-willed to keep all the nimrods in check. As much as the blue bloods are the same, they all have little differences.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah. I'd say 1-5 are fairly elite, then 6-15 similar, then 16-35 or so, after that nobody knows. I remember Bill Snyder's first class (of his second tenure) was ranked like 75. It contained Collin Klein and some others, and they proceeded to go to 2 back to back BCS bowls with them.

Also, they get a big bump by the overall number of recruits, not necessarily the average. Still a good indicator I guess.

I used to think it was really stupid to let the classes be influenced so much by number of recruits, but then you think about some of the players we have picked up at the end of classes that turned out to be good. Tavese Calhoun was I think added as a result of us losing out on another recruit. I don't know if Bernardrick McKinney was a late addition, but I seem to remember him being the "backup" option for CJ Johnson. I'm guessing he was a take for us either way, but he certainly could have been a last second addition for some programs. I remember the CB for Alabama, something Ares, that was a last second offer for Saban after Croom wouldn't even look at him. If you have more recruits in a class, the more likely you are to hit on some under the radar recruits.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There are 38 (Thirty Eight) receivers in the SEC alone w/ more yards per catch than what our top receiver Makai Polk has. Short ball control catches don't attract much attention so that may be part of it.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
There are 38 (Thirty Eight) receivers in the SEC alone w/ more yards per catch than what our top receiver Makai Polk has. Short ball control catches don't attract much attention so that may be part of it.

That message should be countered with Crabtree at TTech. He had over 1 and 3/4 miles of receiving in two years.

Plus we still have a sophomore QB that will get nothing but better with reps.

We always said how fun Eric Moulds would have been with Dak throwing to him. What about this offense? Holy Cow. A big and fast WR or two in this offense would make this offense a nightmare to game plan against.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I think at worst they're even with us, which means it's entirely possible that other factors like campus ambiance, our coaches' ability to connect with players and roster anomalies could easily mean we're behind or ahead of either of them in a given season.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I think at worst they're even with us, which means it's entirely possible that other factors like campus ambiance, our coaches' ability to connect with players and roster anomalies could easily mean we're behind or ahead of either of them in a given season.

This guy isn’t a tough one to figure out..

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
McKinney was not, but E Jenkins was. You simply never know. Especially with kids at smaller schools that get subpar coaching.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
So you’re saying a recruit cares more about yards per catch than being 2nd in the conference in TD’s, 4th in the conference in total yards, and 1st in receptions?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
This is what matters!

Receiving Yards
NAMEYDS
Jameson Williams, WR
Wan'Dale Robinson, WR
Treylon Burks, WR
Makai Polk, WR
Cedric Tillman, WR

<thead style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

Yeah receivers that average higher than Polk, that only has 15 catches on the season moves the needle? The sell here is look at what Polk is doing. 3rd in yards, 1st in receptions, 2nd in blah blah blah. Get your name called 90 times in a season, and just imagine how much better you are than Polk. That 7 yards per catch could easily be 20 cause you are so awesome.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What I wonder the most about is how LSU still has 2 five stars and 6 four stars committed. They don't even have a freaking coach.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Two days ago Ole Miss was in front of us by about four spots. Today they are eight behind us.

To be fair, Lane is sandbagging his early signers so he can flip most of the class to his new school after the Egg Bowl.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login