How much would you have to earn to work…

SSBGDog

Sep 1, 2014
a concession stand on Saturday during football season? If the answer is, A LOT! Then you might understand why concession prices are so high. Finding willing (and capable) workers is a huge problem now-a-days. If you think I’m wrong, you likely haven't tried it lately. My dad always likes to tell me how thjngs were done in the 1960s and 70s. I like to remind him that was 50-60 years ago. Things have changed and rather rapidly over the past three years.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Still getting continued inflation on food as well. Im sure they couldn’t keep the prices down unless they wanted to take a massive loss. Honestly they’re in line with what I see at concerts and other venues.

So does Arthur Blank take a huge loss every time the Falcons have a home game?

$20 worth of food

Last edited:
Reactions: WilCoDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Concession prices are high because demand for beer, hot dogs, coke and popcorn is high and supply is absolutely limited to one vendor. The concession workers are getting paid the same regardless of the profit margin of the operation. The work does suck but charging people more does not make it easier work for the people, unless of course they own the concession stand and are reaping the increased profit.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A lot of concessions are done on a charity basis. The folks working it are actually doing it for free but a cut of the earnings go to their church or something similar. Not everyone is a professional in the food service industry.
I feel like I’ve heard that several times lately, especially back when we had some games when stands had to be shut down due to workers not showing up. I remember wondering how in the world that could happen, and then Cohen explained that there was only so much he could do with volunteers.

I guess the thing I don’t understand, though, is why can these people not be paid? If a family of 4 is spending just $40 on concessions on average, that’s $350k in revenue per game as long as the stadium is at least half full. Meanwhile, if you’re running 20 concession areas with 8-10 people in each while paying them $15/hr, that’s $9k for a 3 hr game + tips. I just don’t see why this is as big a problem as it is. It definitely seems like one of the infamous “well, this is how we’ve always done it” routines, and it could be fixed with a small amount of forward thinking

Reactions: PhredPhantom

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
a concession stand on Saturday during football season? If the answer is, A LOT! Then you might understand why concession prices are so high. Finding willing (and capable) workers is a huge problem now-a-days. If you think I’m wrong, you likely haven't tried it lately. My dad always likes to tell me how thjngs were done in the 1960s and 70s. I like to remind him that was 50-60 years ago. Things have changed and rather rapidly over the past three years.
So UPig concession workers are often not employees of the concessions company. They partner with all the local school booster clubs and such. The booster club gets a couple hundred bucks or so and a group of kids and parents from that club run a concession stand for that game or sometimes every game for a season.

They also pay groups to clean up bleachers after smaller sports events like volleyball or gymnastics.

It's cheep labor for the concession companies and OK fund raising for the local schools and clubs.

engie

May 29, 2011
I feel like I’ve heard that several times lately, especially back when we had some games when stands had to be shut down due to workers not showing up. I remember wondering how in the world that could happen, and then Cohen explained that there was only so much he could do with volunteers.

I guess the thing I don’t understand, though, is why can these people not be paid? If a family of 4 is spending just $40 on concessions on average, that’s $350k in revenue per game as long as the stadium is at least half full. Meanwhile, if you’re running 20 concession areas with 8-10 people in each while paying them $15/hr, that’s $9k for a 3 hr game + tips. I just don’t see why this is as big a problem as it is. It definitely seems like one of the infamous “well, this is how we’ve always done it” routines, and it could be fixed with a small amount of forward thinking
You giving up your fall Saturday for $45 before taxes?

I agree with the rest of what you said.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You giving up your fall Saturday for $45 before taxes?

I agree with the rest of what you said.
Now? Not a chance. When I was a broke college kid, though? I’d have given it some thought. And if $45 isn’t enough, make that the base pay, but then give the workers a split of 1% of the revenue made that day. An actual incentive for moving product rather than being pissed off that you’re not somewhere else

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
People act like concessions are a full time job. That's for kids to make extra money, not a damn full time job. It's not even like it used to be with several walking the stands selling. People used to work for extra money. Now mom and dad and the government gives them money to waste. They all drive jacked up $75K trucks and nice cars now too. It's beer money

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Tough people create good times, good times create weak people, weak people create hard times. Hard times create tough people. The circle continues. I saw this morning where the Mayor of Boston declared a heat emergency for today. Their high is supposed to be 85. Bless their candy *** hearts.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
People act like concessions are a full time job. That's for kids to make extra money, not a damn full time job. It's not even like it used to be with several walking the stands selling. People used to work for extra money. Now mom and dad and the government gives them money to waste. They all drive jacked up $75K trucks and nice cars now too. It's beer money
season 13 GIF

• Haha
Reactions: LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
What's sad is that on a college campus with an enrollment of 23k, you can't find 50 college kids who are willing to work a few Saturdays for some extra cash with little commitment. It says a lot about our society.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Tough people create good times, good times create weak people, weak people create hard times. Hard times create tough people. The circle continues. I saw this morning where the Mayor of Boston declared a heat emergency for today. Their high is supposed to be 85. Bless their candy *** hearts.
Lots of weak candy åsses in MS too... many on this board. I remember reading about a cold spell in Mississippi last year where everyone lost their collective minds because it dipped down to the teens. My kids wear tshirts to school in those temps. "Frostbite likely" my åss.

1000011247.png

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
And worth keeping in mind that $45 today is the equivalent of $25.50 in 2000. Value of money changes.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
What's sad is that on a college campus with an enrollment of 23k, you can't find 50 college kids who are willing to work a few Saturdays for some extra cash with little commitment. It says a lot about our society.
People not wanting to work a Saturday sht job doesn’t say anything about our society.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
People not wanting to work a Saturday sht job doesn’t say anything about our society.
I beg to differ. I worked at a sht job literally (cleaning out stables in a horse barn) when I was a student. It wasn't because I wanted to do it for fun. It was because I had to if I wanted to put gas in the tank and / or go out on Saturday night rather than stay home and watch The Love Boat and Fantasy Island with the folks. Most of the younger generation seem content to stay at home and stare at screens - playing video games and scrolling social media. This is leading to deterioration of interpersonal skills, low self-esteem, depression, lack of motivation... Don't get me wrong - I probably get too much screen time myself, but it has caused a significant change.

Reactions: paindonthurt

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I beg to differ. I worked at a sht job literally (cleaning out stables in a horse barn) when I was a student. It wasn't because I wanted to do it for fun. It was because I had to if I wanted to put gas in the tank and / or go out on Saturday night rather than stay home and watch The Love Boat and Fantasy Island with the folks. Most of the younger generation seem content to stay at home and stare at screens - playing video games and scrolling social media. This is leading to deterioration of interpersonal skills, low self-esteem, depression, lack of motivation... Don't get me wrong - I probably get too much screen time myself, but it has caused a significant change.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
― Socrates​

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It says everything about our society, when people would rather sit on their fat arse at home rather than get out and earn some cash at a ballgame. When people would rather take a handout than earn their own it speaks volumes about those people.

Reactions: paindonthurt

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
That's literally a ****** job lol

How much were you compensated?
And what years were you in college while shoveling tsun off the ground?

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Applying your standards to others doesn’t make you correct. Enjoy your martyrdom while other people seek other more profitable uses of their time

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”​

― Socrates​

Then the Romans put the quash on all those greek slackers! Then it came back and resulted in the end of their empire. And now it's back again. Hummm.....

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
It says everything about our society, when people would rather sit on their fat arse at home rather than get out and earn some cash at a ballgame. When people would rather take a handout than earn their own it speaks volumes about those people.
You think the only alternative to working concessions is sitting at home?

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
That's literally a ****** job lol

How much were you compensated?
And what years were you in college while shoveling tsun off the ground?
Too many moons since then for me to recall the rate, but it was a good bit more than a burger flipping wage. Most importantly, it was enough to get me to the next weekend.
I actually started while going to HS and continued, although at a lower frequency, up until I finished State the Summer of 93.
Applying your standards to others doesn’t make you correct. Enjoy your martyrdom while other people seek other more profitable uses of their time
It is correct that there has been a societal change.
I'm fine with anyone seeking a more profitable use of their time. But I'm not fine with folks just sitting on their ever-widening hindquarters while complaining about The Man keeping them down.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I did a few times, back in the late 90s. Got $50 a game. Then I saw how much the company was making and writing off to loss (half the hawkers with the trays would sell the first tray and pocket the cash and disappear, rather than come refill the tray and sell more, brcause they made more money for less work that way), and said screw this.

Dude, concession prices have NOTHING to do with the workers. They pay them less than other stores do that sell for less too. It's all about profit and subbing out to large companies that want large profits rather than finding and nurturing local small business. It's also about having competent university staff that pushes back on Aramark or whoever demands.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean currently? It would take $50/hr plus

but I have a degree in mechanical engineering and an mba and a full time job making more than $50/hr

if I didn’t have a job or if I only had a job making $15/hr and working 30 to 40 a week?

$10 to $15 would sound gravy.

but my mindset is to work for my money and give people a reason to pay me more and not expect more while I do less.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
50 years ago we had to yada, yada, yada and kids these days don't appreciate how we lived in tiny, leaky 800-sq. ft. houses with one toilet because they're weak. Anyone who thinks the good old days were better has a terrible memory.
They certainly weren’t better for the people who lived there.

It’s a fact most worked harder and had less than the average person today. Not debatable. Fact.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login