How much would you have to earn to work…

STATEBALLIN

Aug 23, 2012
I feel like I’ve heard that several times lately, especially back when we had some games when stands had to be shut down due to workers not showing up. I remember wondering how in the world that could happen, and then Cohen explained that there was only so much he could do with volunteers.

I guess the thing I don’t understand, though, is why can these people not be paid? If a family of 4 is spending just $40 on concessions on average, that’s $350k in revenue per game as long as the stadium is at least half full. Meanwhile, if you’re running 20 concession areas with 8-10 people in each while paying them $15/hr, that’s $9k for a 3 hr game + tips. I just don’t see why this is as big a problem as it is. It definitely seems like one of the infamous “well, this is how we’ve always done it” routines, and it could be fixed with a small amount of forward thinking
The sellers have to buy the food too. It’s not given to them. Plus the myriad of taxes.

Reactions: SSBGDog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So UPig concession workers are often not employees of the concessions company. They partner with all the local school booster clubs and such. The booster club gets a couple hundred bucks or so and a group of kids and parents from that club run a concession stand for that game or sometimes every game for a season.

They also pay groups to clean up bleachers after smaller sports events like volleyball or gymnastics.

It's cheep labor for the concession companies and OK fund raising for the local schools and clubs.
The hump concessions were once manned by kawanis club members.

I was a grad assistant.

they were much better workers as volunteers than a lot of paid workers.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My guess is the lower prices taught us a few things.

- Lower concession prices aren't going to improve attendance.
- People are going to buy more and even make an extra trip to concessions during the game.
- With higher demand you've got to have more food and more workers to sell and prepare it.
- More people buying more stuff means lines are longer if we can't add more concession areas (we tried to improve this with the grab & go which has been a huge success in my opinion, and also with the food trucks which haven't seemed to work as well)

There's some excitement around the program, and we're expecting bigger crowds than we've had the last few years. So what's the easiest way to cut down on the long concession lines? Raise prices to discourage people from buying so much.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
season 13 GIF
👆🏼 will raise soft @$$ kids

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
They certainly weren’t better for the people who lived there.

It’s a fact most worked harder and had less than the average person today. Not debatable. Fact.
Highly debatable. Granted, people today probably work with less physical effort and have more crap. But pretty sure data shows they work more hours and have less money/wealth.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
It’s true. And will only get worse as minimum wage creeps towards $15hr.
Minimum wage doesn’t creep. It hasn’t moved in like 20 years. That’s the problem.

Workers are now taking matters into their own hands and demanding $15 dollars if not more to do almost every job.

Again, raising the minimum wage across the board does really nothing than force everything to be more expensive and piss off everyone that worked hard to get to that new minimum wage rate.

it is kind of like the ncaa not allowing a stipend, when workers force the cost increase, and refuse to work correctly until they get what they think they deserve, every aspect of the economy suffers.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
thanks you criminals in the federal govt. why work when there are suckers out there that will work for you
How is this in any way a relevant response to the thread topic?
17ing random rant by you.

If you choose to respond and claim it's a comment on welfare, actually provide stars to back your misinformed view up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
People act like concessions are a full time job. That's for kids to make extra money, not a damn full time job. It's not even like it used to be with several walking the stands selling. People used to work for extra money. Now mom and dad and the government gives them money to waste. They all drive jacked up $75K trucks and nice cars now too. It's beer money
People work for extra money now. Your broadly brushed picture of laziness and handouts is 17ing weak. Its an overplayed message board trope, really.

Also, why the 17 is it bad if parents give their kids money? That comment of your reeks of jealousy and a desire to control how others spend their earnings.

Haha, and you end with a 'they all' claim too.
Too funny.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
thanks you criminals in the federal govt. why work when there are suckers out there that will work for you
Name the last Give Away they did. The Covid money ended like two years ago, buddy. That was signed into law by Trump Jesus our Orange Savior. That and approximately 70% of all Covid specific spending. He could have vetoed it, but he knew just like everyone else, the machine needed dollars or it would seize up.

Reactions: ckDOG

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Concession prices are high because demand for beer, hot dogs, coke and popcorn is high and supply is absolutely limited to one vendor. The concession workers are getting paid the same regardless of the profit margin of the operation. The work does suck but charging people more does not make it easier work for the people, unless of course they own the concession stand and are reaping the increased profit.
Business earnings and employee wage rates have little to do with one another.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I feel like I’ve heard that several times lately, especially back when we had some games when stands had to be shut down due to workers not showing up. I remember wondering how in the world that could happen, and then Cohen explained that there was only so much he could do with volunteers.

I guess the thing I don’t understand, though, is why can these people not be paid? If a family of 4 is spending just $40 on concessions on average, that’s $350k in revenue per game as long as the stadium is at least half full. Meanwhile, if you’re running 20 concession areas with 8-10 people in each while paying them $15/hr, that’s $9k for a 3 hr game + tips. I just don’t see why this is as big a problem as it is. It definitely seems like one of the infamous “well, this is how we’ve always done it” routines, and it could be fixed with a small amount of forward thinking
It would be about 6 hours per worker, or 18k overall. Seems easily achievable.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It says everything about our society, when people would rather sit on their fat arse at home rather than get out and earn some cash at a ballgame. When people would rather take a handout than earn their own it speaks volumes about those people.

If this says anything about society, it says society has learned to hold out for earning opportunities that match value.

Create a pay structure that is attractive and people will get off their fat arses and earn some cash.
I can't believe I am explaining a basic reality of our workforce and economy.

It has been suggested and referenced multiple times here that $15/hour would motivate people to work at a football game.
So using that pay rate and assuming the person lives in Starkville...
- 20min to drive and park.
- 15min or more to get to the stadium.
- arrive 1 hour early to prep.
- serve for 3 hours.
- leave 1 hour after to close up.
- 15min or more to get to car.
- 10min drive home.

6 hours away from home to make $60 net take home pay for a job that is hot, chaotic, and more exhausting than most office jobs.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I sold concessions at MSU football and basketball games in the 70s. I was probably 12 years old. We worked on commission. You paid for a rack of cokes i think it was 20 cups of coke with ice. You sold them for 25 cents each and got to keep difference. A rack would gross $5 and you paid $3 for it. Rinse and repeat. Best business was in the student section during the game and working the piss line at half time. If all the ice melted before you sold the rack you were 17ed. Sales sucked after half time so I mostly watched the game after selling what I had when the 3rd quarter started. At the end of the day my hands were stickier than Fred Bilentikoff before a Super Bowl.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
a concession stand on Saturday during football season? If the answer is, A LOT! Then you might understand why concession prices are so high. Finding willing (and capable) workers is a huge problem now-a-days. If you think I’m wrong, you likely haven't tried it lately. My dad always likes to tell me how thjngs were done in the 1960s and 70s. I like to remind him that was 50-60 years ago. Things have changed and rather rapidly over the past three years.
I volunteered the NWR opener because parents are obligated to, and I’m glad that’s over with for this season. Line was 20+ deep for 2-3 hours straight, just non stop relentless work.

Don’t forget the same worker pool that would work games for pay can also now get hired by any of the gig apps. Doordash and others will allow anyone with a pulse. That didn’t exist before,, and driving around in your car for $10-$15 hour is way easier than a crowded concession stand.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Highly debatable. Granted, people today probably work with less physical effort and have more crap. But pretty sure data shows they work more hours and have less money/wealth.
And have more stuff which is part of the reason why they have less money.

I’d love to see the data on who works more hours now.

In recent years, there has been a huge push to not work over 40.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
People work for extra money now. Your broadly brushed picture of laziness and handouts is 17ing weak. Its an overplayed message board trope, really.

Also, why the 17 is it bad if parents give their kids money? That comment of your reeks of jealousy and a desire to control how others spend their earnings.

Haha, and you end with a 'they all' claim too.
Too funny.
Funny considering you love the government controlling your earnings

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People not wanting to work a Saturday sht job doesn’t say anything about our society.
It entirely depends on what they are paying. I'm not sure how long the concession stand workers are generally needed, but I would say that if they are offering $200 for a day of work, that's pretty damn good and there are enough students taking out loans that it's pretty incredible that they have trouble staffing at that rate. If they are offering $100 a day, I'm still surprised they can't find takers for that, but I can certainly understand not wanting to give up going to the game and giving up a big chunk of hours on a Saturday for an amount that after taxes ends up not being that great.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Applying your standards to others doesn’t make you correct. Enjoy your martyrdom while other people seek other more profitable uses of their time
I don't think anybody cares about people that are seeking more profitable uses of their time. I do suspect that there are enough people on campus taking out student loans that will be whining about wanting forgiveness later that they could adequately staff all the concession stands.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's not what the data shows at all. Granted there is downsides related to so many people being constantly tied to their jobs, but even the most pessimistic of data shows that we're materially wealthier while working less on average.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
If this says anything about society, it says society has learned to hold out for earning opportunities that match value
Earning opportunities for workers can never match value. If they did, there’d be no profit for the leeches. That’s the fly in the ointment.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Ironically if the demand exceeds the capacity, prices should rise. Think about this when you’re in concession line or chick fil a.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Supply and demand seems to be a lost concept on the free market I hate muh gubment posters.

A cake idiom comes to mind.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

SSBGDog

Sep 1, 2014
What's sad is that on a college campus with an enrollment of 23k, you can't find 50 college kids who are willing to work a few Saturdays for some extra cash with little commitment. It says a lot about our society.
Heck my kids wouldn’t if I’m being honest. It’s much easier to go ask their mama for money. They are teenagers. Now admittedly my son won a bass tourney last week for a nice payout and my daughter baby sits for extra money when she needs it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If this says anything about society, it says society has learned to hold out for earning opportunities that match value.

Create a pay structure that is attractive and people will get off their fat arses and earn some cash.
I can't believe I am explaining a basic reality of our workforce and economy.

It has been suggested and referenced multiple times here that $15/hour would motivate people to work at a football game.
So using that pay rate and assuming the person lives in Starkville...
- 20min to drive and park.
- 15min or more to get to the stadium.
- arrive 1 hour early to prep.
- serve for 3 hours.
- leave 1 hour after to close up.
- 15min or more to get to car.
- 10min drive home.

6 hours away from home to make $60 net take home pay for a job that is hot, chaotic, and more exhausting than most office jobs.
It’s way easier to hold out for a higher paying job when you have a current job.

Im way more likely to hire someone who is currently working versus someone who isn’t working. Most hiring people fill the same way.

You work at McDonald’s for a year making $10/hr and show up on time and do a good job? Getting a $12/hr job won’t be hard.

Onviously if your mental capacity limits you to flipping burgers or running a fryer you will top out fast but if you work hard, listen and show up, you’ll make more money versus not.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Absolutely wild that a college kid would choose to tailgate and go to a FB game over working a concession stand.
I don’t think anyone is saying what you are implying. Lot of college kids have some spending money.
A lot dont.
Hell lot of college age kids who aren’t in college and claim they NEED a job.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login