How much would you have to earn to work…

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
If this says anything about society, it says society has learned to hold out for earning opportunities that match value.

Create a pay structure that is attractive and people will get off their fat arses and earn some cash.
I can't believe I am explaining a basic reality of our workforce and economy.

It has been suggested and referenced multiple times here that $15/hour would motivate people to work at a football game.
So using that pay rate and assuming the person lives in Starkville...
- 20min to drive and park.
- 15min or more to get to the stadium.
- arrive 1 hour early to prep.
- serve for 3 hours.
- leave 1 hour after to close up.
- 15min or more to get to car.
- 10min drive home.

6 hours away from home to make $60 net take home pay for a job that is hot, chaotic, and more exhausting than most office jobs.
how do they have a fat arse if they don’t work?

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would need at least one serving of some soggy nachos to make it worth my time.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It entirely depends on what they are paying. I'm not sure how long the concession stand workers are generally needed, but I would say that if they are offering $200 for a day of work, that's pretty damn good and there are enough students taking out loans that it's pretty incredible that they have trouble staffing at that rate. If they are offering $100 a day, I'm still surprised they can't find takers for that, but I can certainly understand not wanting to give up going to the game and giving up a big chunk of hours on a Saturday for an amount that after taxes ends up not being that great.
And let me just confirm that at least as of 4-5 years ago, our tent had absolutely zero problem finding college kids to “bar tend” for 6 hours for $100/game + tips. I use that term loosely because the primary job was nothing more than making sure the person in line had a sticker, and if they did, you pour a beer in a solo cup.

Point being that I don’t think our concessions issue is about crap pay or lazy workers. It’s because we apparently refuse to pay anything which just boggles my mind when you consider the money those places are raking in

Reactions: Boom Boom

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Funny considering you love the government controlling your earnings
Do I though?
Just because I recognize that taxes are necessary for society to flourish doesnt mean I love the government controlling my earnings. To argue otherwise is simplistic and demonstrates a lack of fundamental understanding.

Also, I dont think the government controls all my earnings. Sure the government controls some of my earnings, just like they do for everyone, since taxes are a reality and necessity for society to function.

Reactions: Boom Boom

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And let me just confirm that at least as of 4-5 years ago, our tent had absolutely zero problem finding college kids to “bar tend” for 6 hours for $100/game + tips. I use that term loosely because the primary job was nothing more than making sure the person in line had a sticker, and if they did, you pour a beer in a solo cup.

Point being that I don’t think our concessions issue is about crap pay or lazy workers. It’s because we apparently refuse to pay anything which just boggles my mind when you consider the money those places are raking in
I want to say I would have been all over this job when I was in college, but quite frankly, we arrived late to more than a few 11am games because everyone was sleeping...passed out.

In college I worked 3 internships where I managed people(older and younger than me), had to speak in front of hundreds of often wealthy people and hold their attention, and had to be reliable and consistent. I crushed it.
But at school? 17, that was a shitshow- I(we) took each day as it came and could barely plan 5 hours ahead, much less 5 days ahead.
Its a unique time in life when it comes to responsibilities, maturity, etc and based on my half decade at MSU, it was very common for a lot of students to hold a quasi-double life where they are super responsible sometimes and 17ing worthless other times.

Anyways, I saw your post and thought 'that would have been 17ing awesome!'...and then quickly laughed because then I remembered how many early games we had back in 99-04.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That's not what the data shows at all. Granted there is downsides related to so many people being constantly tied to their jobs, but even the most pessimistic of data shows that we're materially wealthier while working less on average.
If by "we", you mean an average of all Americans, then probably yeah, as Elon and such drive up the average. Michael Jordan and I have an average of 3 NBA championships.

I mean an average of hourly workers or less than $100k in income or something similar.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
In recent years, there has been a huge push to not work over 40.
Dont believe everything that Insider and other worthless media pushes to your phone. There is no 'huge push', even if some content generator claims there is.
On a related note, Instagram is not representative of a person's full life.

Oh, and I will spell out why that is related- because perception and reality are very different in both instances.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If by "we", you mean an average of all Americans, then probably yeah, as Elon and such drive up the average. Michael Jordan and I have an average of 3 NBA championships.

YES!! I am stealing this, its awesome!

I havent been so excited to steal something since 2003 when we stole a concrete bulldog statue from a tanning salon in the Cotton District because we all drunkenly agreed it would look better on our porch.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
YES!! I am stealing this, its awesome!

I havent been so excited to steal something since 2003 when we stole a concrete bulldog statue from a tanning salon in the Cotton District because we all drunkenly agreed it would look better on our porch.
Feel free, I didn't come up with it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Ironically if the demand exceeds the capacity, prices should rise. Think about this when you’re in concession line or chick fil a.
Do I though?
Just because I recognize that taxes are necessary for society to flourish doesnt mean I love the government controlling my earnings. To argue otherwise is simplistic and demonstrates a lack of fundamental understanding.

Also, I dont think the government controls all my earnings. Sure the government controls some of my earnings, just like they do for everyone, since taxes are a reality and necessity for society to function.
You are definitely for them taxing more.

if your aren’t, say it explicitly and definitely.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I mean an average of hourly workers or less than $100k in income or something similar.
Average hourly income (using CPI-U as a deflator) of production and non-supervisory employees has grown by 17% since 1965. That's certainly not great but when adjust for after tax and transfer it gets better. And that ignores the benefit side all together, where we have for better or worse concentrated most of our increase in compensation over the past few decades. Some of that increase in benefits is driven by baumol's cost disease and probably more of it is driven by subsidizing demand while restricting supply, but a lot of it is actually due to the increase in the quality of the services available.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If they are not paying anything and we have long lines at anytime other than pregame and halftime, that is unbelievable.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Average hourly income (using CPI-U as a deflator) of production and non-supervisory employees has grown by 17% since 1965. That's certainly not great but when adjust for after tax and transfer it gets better. And that ignores the benefit side all together, where we have for better or worse concentrated most of our increase in compensation over the past few decades. Some of that increase in benefits is driven by baumol's cost disease and probably more of it is driven by subsidizing demand while restricting supply, but a lot of it is actually due to the increase in the quality of the services available.
Since 1973, no increase. And the stuff you could buy back then actually lasted more than a couple years before breaking.

yes, benefits have gone up....but so has the cost of those services, so it's mostly a wash,if not an outright loss for workers. A health plan with 20% co pay 30 years ago probably provided much more cost benefit to the employee than one today that pays 90% and has a deductible and such, while still costing more to the employer.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If they are not paying anything and we have long lines at anytime other than pregame and halftime, that is unbelievable.
Squaring this circle, it's likely that the people they find to work for below market pay (even for Starkville) are doing it because they make up for that with grift. A small business would make dang sure they weren't losing 10x in theft to what they could stop with better pay. Aramark or other Big Business....they'd rather lose a million to theft before paying $10k more in wage.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login