I’ll ask this again

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
If we have the opportunity to get Godwin, that's who I would call first.

If not and we have to go the assistant coach route, I would call:
Scott Brown - Associate HC/PC at Vandy
Nate Thompson - Associate HC/Hitting Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Arkansas
Nobody from Vandy. Vandy was nothing close to a powerhouse in baseball until Opportunity Vanderbilt gave them one of the biggest advantages over competition in any sport at any time. Check Corbin's track record before Vandy basically removed any recruiting, scholarship and/or roster limitations.

I'm no sprinter, but give me a 40 yard head start in a 100 yard dash and you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody who could beat me consistently.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
That is true but look at our division. Every coach has been to Omaha besides Bohanon who is probably on his way out. We have to hire a big time coach if we’re the program our fans think we are. We can hire Burroughs because he’s a grinder and knows Mississippi but if that’s our criteria we can enjoy our 1 trip to Omaha every 5 years
I'm not sure if La Tech ever had a class ranked in the Top 100 anytime prior to Lane arriving. They've only had 2 classes (65 & 69) in the 6 years LB has been there. Now you might say he's not a great recruiter, but can you really when you consider who he is recruiting against?

He's up against the same SEC teams we fight against, and has it tougher in his state than USM has in ours. So, he's never had anything close to the kind of classes we always get, yet he's gotten results. He's not known to be a lazy or poor recruiter as far as I know, so I've got to believe he'd consistently have Top 15 or better classes every year here, and maybe Top 5 (unless NIL blows that up).

Image what he could do with that kind of talent vs what he has done with classes that have never been higher than 65th, and usually aren't even Top 100. The guy can coach...that much seems obvious.

Here's a link from his announcement as HC at Northwestern State. It's a good & informative read. Includes some high praise from some of the most successful HC's in the country, including Cohen, for whom he had just been an assistant at MSU for the 4 years prior.
https://nsudemons.com/news/2012/6/13/BB_0613124839.aspx

Last edited:

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I'm not sure if La Tech ever had a class ranked in the Top 100 anytime prior to Lane arriving. They've only had 2 classes (65 & 69) in the 6 years LB has been there. Now you might say he's not a great recruiter, but can you really when you consider who he is recruiting against?

He's up against the same SEC teams we fight for, and has it tougher in his state than USM has in ours. So, he's never had anything close to the kind of classes we always get, yet he's gotten results. He's not known to be a lazy or poor recruiter as far as I know, so I've got to believe he'd consistently have Top 15 or better classes every year here, and maybe Top 5 (unless NIL blows that up).

Image what he could do with that kind of talent vs what he has done with classes the have never been higher than 65th, and usually aren't even Top 100. The guy can coach...that much seems obvious.
I don't disagree about Burroughs being a good coach and recruiter, but do wonder why you think he has it tougher in LA than USM has it in MS. USM has the Dawgs and the RebelBlackBearLandsharks to deal with instate and they are actually closer to LSU than La Tech is.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I don't disagree about Burroughs being a good coach and recruiter, but do wonder why you think he has it tougher in LA than USM has it in MS. USM has the Dawgs and the RebelBlackBearLandsharks to deal with instate and they are actually closer to LSU than La Tech is.
They compete against every team we do & they have more very good programs in-state.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Don't sleep on Burroughs the guy is a good coach and recruiter and knows the area very well.

he's built a pretty consistent program. Know he's not a "big name" hire but he's a good baseball coach and a solid recruiter.
I wouldn't be upset with him at all. Another guy I'd take a look at that's a "no name" is Matt Riser at southeastern louisiana. He's done a pretty solid job during his time there.
I don’t know much about riser other than he played for and was hired by Jay Artigues. Artigues was a great coach.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
no man GIF
I’d take O’Sullivan in a heartbeat.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I am aware of the chronology between Bryant and Saban, but I also realize that Bama got sick of it and did what they had to do to get who they thought would bring them back up to the elite level. Programs like Bama football, Kentucky basketball, and other blue bloods don't end up with roody poos, at least not in this day and time. I agree with all the things you said that occurred between Bryant and Saban, but I think now is a much different time than it was back then. I know everybody pays a lot now, but watch the insane amount that Bama offers their next football coach. It will be astounding.
I'm interested to know your take on what we should do about Lemonis.
I’ll give you 3-1 odds that Bama won’t hire a coach after Saban that makes is longer that 5 years at Bama. And he won’t average more than 10.5 wins at Bama.

Reactions: patdog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Still need to kick the tires on them. If our athletic department does their due diligence and finds that Burroughs is the best man for the job I’ll be happy and support him. I just don’t want us to shoe him in for being a State guy
Ok this is a fair take but this isn’t what the other morons are saying.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yeah I don't understand anti-Sully sentiments by our fanbase
I suspect most just think he’s an *******, which may be true. But he’s also a damn good coach. 7 World Series, 1 national title, played in the championship series 4 times. He’s completed 15 seasons at Florida, about 46% of those seasons resulted in a CWS trip, 25% resulted in a trip to the CWS finals… and of course a national championship. Anyone who does not think that is worth hiring is crazy.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I can't believe this is happening to our coach who got us the Natty. Sad. Sure wished things had gone well for Lemonis but it appears he just doesn't know how to keep grinding / crootin' every year getting new quality players into the lineup. And now it also appears he's prolly not a good coach because I don't believe our talent sucks to the degree our record does.
He's a "player's coach" just like Morehead. When you hear that label for a coach run! It means the players run the program and he watches from the sidelines and says stuff like "good catch!"

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is 100% correct. Don't talk about winning if you're not willing to make the sacrifices and do what it takes to maintain excellence. Watch what happens should Saban ever retire. Bama won't end up with some run of the mill 4th option because the 1st 3 options turned them down. And they damn sure won't put up with a disastrous season the year after he retires, let alone 2 disastrous seasons!
Ignorance is bliss

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He's a "player's coach" just like Morehead. When you hear that label for a coach run! It means the players run the program and he watches from the sidelines and says stuff like "good catch!"
Jackie Sherrill was a players coach.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know that I would classify Lemonis as a players coach, at least not in the sense that you are saying. It’s fair to say Lemonis is not going to publicly yell at a kid but from everything I know he ain’t afraid to chew on someone’s *** at practice or in the locker room. The issue with Lemonis is not discipline in the program like it was with Joe… the players respect Lemonis.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
This is 100% correct. Don't talk about winning if you're not willing to make the sacrifices and do what it takes to maintain excellence. Watch what happens should Saban ever retire. Bama won't end up with some run of the mill 4th option because the 1st 3 options turned them down. And they damn sure won't put up with a disastrous season the year after he retires, let alone 2 disastrous seasons!
If we want to be elite it isn't an ad problem or a coaching issue per se.

The real issue is $$$

you can't be last in booster money, nil, etc.

We've barely got enough NIL to half way cover football like we should, much less baseball.

a lot of these big money schools that haven't been great historically as baseball are about to make a big jump because they have the money to pay these guys and kill the 11.7 scholly issue.

LSU, Alabama, and UGA are about to blow up in baseball. LSU is obviously always going to be tough and has been and they are only going to get better.

bama and uga have had some success in baseball but they are about to take a big jump forward.

if we don't start raising more money we are going to get left in the dust. A nice field and a little history doesn't make up for a team that has the ability to tell a 5th round highschool pick that got offered 250-300k that "hey don't sign come here for 3 years you'll get that money here as well and then can get drafted down the line."

vandy, UF, UGA and others all have an advantage over us in baseball recruiting already due to the 11.7 issue.

if y'all want to see us hire good coaches and win we've gotta open the pocket books up more.

is what it is, can't expect champagne results on a beer budget.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

The real issue is $$$

We've barely got enough NIL to half way cover football like we should, much less baseball.

a lot of these big money schools that haven't been great historically as baseball are about to make a big jump because they have the money to pay these guys and kill the 11.7 scholly issue.

LSU, Alabama, and UGA are about to blow up in baseball. LSU is obviously always going to be tough and has been and they are only going to get better.

bama and uga have had some success in baseball but they are about to take a big jump forward.

if we don't start raising more money we are going to get left in the dust. A nice field and a little history doesn't make up for a team that has the ability to tell a 5th round highschool pick that got offered 250-300k that "hey don't sign come here for 3 years you'll get that money here as well and then can get drafted down the line."

vandy, UF, UGA and others all have an advantage over us in baseball recruiting already due to the 11.7 issue.

if y'all want to see us hire good coaches and win we've gotta open the pocket books up more.

Yep, sad but unfortunately true. We were among the lowest before NIL, but now we're separated from the top even further. The roster LSU has put together this year is a prime example of where things are headed, to your point about baseball about to be blown up. I had hope that baseball wouldn't be as affected, but I have no idea where that hope came from because it certainly isn't realistic.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

The real issue is $$$

The fact that we are not the most talented team in the SEC might be an NIL issue, however, the fact that we finished last in the SEC last year and appear to be headed to that type of finish again this year really has nothing to do with NIL. It has to do with being a poorly coached team that can't perform basic baseball fundamentals like throwing strikes and making routing fielding plays.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
You left out the fact that Burroughs took them to those 2 last year and the year before...that in just his 5th & 6th year. He took over a **** program and turned them into consistent winners.
He's not even the best directional school coach in Louisiana. If he hadn't been a coach here, his name wouldn't even be brought up.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
……Alabama, and UGA are about to blow up in baseball.…..

Oh dear God. No they aren’t. You still have to care, to spend NIL money. You could have paid baseball players under the table just like football. And like you said, they’ve had success.

Get yourself together son

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Oh dear God. No they aren’t. You still have to care, to spend NIL money. You could have paid baseball players under the table just like football. And like you said, they’ve had success.

Id bet its more likely than you think. Both those schools have invested in their facilities. To think NIL money wont be invested isnt that far fetched of an idea.

And its not like those programs have a history of being doormats either.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I don’t know that I would classify Lemonis as a players coach, at least not in the sense that you are saying. It’s fair to say Lemonis is not going to publicly yell at a kid but from everything I know he ain’t afraid to chew on someone’s *** at practice or in the locker room. The issue with Lemonis is not discipline in the program like it was with Joe… the players respect Lemonis.
Our players have called him a "player's coach".

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
He's a major &&&hole. That said, if we can hire him, I'm all for it. He's a damn good coach. I draw the line at Vitello though.
Absolutely. I personally feel like Vitello does not have staying power anyway. His act is going to wear thin.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Lemonis is like the promoter at concerts handing out free t-shirts.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023

Not going to get into the specifics, but that's coming from a couple of people with ties to several of the bigger summer ball programs(east coast, EBC, and a couple of others) along with talking with the Whitesox scout, Mariners scout, and a dodgers scout about it.

think what you want, but I assure you this isn't just some fluff in the sky stuff, it's already happened to three youngsters that were going to commit with us out of florida and the alabama panhandle that backed out due to NIL talks with teams like UGA and Bama that's why I stated them specifically.

I don't post a whole lot about other sports because I didn't play any of those past highschool but I played baseball through college and was in the rays organization for a few years.

baseball in general is my passion, not just mississippi state, I work with some pretty talented kids, a couple that are D1/draft guys out of highschool and they are all saying the same things. NIL money in baseball is becoming a thing simply because the bamas and ugas of the world have so much NIL coming in they've got plenty to spread around.

if you don't think they'll use that to even the playing field as far as facilities and history go you're dead wrong. LSU will always have a great program but they are about to blow up again and are pushing a lot of NIL money, a few of the big time older transfers they got because of the NIL deals they were offered.

so just fair warning, we are about to become very mediocre at everything if we don't start raising more NIL. It may make you feel better to blame it purely on coaching and that's justifiable. I'm not saying our coaching staff is killing it right now and just doesn't have the players. We should always be a regional team and expect to host every so often but the chance for us to really build a consistent national championship baseball program is slipping the more NIL becomes bigger.

I am interested in getting. Better understanding of why you feel that bama and UGA don't have the same upside as state now that nil is in baseball?

If i got to choose between the draft, playing in front of 13k in college and covering 50-60% of your own tuition(state) or go play at uga or bama in front of what 6-8k but getting paid 200k to come there, I'm probably taking the 200k and full ride over playing in front of 11-13k on weekends and covering a large portion of my tuition.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
if you don't think they'll use that to even the playing field as far as facilities and history go you're dead wrong. LSU will always have a great program but they are about to blow up again and are pushing a lot of NIL money, a few of the big time older transfers they got because of the NIL deals they were offered.
I'm not saying it can't level the playing field, if it happens. I'm saying it's likely not to happen.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
I'm not saying it can't level the playing field, if it happens. I'm saying it's likely not to happen
why? I understand that's your position but why do you think it won't is what I'm getting at.. I just gave you a host of reasons why I believe it will. All of what I said came from people that are much much more knowledgeable about how baseball/draft/recruiting are going.

You're going to see alot more high end highschool talent going to college over the next several years as well. That's coming straight from a guy that's been a scout for over 25 years.
I'm sure you didn't think Ole Miss would ever catch us in baseball either and while we've done better head to head and made more cws appearances over the last decade they've gained a ton of ground on us. If they can, what makes you think bama or uga Cant?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Not going to get into the specifics, but that's coming from a couple of people with ties to several of the bigger summer ball programs(east coast, EBC, and a couple of others) along with talking with the Whitesox scout, Mariners scout, and a dodgers scout about it.

think what you want, but I assure you this isn't just some fluff in the sky stuff, it's already happened to three youngsters that were going to commit with us out of florida and the alabama panhandle that backed out due to NIL talks with teams like UGA and Bama that's why I stated them specifically.

I don't post a whole lot about other sports because I didn't play any of those past highschool but I played baseball through college and was in the rays organization for a few years.

baseball in general is my passion, not just mississippi state, I work with some pretty talented kids, a couple that are D1/draft guys out of highschool and they are all saying the same things. NIL money in baseball is becoming a thing simply because the bamas and ugas of the world have so much NIL coming in they've got plenty to spread around.

so just fair warning, we are about to become very mediocre at everything if we don't start raising more NIL. It may make you feel better to blame it purely on coaching and that's justifiable. I'm not saying our coaching staff is killing it right now and just doesn't have the players. We should always be a regional team and expect to host every so often but the chance for us to really build a consistent national championship baseball program is slipping the more NIL becomes bigger.

I am interested in getting. Better understanding of why you feel that bama and UGA don't have the same upside as state now that nil is in baseball?

If i got to choose between the draft, playing in front of 13k in college and covering 50-60% of your own tuition(state) or go play at uga or bama in front of what 6-8k but getting paid 200k to come there, I'm probably taking the 200k and full ride over playing in front of 11-13k on weekends and covering a large portion of my tuition.

I agree with a lot of this however I'll say what most (even those mentioned) travel ball programs think or led people to believe they know is a lot less than they actually do.

I do think NIL money is going to effect the market in baseball, and i do think kids/players dont see or value the history etc of the baseball program like this board thinks they do. Everyone has great facitlities, its not as easy as we play infront huge stadiums like some people think. And starkville isn't the greatest college town in the SEC either.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You're going to see alot more high end highschool talent going to college over the next several years as well. That's coming straight from a guy that's been a scout for over 25 years.
I'm sure you didn't think Ole Miss would ever catch us in baseball either and while we've done better head to head and made more cws appearances over the last decade they've gained a ton of ground on us. If they can, what makes you think bama or uga Cant?
Not only that, the portal is going to be a bidding war. You saw that with the LSU ace. The portal will be simply free agency.

LSU, Ark, Tenn, even Ole Miss have great enviorments and great or improved dramatically facilities. Throw florida into that mix as well, texas am. Its a lot closer than people realize.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They can, but why haven't they before? History is not on your side. Why would they decide they care about baseball now?

I'll give on one area - the portal. 1st or 2nd year guys that have proven to be elite on the college level will have some suitors, and NIL will be a factor. Those guys will be the minority, the Tommy Tanks and Paul Skenes. And both of those guys were absolutely influenced by NIL - as well as winning, and LSU had the mojo.

That's one reason I like the idea of MSU getting back to being a more developmental program, where guys have breakout seasons as sophomores or juniors.

I prefer the MSU of 2011-2014 over any other era, if I'm taking my chances on teams who might break through. 2015-2016 was more of what we've got right now, a bunch of high-talent babies, they just had more talent. 2017-2018 classes are really what carried us through the national championship, and they were tough for the most part, which culminated with TA and Rowdy getting the COVID draft year.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I read the article didn’t see coach mentioned. I googled O’Sullivan and Paul Reinhart and saw that one of the kids was a bat boy for the baseball team at times… what am I missing here?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They can, but why haven't they before? History is not on your side. Why would they decide they care about baseball now?

I'll give on one area - the portal. 1st or 2nd year guys that have proven to be elite on the college level will have some suitors, and NIL will be a factor. Those guys will be the minority, the Tommy Tanks and Paul Skenes. And both of those guys were absolutely influenced by NIL - as well as winning, and LSU had the mojo.

That's one reason I like the idea of MSU getting back to being a more developmental program, where guys have breakout seasons as sophomores or juniors.

I prefer the MSU of 2011-2014 over any other era, if I'm taking my chances on teams who might break through. 2015-2016 was more of what we've got right now, a bunch of high-talent babies, they just had more talent. 2017-2018 classes are really what carried us through the national championship, and they were tough for the most part, which culminated with TA and Rowdy getting the COVID draft year.

the portal is full of hundreds of players. There will be quality players every year that will impact programs. Our best player last year was as from the portal and Ledbetter is arguably the best offensive guy on the team this year.

there may be only a few studs per say but plenty of impact type guys where middle of the pack sec programs can make a jump pretty quick. Or above average can bounce up a level, etc

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login