I’m jealous of NFL fans..

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
No sarkasterisks.

I mean.. their players don’t quit the team mid season because they aren’t getting what they think they’re owed

They don’t simultaneously cheer a big play while also hoping it doesn’t mean another team is watching and decides to grab him next year.

They aren’t chastised by other fans for not having donated a percentage of their income directly to the players.

They watch games guilt free on Sundays while not being told they’re responsible for the wins or losses.

They don’t go into the draft knowing the top half of the talent will be reserved for other teams who have more fans, bigger stadiums and fatter wallets.

They aren’t being gas lighted by those in charge who are churning out a broken product and saying you’re crazy if you don’t think things are great.

I’m about at the end of the line with college football in its current iteration.

Also.. they can be openly critical of coaches who make $500,000/month without other fans clutching their pearls and claiming you’re going to hurt next year’s team because nobody will want to play for us.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Anyone that claims college football is better than the NFL has no clue what they are talking about. The NFL is king!!!
Quality of play in the NFL is night & day better. Pace of play is too slow though. Need to shave 5 seconds off the play clock, then 5 more if that doesn't help much.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
17-em and especially 17 the suits and lawyers and judges that decided this was the best thing for college athletics!

Collegiate sports destroyed by the unathletic.

I completely agree. I never thought I would reach the day where I prefer pro sports but we are here.
The whole set up is an absolute joke

Same. A lot of the things I dislike about the NFL are just worse in college football. There is no structure, only greed.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Let's do away with all scholarships. Promote the student-athlete narrative and pay the athletes who don't need to go to class under the table.

LIKE GOD INTENDED!!

Why can't we have nice things.

Reactions: 17itdawg and Bneal

Bneal

Nov 5, 2016
Anyone that claims college football is better than the NFL has no clue what they are talking about. The NFL is king!!!
Definitely. Made the switch a few years ago after drowning in our ineptitude at MSU athletics. It took a while but well worth it. NIL has ruined college athletics. No chance to return to normalcy. It’s where we are. Can’t ignore it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What's stopping you from being a nfl fan? Just do it.

I'm still not as serious about the Cowboys as I am State. However I'm realizing that what I spend on State season tickets, parking, food and hotel..... I could make 2 games in Dallas and watch the rest on TV. Win win.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I could make 2 games in Dallas and watch the rest on TV. Win win.
As a fellow State and Cowboys fan, I don't think this is going to leave you any less frustrated... 17 State and Dallas football.

Here's a deal. Save all your football money (tickets, hotels, travel, food, etc.) I'll match it and we can take amazing fishing and golf trips around the world every fall instead.

Who's in?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm still a huge CFB, I don't blame the players for trying to take of themselves, 99% won't sniff the NFL and many will have life long physical ailments. Plus they can't even pursue a professional career in their chosen field until a certain age. I know several folks straight out of high school getting trained in cyber and making near 6 figures by age 20.

CFB players have been abused, for our entertainment, for a hundred years. The CFB product not he field today is better than ever, just enjoy it, I never really got hung up on individual players. For me, it's about the name of the front of the jersey, not the back.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Super Troopers Good Job GIF by Searchlight Pictures

absolutely. The current version of college football sucks and because we suck on top of it. It makes it 100 times worse

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, I agree with some of this and a lot of the overall sentiment, but in a way college is moving a lot more towards the NFL than you'd probably like to think.

No sarkasterisks.

I mean.. their players don’t quit the team mid season because they aren’t getting what they think they’re owed

So, you have plenty of players that flat refuse to start the season midway through their contract because they aren't getting what they think they're owed. I'm not sure that's much different than refusing to burn your redshirt year 3 games into the season. Also, you do have some players that just flat quit midseason. Anthony Brown literally took off his jersey and ran off the field midway through a Buccaneers game 2 years ago.

They don’t simultaneously cheer a big play while also hoping it doesn’t mean another team is watching and decides to grab him next year.

Well... sort of. The NFL has had free agency for decades now and your favorite player on your favorite team will almost inevitably be at risk of being traded, released, and/or becoming a free agent. Sometimes a player's free agency looms large over an entire season and adds to the pressure to win that year because you know that player is probably wearing a different jersey next year. This is one of the ways college is inching towards the NFL. Moving the 2nd year of your 4 year college career isn't that much different than moving the 4th year of your 8 year NFL career.

They aren’t chastised by other fans for not having donated a percentage of their income directly to the players.

Well... while they're not expected to donate a percentage of their income directly to players, they're often expected to have their state or local taxes raised, homes destroyed, or infrastructure wrecked so that billionaires don't have to pay for their own stadiums. So I'm not sure that's specifically better than donating to a collective.

They watch games guilt free on Sundays while not being told they’re responsible for the wins or losses.

This is mostly true, but fans have been blamed for things like teams leaving cities and being unable to attract key free agents.

They don’t go into the draft knowing the top half of the talent will be reserved for other teams who have more fans, bigger stadiums and fatter wallets.

This is largely true, but you do have draftees that hold out for specific teams. Otherwise, Eli would have been a Charger, John Elway would have been a Colt, and Bo Jackson would have been a Buc. It's somewhat rare, but it can and does happen. A draft pick can refuse to play (for example) in Jacksonville and force Jacksonville to either draft them anyway and call their bluff, draft them and trade them immediately, or simply draft somebody else.

They aren’t being gas lighted by those in charge who are churning out a broken product and saying you’re crazy if you don’t think things are great.

Have you listened to many Jerry Jones interviews or press conferences?

I’m about at the end of the line with college football in its current iteration.

Also.. they can be openly critical of coaches making $500,000/month without other fans clutching their pearls and claiming you’re going to hurt next year’s team because nobody will want to play for us.

I agree with you, but I think it's more tied to Mississippi State being terrible with no real hope on the horizon. I don't know that I get the same joy watching Toledo vs Northern Illinois now as I have in the past.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
As a fellow State and Cowboys fan, I don't think this is going to leave you any less frustrated... 17 State and Dallas football.

Here's a deal. Save all your football money (tickets, hotels, travel, food, etc.) I'll match it and we can take amazing fishing and golf trips around the world every fall instead.

Who's in?
Scratch the golf and I'll just come fly fish up your way.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You guys crying that college is professional, will never get what you want. The student-athlete model won’t change. And there are ways to make it work as is.

If college ever tried to be the NFL, they’d get crushed.

Y’all just hear about every single player who does something now, due to 247 media. Plus, MSU is sucking, because they refuse to be different.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I'm still a huge CFB, I don't blame the players for trying to take of themselves, 99% won't sniff the NFL and many will have life long physical ailments. Plus they can't even pursue a professional career in their chosen field until a certain age. I know several folks straight out of high school getting trained in cyber and making near 6 figures by age 20.

CFB players have been abused, for our entertainment, for a hundred years. The CFB product not he field today is better than ever, just enjoy it, I never really got hung up on individual players. For me, it's about the name of the front of the jersey, not the back.
I agree with the beginning and end of this but when you dropped in "abused for our entertainment" I had the same reaction to the often used "on the backs of unpaid labor". Players have been "compensated" and taken care of for a long time and even more so over the last 10 years or so.
- assuming everyone thinks they are in the 1% we'll provide about the finest facilities, nutrition, workout routines, etc. money can buy for both your benefit and ours. (Take a walk through Seal next time you are in town.)
- on the off (good) chance you are in the "99% that won't sniff the NFL" we'll pay for your additional education along the way as well that should help you in the future. If you don't graduate by the time your eligibility is up, we'll also basically pay for it until you do. You'll also have a network of alumni to help as well.
- while you do both of the above, we'll pay for all of your basic living expenses and provide some pretty nice walking around money as well.
I understand the disparity between coaches and admin salaries and player "compensation" but I simply can't agree they are "abused or unpaid". All in all they are living a pretty good life and "the world is their oyster", all paid for while they figure it out.
Back to my agreement with your post, big CFB fan as well (and all college sports) but the only emotional (and financial) connection I have is to MSU regardless of who the players are. I'll do both until I'm simply not interested any more. Not quite there yet.

CDawg08

Oct 5, 2022
The games in NFL are way more competitive across the board. The lack of parity or any push to try and get more of it in CFB is problematic. I’ve watched less CFB overall this year than any I can ever remember. Watch state games and bits and pieces of others but my give a damn is wearing thin for the whole thing.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I agree with the beginning and end of this but when you dropped in "abused for our entertainment" I had the same reaction to the often used "on the backs of unpaid labor". Players have been "compensated" and taken care of for a long time and even more so over the last 10 years or so.
- assuming everyone thinks they are in the 1% we'll provide about the finest facilities, nutrition, workout routines, etc. money can buy for both your benefit and ours. (Take a walk through Seal next time you are in town.)
- on the off (good) chance you are in the "99% that won't sniff the NFL" we'll pay for your additional education along the way as well that should help you in the future. If you don't graduate by the time your eligibility is up, we'll also basically pay for it until you do. You'll also have a network of alumni to help as well.
- while you do both of the above, we'll pay for all of your basic living expenses and provide some pretty nice walking around money as well.
I understand the disparity between coaches and admin salaries and player "compensation" but I simply can't agree they are "abused or unpaid". All in all they are living a pretty good life and "the world is their oyster", all paid for while they figure it out.
Back to my agreement with your post, big CFB fan as well (and all college sports) but the only emotional (and financial) connection I have is to MSU regardless of who the players are. I'll do both until I'm simply not interested any more. Not quite there yet.
Up until NIL/collectives, they had basically the same compensation plan as any other student on a full ride. Maybe they ate better and had better strength training. A kid with a 32 on his ACT stacking schollys on top of schollys, living free in very nice dorms isn't worried about walking with a limp when he's 40 or getting heat stroke at south farm. True they get a lot more poon and some were getting $100 handshakes and few got a new car, but that's about it.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They need to get rid of so many preseason games. They don't play their starters and we watch these teams get flagged constantly for the first four games because they haven't been on the field yet.

Frog14

Sep 1, 2024
Unfortunately, players now do not care about education. They only care about money, and lifting their shirts on the field to show off their imaginary gun.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022

I don't disagree with any of this in the slightest. I just agree with the sentiment that if players are going to get paid, they ought to be fun to watch. The experience should not be a guilt-trip-riddled cringe-fest of embarrassment and woe.

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
No sarkasterisks.

Also.. they can be openly critical of coaches who make $500,000/month without other fans clutching their pearls and claiming you’re going to hurt next year’s team because nobody will want to play for us.
I use to LOVE college football. Now, not so much.

I just hope they can create some kind of rules or contracts that will move it from “Wild West” to somewhat manageable.

Last edited:

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I use to LOVE college football. Now, not so much.
In the last ~5 years I've done a complete 180. I used to be glued to the TV on Saturday, GameDay at 8 AM until PAC-12 after dark. On Sundays I'd watch the Saints play, and that was it. I'd have rather seen UL Monroe vs Eastern South Texas School of Mimes over Cowboys vs. Eagles.

Now I'm opposite. I'll watch any two NFL teams play, but on Saturday if it's not State playing I'm bored. 5 years ago I'd love to watch LSU vs. South Carolina. Tomorrow I doubt I'll make it through the first quarter of UGA/Bama...

Apathy has 100% taken hold. And maybe it's partly because of fantasy football. I can find a reason to be interested in any NFL game now, and the on-field product is incredible. But the thought of watching a random CFB game, no thanks.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Definitely. Made the switch a few years ago after drowning in our ineptitude at MSU athletics. It took a while but well worth it. NIL has ruined college athletics. No chance to return to normalcy. It’s where we are. Can’t ignore it.

I dumped MLB a decade or more ago over free agency and players changing rosters every couple years. I'm an old fart and can remember the days when players played their entire careers with one team or at the most played the last year or two once they were washed up for somebody that needed an aged old QB or receiver.

Then I dumped the NFL back during the start of DEI and taking a knee during the National Anthem days. It was painful at first but I haven't turned on an NFL game in probably 3 years now and I always watched the Saints and Cowboys no matter who they were playing.

Now, I'm getting the same way about college, it just doesn't interest me anymore. When the players start thinking they are bigger than the team or game itself, 17'em. I'll listen to us on the radio tomorrow and watch the YouTube highlights Sunday a.m. but otherwise I just don't care about anybody else that's playing anymore.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login