I bet Mullen's regret in coaching will be leaving State

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Where did the Mullen touch you son?
I’m calling it like I see it. He was the best coach we’ve had in my lifetime, and if he ever went 100% here he would have won some serious hardware. But, he didn’t. His arrogance wouldn’t let him.

He sure as hell made the best of what he had, though. When he wasn’t job shopping.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Each has their own opinion. You are no more an expert than I am. I am not going to be trick into arguing about it.
Curious as to what part you disagree with. The 2014 Playoffs? The fallacy of The Dopester winning 11 games in 2018? Or why we wouldn’t want Loafers or Dopey Dan Mullen back?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We play in the Sugar Bowl in 2018 if he stays
Do we? I'm convinced we squeezed the last bit of HC capability out of Mullen when he was here. What we failed to do is hire an appropriate successor. Instead, we hired a coach who was simply wrong for us in just about every aspect, which was on display at the very first presser.

What would have been intriguing is if Leach succeed Mullen immediately....

Last edited:

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Do we? I'm convinced we squeezed the last bit of HC capability out of Mullen when he was here. What we failed to do is hire an appropriate successor. Instead, we hired a coach who was simply wrong for us in just about every aspect, which was on display at the very first presser.

Lots of what ifs, but I feel like we beat Kentucky and LSU with Mullen. Georgia and Bama made the playoff that year too. Even at 9-3 we probably go to the sugar bowl.

Jul 5, 2020
There were very few games that I was not excited to watch when Mullen was the coach. I felt like we always had a puncher's chance, even against the big teams. I miss feeling that way about the team. Yes, he dropped games he shouldn't have. But I never felt like that until game time. With every other coach (except Jackie for 2-3 years), there are just 2-3 games that are already losses.

Reactions: eckie1

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m calling it like I see it. He was the best coach we’ve had in my lifetime, and if he ever went 100% here he would have won some serious hardware. But, he didn’t. His arrogance wouldn’t let him.

He sure as hell made the best of what he had, though. When he wasn’t job shopping.
Your vision is bad.

Alabama had way more talent than we did. That’s why we lost.

If you think Mullen could have won hardware in Starkville, why don’t you think he could have won natties at Florida?

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Your vision is bad.

Alabama had way more talent than we did. That’s why we lost.

If you think Mullen could have won hardware in Starkville, why don’t you think he could have won natties at Florida?
We lost because we played terrified in the first half. Period.

I clearly explained that none of the Florida schools have been doing anything in football lately. Maybe you should check your own vision, sport.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We lost because we played terrified in the first half. Period.

I clearly explained that none of the Florida schools have been doing anything in football lately. Maybe you should check your own vision, sport.
Yes us losing had nothing to do with Bama being the most talented team in the country and playing them in Tuscaloosa.

it was all bc of Mullen

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Yes us losing had nothing to do with Bama being the most talented team in the country and playing them in Tuscaloosa.

it was all bc of Mullen
Take the day off, Megan. You’ve not made a single valid point, and you’d be doing yourself a favor.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’m totally over my beef with Mullen. He did a lot for our program. The breakup sucked but time has healed those wounds for me. I hope we are able to celebrate him at some point in the not too distant future.
@paindonthurt will bring the doilies and finger sandwiches!

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm sure Bill Snyder could have gone on to a bigger program with a bigger budget and he probably might have won a natty elsewhere or just been very successful, but he chose to stay at Kansas State, retire, then come back and now his name is on the friggin stadium!

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Problem was that, starting with 2014, he was job shopping pretty much on a continual basis because in his mind he felt he was bigger than us after Dak took us to #1. Still amazes me that he was too blind to see what he would have had in 2018 to be willing to stick it out one more year. He seriously could have had another team to contend for a playoff spot but his ego had been bruised by Keenum when we didn't give him the contract extension over the constant job shopping so he was bound and determined to leave at the first decent opportunity. Only reason he didn't leave at the end of the 2016 season was that nobody wanted to hire a coach whose team just finished 5-7.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I will say this. He was one Egg Bowl away from getting into the playoff. So, he proved it could be done. He was offered the same amount of money to stay that Florida was offering. The year after he left was probably going to be his best year at State and with that defense possibly gotten to the play off. Moorehead got to 8 wins with that team. Mullen was a way much better coach. He could have won 11 to 12 games. He can say what he wants but he just wanted to go to Florida. He was smelling what the Grasshopper was cooking. However I would take Mullen back way before trasshopper would be welcomed back.
No. We were out of the playoffs when we lost at Bama. Even if we'd won out, the committee wasn't putting us in over Ohio State, who won their conference and got the 4 seed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Would have been similar. He would have broken down the established offense just like Moorhead. Passing offenses take much longer to install than running offenses, and he didn't have the immediate eligibility portal to help. Probably wouldn't have looked quite as dysfunctional though, and players would have been in better shape.

The right hire would have probably been a defensive minded guy, who would hire an OC smart enough to roll with what he inherited, at first.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
“You know,” Mullen said, “if you had to associate me with coaching somewhere, you say, ‘Hey, where’s, you know, what is your school? What is your school that you coached at?’ I’d say Mississippi State. That would be the school I would claim.”

He also goes into how it wasn't his fault he failed at Florida.

SDS article
Mullen doesn't regret leaving State. He didn't want to be here and tried leaving many times for just about anywhere, like 17n Maryland. Eventually he found a sucker and he parlayed that into generational wealth for his family.

Also, 17 that guy.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Lots of what ifs, but I feel like we beat Kentucky and LSU with Mullen. Georgia and Bama made the playoff that year too. Even at 9-3 we probably go to the sugar bowl.
I default to we would've beaten UF (almost assuredly) and UK (Mullen owned them). Either way, 9-3 is a NY6 berth in 2018 as we take UF's spot. I don't know if we could've gotten the Sugar Bowl without being 11-1, though...UGA got that after losing the SECCG. Would depend on rankings.

Reactions: RiceDawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I would say that he and Croom built our program into one of the most stable in the SEC. Croom had the sense to realize we couldn't recruit against against our $EC brethren so he went the redshirt program route. When Mullen came in we were developing some good players with that program and Mullen kept it going.

yeah, I'm gonna disagree...

Jackie left some issues on the team, but there was way more talent left for Croom then Croom left for Mullen.

Croom was worse than us getting NCAA probation.

And he recruited like **** on the offensive side. Dixson was the only reason we were even decent.

I'll say this again, A real AD would have hired Jimbo, or Urban in after Jackie went 3-9 in 2002. and either would have won 8+ games in 2003. Urban's spread with Omar, Nick, Jerious, and Jenkins would have scored 35+ a game.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Problem was that, starting with 2014, he was job shopping pretty much on a continual basis because in his mind he felt he was bigger than us after Dak took us to #1. Still amazes me that he was too blind to see what he would have had in 2018 to be willing to stick it out one more year. He seriously could have had another team to contend for a playoff spot but his ego had been bruised by Keenum when we didn't give him the contract extension over the constant job shopping so he was bound and determined to leave at the first decent opportunity. Only reason he didn't leave at the end of the 2016 season was that nobody wanted to hire a coach whose team just finished 5-7.
So he did what 99% of coaches would have done in his position.

I didn’t like it. Didn’t think it was smart.

But 99% of coaches would have done the same.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
So he did what 99% of coaches would have done in his position.

I didn’t like it. Didn’t think it was smart.

But 99% of coaches would have done the same.
Totally disagree that 99% of coaches would have left a P5 job they were sitting on that would be returning a likely Top 10 team the next season. I think 99% of coaches in his position would have left after 2018 when all those 1st round defensive guys plus Fitz were going to be gone.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
yeah, I'm gonna disagree...

Jackie left some issues on the team, but there was way more talent left for Croom then Croom left for Mullen.

Croom was worse than us getting NCAA probation.

And he recruited like **** on the offensive side. Dixson was the only reason we were even decent.

I'll say this again, A real AD would have hired Jimbo, or Urban in after Jackie went 3-9 in 2002. and either would have won 8+ games in 2003. Urban's spread with Omar, Nick, Jerious, and Jenkins would have scored 35+ a game.
I never said Croom was a great recruiter but he did understand that we had to recruit raw talent and develop that talent. I wasn't saying Croom was a good hire either but he did understand our limitations. He redshirted more players than we had in the past waiting on them to develop. He did help stabilize our program which is what I was pointing out.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I never said Croom was a great recruiter but he did understand that we had to recruit raw talent and develop that talent. I wasn't saying Croom was a good hire either but he did understand our limitations. He redshirted more players than we had in the past waiting on them to develop. He did help stabilize our program which is what I was pointing out.
"Stabilize our program" was a low bar, and the players he ran off cost us wins for 3 years.

Every coach at MSU knows you have to Develop talent at MSU. That's the state of Mississippi high schools.

And for all his redshirting, we had A LOT of true freshmen playing in 2009, so I think you are not remembering.

True freshmen or first year juco's on Offense in 2009:
Bumphis
Heavens
Berry
Smith
Hanrahan
Wilder

On Defense
KJ Wright
Chris White
McPhee
Banks
Cox
Langston
Boyd
Lawrence

14 true freshmen for Mullen. Croom did a good job with linemen.

Croom was the worst coach at the worst time for us. We threw away everything Jackie did in the late 90's because we had a incompetent AD and an absent presidents (Portera and Lee put us back worse than Croom did). Zach would have fired Jackie in 2002

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
"Stabilize our program" was a low bar, and the players he ran off cost us wins for 3 years.

Every coach at MSU knows you have to Develop talent at MSU. That's the state of Mississippi high schools.

And for all his redshirting, we had A LOT of true freshmen playing in 2009, so I think you are not remembering.

True freshmen or first year juco's on Offense in 2009:
Bumphis
Heavens
Berry
Smith
Hanrahan
Wilder

On Defense
KJ Wright
Chris White
McPhee
Banks
Cox
Langston
Boyd
Lawrence

14 true freshmen for Mullen. Croom did a good job with linemen.

Croom was the worst coach at the worst time for us. We threw away everything Jackie did in the late 90's because we had a incompetent AD and an absent presidents (Portera and Lee put us back worse than Croom did). Zach would have fired Jackie in 2002
Jackie threw away everything Jackie did in the late 90's. His last season was worse than any of Crooms. The two previous were just as bad. When you've got players making drug deals from the sidelines you know things have come off the rails. Croom needed to run some off and it helped our program. Maybe you are misrembering.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Totally disagree that 99% of coaches would have left a P5 job they were sitting on that would be returning a likely Top 10 team the next season. I think 99% of coaches in his position would have left after 2018 when all those 1st round defensive guys plus Fitz were going to be gone.
Maybe maybe not. My 99% comment was about leaving msu for a better job.

The timing of that better job happened to be before 2018 and it happened to be Florida where he had history and they had some talent.

Lot of coaches would have taken than opportunity. Mullen isn’t some unicorn there.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Jackie threw away everything Jackie did in the late 90's. His last season was worse than any of Crooms. The two previous were just as bad. When you've got players making drug deals from the sidelines you know things have come off the rails. Croom needed to run some off and it helped our program. Maybe you are misrembering.
If that had been Croom's Criteria for kicking off some players, fine. But he kicked off some for being late to a meeting.

And maybe you should read what I said. Jackie's last season was 2003.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Maybe maybe not. My 99% comment was about leaving msu for a better job.

The timing of that better job happened to be before 2018 and it happened to be Florida where he had history and they had some talent.

Lot of coaches would have taken than opportunity. Mullen isn’t some unicorn there.
Fully agree that Mullen was going to leave MSU for a 'blue blood' type job at some point. Mullen's ego was never going to be satisfied staying at MSU for the long term. Arnett at least comes across as a guy who very much appreciates the job he has and, if treated well, would be willing to stay quite a while without actively pursuing other opportunities (doesn't mean others won't pursue him).

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
“You know,” Mullen said, “if you had to associate me with coaching somewhere, you say, ‘Hey, where’s, you know, what is your school? What is your school that you coached at?’ I’d say Mississippi State. That would be the school I would claim.”

He also goes into how it wasn't his fault he failed at Florida.

SDS article
Never liked the way he "flirted" every time we had a good season, but I also understood. I hope one day our fanbase appreciates him and realizes he had to do what he did. As fans we get so emotionally tied to coaches and fail to realize / fully understand, at the end of the day its their job, their life and they have to do what's best for them and their family.

Reactions: AROB44

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
He may regret it, but he owed it to himself to take a big job and see if he could win a NC. I bet he regrets taking the Florida job more than he regrets leaving State. Should’ve maybe hung around for a little longer and waited some something a little more stable to open up, IMO.
What he should regret is jumping like a starving catfish as loaferz contingency instead of staying one more year at State and possibly challenging Bama for the West title.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
When I think of player development it can be two things players that got drafted or players that would never get drafted but became good college football players. Like Chris Relf.

We averaged 15.2 ppg our last year under Croom so we didn’t have any players that got better. Dixon actually got worse.

The most telling thing is Croom did not have a single player drafted his last two years. That is the only time in our history that we did not have someone drafted in consecutive years.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
When I think of player development it can be two things players that got drafted or players that would never get drafted but became good college football players. Like Chris Relf.

We averaged 15.2 ppg our last year under Croom so we didn’t have any players that got better. Dixon actually got worse.

The most telling thing is Croom did not have a single player drafted his last two years. That is the only time in our history that we did not have someone drafted in consecutive years.
Actually it was only his last year 2008 that he didn't have a player drafted. He was gone in 2009. Jamar Chaney and Dixon were drafted later. I'm not trying to change history. I didn't like Croom as a head coach. His offensive game plan was a disaster and why anyone on God's green earth would put Henig in at QB in the SEC is beyond me. The only thing he did right in my opinion was his redshirt program. Jackie had lost control of the players his last 3 years. Our program was a mess when Croom came in.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

I wish he would have stayed one more year. He would have set the record for wins by a State coach and his last year would have been a good one. However, I doubt he regrets rolling in the dough Florida paid him.

Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login