I bet Mullen's regret in coaching will be leaving State

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Actually it was only his last year 2008 that he didn't have a player drafted. He was gone in 2009. Jamar Chaney and Dixon were drafted later. I'm not trying to change history. I didn't like Croom as a head coach. His offensive game plan was a disaster and why anyone on God's green earth would put Henig in at QB in the SEC is beyond me. The only thing he did right in my opinion was his redshirt program. Jackie had lost control of the players his last 3 years. Our program was a mess when Croom came in.
1691563680765.jpeg
So he coached in 2007, and in the 2008 draft which is the NFL draft that selects players from college football that played in the 2007 season there were no players selected from Mississippi State. He coached again in 2008, and, again, I’m not sure if you understand how this works, because you seem dense, but the draft happens the “year” after the season, in 2009 we again had no players drafted. This is really not that hard. Croom 17’ing sucks

Reactions: ChE1997

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
View attachment 381210
So he coached in 2007, and in the 2008 draft which is the NFL draft that selects players from college football that played in the 2007 season there were no players selected from Mississippi State. He coached again in 2008, and, again, I’m not sure if you understand how this works, because you seem dense, but the draft happens the “year” after the season, in 2009 we again had no players drafted. This is really not that hard. Croom 17’ing sucks
My mistake then. You are right because I haven't followed the NFL in years. I don't give a 5hit about the draft or the NFL. I only watch college sports. AFA Croom being a terrible coach I guess you didn't read the rest of my post. On that we agree. On the redshirt program we disagree. I didn't realize some On here hated the man this much. Have a good day.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My mistake then. You are right because I haven't followed the NFL in years. I don't give a 5hit about the draft or the NFL. I only watch college sports. AFA Croom being a terrible coach I guess you didn't read the rest of my post. On that we agree. On the redshirt program we disagree. I didn't realize some On here hated the man this much. Have a good day.
You didn’t realize that some hated him that much? There are like 25 usernames that make fun of him. The SPS magazine makes fun of him by sticking him in inconspicuous places. I realize I’m beating a dead horse here and I don’t mean to be so aggressive but the recent rewriting of Croom history makes me furious. I’m sure when he drives that golf cart into the Upper Room we will see all kinds of posts and mentions about how he turned our program around and did things the right way. Bullshlt, he was a lazy *** coach that somehow went to a bowl game thanks to Anthony Dixon, Derek Pegues, and Ed Orgeron. Then the next year opened the season with a loss in Ruston because his senior star DB was missing class.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
yeah, I'm gonna disagree...

Jackie left some issues on the team, but there was way more talent left for Croom then Croom left for Mullen.

Croom was worse than us getting NCAA probation.

And he recruited like **** on the offensive side. Dixson was the only reason we were even decent.

I'll say this again, A real AD would have hired Jimbo, or Urban in after Jackie went 3-9 in 2002. and either would have won 8+ games in 2003. Urban's spread with Omar, Nick, Jerious, and Jenkins would have scored 35+ a game.
This. There is really nothing positive we can attribute to the Croom Error.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Jackie threw away everything Jackie did in the late 90's. His last season was worse than any of Crooms. The two previous were just as bad. When you've got players making drug deals from the sidelines you know things have come off the rails. Croom needed to run some off and it helped our program. Maybe you are misrembering.
I'm making no defense for Jackie. His last two years were as bad as anyone in our history. But Jackie never lost to Maine.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Fully agree that Mullen was going to leave MSU for a 'blue blood' type job at some point. Mullen's ego was never going to be satisfied staying at MSU for the long term. Arnett at least comes across as a guy who very much appreciates the job he has and, if treated well, would be willing to stay quite a while without actively pursuing other opportunities (doesn't mean others won't pursue him).
Mullens ego
Nick sabans ego
Blah blah blah

all good coaches have egos

if Arnett has a similar tenure and success as Dan Mullen, it’s gonna be hard to keep him after 9 years.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This. There is really nothing positive we can attribute to the Croom Error.
Jackie left some talent but it was falling apart. Bad.

Croom sucked but Mullen was in a decent spot when he took over. If he had even an above average qb we have a winning season in 2009 and 2010 is probably a 10 win season.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Croom sucked but Mullen was in a decent spot when he took over. If he had even an above average qb we have a winning season in 2009 and 2010 is probably a 10 win season.
Didn't Croom run off a lot of the talent?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
When I think of player development it can be two things players that got drafted or players that would never get drafted but became good college football players. Like Chris Relf.

We averaged 15.2 ppg our last year under Croom so we didn’t have any players that got better. Dixon actually got worse.

The most telling thing is Croom did not have a single player drafted his last two years. That is the only time in our history that we did not have someone drafted in consecutive years.
Offensive line is the only place Croom "Developed" any players. and I think most of that was making them run block for his dumbass 1970's pro style offense

Croom was a horrible hire, by a Horrible AD.
Slick Morton is the only worse decision in MSU history. I cannot imagine a worse hire and it's assinine that Croom was not fired in 2005.

Ole miss and the college board crippled MSU with Portera (and his let's raise admissions standards and reduce the number of students) and Lee on purpose for Zach hiring Jackie and MSU not knowing our place anymore.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Actually it was only his last year 2008 that he didn't have a player drafted. He was gone in 2009. Jamar Chaney and Dixon were drafted later. I'm not trying to change history. I didn't like Croom as a head coach. His offensive game plan was a disaster and why anyone on God's green earth would put Henig in at QB in the SEC is beyond me. The only thing he did right in my opinion was his redshirt program. Jackie had lost control of the players his last 3 years. Our program was a mess when Croom came in.
Croom was an offensive coach that took us from a bottom 20 offense under Jackie's last 3 years, to a bottom 5 offense for 3 of his 4 years, ( the other 2 were still bottom 20.

And Jackie redshirted players.

And to make sure you understand, Jackie should have been fired November 3, 2002. If not before when his best player showed up to camp 40 lb overweight.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

If we'd made an average hire in 2003 or 2004, from coaches that WANTED TO COME HERE, we would be a decade ahead of where we are now.

Mullen got a FAR worse team from Croom than Croom got from Jackie. If Mullen (Urban) had been our coach in 2004, we'd have won 9 games.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Offensive line is the only place Croom "Developed" any players. and I think most of that was making them run block for his dumbass 1970's pro style offense

Croom was a horrible hire, by a Horrible AD.
Slick Morton is the only worse decision in MSU history. I cannot imagine a worse hire and it's assinine that Croom was not fired in 2005.

Ole miss and the college board crippled MSU with Portera (and his let's raise admissions standards and reduce the number of students) and Lee on purpose for Zach hiring Jackie and MSU not knowing our place anymore.
Did you know? Croom coached 4 of our only 7 5 star composite recruits and only one of them (Norwood) got drafted. The other 3 that played under Mullen and Leach got drafted in the first 2 rounds with Simmons and Cross going first round, and Chris Jones being a top 100 NFL player

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If we'd made an average hire in 2003 or 2004, from coaches that WANTED TO COME HERE, we would be a decade ahead of where we are now.

Mullen got a FAR worse team from Croom than Croom got from Jackie. If Mullen (Urban) had been our coach in 2004, we'd have won 9 games.
We will just have to disagree. Croom inherited a turd when he came to State. The inmates were in charge of the prison situation. Croom did bring stability with his program. He just couldn't coach. He owes all of his wins to his defensive coordinators who he repeatedly put in bad positions in games with his anemic offense.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We will just have to disagree. Croom inherited a turd when he came to State. The inmates were in charge of the prison situation. Croom did bring stability with his program. He just couldn't coach. He owes all of his wins to his defensive coordinators who he repeatedly put in bad positions in games with his anemic offense.
The death penalty and us not having a program for a year would have done the same thing, and been less impactful than Crooms 5 years...

• Haha

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
If Dan had learned to manage his ego and figure out how to recruit just slightly better, he could have eventually found himself mentioned as one of the long time top Coaches of all time. He apparently couldn’t do either one and now he is out of coaching. It’s a real shame for him and a real what could have been for us.
It’s is kinda nuts to think that Mullen isn’t a coach anymore. That guy was highly regarded at the time Florida picked him up and now he’s out of the business. We all know that he’s kind of an *** but I’ve seen plenty of other working coaches who are just as bad or worse.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
JWS took us out of the cellar we had been inhabiting for so long. I can't see why he ended up where he was when he left, but he lost complete control of the program after Kiefer died.

Croom cleaned out the program and gave us a decent starting place, but he couldn't fix the program any further because of his loyalty to his Offensive coordinator buddy. Boy, it was offensive. I wonder what Conner and Norwood could've done in a spread offense.

Dan did a great job building this program up while he was here. He proved we could find our way out of the bottom of the SEC everybody else had told us we could not. He had a real problem winning the big game against anything in the upper Tier.

I don't have any problem that he kept job hunting or left; it was the way he left that I don't like.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
When you think about it Mullen may have been fortunate in many ways. He was hired by Florida and it wasn't a good fit. He was fired with a huge buyout at the start of the most chaotic time in the history of college football (coinciding with Florida's archrival's becoming a dynasty) and can sit comfortably on the sidelines and let the dust settle before he get's back in the game. Fate may have dealt him a pretty good hand after all.

Reactions: paindonthurt

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
JWS took us out of the cellar we had been inhabiting for so long. I can't see why he ended up where he was when he left, but he lost complete control of the program after Kiefer died.

Croom cleaned out the program and gave us a decent starting place, but he couldn't fix the program any further because of his loyalty to his Offensive coordinator buddy. Boy, it was offensive. I wonder what Conner and Norwood could've done in a spread offense.

Dan did a great job building this program up while he was here. He proved we could find our way out of the bottom of the SEC everybody else had told us we could not. He had a real problem winning the big game against anything in the upper Tier.

I don't have any problem that he kept job hunting or left; it was the way he left that I don't like.
Norwood was only our second best back in 2003. Croom ran off our best one.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Who was a huge POS. That’s not an opinion that’s a fact.

He was passing out fake 100s on many occasions. Got into trouble multiple times.

Needed to go.
But he kicked him for not showing up to a meeting.... No for the fake bill's ... the fake bills were under Jackie..

Croom would not elaborate on the details leading up to his decision. However, the junior from Atlanta was supposed to meet with Croom earlier this week, but he failed to show up for the meeting.
I don't mean to defend Nick, But to show Croom's "Cleaned up our program" was not as helpful as it was sold.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
But he kicked him for not showing up to a meeting.... No for the fake bill's ... the fake bills were under Jackie..

I don't mean to defend Nick, But to show Croom's "Cleaned up our program" was not as helpful as it was sold.
Nick Turner should have been off the team.

Croom cleaned up a lot of what Jackie left.

That’s a fact.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

He let him hang himself. He had already done enough damage by the time he got kicked off.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
It’s is kinda nuts to think that Mullen isn’t a coach anymore. That guy was highly regarded at the time Florida picked him up and now he’s out of the business. We all know that he’s kind of an *** but I’ve seen plenty of other working coaches who are just as bad or worse.
Bobby Petrino

Reactions: BigDawg0074

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Nick Turner should have been off the team.

Croom cleaned up a lot of what Jackie left.

That’s a fact.
And he destroyed our program for 5 years...

Moorhead left our program in a mess with inmate running the asylum.

It took Leach 1 year? While installing a completely different offense?

That's a fact.

We would have been better off not having a football team and starting over in 2004 than having Croom as a coach.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And he destroyed our program for 5 years...

Moorhead left our program in a mess with inmate running the asylum.

It took Leach 1 year? While installing a completely different offense?

That's a fact.

We would have been better off not having a football team and starting over in 2004 than having Croom as a coach.
Croom sucked.
Sherrill left the program in a crap situation.

Both things are true.

Reactions: ChE1997
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login