I love him, but….

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Kirk Cousins has spent the past 3 years throwing to the best WR in the NFL and handing off to a Top 5 RB in the NFL. Would like to see how well Dak would do with Cousins’ weapons.
Again.... don't bring facts into the discussion. Oh yeah, the Vikings OL is better than Dallas' as well. Dak has about 1.5 seconds to throw the ball on every snap with Elliot in the game. Last night proved it again.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Reminds me of when the city of Memphis was going to deal with Chris Finch on behalf of Desmond Bane:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It would’ve been a 54 yard attempt. Not a sure field goal by any means. And they picked up the first down anyway. Not the kicker’s fault Dak followed that up with a red zone interception.

They were on the 35, so 52 yards. Long, but he's 9 of 11 on the year from 50+.

They kick it in that situation all year and he makes 80%.

It's on him, not Dak.

Why is there so much effort here on an MSU fan site to make every17inthing Dak's fault?

He's got plenty of faults, but way more strengths, and a nutty kicker definitely ain't his fault.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Dak is plenty good enough to win a SB with, but the whole world acts like it's this huge issue that he can't put a mediocre offense on his own back and carry them to one. What QB in the league can? You can count them on one finger - Mahomes. Dallas left 4 points on the field last night due to kicking issues, and still put up more points on the road vs. the league's best defense than Josh Allen put up at home against a much lesser defense than SF's. But Allen's in little ol Buffalo, and Dak is in Big D so the spotlight shines brighter.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I felt like I was watching the 2014 Alabama game all over again. Dak throwing the ball to the other team killing all chances for a win.

Reactions: HRMSU

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m a Saints fan that loves Sean Payton but I do think it’s silly to assume he would magically fix the Cowboys’ playoff issues. Payton could write a book on horrible ways to lose in the postseason. At least I’ll always have the 2009-10 team.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I’m a Saints fan that loves Sean Payton but I do think it’s silly to assume he would magically fix the Cowboys’ playoff issues. Payton could write a book on horrible ways to lose in the postseason. At least I’ll always have the 2009-10 team.
Sean pretty solid at getting home playoff games though, which is what your goal should be.

Sean will be a bronco by the end of the week though

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dak is plenty good enough to win a SB with, but the whole world acts like it's this huge issue that he can't put a mediocre offense on his own back and carry them to one. What QB in the league can? You can count them on one finger - Mahomes. Dallas left 4 points on the field last night due to kicking issues, and still put up more points on the road vs. the league's best defense than Josh Allen put up at home against a much lesser defense than SF's. But Allen's in little ol Buffalo, and Dak is in Big D so the spotlight shines brighter.
Mahomes hasn't been as good since they let Tyreek go. Cinci is going to handle them. KC has one great playmaker outside QB. Their defense can only do so much. Kingsbury got fired but they let go of Kirk and Goedert. Look at Russell Wilson without playmakers. Look what the Rams did last year for Stafford with those playmakers. Got to have playmakers. Dallas WR had the least separation of any in the league and Dak is throwing to more tight windows.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Get out of here with that. He got a $66 million signing bonus. He made more than $20 million.
Not too mention joe burrow is only down at 9 mil. He will get paid soon though. Dak is in the top 8 in contracts. There are more over rated qbs with better contracts than him though like Watson and Wilson. Mahomes and Allen are just ahead of him. He is making big money though. They expect him to lead and be more consistent. Just like the other qbs at the top

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get out of here with that. He got a $66 million signing bonus. He made more than $20 million.
Exactly. And we all want him to continue to be paid big. That's why last night was so important. It was there for them to win, and for Dak to continue to fleece Jerruh of his cash.

Is he a good QB? Yes. But good QBs don't last that long with that money on the table.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Mahomes hasn't been as good since they let Tyreek go. Cinci is going to handle them. KC has one great playmaker outside QB. Their defense can only do so much. Kingsbury got fired but they let go of Kirk and Goedert. Look at Russell Wilson without playmakers. Look what the Rams did last year for Stafford with those playmakers. Got to have playmakers. Dallas WR had the least separation of any in the league and Dak is throwing to more tight windows.
Mahomes from last year to this year...
td% ip
Int% down
Passing yards up (career high)
Yds/att up
Passer rating up
QBR up

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Put me down as not thinking that Sean Payton is the answer. The Brady/Belichick debate has pretty much been settled, in my opinion. I think that Payton would have been similarly exposed in New Orleans if he stuck around longer after Brees retired. Also, the fact that he’s job shopping so soon after his “retirement” makes it look to me like he just quit when things got hard.

Reactions: msstatelp1

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He made $20 million this season, which is actually below market for what he’s been.

Regardless of salary from Dallas, he's one of the highest paid athletes in the world. This was from 2021.

Forbes adds up Dak's last-12-months income to be $107.5 million.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...tt-explodes-forbes-highest-paid-athletes-list

I'm all for him making as much money as he can - and being QB for the Cowboys has a lot to do with that. While I'd love for him to play somewhere else, it would be huge financially if he could take Dallas back to the SB.

vicksburg

Sep 28, 2022
IMO, a lot of Dallas' problems is Kellen Moore. His vanilla offense leaves a lot to be desired. I know Moore didn't directlly make Dak throw the int's, but maybe with a little better play calls previously, Dak wouldn't feel the need to force the ball on 3rd and long.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

He’s made $95 million over the past 2 years, total. That’s after making about $35 million in his first 5 years in the league put together. He way outperformed his pay for that period. The market for QB’s is that the top 10-12 guys get $40-$50 million per year on their 2nd contract now. 2 years from now, its gonna be $50-$60 million. 2 years after that, its gonna be $60-$70 million. He’s going to be getting paid on the low end of that for 2023 and 2024.

Its way oversimplifying it to say “well he’s made this much money the past 2 years, he needs to be better”. Nobody was giving him $35 million extra for making the Pro Bowl as a rookie. He has more than earned his pay throughout his career.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Don't bring facts into this. Every single QB in the playoffs had a better WR rotation and OL. Not to mention Pollard going down. Huge change. Dallas needs to just cut Elliot. He brings nothing to the game.

Elliiot will be cut. The only way he won’t is if he gets traded to a team that agrees to take on some of the cap hit (unlikely), or he agrees to play for like 90% less than he’s due in his contract (even less likely).

Dak’s cap hit jumps from $19 million this year to $49 million next year, so there’s no way Zeke and his $17 million due (if he’s not cut) can remain on the roster on his current contract. On that same note, its hard to believe but Dak is already halfway through his painstakingly negotiated 4-year deal. So, it would behoove the Jones’ to go ahead and nail down an extension. That would give them the opportunity to both lock in more years at a discount, and also spread the cap hit for his 2023/2024 salary into future years. But, they won’t, because they will only do the opposite of what is best for the franchise.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
He made $20 million this season, which is actually below market for what he’s been.
The Cowboys don't pay Dak for what he's done or been. They pay him for what he'll deliver. 3 losses at the Divisional Playoff level is where its at so far.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Cowboys don't pay Dak for what he's done or been. They pay him for what he'll deliver. 3 losses at the Divisional Playoff level is where its at so far.

They are paying him the market rate for what a Top 10 QB in the NFL makes on their 2nd contract. Period. It’s based on what every QB not named Pat Mahomes made on their 2nd contracts that were signed around the time Dak signed his. And even Mahomes is not at the top of the list currently. Has nothing to do with some made up target level of postseason achievement.

Maybe Dallas is good enough to make the playoffs, make the divisional round, make the conference championship, or win the SB….but all that depends on a lot more than just the QB or even the players as a whole. You draft a QB that becomes a proven commodity, you have to pay to keep them because there are only about 10-12 of them on planet earth at any one time. Simple economics.

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Put me down as not thinking that Sean Payton is the answer. The Brady/Belichick debate has pretty much been settled, in my opinion. I think that Payton would have been similarly exposed in New Orleans if he stuck around longer after Brees retired. Also, the fact that he’s job shopping so soon after his “retirement” makes it look to me like he just quit when things got hard.
Sean is a great coach, and Brees was a great qb. Brees wasn't great before Sean, so I think it was the combination that made both of them really, really good.
They are paying him the market rate for what a Top 10 QB in the NFL makes on their 2nd contract. Period. It’s based on what every QB not named Pat Mahomes made on their 2nd contracts that were signed around the time Dak signed his. Has nothing to do with some made up target level of postseason achievement. Maybe Dallas is good enough to make the playoffs, make the divisional round, make the conference championship, or win the SB….but all that depends on a lot more than just the QB or even the players as a whole. You draft a QB that becomes a proven commodity, you have to pay to keep them because there are only about 10-12 of them on planet earth at any one time. Simple economics.
once they get that 2nd contract though, it becomes much harder to get a supporting cast. Once that 2nd contract is signed, the qb is expected to raise the level of play around them.

Reactions: HRMSU and Mr. Cook

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
once they get that 2nd contract though, it becomes much harder to get a supporting cast. Once that 2nd contract is signed, the qb is expected to raise the level of play around them.

That’s only true if owners / GM are negligent in doing that 2nd contract in a timely manner. Dallas could have signed Dak for something like 6 or 7 years / $20~25 million per year (or less) after 2017 and saved a ton of money against the cap over the long haul. Instead, they got greedy and let it go to the 11th hour, had to apply the franchise tag for a year, then had to pay the updated market price for a relatively short term deal. And, they are going to have to do the same thing again if they don’t get an extension done now.

For the opposite end of the spectrum, look how KC handled Mahomes. Huge long term deal locked in at the current market rate. That’s how you do the 2nd contract. Can’t pay Dak peanuts for half a decade and then expect him to do you a favor on his first chance to make big money. These are human beings, not robots.

Last edited:

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Dak goes hot and cold, I still think he's more than serviceable at QB. I'd love for the Cowboys to deep six Kellen and hire Dandy Dan for OC. That might make a huge difference. Zeke is a shell of himself. Time to invest in a backup for Pollard.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That’s only true if owners / GM are negligent in doing that 2nd contract in a timely manner. Dallas could have signed Dak for something like 6 or 7 years / $20~25 million per year (or less) after 2017 and saved a ton of money against the cap over the long haul. Instead, they got greedy and let it go to the 11th hour, had to apply the franchise tag for a year, then had to pay the updated market price for a relatively short term deal. And, they are going to have to do the same thing again if they don’t get an extension done now.

For the opposite end of the spectrum, look how KC handled Mahomes. Huge long term deal locked in at the current market rate. That’s how you do the 2nd contract. Can’t pay Dak peanuts for half a decade and then expect him to do you a favor on his first chance to make big money. These are human beings, not robots.
You sound like a former GM for the Cleveland Browns

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You sound like a former GM for the Cleveland Browns

Or current GM for the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, LA Rams, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, or any other team that’s had to sign a QB to a 2nd / 3rd contract in the past 5 f-ing years.

To humor you, you say he’s getting paid for “what he’s going to do”. Where does his $40 million average salary (only 8th highest in the league, and falling BTW) place the expectation for what he’s going to do? Super Bowl champion? NFC champion? Just win the division a few times? And if he doesn’t achieve whatever the mark is, then what?

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
San Fran is clearly one of the 4 best teams in the league. They were at home and should have won. Which they did.

This isn't on Dak. He's earning his pay.

I'll say it, yesterday was on Dak. 2 better throws one to TY instead of CeeDee and the other leading Gallup better and Cowboys pull it out. If he throws away the first pick and doesn't force the red zone pick it's quite possibly a two score Cowboys victory. 4 bad decisions in the biggest moments of his career. He had a bad game at the worst time. He's a fantastic dude, great teammate and good NFL QB. He's not elite and he's not capable of putting any NFL team on his back and carrying them to the SB.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
IMO, a lot of Dallas' problems is Kellen Moore. His vanilla offense leaves a lot to be desired. I know Moore didn't directlly make Dak throw the int's, but maybe with a little better play calls previously, Dak wouldn't feel the need to force the ball on 3rd and long.

^ this
Dak running that Shanahan offense would be something to see....sorta like the run heavy Dallas offense he ran to the #1 seed his rookie year.

Reactions: vicksburg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'll say it, yesterday was on Dak. 2 better throws one to TY instead of CeeDee and the other leading Gallup better and Cowboys pull it out. If he throws away the first pick and doesn't force the red zone pick it's quite possibly a two score Cowboys victory. 4 bad decisions in the biggest moments of his career. He had a bad game at the worst time. He's a fantastic dude, great teammate and good NFL QB. He's not elite and he's not capable of putting any NFL team on his back and carrying them to the SB.
I'll say it one last time other than cherry picking two or three throws during the ball game, who did he have he could depend upon outside of Lamb and Schultz yesterday.

Now turn around and ask the same question of Mr. Irreverent. How many people he had available, who could actually get open against the defense they were playing against, he could depend upon to run the right route, get open, and catch the ball.

Outside of two or three throws to Gallup there was nobody else Dak could depend upon, and I think it was five or six defensive backs they could cover the other two guys, so keep telling me how Dak could teach somebody else to catch the goddamn ball in one weekend against San Francisco. I'm not saying that Dak is great but I'm getting sick and damn tired of people acting like he threw the game away because he couldn't find somebody open the throw the damn ball to.

Play the game and give him Christian McCaffrey and Debo Samuel and see what happens

I could play quarterback for San Francisco right now and you would think I was the greatest rookie QB evah.

BTW... Who was handling Bosa and the SF blitzes. Dak I guess.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I'll say it one last time other than cherry picking two or three throws during the ball game, who did he have he could depend upon outside of Lamb and Schultz yesterday.

Now turn around and ask the same question of Mr. Irreverent. How many people he had available, who could actually get open against the defense they were playing against, he could depend upon to run the right route, get open, and catch the ball.

Outside of two or three throws to Gallup there was nobody else Dak could depend upon, and I think it was five or six defensive backs they could cover the other two guys, so keep telling me how Dak could teach somebody else to catch the goddamn ball in one weekend against San Francisco. I'm not saying that Dak is great but I'm getting sick and damn tired of people acting like he threw the game away because he couldn't find somebody open the throw the damn ball to.

Play the game and give him Christian McCaffrey and Debo Samuel and see what happens

I could play quarterback for San Francisco right now and you would think I was the greatest rookie QB evah.

BTW... Who was handling Bosa and the SF blitzes. Dak I guess.

Not going to criticize the receiver argument too much other than what I said earlier. The plays were there to be made yesterday even though what you say is true and he didn't make them. It doesn't mean he sucks it just means the margin for error is pretty dang thin which may be your overall point( not trying to put words in your mouth).

He does need better weapons and a better OC not a first time same age best friend OC. For the record McCaffery and Debo were pretty much shut down by that Dallas D. McCaffery did his damage late on one drive when the Dallas D was gassed.

The game was very winnable but Dak is not a QB that can elevate mediocre receivers and average to good O-lines. That's ok because that population of QBs is very small. I said it before but if Dak was in a Shanahan run heavy scheme or Dallas had the o-line to dominate the line of scrimmage and pound like they did his rookie year then it all wouldn't constantly fall on his shoulders. Look, Aikman could have lit up the stat sheet but he didn't have to because he could hand it off and he always had a great to good D during SB years. Dallas D is getting there now they need to shore up the line elevate Pollard and shift to more of a physical offense.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
David Carr: "If I know what routes the Cowboys are running by their formations, so do opposing defenses. Dak has no chance when the defense knows that. Dallas has the most vanilla offense in the NFL."

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not going to criticize the receiver argument too much other than what I said earlier. The plays were there to be made yesterday even though what you say is true and he didn't make them. It doesn't mean he sucks it just means the margin for error is pretty dang thin which may be your overall point( not trying to put words in your mouth).

He does need better weapons and a better OC not a first time same age best friend OC. For the record McCaffery and Debo were pretty much shut down by that Dallas D. McCaffery did his damage late on one drive when the Dallas D was gassed.

The game was very winnable but Dak is not a QB that can elevate mediocre receivers and average to good O-lines. That's ok because that population of QBs is very small. I said it before but if Dak was in a Shanahan run heavy scheme or Dallas had the o-line to dominate the line of scrimmage and pound like they did his rookie year then it all wouldn't constantly fall on his shoulders. Look, Aikman could have lit up the stat sheet but he didn't have to because he could hand it off and he always had a great to good D during SB years. Dallas D is getting there now they need to shore up the line elevate Pollard and shift to more of a physical offense.
I won't disagree with you either. He's not the top level QB that could have maybe have won that game but he also is not the only reason why they lost. I am just tired of hearing that he is responsible for losing with the offensive style they run. He at least needed a running game. He's not going to beat that defense with the pass plays and players they ran.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Or current GM for the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, LA Rams, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, or any other team that’s had to sign a QB to a 2nd / 3rd contract in the past 5 f-ing years.

To humor you, you say he’s getting paid for “what he’s going to do”. Where does his $40 million average salary (only 8th highest in the league, and falling BTW) place the expectation for what he’s going to do? Super Bowl champion? NFC champion? Just win the division a few times? And if he doesn’t achieve whatever the mark is, then what?
I don't have humor

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login