I simulated the entire season.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I used ESPN's FPI probabilities for all 12 games of all 16 SEC teams. I'm going to update my simulation every week with results and updated future game probabilities.

It is interesting how variable the results are.

Simulation 1 (fairly typical result):
Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 5.19.35 PM.png
Oklahoma beat Tennessee in the head-to-head to earn a spot against Georgia in the SEC championship game.

Simulation 2 (SEC beats itself up):
Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 5.23.27 PM.png
How many (if any) 9-3 SEC teams are in the CFP in this scenario?

Simulation 3 (crowded at the top):
Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 5.27.33 PM.png
Does a 10-2 SEC team get left out in this scenario?

Simulation 4 (SEC tiebreaker hell):
Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 5.34.26 PM.png
I think Tennessee would emerge as the #2 team: Tennessee beat Alabama, Alabama beat South Carolina, South Carolina beat Ole Miss. Someone check me on that. I could be confused as to how they would handle a four-way tie.

My takeaways:
  • Fairly likely that the new SEC tiebreaker rules will be put to use to determine who plays in Atlanta, possibly between more than two teams that didn't all play each other.
  • It will largely depend on what happens outside of the SEC, but don't be surprised by either CFP scenario: A 10-2 SEC team is left out OR a 9-3 SEC team is included.

Reactions: Sponge

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
5-7 with noticeable improvement as the season progresses, discipline, and adequate coaching and I’ll be happy.
Anything better than that is gravy. Anything less will be disappointing.

I mean, that really isn’t asking much. I just ask for a very meager crumb of hope.

patdog

May 28, 2007
5-7 with noticeable improvement as the season progresses, discipline, and adequate coaching and I’ll be happy.

I mean, that really isn’t asking much. I just ask for a very meager crumb of hope.
I’m right there with you.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

Agree. First year head coach. Pretty tough schedule. I would be satisfied with 5-7. 7-5 is about the most realistic ceiling, IMO.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment for OM so hoping most of these models play out for them

I just don’t want them in the playoff

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

That’s not a bad expectation at all. The schedule is killer. SEC knew we were in full rebuild mode this year and put the screws to us anyway. Same song.. different year.

Reactions: patdog
Jul 31, 2020
Well I played this season through with State in NCAA 25 and we won the natty, so that's gotta count for something right?

Reactions: Dawgg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Simulation after Week 3:
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 10.23.41 PM.png

This would be an interesting tiebreaker scenario:
  1. Alabama: def. Missouri and Tennessee (only head-to-head among 7-1 teams)
  2. Missouri: better opponent winning percentage than Tennessee
  3. Tennessee
  4. Texas: lost to Vanderbilt (common opponent among all 7-1 teams)
This iteration shows how easily we can get to the fourth level of tiebreakers with only eight conference games.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Simulation after Week 3:
View attachment 651544

This would be an interesting tiebreaker scenario:
  1. Alabama: def. Missouri and Tennessee (only head-to-head among 7-1 teams)
  2. Missouri: better opponent winning percentage than Tennessee
  3. Tennessee
  4. Texas: lost to Vanderbilt (common opponent among all 7-1 teams)
This iteration shows how easily we can get to the fourth level of tiebreakers with only eight conference games.
Trying to think of what weird verbal or legal loophole the SEC office would employ to make sure Missouri isn’t #2 in a tie-breaker.

Reactions: pseudonym

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
simulation after Week 5:

View attachment 661212
This looks right except Arkansas will win more, good chance they beat ole miss, LSU and possible Missouri. They will take 1-2 out of those three.
Florida will lose more , I don’t see Florida winning more than 1 sec game.

also a and m is looking like they are getting it figured out, I think they finish higher. their d line is very good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login