if pulling for france is wrong ….

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
LeBron came back to play for team USA in his 40’s when everybody thought his Olympic days were done, out there draped in the flag and people here saying he hates the country…smh. My politics are certainly opposite of his but I dont let that cloud my view. Dude was annointed the King in HS, has been under a spotlight the likes of which few have ever experienced and handled it better than anybody would have thought. He’s never been arrested, doesn’t have any bad habits, still married to his high school sweetheart who he has his only kids with (not 8 kids with 7 different women like most athletes) was a father to his kids and stayed involved in their lives. What more do you want?

“I hate him because has differently political beliefs than me and he has the nerve to speak out publicly about it!!!” Oh the horror. Children, some of you are nothing but children.
Excellent points made in this post.

However, I think LeBron was born on December 30, 1984. So, LeBron is currently 39, not in his 40s.

Still, LeBron is past his prime playing days and he took the time to play for Team USA. And he is still a great basketball player.

I watched parts of our game yesterday. As best I could tell, LeBron was our point guard, and he did a great job getting the ball upcourt, distributing the ball to others, and occassionally taking the ball to the hoop.

Tip of the cap to LeBron and our USA basketball team.

Reactions: olblue and Faustdog

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Yeah, maybe I let my feelings about Bron personally affect who I thought the MVP should be. It's human nature, right?

The best thing about Steph is.....he don't care. He just did what he had to do to make sure the USA came home with the GOLD. He was the best player on the floor when it mattered most, those last 2 games. Lebron was not.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Excellent points made in this post.

However, I think LeBron was born on December 30, 1984. So, LeBron is currently 39, not in his 40s.

Still, LeBron is past his prime playing days and he took the time to play for Team USA. And he is still a great basketball player.

I watched parts of our game yesterday. As best I could tell, LeBron was our point guard, and he did a great job getting the ball upcourt, distributing the ball to others, and occassionally taking the ball to the hoop.

Tip of the cap to LeBron and our USA basketball team.
Yep. I’m not a Lebron fan. I don’t care for him personally. But the fact is that he chose to do this while he could be sitting on some beautiful beach somewhere y’all have never even heard of.

Also, we don’t win that game yesterday without him. He was a nightmare matchup for France.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I do not like LeBron but he had the red white and blue on so I put those feelings aside for Team USA. I never was a big fan of Tiger Woods but when he was on the Ryder Cup teams I would pull for him in a heartbeat.

Theyre playing and representing our country when they could be doing something else.

Reactions: dog12 and Dawgg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
burn!!!! i’m so burned - hope i can recover
You are burned now b!tch. You have repeatedly said you don’t care for college sports so now you’ll have more time to go post on the non college sports message boards.
Doge Block GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Listen I hope USA wins every medal, but some of these players have either explicitly or implicitly called their fellow citizens all kinds of ugly things based on those citizen’s deeply held beliefs. These players moved the all-star game from Charlotte over a a dude not getting to use a women’s bathroom. These players knelt for the anthem of the country they allegedly represent and has given them an opportunity to acquire generational wealth. There are Americans who have an issue with that and find it hard to root for them. Many of these players refused to go to the White House when a politician they didn’t vote for resided there. Many if not all these players will stump for a politician half of America finds deeply problematic. It’s not that complicated. If there was intellectual diversity on this team, or any other kind of diversity for that matter, maybe it would be different. Part of the beauty of America is that you don’t have to like every one. But they’ve won the gold medal for 20 straight years. Don’t get all butt hurt when lots of people get bored with that or find reasons to not root for them. It’s completely predictable.
Well said. I'm watching the women's game right now. Only 3 players had their hand across their heart during the national anthem. Those 3 players were white. None of the black players did it at all, not even Brittney Griner and if any one of them should be thankful to be an American it should be her. I'm not saying I'm rooting against them but it sure does make it hard to root for them.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
LeBron came back to play for team USA in his 40’s when everybody thought his Olympic days were done, out there draped in the flag and people here saying he hates the country…smh. My politics are certainly opposite of his but I dont let that cloud my view. Dude was annointed the King in HS, has been under a spotlight the likes of which few have ever experienced and handled it better than anybody would have thought. He’s never been arrested, doesn’t have any bad habits, still married to his high school sweetheart who he has his only kids with (not 8 kids with 7 different women like most athletes) was a father to his kids and stayed involved in their lives. What more do you want?

“I hate him because has differently political beliefs than me and he has the nerve to speak out publicly about it!!!” Oh the horror. Children, some of you are nothing but children.
My problem with LeBron, is that he claims America is a racist country and thinks half the people who live here are evil, but is totally completely quiet when it comes to the People's Republic of China and their use of slave labor and the oppression of the Uiygurs.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
My Dad always said if Ole Miss was playing the Russians he’d pull for the Russians. Not in a million years would he cheer against the US Olympic team. I don’t care for Lebron either but he’s wearing red, white and blue man. Have some American pride.
To be fair, Ole Miss' colors are red, white and blue.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My problem with LeBron, is that he claims America is a racist country and thinks half the people who live here are evil, but is totally completely quiet when it comes to the People's Republic of China and their use of slave labor and the oppression of the Uiygurs.
So, I think the difference between this stance and the OP’s stance is that his problems with LeBron pushed him to root against the US. I don’t like LeBron either, but I’m not going to actively root for 17ing France over it.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
He was the best player on the floor when it mattered most, those last 2 games. Lebron was not.
This is why Steph should have been the MVP.

He was HUGE in the Serbia game. Not sure we could have won that game without Steph.

Also, Steph put the France game away yesterday. His ability to make shots is ridiculously good.

LeBron would be my second choice though. Every player on our team looked to LeBron for leadership, and he was constantly there to provide it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well said. I'm watching the women's game right now. Only 3 players had their hand across their heart during the national anthem. Those 3 players were white. None of the black players did it at all, not even Brittney Griner and if any one of them should be thankful to be an American it should be her. I'm not saying I'm rooting against them but it sure does make it hard to root for them.

I don't put my hand over my heart anymore. I stopped sometime in college, I think. I don't remember specifically when, but it wasn't out of protest or disagreement.
I stand still, silently look at the flag, and think the words.
And I am white.

What does that say about me? Do I hate America? Do I disrespect all who fought for our freedom?
Or...
Does that say nothing about me and it actually says you are overly judgmental and exclusive?

Reactions: tbaydog and Dawgg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I don't put my hand over my heart anymore. I stopped sometime in college, I think. I don't remember specifically when, but it wasn't out of protest or disagreement.
I stand still, silently look at the flag, and think the words.
And I am white.

What does that say about me? Do I hate America? Do I disrespect all who fought for our freedom?
Or...
Does that say nothing about me and it actually says you are overly judgmental and exclusive?
Says you don’t follow etiquette. Only you can answer why.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, maybe I let my feelings about Bron personally affect who I thought the MVP should be. It's human nature, right?

The best thing about Steph is.....he don't care. He just did what he had to do to make sure the USA came home with the GOLD. He was the best player on the floor when it mattered most, those last 2 games. Lebron was not.
MVP is about more than stats. USA advances with our without what Lebron did in group stage. But they don’t win gold without Curry in those last 2 games. Curry should be MVP in my opinion.

Reactions: tbaydog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
They also went out and brought home a gold medal for the USA. And if they do disagree with some of the stances of the USA (I disagree with some) and the extent of their protest is not putting their hand over their heart, big freaking deal. Why does everything have to turn into a symbol that someone “hates America”

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I stand with my head bowed with my hands at my side. Hat off if I have one on. Never have put my hand on my heart for the national anthem.

Guess I’m a terrorist that hates America now…
Stop.

Anybody alives knows that the accepted and preferred stance during the anthem is hand over heart.

Things like this is why people don’t like Lebron. They disrespect America’s customs. You’re trying way too hard to live in fairyland.

ETA: I don’t care about Olympic basketball so don’t try the angle that I’m rooting for or against anything.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Stop.

Anybody alives knows that the accepted and preferred stance during the anthem is hand over heart.

Things like this is why people don’t like Lebron. They disrespect America’s customs. You’re trying way too hard to live in fairyland.

ETA: I don’t care about Olympic basketball so don’t try the angle that I’m rooting for or against anything.

Guess I’ll join @mcdawg22 on the hammer throwing. ….but he’ll be back I’m sure by tomorrow with another name.
text thor GIF

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Sorry if this derails the thread, but it's good question - Why is it that you only see conservatives wishing for America to lose over politics? It's not just this year, you plenty of Americans rooting against athletes like Adam Rippon, Megan Rapinoe, Lebron James, etc., in previous years.

There are plenty of conservative/Trump supporting athletes representing America in any given year, including this one, but you just don't see Democratic posters here or anyone else wanting American to lose because of them. No one was rooting against our soccer team because of Korbin Albert, for example, despite her politics.

Is just this an inherent philosophical difference in how liberals and conservatives approach the intersection of sports and politics? Another example - when people discuss whether this year's basketball would beat the "Dream Team," half the comments are complaining about how Lebron James is a Democrat rather than anything basketball-related, but has a liberal poster ever complained in those threads about Larry Bird and John Stockton being Republicans?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Sorry if this derails the thread, but it's good question - Why is it that you only see conservatives wishing for America to lose over politics? It's not just this year, you plenty of Americans rooting against athletes like Adam Rippon, Megan Rapinoe, Lebron James, etc., in previous years.

There are plenty of conservative/Trump supporting athletes representing America in any given year, including this one, but you just don't see Democratic posters here or anyone else wanting American to lose because of them. No one was rooting against our soccer team because of Korbin Albert, for example, despite her politics.

Is just this an inherent philosophical difference in how liberals and conservatives approach the intersection of sports and politics? Another example - when people discuss whether this year's basketball would beat the "Dream Team," half the comments are complaining about how Lebron James is a Democrat rather than anything basketball-related, but has a liberal poster ever complained in those threads about Larry Bird and John Stockton being Republicans?
What they are doing is also the absolute definition of cancel culture. The irony of that is just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login