If we make the dance, are we just kicking the can down the road to keep BH?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It's a no-brainer if we don't make the tourney but I think we are just delaying the inevitable if we do make it and he stays. I don't think we can let him go it we make the NCAAT due to the bad optics that creates so with that said, is it in our long term interest if we don't make it so we can move on from howland era now instead of buying another two or three mediocre seasons before making a change?

I could never root for that to happen BTW but if it does....

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not a fan of turning positives into negatives, so if we make the dance I'll keep it as a positive.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We would be idiotic to fire a coach in the same year that they make the NCAA tournament.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Call it what you want- we shouldnt fire a coach after making the NCAAT. We also shouldnt give him a raise if he makes the NCAAT. He made it a few seasons ago and this is a team with enough talent to make it again. If he can guide the team to the NCAAT, thats simply doing his job and isnt worthy of a raise. Now if his incoming recruits(HS, JUCO, TRANSFER) are good next season and we put 2 seasons in a row together, then sure talk about a raise for the old timer.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We need to be a 6 or better seed in our region and we need to win at least one game. Let's just hope we make it.
We can ***** when the bitchin' time comes.

Sep 12, 2013
I’ll just say I’d be fine with letting him go regardless if we make the NCAAT.

I’ve seen all I need to see in the past 7 years.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It's a no-brainer if we don't make the tourney but I think we are just delaying the inevitable if we do make it and he stays. I don't think we can let him go it we make the NCAAT due to the bad optics that creates so with that said, is it in our long term interest if we don't make it so we can move on from howland era now instead of buying another two or three mediocre seasons before making a change?

We have the worst fans in America.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
We've made the tourney 10 times total since integration. If we fire him after making the tourney, we're idiots

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012

I have a feeling Howland is going to retire after this year regardless of outcome

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If he makes the tournament, that will mean in his last 5 yeras, he will have gone NIT Semifinal, First Round NCAA, Cancelled (presumably an NIT bid), NIT Runner-up, and NCAA tournament. I get that's not exactly what people want and his brand of basketball isn't the most exciting, but we can't (and shouldn't want to) fire a coach after what is effectively two NCAAs and three NITs in 5 years.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wouldn’t fire a coach if they made the tournament however if they decide to retire then that’s different

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
UCLA fired Howland after going 25-10, finishing first in the Pac12 and losing first round NCAA Tournament game.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Because UCLA and Mississippi State are comparable mens basketball programs.**

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
UCLA fired Ben Howland after winning only 2 NCAA tournament games in 5 years. They made 3 Sweet 16s in the next 4 seasons, before firing Steve Alford after 2 mediocre seasons, then were in the Final 4 last year in Cronin's 2nd season. Some of their fans tried to tell us he would underachieve.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

This reminds me of the commercial where new home owners are turning into their parents. "Let's stop talking about when we are going to leave before we even get to the game". "Are we still planning on leaving in the third quarter, good thing we parked next to the exit."

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
UCLA fired Ben Howland after winning only 2 NCAA tournament games in 5 years. They made 3 Sweet 16s in the next 4 seasons, before firing Steve Alford after 2 mediocre seasons, then were in the Final 4 last year in Cronin's 2nd season. Some of their fans tried to tell us he would underachieve.

Howland went to three final fours in 10 years. The y ear he was fired, he finished the regular season atop the Pac12. He had some struggles his last five years, but he finished 2nd, T5, 2nd, T5, and 1st in conference standings those years. His problem was he underachieved in the tounament his last five years with those two 2nd place and one 1st place team (although I think he lost his best player to injury right before the conference tournament his last year). If he had spread those final 4's over ten years, and mixed in the early exits, he probably wouldn't have been fired. Even as it was, UCLA is one of the few teams that could justify firing him based on his results.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Hopefully our coach doesn't make the tournament so that we can fire him for not making the tournament so that we can hire a coach that will make the tournament.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login