If we somehow get to 6-6 - do you want to move on from Arnett?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Would need to see vast improvement. If we were losing games by only a touchdown or we were being competitive I would say keep him. But if we aren't competitive against TAMU ole miss I would say no. We weren't competitive Saturday against auburn.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Yep. There are now reports coming out that Auburn figured out our calls at the line by the 2nd quarter and we didn't change anything for the rest of the game. This coaching staff is TRASH.

• Sad
Reactions: PhredPhantom

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Three Stooges Friday GIF

I’d prefer our program not be lead by him ^^

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Would I want to? Yes. Would it be wise, no. It’ll be a lot easier when we are 2-7 next year.
Unfortunately.....this.

Same situation we had with Moorhead. Had Gay and Shrader not helped us out, we would have cratered in 2020 and would have been an easy firing.

You really have to be careful about timing when it comes to firing guys. You'll get a Rick Ray on your hands.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We’d have to have a really strong candidate already guaranteed to come on board for it to make sense.

Everyone on here is talking about how big of a rebuild 2024 is going to be, and you think coaching candidates wouldn’t see that? Its a dicey proposition to fire a guy at 6-6 who took over on short notice for a HOF coach after tragic untimely passing. Coach who didn’t even have a staff or program to sell during the primary portal window in December, and who wouldn’t have even got to be HC for a full recruiting cycle. And not to mention the QB injury issues.

Do I think Arnett is the long term solution? Not really. But a shitcanning after only one season which wouldn’t even be an outlier in the W-L department is a pretty big deal in college football, if everything is above board off the field. I think very few people would like the list of interested parties for replacement under that scenario. Maybe just let Arnett jump on the grenade in 2024 and then make your move. Its gonna suck either way, and you are likely making a 3-year commitment to a very high risk replacement if you fire him too soon.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We’d have to have a really strong candidate already guaranteed to come on board for it to make sense.

Everyone on here is talking about how big of a rebuild 2024 is going to be, and you think coaching candidates wouldn’t see that? Its a dicey proposition to fire a guy at 6-6 who took over on short notice for a HOF coach after tragic untimely passing. Coach who didn’t even have a staff or program to sell during the primary portal window in December, and who wouldn’t have even got to be HC for a full recruiting cycle. And not to mention the QB injury issues.

Do I think Arnett is the long term solution? Not really. But a shitcanning after only one season which wouldn’t even be an outlier in the W-L department is a pretty big deal in college football, if everything is above board off the field. I think very few people would like the list of interested parties for replacement under that scenario. Maybe just let Arnett jump on the grenade in 2024 and then make your move. Its gonna suck either way, and you are likely making a 3-year commitment to a very high risk replacement if you fire him to soon.
Yep. Similar to having Leach in 2020. That's the only way it makes sense.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes. The writing is on the wall as to how this turns out and as bad as the SEC is to play and look this poorly in games is pretty telling.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Unless the "somehow" is such a spectacular improvement that it is obvious these guys can really coach/lead and they just hadn't hit their stride. Unlike some, I don't see any coaching mistake setting the program back years in the days of NIL and transfers. A good coach should be able to have a pulse in year 1, with continuous improvement throughout the season.

Hence, we should be seeing something that we are not seeing with this staff, AND if we cut them loose, there is no reason to believe that we can't field a competitive team next year if we make a good hire.

ETA: Saying all that, but ultimately, IF we decide to move on, I think that decision should be made with this year's results in mind AND the quality of available coaches. I could see a case where a 6-6 Arnett is a way better choice than available coaches to hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Can someone please explain why the magical number is 6-6 for MSU fans? The SEC sucks this year.
This. In a normal SEC year 6-6 is decent for us. In this SEC we should be at 8 wins with the roster we have. To answer OP question, absolutely let’s go get someone now! What must be done eventually should be done immediately.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If he wins 6 games he is staying, especially if one of those 6 ends up being the Egg Bowl.

also, if I end up banging all the Dallas cowboy cheerleaders then…..well, it would be awesome. And just as likely to happen as the above scenario

• Haha

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Yes. Arguably, the only way he saves his job is keep the egg which is sad as an excuse to keep him. He’s wrong for the position. If we finish 6-6 or better, it honestly says more about the teams that lose to us (USM not included) than it says about the state of State football.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
With Sexton as his agent, if he goes 6-6, it'll be interesting to see what his contract demands will be.

patdog

May 28, 2007
also, if I end up banging all the Dallas cowboy cheerleaders then…..well, it would be awesome. And just as likely to happen as the above scenario
Be very careful what you wish for. I think at least one NFL team has a transgender cheerleader. So don't commit to bang them all before you get started.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. **

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yes… we should not be a place for someone to learn on the job. Arnett had a fair shot with a good returning roster and he made the decision to completely blow up the offense. I respect him for deciding to do it his way, but the team is not well coached or well prepared. Go get a head coach. Let arnett learn somewhere else. I wish him the best

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Can anyone articulate what direction we are heading? Should I expect better recruiting? Should I expect better portal work? What's our identity? Should I expect the energy levels to increase going forward? I don't feel like there's a plan. If there is, nobody is selling it. Selmon owns some of that too.

With Leach, we were going to be air raid and sell out to it. Love it or hate it, we knew what direction everyone was pulling. Today it just feels like we are in limbo and hoping for the best.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think we can fire him at 6-6. If he does get to 6-6, that shows me we had significant improvement after the bye week (3-3 against a tougher schedule than the pre bye week schedule). Yesterday gives me little hope this will happen, but it might.

In the real world, I think he's safe at 5-7.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Can anyone articulate what direction we are heading? Should I expect better recruiting? Should I expect better portal work? What's our identity? Should I expect the energy levels to increase going forward? I don't feel like there's a plan. If there is, nobody is selling it. Selmon owns some of that too.

With Leach, we were going to be air raid and sell out to it. Love it or hate it, we knew what direction everyone was pulling. Today it just feels like we are in limbo and hoping for the best.
We are going to suck and the fans will like it!

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
If 1 of the 6 wins is UM, I'd let him make his case and make the decision based on what he can give me for an improvement plan. Otherwise, no. I like the guy and want him to be a successful head coach. But based on things as they are now, I don't see it.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Because of the team's lack of preparation each week, it seems as if most, if not all of the coaching staff has checked out. This entire staff has not bought in to the opportunity they had. How many of them are in position to accept other employment/looking at other options?

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Absolutely…this staff has reached its level of incompetence in the work place. They have to go. Go get Kansas offensive coordinator go get Tom Herman. You think he won’t jump at it. Of course he will …but get someone else. When the other tream knows your plays by the second qtr give me a break. And Cublic said in his review some really odd calls to the short side of the field. Ronnie Milsap can see this it’s working This is Croom 2.0

Reactions: josebrown
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login