I'm a Little Shocked at Auburn's new Deal with Bruce Pearl...

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I have not kept up with Auburn and only know what is in the link you provided. It sounds like they were banned from post-season play for only one year. Or is it 4? If it is just one, my guess is that Auburn decided that's a small penalty to pay in order to be an annual contender for the national championship. I would not want him. Pearl is scum. I don't think any Auburn fan can deny that. They would probably say "Yes he is". Then they would smile and say, "Yes, but he is our scum".

Freddie.B.Cocky

Joined Jul 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
I have not kept up with Auburn and only know what is in the link you provided. It sounds like they were banned from post-season play for only one year. Or is it 4? If it is just one, my guess is that Auburn decided that's a small penalty to pay in order to be an annual contender for the national championship. I would not want him. Pearl is scum. I don't think any Auburn fan can deny that. They would probably say "Yes he is". Then they would smile and say, "Yes, but he is our scum".
Auburn's only purpose in sports is to win, regardless of what is required.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
That's exactly what they would say. And I don't think they got banished for four years. I think they self-imposed a one year banishment and it was accepted by the NCAA. There was a good bit of outrage over it.

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
That's exactly what they would say. And I don't think they got banished for four years. I think they self-imposed a one year banishment and it was accepted by the NCAA. There was a good bit of outrage over it.
And this hasn’t been a case of fans from other schools throwing out accusations. This was nationally recognized cheating. Actually caught yet...

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Athletic Directors like success in both Basketball and Football, but their very existence depends on at least one being successful (at most schools!). That was as much for the AD as the coach. You can go out as easily with a decent poor coach as you can with a scoundrel good one.

Reactions: King Ward

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
They're hoping he can keep winning without giving them any more black eyes. It's a gamble. Sometimes they pay off and what's past is past.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I mean a contract for life ?
There is a whole lot of things that can happen, and some of them not good in that timespan. What kind of buyout does a "lifetime contract" consist of.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
There is a whole lot of things that can happen, and some of them not good in that timespan. What kind of buyout does a "lifetime contract" consist of.
Not sure, but I think Calipari contract is over 80 million for lifetime. Suppose no coach leaves with that kind of cash. Not sure details of the contract however.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Athletic Directors like success in both Basketball and Football, but their very existence depends on at least one being successful (at most schools!). That was as much for the AD as the coach. You can go out as easily with a decent poor coach as you can with a scoundrel good one.
Auburn's AD doesn't control much. Everyone forgets Bobby Lowder, the former BOT member, who remains one of the most influential boosters in the country....if not the most. Auburn marches to his drum.

Reactions: King Ward

Jon Snow

Joined Dec 17, 2012
Jan 18, 2022
Auburn is clearly worried that Pearl will be poached by a basketball blueblood. I agree that it is a risk to invest this much in a guy like Pearl, but with the NCAA losing so much of their bite, it is probably one worth taking.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
An @$$ of money.
Auburn is clearly worried that Pearl will be poached by a basketball blueblood. I agree that it is a risk to invest this much in a guy like Pearl, but with the NCAA losing so much of their bite, it is probably one worth taking.
He's a topnotch coach, whatever else is wrong with him.