In case you haven’t noticed the used car market is completely 17ed.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you need a blood pressure moniter on your bike it should probably be stationary **

af102

May 17, 2009
I've looked at the Rad Wagon fully configured for multiple kids, and it's ~$2500. Tons of families in our area of town have them- I think I counted 5 at preschool pickup yesterday in the 5 minutes I was there. The upside for them is they aren't that much bigger than a normal bike, so they should fit on the bike racks on the buses easily, and can still take on the trains.

I really like the Dutch style "bakfiets," but there aren't many American companies making them yet. Urban Arrow is one of the few Dutch companies that at least has dealer agreements with US shops. https://propelbikes.com/product/urban-arrow-family-performance/

Our family has been talking for a while about making the jump, and this video is a good explainer on why it is feasible for us right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhzEnWCgHA&t

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I’m sitting at a dealership now for routine service. I have had 3 salesmen come by asking to appraise my truck in the last 30 minutes. I told the first one yes but the others are just making sure. They have asked everyone in the waiting room multiple times. This is crazy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We had kids young compared to our friends/work peers and so I get that some money they have compared to us could be from the early few years of adulthood.
But we look around all the time and ask each other wt17 are they doing or are we not doing? We have higher earnings than most too.
Oh well.

We had kids late (for the south; not really late for anywhere else) and that definitely helps. Have some rental properties that we probably wouldn't have otherwise, paid off a bunch of student loan debt and got a good head start on retirement savings, but we didn't take advantage of it as much as we should have and I think we probably did better than average as far as not inflating our lifestyle because we didn't have kids. I think it's a combination of some people having family money, some people just not saving, and some actually taking on debt, but it worries the **** out of me that we are just being stupid and either missing out on investments that would make it easier for us or just not getting our market value in wages.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I’m sitting at a dealership now for routine service. I have had 3 salesmen come by asking to appraise my truck in the last 30 minutes. I told the first one yes but the others are just making sure. They have asked everyone in the waiting room multiple times. This is crazy.

Whatever they give you as an appraisal, you can sell it yourself for twice as much or more.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Whatever they give you as an appraisal, you can sell it yourself for twice as much or more.

I will sell you my Truck right now for 50% more than a dealership offers me for a trade in. You can then immediately sell it for a huge gain...

Deal?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
New vehicles mostly have sensor problems, not mechanical problems, which is super frustrating. You mean my engine is fine, but the sensor that tells me my engine is fine is broken so now my car doesn't run right and it cost a bunch to fix? That sucks!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think it's a combination of some people having family money, some people just not saving, and some actually taking on debt, but it worries the **** out of me that we are just being stupid and either missing out on investments that would make it easier for us or just not getting our market value in wages.

Truth. And the sad thing is I am confident we are getting our market value in wages(based on how much I actually want to work). So we are missing out on some seriously ripe low hanging investments or everyone else is financed past their eyeballs...or a little of both.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We had kids late (for the south; not really late for anywhere else) and that definitely helps. Have some rental properties that we probably wouldn't have otherwise, paid off a bunch of student loan debt and got a good head start on retirement savings, but we didn't take advantage of it as much as we should have and I think we probably did better than average as far as not inflating our lifestyle because we didn't have kids. I think it's a combination of some people having family money, some people just not saving, and some actually taking on debt, but it worries the **** out of me that we are just being stupid and either missing out on investments that would make it easier for us or just not getting our market value in wages.

I think its a combination of many factors. I know people who get no “current” help from their parents, but had parents basically pay a substantial portion of their first house, etc. That type of jump start can put you on a track that pays dividends for a long time. People who own their home but have roommates to help with the mortgage. People who inherit money from deceased parents or other relatives. All the above represents income way above and beyond what is normally tracked as average income from employment or investments. Then of course you have the people who are just dumb.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I think there is more “family money” out there than I want to think there is. I also think there are a lot of people that are fully or close to fully leveraged to maintain a lifestyle.

Charitable contributions go by the wayside and savings are minimized. Go look at some of the data on average savings by age groups. My (40-50) age group looks totally screwed as far as being set up for retirement.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think there is more “family money” out there than I want to think there is. I also think there are a lot of people that are fully or close to fully leveraged to maintain a lifestyle.

Charitable contributions go by the wayside and savings are minimized. Go look at some of the data on average savings by age groups. My (40-50) age group looks totally screwed as far as being set up for retirement.
You are spot on, and it gets worse with every generation. The 30-40 group has literally no savings on average.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

I'd think inheritances are up somewhat last couple years. But to your point, my sense is tons of folks are leveraged to their eyeballs.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
New vehicles mostly have sensor problems, not mechanical problems, which is super frustrating. You mean my engine is fine, but the sensor that tells me my engine is fine is broken so now my car doesn't run right and it cost a bunch to fix? That sucks!

Except in those cases it actually doesn’t cost you personally anything to fix it, if it really is a new (ish) vehicle.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think its a combination of many factors. I know people who get no “cuurent” help from their parents, but had parents basically pay a substantial portion of their first house, etc. That type of jump start can put you on a track that pays dividends for a long time. People who own their home but have roommates to help with the mortgage. People who inherit money from deceased parents or other relatives. All the above represents income way above and beyond what os normally tracked as average income from employment or investments. Then of course you have the people who are just dumb.

That's a really good point about the jump start. Haven't really thought about it, but we do probably have a disproportionate number of friends that graduated college with no student loan debt and then also got new cars for graduation. Had we not had student loan debt we'd probably be ahead another $300k right now. We were lucky enough to both get cars from our parents in college and we drove them until the wheels fell off, so we had two years of work before replacing one car and 5 years before replacing the other. But if we had had say two cars with 30k on them instead of 100k at graduation, obviously that would have let us save even longer and put us further ahead.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I was really interested in upgrading to a Hyundai Palisade until I realized that buyers were paying 10-15% over MSRP just to get on a waiting list.

I’ve driven the same Pathfinder for the last 13 years, and it sounds like I’ll be driven it a while longer

Bought a 21 Palisade 2 months ago. It took a lot of searching and avoiding lots that were adding $7k in market adjustments. Found it at a local Ford dealership the day after it was traded in.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I got my 16 year old a VW Tiguan. With the 3k VW cash, my out the door price for a new one was 2K cheaper than the '19 ones he had off lease. He really didn't want to sell me the new one, he had 2 on the lot.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You are doing something right. I recall financing a vehicle a few years ago and the finance guy was blown away at my debt to income. He said he was used to financing people who could barely afford what they were buying and had debt to their eyeballs. Mentioned Reunion specifically as a place with many people in over with their head. This was unprompted exchange.

FIFY

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
What kind of shape is it in? Is it a manual?

5 speed 4cyl, 2.3 liter I think. It's all original, AC works, radio cassette works but the speakers are rotten. It's black with tan top and tan leather interior I bought it for Mrs Bite for birthday or anniversary with about 13000 miles on it 20 plus years ago. She's always had a company car and an assortment of SUVs so it was driven sparingly. We use it for date night and the occasional grocery run. I finally got that permanent antique tag for it a few months ago. Roadshow BMW went through it about seven years ago and replaced everything they wanted to. Timing belt and etc. I'd call it great shape for its age, always covered and garaged but it has the usual scratches from garage life.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I paid way to much for my used armada by in October but brand new one was still about 15k more the. The bad thing was the midsize suvs were costing just as much as full size.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I had a crankshaft position sensor crap out on a 2006 Altima post warranty. Let me tell you that part is in such an awkward place (if you don’t have a lift) that I almost hire a professional from the pink pony to contort enough to replace it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Dm me if you seriously want to part with it. I mean I’m not paying $16k but I’m looking for a fun 5 speed to park in the garage where my f150 doesn’t fit.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I had a crankshaft position sensor crap out on a 2006 Altima post warranty. Let me tell you that part is in such an awkward place (if you don’t have a lift) that I almost hire a professional from the pink pony to contort enough to replace it.

I’m assuming its on the firewall side of the engine and probably obscured by axle and other drivetrain parts.

Good news is that particular defect wouldn’t actually break your engine or do too much damage. If the ECM doesn’t know where the crank is in the it generally will just kill the engine. Won’t be able to crank it without knowing when to fire each cylinder.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Right, it just left my daughter sitting in the middle of a state highway when it decided to stop sensing. Got it home through a series of restart/stop/restart cycles. Cheap part. Had to stand on my head, work blind and sacrifice all of my knuckle hair and most of the associated skin.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Several issues are driving car prices, both new and used.

1. Electrical parts that use chips are still way behind on production.
2. Shipping is horrible now, shipping companies are still only staffed at around 60% of total employees needed. Combine that with higher fuel prices and you see 4 to 5 times higher shipping costs.
3. In the old days, dealers would swap parts and vehicles without much hassle, now dealers are hoarding vehicles and parts.
4. Education system has pushed kids away from tech jobs, hard to find good techs now. Other side of this is that it takes a person several years to make more than a basic living while you train them and they buy tools. Younger generation isn't willing to put in the "apprentice" time.

All of the above push costs higher.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
You don’t understand the pulse of 70% of America then
I don’t understand the pulse of about 50% of the posters here. We obviously live in a very disconnected . . . from reality society. That said I’m ready for some football, Mississippi State style.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
A GD decent zero turn lawn mower is $10K these days. I bet the $25K+ side by side market is drying up. Maybe catch on on some incentive and drive it to work.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login