Inflation report

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We will know real soon what the Feds are going to do on interest rates. If it is not at 2.0 % year over year they are dropping the rates.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
WWFD? (What Would France Do)
Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Game of Thrones

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We will know real soon what the Feds are going to do on interest rates. If it is not at 2.0 % year over year they are dropping the rates.
They should. Not a lot or anything, 50bps by end of the year seems reasonable.

Reactions: Shmuley

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Rate drop has been predicted for Sept meeting anyway. Not much to see here IMO. But unless rates go south of 6% (doubtful soon), it's not going to change much.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That was the plan originally but @libertymagadad6969 (bio: PATRIOT, CHRIST FOLLOWER, DAD, ROLL TIDE) already cracked the code and figured this out, so we're back to the drawing boards :(
I'm sure closing the border will close the deal **

Reactions: dorndawg

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I will also say this - in the past two months, I have been to both Las Vegas and Disney World. I don't see how a reasonable person can see the crowds at both of these places and think that inflation is having an impact on consumers and causing them to alter their behavior. Airplanes and airports are slammed. Restaurants are slammed. Disney parks are slammed. Folks are still rolling 80 MPH + on the interstate in their Expeditions and F-150's.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If they are planning dropping rates to influence an election, they better do it now. Early voting starts in September in some swing states.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I will also say this - in the past two months, I have been to both Las Vegas and Disney World. I don't see how a reasonable person can see the crowds at both of these places and think that inflation is having an impact on consumers and causing them to alter their behavior. Airplanes and airports are slammed. Restaurants are slammed. Disney parks are slammed. Folks are still rolling 80 MPH + on the interstate in their Expeditions and F-150's.
Credit Card Debt has reach 1.15 trillion. Imagine what would happen if every one of them just said 17 it. I am not paying.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Inflation ex shelter, which is a lagging indicator, is 0 for the month, 1.9% for the last year.

Time to cut rates.
Core inflation was still up a tenth of a percent. Overall inflation still almost a point and a half higher than fed targets, and prices are still higher than peak numbers.

Time to find an unbiased news source.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Credit Card Debt has reach 1.15 trillion. Imagine what would happen if every one of them just said 17 it. I am not paying.
It would take them about 10 days to do some shiit to the ring leaders of the movement so gruesome that the rest of folks would trip over themselves to start back making payments. And they'd have the full force of the state supporting and carrying out the gruesomeness.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU and GloryDawg

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly this. Savings rates have dropped dramatically and credit card debt is way up. There is still plenty of revenge spending going on, it just isn’t with cash on hand, but debt.

The Fed’s on forecast still does not get us to their magical 2%.

This sure has been a long “transitory” time hasn’t it?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The Federal Reserve said Wednesday it is keeping its benchmark lending rates at their current levels for the seventh time in a row, while signaling fewer rate cuts than previously estimated.

That means borrowing costs on everything from car loans to mortgages will remain elevated.

Officials penciled in just one rate cut this year, according to their latest economic projections, compared to the three they forecast in March. They also expect inflation to be more stubborn this year than they thought in the spring, according to their forecasts.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
The people that are really impacted by inflation, don't go to those places. Not an indicator.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Just in time for the Fed to cook the rates for the election. Can’t wait until the Feb is abolished for good.
Not going to happen. That's not to say some new catastrophe can't hit & throw things around but that would be a bit obvious wouldn't it?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We have different classes of consumers. Some of them locked in their housing price in 2021 or earlier with low interest rates, haven't had to replace a car yet, and have had wages come close to keeping up with the headline inflation rate, which at least approximates their spending. For others, none of those things are true or only one or two of those things are true.

You also have lots of people that are using debt to reduce the hit to their quality of life in hopes that their wages catch up sooner rather than later and then people like us that have reduced their consumption some but mainly have just taken a hit to their savings rate. So if you looked at us, it would look like we're living basically the same as we were, but in reality, we're on pace to retire about 7 years later than we would have based on our spending and income in 2019. I think our income will catch up some over the next few years but it sucks pretty hard now to be cutting back and still watching our savings rate drop by ten percentage points.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Every one of them would have to file for bankruptcy, and lose all their possessions (including their homes), and suddenly we would have solved the housing inventory crisis?

Reactions: dorndawg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The total inflation rate means nothing. Look at the rates for things people are actually buying.
I agree. I just want to know where the line between "economy is great, inflation isn't hard for these folks" and "inflation is forcing me to take on credit card debt to eat" is.

How many folks are on each side of those lines? I'm on the former, but don't want to see many folks in the latter. If there's a bunch, then I'd appreciate a politician selling me on their plan to get folks out of the bucket of **** and into the crowd that gets to ***** about long lines at Disney World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login