Is anyone else getting a little wooly?

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
A lot of starters back and Leach has his guys. If he doesn't win 7-8 this year that might indicate something other than a tough schedule.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I am not ready to chalk up Georgia as an auto loss given what they lost from last year and how well we played in Athens in 2020 with not even 50 guys on the travel roster.

I do think it’s a tough schedule that makes it likely we lose at least 3-4 games. I think we end up somewhere in the 7-5 to 9-3 range. But I’m optimistic about this season and think we have a chance to be really good.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
If we can limit ourselves to 3 or 4 false start penalties per game...

I like our chances. I think physically our tackles are up to the task, it's the mental part I'm in wait-and-see mode about.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
This is definitely where I parked my car.

I think I've been hesitant to be too excited about this season. But every time I look at it on paper, it's hard to ignore the experience we have everywhere.

Adding all the help in the secondary plus Arnett taking over Safeties will hopefully lead to more turnovers and less big plays. We've got some real good talent on the DL and LB to get pressure and stop the run.

Besides OL, I'm wondering who on offense will step into Makai Polk's shoes. Ducking has the size and speed they say

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It comes down to 2 groups to me. I’ll start with DB’s. I think we are as talented as we have been in years at that position but will they gel and get the mistakes cleaned up. We had too many breakdowns last year which cost us.

OL is my big question. We lose a 1st round pick on a line that gave up too much pressure when teams were rushing 4. I think that is one of the issues we had in the redzone. With the back of the endzone being undefeated at denying completions defenses can drop 7 and rush 4 and not worry about a QB spy. Will should have all day to find an open guy but it just didn’t happen last year. Maybe we lose a little on the left but the unit as a whole gets better. If that happens we should be better than last year.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
That was a damn good team. We should have beat Auburn early in the season. Broomfield dropped a pick 6 late in the game that would have all but wrapped it in Maroon and White. Also lost to Arkansas in OT too. Vick Ballard dove for the end zone and somebody put a hat on the ball. Loved watching Ballard carry the rock

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Don't forget Reese played some last year and was probly an improvement. He should be ready to go this year. Dolla Bill has played a lot and Percy spose to be the top JUCO tackle. I think they will figure it out. I can't wait to see.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
and the interior of our o-line is very good. Biggest concerns are at tackle where we have to replace Cross but we have some talent there - it just needs to step up. And maybe Dollar Bill has learned that holding is a bad thing.

who is going to play the two guard positions?

Because ourlads has the guy that got man handled by Texas Tech as a starter at guard.

Last edited:

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
For me, success this year is going at least 6-6 including beating OM (making Thanksgiving bearable), and then winning the bowl game.

That is not too much to ask in year 3.

Anything more than that is gravy and I'm not going to invest emotions in thinking about anything else.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Don't forget Reese played some last year and was probly an improvement. He should be ready to go this year. Dolla Bill has played a lot and Percy spose to be the top JUCO tackle. I think they will figure it out. I can't wait to see.

Not sure how often "Top JUCO Tackle" equals "SEC Ready Tackle". As good at Martinis Rankin ended up being, he wasn't ready his first year and took a while to adjust his second year. I think Siddoway was if not the top JUCO OT one of the top 3 and he was a pretty solid RT his first year I think. But he also spent a redshirt year and freshman year in DI before transferring down to JUCO.

Just can't get my hopes up on a JUCO jumping into SEC LT, and while I'm hoping Reese has made a big jump, I'm skeptical that somebody could have not been good enough to play RT for us last year and made a big enough jump to play LT this year.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I suspect that is why Dolla Bill is over there in the competition. He was getting most of the first team reps at the end of spring. Former 4 star with a lot of experience. Hopefully one of them will step up

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We had 3 points through 3 quarters against Mississippi. I don't think Corral had anything to do with that.

we still only lose by 10 and shot ourselves in the foot many times. We should have beat them but Corral is the guy that made their team good and if you don't believe that I don't what to say. With out him they are a 6 to 7 win team.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Are you kidding .. right tackle will be an upgrade. We gotta replace the LT. …. They have recruited well., sure he was a 1st rounder but it’s not like we don’t recruit at all

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Same here but I am expecting them to be bad enough to derail our offense. Just can't throw it 50 times a game and be successful when you have to tackles that are going to struggle to win one-on-one battles with quality SEC DEs and OLBs. You give us Cross back, and I would think 10 wins with an extremely difficult schedule was on the table; we can handle a marginal right OT (who will likely be improved over what we had last year). But I just don't see how the offense can hum when Will can't trust either of his OTs.

Really hope I'm wrong either about how well the offense can manage with marginal OTs or how good our OTs are going to be.

What you talking about? Leach talked to Mullen the other night. Expect to see some qb draws and the zone read a couple of times. Going to keep them on their toes. Will gonna show that speed! **

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Should have a solid team, but brutal schedule will mean 7-5, 8-4 will be great year, 9-3 will be outstanding.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm worried about the OT's as well. Hopefully two guys will step up. As far as the schedule goes the conference schedule is no more tougher than years past Kind of use to it. Like you said at least our OOC P5 is not that good. Last year we were facing NC State who was good.

We don't get OT right and it's a long year. Hard to throw running for your life when they only rush 3.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
The one thing I have liked about Leach is under his tenure ..in 18 SEC Games and 6 non conference games MSU has only been non competitive in a handful of games ...Ky, Ala, A&M in 20 and Ala and Tech in 21 ... and if you look at the mark since Will took over ...it's only the two games last year. If you go back and look at Leach's preseason comments ...in 20 Will isn't ready...last year he said Will needs work.....this year he said he's ready.....so that's why I'm wooly

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
My recommendation is take two aspirins and watch the SEC Network for about an hour or two, that will make the wool drop real quick.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The current options are Nick Jones and Gabe Cavasos at left guard and Kam Jones, Cole Smith, and Grant Jackson at right guard. Plus they are moving Losoya all around including back up center.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Key "stat" you're missing: 2nd toughest SOS (at least according to Phil Steele)

4-8 is a very real possibility. We could go 0-4 in October

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
I've gone from 6-6 to 7-5 but our schedule is just too tough to project more. I hope I am wrong.

Our schedule is not too tough to predict us to beat the following:

Memphis
Arizona
Bowling green
East Tennessee state
Kentucky
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn

LSU went 6-6 last year and we regularly whip A&M’s *** and have them at home. 8 wins is extremely attainable and should be expected when you return 18 starters including a 3rd year qb off a 7 win team from the year prior.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Yeah I think that about the OL. How many times have we had a good team, & offense, without a guy like Cross? Plenty. And Jordan Davis is a nat’s *** away from being an elite player. If no injury, we’d be watching him on Sunday. DL & OL will be fine.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Jesus. 4-8 is not a real possibility.

Possible? Absolutely. Probable? Not necessarily Consider the following:

vs. MEM (W) - Giving this even a W even though MEM gives us problems

@ AZ (L) - Time zone jet lag and desert heat won't be helpful

@ LSU (L) - Lost last year and haven't beaten LSU but 6 times in the past 22 years (3 on the road)

vs. BG (W)

vs. TAMU (L) - Jimbo needs this game

vs. ARK (L) - 12-18-1 vs. Arky and 6-8 at DWS; Lost last 2 at home

@KY (L) - 9-16 overall at KY; Losing last 3 visits in Lexington

@BAMA (L) -UPSET ALERT (yeah, right)

vs. AUB (W) - Should win this game

vs. GA (L) - UPSET ALERT (yeah, right)

vs. ETSU (W)

@ OM (L) - 12-24-3 OTR; Lost 3 of the last 4 there

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Wrong, they got us in Starkville in 2020 (the most brutal disappointment of Leach's tenure, no doubt, even though we should have won anyway), but we wont 52-6 in 2018.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Arizona has won 1 game out of their last 24 going back to 2019. 1 and 17ing 23. They are fighting with Vanderbilt and Kansas for the worst P5 team in the country.

Unless the plane flies east to get to Tucson with a layover in Equatorial Guinea for a nice meal of sauteed tapeworm, I wouldn't be to concerned about the jet lag.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Our schedule is not too tough to predict us to beat the following:

Memphis
Arizona
Bowling green
East Tennessee state
Kentucky
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Auburn

LSU went 6-6 last year and we regularly whip A&M’s *** and have them at home. 8 wins is extremely attainable and should be expected when you return 18 starters including a 3rd year qb off a 7 win team from the year prior.

I think we can win the 4 OOC games. Those are easy to predict. However LSU, UK, Ark, aTm, AU and OM are toss ups as of today. Predicting those either way is a guess until we see more of all teams.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013

vs. MEM (W) - Giving this even a W even though MEM gives us problems

@ LSU (L) - Lost last year and haven't beaten LSU but 6 times in the past 22 years (3 on the road)

vs. BG (W)

vs. TAMU (L) - Jimbo needs this game

@KY (L) - 9-16 overall at KY; Losing last 3 visits in Lexington

@BAMA (L) -UPSET ALERT (yeah, right)

vs. AUB (W) - Should win this game

vs. GA (L) - UPSET ALERT (yeah, right)

vs. ETSU (W)

@ OM (L) - 12-24-3 OTR; Lost 3 of the last 4 there

No, it’s not remotely possible. Period.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
I think we can win the 4 OOC games. Those are easy to predict. However LSU, UK, Ark, aTm, AU and OM are toss ups as of today. Predicting those either way is a guess until we see more of all teams.

If someone predicts us to go 6-6 or 7-5 then I will disagree but see the reasoning behind it. At the same time, Auburn is a dumpster fire and we play them at home. That should be a win. Kentucky has beaten 1 MSU team this century that finished with a winning record and Kentucky is 4-8 against the SEC West in the past 5 years. They are the biggest fraud in this conference and I for one am sick of hearing about how good they are just because they beat up on weak *** East teams and then get a Mud hole stomped in their *** when they play the West. Arkansas is at home and a team that we bring more back than along with being a team we should have beaten a year ago if we would have had a kicker. That is a game we should predict to win in my opinion. Ole Miss has no quarterback and lost everyone off of a team that was carried by a really good quarterback. It’s always a tossup but we
Have a better roster than they do this year. LSU went 6-6 last year and is bringing in a brand new scheme on both sides and doesn’t have a quarterback. A&M is a team that we Regularly beat and we have them at home.

Im not saying we beat all of those teams but it’s not hard to see where someone should be able to pick out am 8 win prediction with what we have returning and what we picked up in the portal to fill needs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login