Is Charlie Winfield not an AD candidate?

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe I’ve missed it, but is Charlie getting any consideration? Listened to his interview on Out of Bounds yesterday, and he was a big part of the Leach interview and coaching search. He’s been connected to many different programs at the school. I know his role with the Bulldog Initiative is important, but I like him as a candidate way more than Benko.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He may not be interested in it. He has a lot of irons in the fire but I agree that he would be a good choice. If Cohen could do it I'm sure Charlie could.

Mar 21, 2011
I like Charlie but that would be a Mississippi State hire. We really need some new blood and outside perspective. I'll give State this...we are a loyal bunch to our people.

I like the AD from Memphis. Great resume and has good energy. I think he would do well here.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Let's make the buyout for our next AD 1 Trillion dollars, they keep going to other schools

was21

May 29, 2007
haha, Cohen set the bar low.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but is Charlie getting any consideration? Listened to his interview on Out of Bounds yesterday, and he was a big part of the Leach interview and coaching search. He’s been connected to many different programs at the school. I know his role with the Bulldog Initiative is important, but I like him as a candidate way more than Benko.
Charlie Winfield probably makes too much money as a lawyer to want an AD job. OTOH he excels in his current role for State.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Top 3 candidates are Jared Benko from Georgia Southern (probably will get it). Laird Veatch from Memphis and John David Wicker from San Diego State
Benko has the weakest resume of the three. He also has a goofy GSU headshot and Twitter profile picture. He’s not the guy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Charlie Winfield probably makes too much money as a lawyer to want an AD job. OTOH he excels in his current role for State.
Very few lawyers in private practice make more money than an AD at an SEC school, and the ones that do would typically have less stress and hours by moving to an AD position. Only exception are the few plaintiff's lawyers that are successful with a lot of contingency work.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Who else are you hearing?
No name specifically. Was told not to believe everything you hear. So no real info really. I would say I'd doubt one of the three listed here though. He would be a terrible fit now.
Benko would be my MSU best guess as next AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Top 3 candidates are Jared Benko from Georgia Southern (probably will get it). Laird Veatch from Memphis and John David Wicker from San Diego State
Wicker interesting. Well he might like our new head coach of football. I'm surprised now power 5 names on that list.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
John David Wicker would only be more of an Ole Miss name if he had a Roman numeral of III or higher appended to his last name.

ETA: Wait, this guy is a Mississippi State graduate?!?

was21

May 29, 2007
Very few lawyers in private practice make more money than an AD at an SEC school, and the ones that do would typically have less stress and hours by moving to an AD position. Only exception are the few plaintiff's lawyers that are successful with a lot of contingency work.
OK. Do you know why he's not a candidate or is he a candidate?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
OK. Do you know why he's not a candidate or is he a candidate?
I assume he's not a candidate because he has very little relevant experience even if he is smart and personable and otherwise capable. But for all I know he was approached about the possibility and he is one of those rare attorneys that make more than an SEC AD without insane workloads and stress. I wasn't meaning to imply I had any idea whether he in particular makes more or less than an SEC AD, just pointing out that statistically, it would be unlikely for a lawyer in Starkville to make so much money that the AD position wouldn't be attractive.

Reactions: was21

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
No name specifically. Was told not to believe everything you hear. So no real info really. I would say I'd doubt one of the three listed here though. He would be a terrible fit now.
Benko would be my MSU best guess as next AD.

"So no real info really"

This is the Cooterpoot mantra...

Reactions: PK Dawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve got a guy who isn’t connected to the athletic department but is well connected to Keenum and the political side of the university. He swears that Vic Shaefer is the leader for the new AD position. I can’t see it personally but this guy usually knows what he is talking about.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve got a guy who isn’t connected to the athletic department but is well connected to Keenum and the political side of the university. He swears that Vic Shaefer is the leader for the new AD position. I can’t see it personally but this guy usually knows what he is talking about.
I’ve got a guy connected to another athletic department who has been saying it’s Schaefer since Day 1. I dismissed it so this statement is interesting.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Its not going to be Vic Schafer
I don’t see it happening either. But, the man got us excited about women’s basketball. Let me repeat that women’s basketball! What could he do with a sport we actually care about?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login