Is the Bowl Game streak at risk?

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
State has made 13 straight bowl games dating back to the Gator Bowl against Michigan in 2011. In other words, as a grad student at State, the last time we missed a bowl game was when I was in the fourth grade. Question is, what are the odds that we get to 14 straight? Even JoMo kept the streak alive, albeit he had an EXTREMELY talented roster. How does this look on Arnett if the bowl streak is broken?

Reactions: thekimmer

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Definitely. It helps we got the Arizona win, but it’s hard to look at the schedule at see 4 more guaranteed wins. Maybe we could slip in with 5 wins (see 2016).

It’s also possible we improve, and the SEC looks down across the board. No reason to totally write off Arkansas, Kentucky, OM or even Alabama as guaranteed L’s.

Reactions: NawlBennyDawg

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
State has made 13 straight bowl games dating back to the Gator Bowl against Michigan in 2011. In other words, as a grad student at State, the last time we missed a bowl game was when I was in the fourth grade. Question is, what are the odds that we get to 14 straight? Even JoMo kept the streak alive, albeit he had an EXTREMELY talented roster. How does this look on Arnett if the bowl streak is broken?
This weekend is important for lots of reasons, this being one.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
100% at risk. And if we don't make a bowl with this experienced roster - we definitely aren't making one next year as well.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Oh hell yeah and it would look TERRIBLE for Arnett given the talent cycle he inherited. Slow mo joe did at least manage to win 8 games with what he inherited from Mullins and his offense looks 20 times better than this one.

Reactions: NawlBennyDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
You lucky SOB. May I suggest you start to talk to your elders than have experienced the Felker, Croom years. We can also advise you how to live with a successful basketball team since you’ve never experienced that either.
Here's a hint for you younger ones. The Felker and Croom years were exactly like the last 3 weeks have been. Except without the good 1st quarter vs Arizona. And they lasted for 5 years each.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
You lucky SOB. May I suggest you start to talk to your elders than have experienced the Felker, Croom years. We can also advise you how to live with a successful basketball team since you’ve never experienced that either.
A good basketball team is definitely new territory for me, I can only remember as far back as the awful Rick Ray years... As far as football goes, I've heard plenty of horror stories (i.e. "The Maine"), and South Alabama was probably the equivalent to the Maine game to me. Other than that, I have been pretty spoiled with football luck, although I cannot remember any time in my life when we have beaten Bama... and it's not looking very promising this year either.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Unless something suddenly clicks, product on the field has shown that Vandy is as likely to make a bowl game this season

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I lived through Charlie Shira in the 1960’s. If I remember correctly we had a couple of ties but went 3 years without winning a game. We finally kicked a late field goal to beat the Richmond Spiders 17 - 14 at Scott Field. I was a kid but literally saw adult’s crying after the game. We also had some years where we won 1 or 2 games. Finally Bob Tyler came along and eventually made us competitive. While everyone is frustrated I assure you that used to be much worse. When I was in the 4th grade, we beat UM in Oxford ended an 18 year losing streak to them. That was in 63 I think. Played in and won the Liberty Bowl that year. It was our first bowl since the 1940’s. Stuff like that helps us older fans gain perspective these days. We don’t like it any more than anyone else, but life goes on and you can’t let sub par football make you miserable. You only get one life, don’t waste part of it agonizing over football, which you can’t personally fix anyway. Just food for thought from an older fan.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I said six wins at the start of the year. We are exactly where I thought we would be right now. We will see how the rest of the season goes.

Reactions: wrapit

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
It's at risk if they don't come up with something allowing 4 or 5 win teams in this year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It's at risk. I think we'll know how at risk after Saturday. So far, we've beaten the teams we're supposed and lost to the teams we're supposed to, even if they were ugly games. South Carolina will be our first 'swing vote'.

I would say our win likeliness is in this order:
Western Michigan
Southern Miss
Kentucky
Arkansas
South Carolina
Auburn
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Alabama

So, draw a cut line somewhere in that list where you think we stop winning. If the number of teams above the line is less than 4, then we're not bowling.

Last edited:

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Is our program trajectory better or worse than it was in 2010 when it started?

I'd say at best it's the same, but probably worse. So who cares about the bowl streak?

The problem with our fans is that they have so much PTSD from Croom they let a no account thing like a bowl streak satisfy them.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
With as many worthless bowl games as there are now, if we don't make one, well........................................

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
It's at risk. I think we'll know how at risk after Saturday. So far, we've beaten the teams we're supposed and lost to the teams we're supposed to, even if both of they were ugly games. South Carolina will be our first 'swing vote'.

I would say our win likeliness is in this order:
Western Michigan
Southern Miss
Kentucky
Arkansas
South Carolina
Auburn
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Alabama

So, draw a cut line somewhere in that list where you think we stop winning. If the number of teams above the line is less than 4, then we're not bowling.
I gotta think 2 wins can be found in the remaining SEC games to go along with the 2 more out of conference games.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I gotta think 2 wins can be found in the remaining SEC games to go along with the 2 more out of conference games.
Right... I think as it stands right now, we pick up WMU and USM, then hope to get two out of UK, Arky, USCe, TAMU, Aub, and OM.

I think Kentucky's the most likely SEC win because it's a home and Eastern Kentucky gave them all they wanted. The problem with the other swing games is that they're all on the road, except Ole Miss.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I would rather the team make the Sam's American Choice Old Roy Dog Food Bowl or whatever than not make a bowl at all.
I used to be the same way, I'd watch any of them if it was football, but, I've found as I've gotten older there are better past times I enjoy than watching Minnesota St. play Western Northern Utah in the Pin Stripe Bowl on a baseball field in Yankee Stadium in snow in late December

Reactions: $altyDawg and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I used to be the same way, I'd watch any of them if it was football, but, I've found as I've gotten older there are better past times I enjoy than watching Minnesota St. play Western Northern Utah in the Pin Stripe Bowl on a baseball field in Yankee Stadium in snow in late December
Hayden Fox is going to have that team ready to play.***

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I would rather the team make the Sam's American Choice Old Roy Dog Food Bowl or whatever than not make a bowl at all.
We need the bowl game for the extra practice. That's all.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I just think the streak is cool. It shows a level of consistency over 14 years that less than 10 other teams have enjoyed.
I agree. I'd certainly rather have it than not have it, even if we've had to beg, borrow, steal, and graduate players to keep it.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Yes.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Given the talent he inherited, it would look turrribul. Things needs to change now. Offensively - Our O line can't be revamped in a week, but we have to work in ways to get the ball out into space quickly to our playmakers. Call it air raid. Call it dink and dunk. I don't care what you call it. But strings of 4-yard passes are better than strings of 3-and-out's. Some things that we're doing or not doing just don't make sense. Why run the same mix of plays when they aren't working? Turn the page! (if there is another page). Why not give Creed Whittemore some touches. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he scored twice the first game but for some reason hasn't touched the ball since. Defensively something significant needs to change. We're missing a lot more than just a couple of players from last year's defense. CZA needs to take the controls and get it back on track. We can't keep doing what we're doing and expect different results. Rant finished. Where's the Tylenol?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's not like the SEC is lighting the world on fire right now. We will win our last two OOC games and will at bear minimum win two SEC game.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Is our program trajectory better or worse than it was in 2010 when it started?

I'd say at best it's the same, but probably worse. So who cares about the bowl streak?

The problem with our fans is that they have so much PTSD from Croom they let a no account thing like a bowl streak satisfy them.
This is a take I completely disagree with. If you don't think making bowl games matters, then let me know how you feel if we go 6 or 7 years without making one, or only have one winning season in 10 years (2001-2009).

Trust me, there are plenty of programs in D1 who'd love to have our bowl streak.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
Everything is at risk.

Reactions: blitz2Win

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I don't see us making a bowl based on the first three games. It will suck to lose the streak.

Hail State anyway.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
A good basketball team is definitely new territory for me, I can only remember as far back as the awful Rick Ray years... As far as football goes, I've heard plenty of horror stories (i.e. "The Maine"), and South Alabama was probably the equivalent to the Maine game to me. Other than that, I have been pretty spoiled with football luck, although I cannot remember any time in my life when we have beaten Bama... and it's not looking very promising this year either.
What if I told you a story about a team where the defense only allowed 3 points all 17ing game and the defense scored 2 points? I would bet that there would be nothing I could say that would convince you that that team lost the game.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login