Is the cursive script &tate on the helmets copying Ole Miss? If so, do you care?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
That was an effort to help commoner fans of opposing teams identify us as Mississippi’s flagship university. We only write in cursive or calligraphy when we address other ole miss fans.
Funny. That’s another thing, I’ve wondered how many recruits, without knowing or being told, on a sheet of paper could even read what the new helmet logo says, especially with the capital cursive &. Kids today don’t use, or are taught cursive much at all anymore.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This thread went south quick without any help from me. I hate I missed out on stirring the pot

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I like the State script more than the banner. But it’s also impossible to argue that it’s not a generic logo

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I like the State script more than the banner. But it’s also impossible to argue that it’s not a generic logo
The banner M is hideous. I agree the script is a little generic but it looks good. We should’ve gone all in on the Script in 2016-17 before everyone started going for Script designs

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The banner M is hideous. I agree the script is a little generic but it looks good. We should’ve gone all in on the Script in 2016-17 before everyone started going for Script designs
We’ve already gone all in - on the banner M. It was done, and it’s nationally recognizable.

But, Moo U gonna Moo U

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Of course ole moss didn’t invent it, but where do you think the designers of script state got their inspiration?
First off, go to hell. Second, you're a giant failure in life and everyone would be uch happier if you ate all the **** out of your own ***. Third, the State script logo dates back about 50 years. Finally, go to hell again. Trolls are supposed to be clever. Do better.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Saw a script OM car tag today. Hate to say it, but it looked pretty good. I guess we can get script State tags as well.
You better find another board. We are not allowed to have nice things here.**********

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
To give you something to cry about when you tweet at 17 year old boys.
I realize you folks think you invented everything, but this is a State message board for State Fans, not for Mississippi fans.

By some way, you mistakenly found your way in here. Feel free to find another message board where you are not a good excuse to try the ignore feature.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
I realize you folks think you invented everything, but this is a State message board for State Fans, not for Mississippi fans.

By some way, you mistakenly found your way in here. Feel free to find another message board where you are not a good excuse to try the ignore feature.
I like it here. I’d be a member just for the weather updates.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Yeah, no other college uses cursive to spell their names and such except OM.**
The fact that any idiot thinks OM is the only team to do that is a troll or…troll.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Ole Mis started using the cursive Ole Miss along side the confederate colonel in 1970. They moved to just the cursive Ole Miss in 2002 to be politically correct. Since we had the cursive State back in 1960 it was they that copied us. Funny how they want to rewrite history.

Reactions: WilCoDawg and Dawgg

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Ole Mis started using the cursive Ole Miss along side the confederate colonel in 1970. They moved to just the cursive Ole Miss in 2002 to be politically correct. Since we had the cursive State back in 1960 it was they that copied us. Funny how they want to rewrite history.
We are talking about football use, and even more specifically on the football helmet.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
There aren’t any ole miss fans claiming to have originated the script, just some MSU fans worried for some reason that they may be seen as copying it. As they say, there is no thought that is original.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
The banner M thread made me want to asks these questions straight up, especially to those that are proponents of it. I’ve never heard anyone in favor address this.
Clearly, as it's a well-known fact that Ole Miss invented cursive

• Haha

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If the assignment is picking a mascot I’m obviously not going to be any help there. Maybe switching up every 5-6 years could be fun though…?
To be fair, you guys won more Bill and Bob's Regional Football Pamphlet National Championships back when your mascot was an old white slaveowner.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We’ve already gone all in - on the banner M. It was done, and it’s nationally recognizable.

But, Moo U gonna Moo U
Was it nationally recognizable though? Here in the DFW area, when I've worn something with the banner M (which is rare), I've had quite a few ask me what the logo was and one person tell me about how they have a cousin that went to Missouri State.

I don't know that I love the State script, but I like it a helluva lot better than the banner M. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. It's not going to make or break the university or the athletic department.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Was it nationally recognizable though? Here in the DFW area, when I've worn something with the banner M (which is rare), I've had quite a few ask me what the logo was and one person tell me about how they have a cousin that went to Missouri State.
Eight of the states have names which start with the letter “M.” Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Missouri, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Minnesota, and Maine. Any of those could be "M State" not to mention Morgan State, Minnesota St Mankato, Metropolitan St (MN), Mississippi Valley St, Missouri St, Missouri Western St, Montclair St, Mayville St, Minot St, Midwestern St, Metropolitan St (Denver), Moorehead St (KY), Murray St, McNeese St. It's just a dumb logo w/ no identity.......

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Eight of the states have names which start with the letter “M.” Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Missouri, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Minnesota, and Maine. Any of those could be "M State" not to mention Morgan State, Minnesota St Mankato, Metropolitan St (MN), Mississippi Valley St, Missouri St, Missouri Western St, Montclair St, Mayville St, Minot St, Midwestern St, Metropolitan St (Denver), Moorehead St (KY), Murray St, McNeese St. It's just a dumb logo w/ no identity.......
No identity huh. So how many schools around the country have “state” in their name? I’d bet more than eight.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login