It’s time. 2 of our 3 losses are inexcusable…

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Only thing that scares me is we have a pretty legitimate shot of us being below .500 with our next hire.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Doesn’t really matter if we get worse. I’m not watching anyways and neither are the people in my group of friends. It’s time to look at coaches that run actual offenses and not try to hire a name coach. Plenty of small school guys that have fire that are doing great things with their team that would love a shot at making 1.5-2.5 million a year.

However, our admin hasn’t put any effort into making our basketball program solid. They treat it like a rec sport

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Only thing that scares me is we have a pretty legitimate shot of us being below .500 with our next hire.

That’s a given. Our program is dead and the coliseum needs a major overhaul. I know the LF lofts are unique and nice to have, but I’d rather have spent the money on the hump.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The trade off will be the talent that is brought in. So it's a catch 22.

I actually think Stansbury was a better floor coach than Howland.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There’s really nothing left to say. There’s no fire in Howland or the program, and we may not have 1500 at the Hump for our SEC home opener against #12 Ark.

Then, we all know will happen. We’re gonna beat Arkansas and Missouri just so that a few of us can somehow rekindle a glimmer of hope, only to get skulldrug by OM and hapless Georgia. We all know how this works

We gave it a shot with Howland, but this season needs to be his swan song. I think even he would understand that

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
That’s a given. Our program is dead and the coliseum needs a major overhaul. I know the LF lofts are unique and nice to have, but I’d rather have spent the money on the hump.
The lofts will pay for themselves within 8 years. It costs about 7 million from what I remember to build them.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Then, we all know will happen. We’re gonna beat Arkansas and Missouri just so that a few of us can somehow rekindle a glimmer of hope, only to get skulldrug by OM and hapless Georgia. We all know how this works
That sentence rings true.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I cant think of $50 million with less ROI than the Hump.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
You misspelled “unequivocally”, in regards to floor coaching…

Stans was a well above average coach, but his recruiting was disheveled and inconsistent. Still, it was way better than Adidas Ben’s.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Is it just a Mississippi Stare thing? Why are our fans so scared to get rid of a coach? Especially the ones they deserve to be let go?

There’s nobody better in the SEC than MSU at allowing programs to get to rock bottom before making a change

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
NCAA Basketball overall is just a bad product…
1. Go to quarters
2. Reset team fouls at the beginning of each qtr.
3. Widen the Lane to same dimensions as NBA.

It is hard to watch 2 elite teams playing each other, much less MSU.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We are very "accommodating" and friendly to opposing teams in basketball.

There's a reason why we aren't winning close games.

We are just playing

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You’re right. Since my wife graduated from Memphis, we’ve watched a lot of the Tigers’ #1 recruiting class this season, and let me tell y’all… it isn’t any better than what we just saw today. Possibly worse

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is it just a Mississippi Stare thing? Why are our fans so scared to get rid of a coach? Especially the ones they deserve to be let go?

There’s nobody better in the SEC than MSU at allowing programs to get to rock bottom before making a change

What are you talking about?

We fired Moorhead after a 6-7 season. We fired Cannizaro after the opening weekend following a 40 win season & a Super Regional appearance.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

We fired Moorhead after a 6-7 season. We fired Cannizaro after the opening weekend following a 40 win season & a Super Regional appearance.
Cannizaro was a different set of circumstances. But you are dead on about Moorhead. And we will end up being a 18-20 win team this year. So that's definitely not rock bottom.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

So once. We had people that were dead set on giving Crooms more time. We had people that wanted to hang on to Jackie.

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012

To me it’s not a catch 22 when you are underachieving with talented players. That frustrates me more than anything. I can’t watch anymore stand there and dribble at the top of the key until 10 seconds left in the shot clock and then take a bad shot or turn it over. Howland should have been fired when he hired three Forrest Gump assistant coaches and that’s on Cohen. You got to have an X and O coach. This loss is inexcusable though.

Feb 23, 2008
This is so true. We had 3 chances to rack up some quality non conf

wins and we whiffed on all 3. The conference looks stout across the board. Something like 6 teams in the top 25 which is unheard of. So wins are going to be hard to come by. This season is completely shot already. Really no way around it.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
There's always people that want to give the current coach more time. But your theory was disproved. This board was literally started because people wanted to hang on to Jackie.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Howland’s recruiting has been an enigma. He was lights out the first couple years, but it’s weird to think how Carter and Q were the only real gems out of all that talent.

Then for the last 5 years, really his only strong class was the year he landed legacies in Perry and Woodard, and he’s been hovering around 9-13 in the SEC every other class. He’s been pretty strong with transfers, but something’s just not clicking overall

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’d say there’s a pretty big divide between my expectations when he was hired and what has actually transpired. Super frustrating.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Yeah this sucks, like sick to my stomach bad. I’m just trying to keep
in mind that we will have so much opportunity in SEC play to make up for this. We don’t have any bad losses

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I honestly don’t know why we expected anything different this year. Yes his team has talent, but so have most of his teams here.

It’s the same song on repeat over and over and over again.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Bill Murray says “hi” from the set of Groundhog Day

QUOTE=MSUDC11;1998653]I honestly don’t know why we expected anything different this year. Yes his team has talent, but so have most of his teams here.

It’s the same song on repeat over and over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
We should expect more this season. He has acquired some serious talent this year. He has all the pieces including depth. This team should be kicking ***. Our women's coach could do better with this team

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Not if we go get Gregg Marshall a contract right now before anyone else does. Do it now. Don’t wait. Do it.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Not if we go get Gregg Marshall a contract right now before anyone else does. Do it now. Don’t wait. Do it.

Are there really a lot of schools interested in a coach who just resigned because of physical and verbal abuse of his players, and maybe coaching staff too?

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Are there really a lot of schools interested in a coach who just resigned because of physical and verbal abuse of his players, and maybe coaching staff too?

Not to mention Marshall was making around 3.5 million at Wichita State and we are currently paying Howland a little over 2 million. I don't see our administration making that type of commitment to our basketball program.

CadaverDawg

Dec 5, 2011
I really thought with our depth this season, Howland may actually wake up and let this team run. You know, play to its strengths. I thought he might just put them in the best position to win. That he might just become a coach instead of just an Adidas pawn with a boring, ineffective offense. I was wrong. He is a horrendous floor coach, and he needs to go. Let's go ahead and take the lumps of the horrible replacement Cohen will hire, so we can speed up the process of our next decent hire. Nobody cares anyway right now, so the timing is perfect. Hell, nobody will even know or care if the whole bunch transfers out due to the coaching change...it may fly completely under the radar like when a tree falls in the forest.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
I was hoping for the same. With finally having depth and a very versatile team, over-all... why not push the ball up the court? Get more possessions and create a style that can wear down some of these teams we play with little to no depth (Minn) frustrating as ****

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
NCAA Basketball overall is just a bad product…
1. Go to quarters
2. Reset team fouls at the beginning of each qtr.
3. Widen the Lane to same dimensions as NBA.

It is hard to watch 2 elite teams playing each other, much less MSU.

Did you WATCH Gonzaga and Duke a few weeks ago? That had a national championship feel and was a GREAT college basketball game. The game ain't dead, MSU basketball is on life support so we're the patient at the hospital pissed at the world. Our view is other sick patients. It's not like we're on the beach in Malibu looking at the hot chicks. That's why college basketball looks bad right now.

But I'm 100% in agreement with you on your list of suggestions.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login