Its just so damn odd to not play Bama, Auburn, or LSU

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am not complaining as we are already set to play the current #1, #2, #5, #6, and #7 teams.
Its just odd to not play 3 teams that are so closely tied to MSU football and Saturdays in the fall.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Honestly, I couldn't care less whether we play any of those teams or not. We really only have one rival. It'll be refreshing to get our brains beat in by a couple of new teams this year.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It was getting stale playing the West/rotating east SEC schedule.

With that said, I'll never feel like aTm, Mo, Tx and OK are sec. What I would have liked to see as far as scheduling, is eliminating the divisions and a schedule rotation that included playing all 11 more often.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rivalries and tradition are part of what was lost in this transition to a TV product. Nobody seems to think about those things until it's too late. Happens at every level of sports, it's what the people want.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Rivalries and tradition are part of what was lost in this transition to a TV product. Nobody seems to think about those things until it's too late. Happens at every level of sports, it's what the people want.
No rivalries are being lost here. All the rivalry games will continue to be played every year.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No rivalries are being lost here. All the rivalry games will continue to be played every year.
MSU-LSU and MSU-Auburn arent rivalries, but they have generations long history.

We have played LSU every year since 1944...and the teams have played every year both fielded a team since 1925. Thats basically a century, for those who suck at math.
And it looks like we have played Auburn every year since 1954.

Whatever you want to call it- thats a damn long annual streak of playing other teams who are still in your conference but no longer on your schedule.
Dont call em rivalries, but the history really isnt much less.

patdog

May 28, 2007
MSU-LSU and MSU-Auburn arent rivalries, but they have generations long history.

We have played LSU every year since 1944...and the teams have played every year both fielded a team since 1925. Thats basically a century, for those who suck at math.
And it looks like we have played Auburn every year since 1954.

Whatever you want to call it- thats a damn long annual streak of playing other teams who are still in your conference but no longer on your schedule.
Dont call em rivalries, but the history really isnt much less.
It’s been a long time for sure. But nobody really cares about those games. Especially not at Bama, LSU or Auburn. Like I said earlier, it’ll be refreshing to lose to different teams for a change. But don’t worry, they’ll all be back in the schedule soon enough.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Right... we dropped Alabama and LSU just in time for Georgia and Texas to become the new Alabama and LSU.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s been a long time for sure. But nobody really cares about those games. Especially not at Bama, LSU or Auburn. Like I said earlier, it’ll be refreshing to lose to different teams for a change. But don’t worry, they’ll all be back in the schedule soon enough.
I kinda disagree about not caring about those games. Sure, Alabama and LSU beat us a LOT... like... A LOT... I liked those games for the same reason I've grown to like soccer over the years. It's like:
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
Then.... BOOM... one goes in and it's sooooooooo sweet.

Reactions: mstateglfr

patdog

May 28, 2007
I kinda disagree about not caring about those games. Sure, Alabama and LSU beat us a LOT... like... A LOT... I liked those games for the same reason I've grown to like soccer over the years. It's like:
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
fail
Then.... BOOM... one goes in and it's sooooooooo sweet.
That’s something I’ll never understand. Why do some of our fans actually enjoy getting beat down by Alabama & LSU so often. I 17ing hate to see us lose. A win over anybody is 1,000 times better than yet another loss to Alabama.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s something I’ll never understand. Why do some of our fans actually enjoy getting beat down by Alabama & LSU so often. I 17ing hate to see us lose. A win over anybody is 1,000 times better than yet another loss to Alabama.
The Masters and beatdowns by Bama and LSU.
Traditions unlike any other.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Eh I disagree, you’re thinking in TV ratings terms, I’m thinking in terms of the idealist football fan. And it’s all good, it’s not like it sucks watching us play Texas and Tennessee instead of Bama and Auburn, as far as year in year out. But I do value tradition, though Sankey and others obviously don’t.

This has been going on a while. Started with Oklahoma/Nebraska. I still can’t believe we quit Texas/aTm for so long. The public has spoken though.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Disagree. In a weird way, I would rather us lose a close one to Alabama than beat Mississippi Valley by 50. We might as well be in Conference USA if we want to feast on cupcakes.

While the ending of the 2017 Bama game was disappointing, I had WAY more fun watching that game than I did beating Charleston Southern 49-0 in game 1 that season.

I dunno... I feel like that was the cool part of being in the SEC West for so long... if we lost, we lost, but we lost against the best in the country. And when we won... it just felt so 17ing good. That 2014 game against LSU... heck... even the 2020 game against LSU... We would never had gotten to feel those feelings if we didn't have them on the schedule.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Disagree. In a weird way, I would rather us lose a close one to Alabama than beat Mississippi Valley by 50. We might as well be in Conference USA if we want to feast on cupcakes.

While the ending of the 2017 Bama game was disappointing, I had WAY more fun watching that game than I did beating Charleston Southern 49-0 in game 1 that season.

I dunno... I feel like that was the cool part of being in the SEC West for so long... if we lost, we lost, but we lost against the best in the country. And when we won... it just felt so 17ing good. That 2014 game against LSU... heck... even the 2020 game against LSU... We would never had gotten to feel those feelings if we didn't have them on the schedule.
If the bowls continue to be devalued and go away, I would agree. I’d disagree with you strongly in the past, because the bowls meant something and were a sign you were improving, thus attracted recruits.

In the current era, you need to be in the portal instead of practicing for a bowl (unless you’re in the playoff). But you still need wins. Beating Valley is a win. Losing to Bama is a loss. Until they value SOS much more than they currently do, you still need to have a good record. Playoff committee still thinks like 1988 AP voters unfortunately. They need to adopt a more NCAA basketball/baseball mentality for us to go all in on harder scheduling.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It’s stupid really!
Those three plus OM are our closest rivals.
I am not complaining as we are already set to play the current #1, #2, #5, #6, and #7 teams.
Its just odd to not play 3 teams that are so closely tied to MSU football and Saturdays in the fall.