It's Official.. Recession is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Theyre not moving the goalpost.

It’s like saying “the team that scores the most touchdowns wins the football game”. Thats almost always true - almost always.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I think everything is gonna be fine. We will pass the new build back better bill which thru increased Gov't spending and increased business taxation plus regulation will obviously lower the deficit, lower drug costs and lower inflation. In addition to all that we are continually increasing our diversity, which as you all know is our greatest strength. It's all coming up roses. Looking forward to 4 more years for Joe and the Democrat leadership. This red wave we speak of will dissipate around 3 am day after election.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sounds like you've talked yourself into a recession. Since you're panicking, what do you have for sell cheap?
Why do you have this idea that people want to panic sell with low prices because we're in a recession. People sell **** they can't afford and in a recession, since there are more people that can't afford things and there aren't as many buyers, buyers can often buy stuff for cheap. But people don't look at the economy and say "we're in a recession, let me do something stupid and sell stuff at a low value." They come closest with stocks, but the stock market is forward looking and you're often going to have already experienced the drop before it's obvious we're in a recession.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Theyre not moving the goalpost.

It’s like saying “the team that scores the most touchdowns wins the football game”. Thats almost always true - almost always.

You're a smart guy and I respect you, which is why I can't understand how you can say this with a straight face. "Two consecutive quarters of GDP shrinkage" has been the literal definition of a recession for decades. They're moving the goalposts, and it's not even debatable. It's either dishonest or unintelligent to even make an argument against it.

Last edited:

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
2 consecutive quarters with a negative GDP. I said we were in one already and so we were. It's gonna get worse before it get better no matter how they try to spin it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/28/gdp-q2-.html

Yawn…who cares my pockets have never been fatter and college football starts in 30 days…get your bread up and you won’t have to worry about anything

Highjack: Anyone on here joining Starkville QB Club this year?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Recession is just a word. Economy ebbs and flows over time. It’s what it does…..there is no such thing as perpetual prosperity. You’re not going to have a pandemic that kills 6 million people ever not have a major long term impact on economic activity. That’s what we’re dealing with regardless of what you call it.

6 million deaths is around .08% of the current population and more than 75% of those deaths were of people over 65. As tragic as that is, it's not something that is going to wreck the economy. Governments doing harmful stuff is what has caused the vast majority of the problem. Some of the harmful stuff was in response to the pandemic, and some of it was just because that's what a lot of governments like to do.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
When did we redefine vaccine? I missed that one.

If you believe the vaccine was designed to prevent infection rather than teach your immune system how to safely fight it and multiple future variants of it...

You realize the flu vaccines are both yearly boosters and the most probable several variants coming our way as well. And that it's still not 100% effective?

Sep 12, 2013
You're a smart guy and I respect you, which is why I can't understand how you can say this with a straight face. "Two consecutive quarters of GDP shrinkage" has been the literal definition of a depression for decades. They're moving the goalposts, and it's not even debatable. It's either dishonest or unintelligent to even make an argument against it.

I agree with you, but honestly, whether this is labeled as a recession or not is irrelevant. The economy is terrible right now, inflation is out of control, gas prices suck, the housing market is Ridiculous…those are facts. Doesn’t matter if someone wants to argue if we should call it a certain term or not.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
You're a smart guy and I respect you, which is why I can't understand how you can say this with a straight face. "Two consecutive quarters of GDP shrinkage" has been the literal definition of a depression for decades. They're moving the goalposts, and it's not even debatable. It's either dishonest or unintelligent to even make an argument against it.

Liberals are always moving the goalpost to fit their agenda. Noodle Jimmy is fitting right in.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Two consecutive quarters of GDP shrinkage has been the common definition of recession for as long as I am aware of, and the NBER has been the entity that has determined the beginning and end of recessions for the purposes of official records and they have used a definition that is a little more comprehensive and flexible. They have (I think) identified a recession every time there have been two consecutive quarters with negative GDP growth. They have at least once declared a recession when there was not negative growth in two consecutive quarters, but negative growth in two quarters with a quarter of growth in between.

This will be, I'm guessing, the first time we have a recession start when we have lower employment than we did two years prior.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Liberals are always moving the goalpost to fit their agenda. Noodle Jimmy is fitting right in.

Janet Yellen literally just said, from behind a podium in a press conference, that "we are entering a new phase of our recovery."

You can't make this **** up. And this is coming from the party of "words matter."

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Just wait till they redefine her words starting with the phrase "you are missing context". That's this administrations mulligan.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I agree with you, but honestly, whether this is labeled as a recession or not is irrelevant. The economy is terrible right now, inflation is out of control, gas prices suck, the housing market is Ridiculous…those are facts. Doesn’t matter if someone wants to argue if we should call it a certain term or not.

Things are bad. Americans are pissed off. That's the fact.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Political gamesmanship aside, there are some serious issues/challenges going on right now. Politics is just more interested in pointing blame quickly to the other side and arguing about blame rather than recognizing any reality about the situation and looking for a way to make things better. It's quite depressing if you dwell on it for long, but the Legislative Branch of our government is fundamentally broken.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Political gamesmanship aside, there are some serious issues/challenges going on right now. Politics is just more interested in pointing blame quickly to the other side and arguing about blame rather than recognizing any reality about the situation and looking for a way to make things better. It's quite depressing if you dwell on it for long, but the Legislative Branch of our government is fundamentally broken.

This is not gamesmanship. Your president once said this:

Now, I will concede that he probably doesn't remember saying this; he doesn't even know where he is half the time. But since saying that, he's done everything within his power to blame everyone and everything else for everything that's gone wrong for two years. Calling him out for this is not gamesmanship. Meanwhile, everything that's popped up has been "surprising."

He was "surprised" by inflation
He was "surprised" by baby formula shortages
He was "surprised" by Putin's aggression
He was "surprised" by gas prices
He was "surprised" by the Taliban's rapid takeover in Afghanistan

He actually said that about all of these things. Next up, he will be "surprised" by the recession we're in.

It's beyond parody at this point. It deserves to be called out. If we had an honest media in this country, it would be.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
You can't talk about unemployment without looking at the labor participation rate, which is still alarmingly low compared to pre-pandemic. It's a recesssion.

And you can't talk about the labor participation rate without accounting for retiring Boomers. The job market is hot, not cold.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And you can't talk about the labor participation rate without accounting for retiring Boomers. The job market is hot, not cold.

Objection, your honor. Embarrassingly and stupidly irrelevant.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This may be too simple of a question for this conversation but where do you think we would be now if this dumb son of a ***** hadn't declared all out war on the petroleum industry his first day in office ? I know there would still be MAJOR issues but I still wonder.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Why do you have this idea that people want to panic sell with low prices because we're in a recession. People sell **** they can't afford and in a recession, since there are more people that can't afford things and there aren't as many buyers, buyers can often buy stuff for cheap. But people don't look at the economy and say "we're in a recession, let me do something stupid and sell stuff at a low value." They come closest with stocks, but the stock market is forward looking and you're often going to have already experienced the drop before it's obvious we're in a recession.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Did you notice Fish’s original article is titled: “US shows negative GDP… A Strong Indicator Of A Recession”. Why do you think they stopped short of declaring we’ve entered one?

A good rule of thumb can be right 9 out of 10 times. This just might be the 1 out of 10 when it is not.

And, I love you too.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Did you notice Fish’s original article is titled: “US shows negative GDP… A Strong Indicator Of A Recession”. Why do you think they stopped short of declaring we’ve entered one?

A good rule of thumb can be right 9 out of 10 times. This just might be the 1 out of 10 when it is not.

And, I love you too.

Every media outlet in the country is using that language today.

AP: "The US Economy Shrank for a Second Quarter, Raising Fears That the Nation May Be Approaching a Recession."

Bloomberg: "The US Economy Shrinks for a Second Quarter, Raising the Odds of a Recession."

CNBC: "The US Economy Shrank 0.9%, Sending A Strong Signal That a Recession May Be Coming."

Yeah, I read all of those. It's almost like they all got the same memo.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This may be too simple of a question for this conversation but where do you think we would be now if this dumb son of a ***** hadn't declared all out war on the petroleum industry his first day in office ? I know there would still be MAJOR issues but I still wonder.

I would love to be in a position to find out.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not a Biden fan, but calling out any president of recent note that doesn't spend his time blaming the prior administration for all things negative and taking credit for all things positive is not exactly a keen observation. Now he could be planning a coup to try remain in office for a second term. That would be disturbing!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
its called acknowledging we are as a nation, as global human race, recovering from 2 years of grief, panic, fear, denial and death of people gone too soon. individually and collectively it impacts us, and takes time to heal.

all cylinders are not firing for all people right now, they will eventually.

When the political class declares war on the energy sector, looks to raise taxes on small businesses, and prints more money, they make it more difficult for all cylinders to start firing again. That's the problem.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Not a Biden fan, but calling out any president of recent note that doesn't spend his time blaming the prior administration for all things negative and taking credit for all things positive is not exactly a keen observation. Now he could be planning a coup to try remain in office for a second term. That would be disturbing!

It would also be unprecedented, but I don't want to get in the way of your ******** narrative.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
His rhetoric and action certainly might be contributing to the way oil companies are/are not investing in exploration and refining. It's also true that most people don't educate themselves on what is really happening but just listen to their brand of "news" and repeat talking points. I mean I had a family member who did not believe me when I told them that the Keystone Pipeline was pumping right along like always but Biden had stopped construction on Keystone II. He was certain that Biden had "shut down all the pipelines". I let him remain ignorant because what's the point in arguing facts.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Janet Yellen literally just said, from behind a podium in a press conference, that "we are entering a new phase of our recovery."

You can't make this **** up. And this is coming from the party of "words matter."

Damn mean tweets....lol

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
His rhetoric and action certainly might be contributing to the way oil companies are/are not investing in exploration and refining. It's also true that most people don't educate themselves on what is really happening but just listen to their brand of "news" and repeat talking points. I mean I had a family member who did not believe me when I told them that the Keystone Pipeline was pumping right along like always but Biden had stopped construction on Keystone II. He was certain that Biden had "shut down all the pipelines". I let him remain ignorant because what's the point in arguing facts.

Ironic.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Objection, your honor. Embarrassingly and stupidly irrelevant.
BoomBoom is one liberal worth listening to. dorn and his posse? Yeah they are just parroting the next talking point. But baby boomers are causing a pretty big disturbance in many facets - including job numbers and real estate.

And leadership of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login