It's Official.. Recession is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Why do you have this idea that people want to panic sell with low prices because we're in a recession. People sell **** they can't afford and in a recession, since there are more people that can't afford things and there aren't as many buyers, buyers can often buy stuff for cheap. But people don't look at the economy and say "we're in a recession, let me do something stupid and sell stuff at a low value." They come closest with stocks, but the stock market is forward looking and you're often going to have already experienced the drop before it's obvious we're in a recession.

You're probably right, panic selling isn't a thing. No one ever converts assets into cash when they believe assets will be worth less.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Wanna make sure I'm understanding you: retirements have no effect on labor participation?

They're already baked into the cake. Boomers were retiring pre-pandemic when labor participation was higher, too.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Perfect. Have an upvote.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
The two highest gas prices I’ve ever paid were under Bush and Biden. Are you sure those prices were policy driven?

That takes some pretty serious mental gymnastics if you’re answer is “yes”.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The two highest gas prices I’ve ever paid were under Bush and Biden. Are you sure those prices were policy driven?

Gas prices went from under two bucks to over four bucks per gallon in a matter of 18 MONTHS. It takes some pretty serious mental gymnastics to say it wasn't policy driven. They practically went up at a 45 degree angle starting on inauguration day. It's absolutely policy driven. It's what they want. It's part of the master design to push everyone to green energy and divorce from fossil fuel. You've got no less than the goshdamn secretary of transportation on the sunday talk show circuit telling everyone that the answer to the problem is buying an electric car.

And you'll never hear me make excuses for W. Bush. But I paid more for gas under Obama than Bush.

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You can’t live in the “It reaffirms my beliefs or it’s the liberal media” world.

You guys have to get back into reality. There is no Bloomberg Illuminati for the White House.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Another good question is what position would we be in if this dumb sob had not found all those votes and had lost ?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
This may be too simple of a question for this conversation but where do you think we would be now if this dumb son of a ***** hadn't declared all out war on the petroleum industry his first day in office ? I know there would still be MAJOR issues but I still wonder.
What a dumbass we have as President. Holy Sh**

And we have people on here defending him. Inconceivable!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You can’t live in the “It reaffirms my beliefs or it’s the liberal media” world.

You guys have to get back into reality. There is no Bloomberg Illuminati for the White House.

When the president and his lackeys come out the first part of the week to get ahead of the story and say "it's not really a recession," and then when the report comes out, all of the media acolytes start repeating the same message, it goes from news to state sponsored propaganda. You can talk about your tin foil hat theories all you want, but what I'm saying is what actually happened.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

So you're saying boomers weren't retiring in 2019?

There's nothing compelling in those graphs that indicate that retiring boomers are a driving force in the labor participation rate. It's not a surprise that more and more boomers are retiring, because more and more boomers are reaching retirement age. And I'm personally disappointed that in your 30 minutes of frantic googling to try and dunk on Drebin, this is the best you could come up with.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I mean it hasn't happened since January 6th, but yeah, unprecedented in this president's tenure. Have you made a conscious decision to be head in the sand about what happened and not look at a single piece of evidence or truth? I'm sure all those Republicans who testified to what happened on 1/6 are just lying RINOs who have been biding their time in the Republican party for decades just waiting on the moment to open up the old trojan horse on Saint Trump our lord and savior of all that is holy and just. His lifetime of benevolence, kind treatment of others and the way that he just walks in truth was far too much to let the charade go on any longer. Had to take him down! Imagine all those liberal democrats posing as repubs all those years just KNOWING their day would come to pull one over.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I mean it hasn't happened since January 6th, but yeah, unprecedented in this president's tenure. Have you made a conscious decision to be head in the sand about what happened and not look at a single piece of evidence or truth? I'm sure all those Republicans who testified to what happened on 1/6 are just lying RINOs who have been biding their time in the Republican party for decades just waiting on the moment to open up the old trojan horse on Saint Trump our lord and savior of all that is holy and just. His lifetime of benevolence, kind treatment of others and the way that he just walks in truth was far too much to let the charade go on any longer. Had to take him down! Imagine all those liberal democrats posing as repubs all those years just KNOWING their day would come to pull one over.

It didn't happen on January 6th either, but I love the spectacular self own in this post after posting this just a little while ago:

It's also true that most people don't educate themselves on what is really happening but just listen to their brand of "news" and repeat talking points.

Don't change, man.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
57stratdawg said:

If you can’t understand that Biden’s policies towards oil here has an effect on prices, you, sir, are the one doing mental gymnastics. As far as Bush’s prices, it wasn’t due to his policies towards oil but more on other things happening around the world. Biden could help with prices but we all know he won’t due to pissing off his greenies. Things besides screaming at gas stations to lower their prices I mean.

“By the middle of 2008, USA Today reported, oil prices spiked past $147 a barrel due to rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran, as well as supply disruptions in Nigeria and Brazil. That’s when prices hit their peak above $4 a gallon.”

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So you're saying boomers weren't retiring in 2019?

There's nothing compelling in those graphs that indicate that retiring boomers are a driving force in the labor participation rate. It's not a surprise that more and more boomers are retiring, because more and more boomers are reaching retirement age. And I'm personally disappointed that in your 30 minutes of frantic googling to try and dunk on Drebin, this is the best you could come up with.

Its... more. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand?

Literally the first sentence:

[h=1]What Has Driven the Recent Increase in Retirements?[/h] During the pandemic, the share of retirees in the U.S. population rose much faster than its normal pace. Typically, an increase in this share is driven by more people transitioning from employment to retirement. However, we show that the recent increase was instead driven by fewer people transitioning from retirement back into employment, likely due to pandemic-related health risks. More retirees may rejoin the workforce as these health risks fade, but the retirement share is unlikely to return to a normal level for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login