Ja Morant acting up again

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
there’s stupid, and then there is this. His initial stupidity likely cost him all NBA honors. That cost him 40 milllion in a supermax salary. Now I suspect he is going to start losing sponsors. Maybe even Nike. Guy is a complete buffoon

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I don't even know what to say anymore. Something tells me this his conversation with Adam Silver after the last incident had some pretty strict zero-tolerance demands in it, yet here we go again... I have no idea what will end up happening with this, but if this is all legit, I'd expect a lengthy suspension from the NBA without pay, and the Grizzlies are at least discussing voiding his deal. My 7 year old has more self awareness and maturity that Ja right now

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't even know what to say anymore. Something tells me this his conversation with Adam Silver after the last incident had some pretty strict zero-tolerance demands in it, yet here we go again... I have no idea what will end up happening with this, but if this is all legit, I'd expect a lengthy suspension from the NBA without pay, and the Grizzlies are at least discussing voiding his deal. My 7 year old has more self awareness and maturity that Ja right now
What’s really going to hurt is when Nike drops him.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
As a long term season ticket holder time to try and try is the word to trade him. Keep Tyus as the point get a stretch 3 and a big for him if some one will take a chance. I love the guy he is great with fans and man he sells tickets.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
As a long term season ticket holder time to try and try is the word to trade him. Keep Tyus as the point get a stretch 3 and a big for him if some one will take a chance. I love the guy he is great with fans and man he sells tickets.
This whole thing may 17 over potential moves because now you have to keep Tyus Jones.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He's an idiot and should know better. Only conservative politicians can get away with gun cosplay on the internet.

But seriously...he's a f17ing moron. I was rooting for him to turn it around. Not wasting any energy on that for now on.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Like most Memphis all star players, he'll end up as a LA Laker one day soon.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I admittedly haven't followed the reasons/rules behind the scenes.
What is the reason for his suspension from the Griz?

Is there a reason why he can't open carry that's in the CBA? Is it a team rule?

I am not defending him
I am just wondering why he is suspended since this behavior is legal in many places(open carry).

Reactions: AstroDog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

I am not defending him
I am just wondering why he is suspended since this behavior is legal in many places(open carry).
Image. Society seems to have carved out two large exceptions for people allowed to have gun fetishes - rappers and politicians. Anyone else that treats weapons so casually (or constantly has a boner for showing them off) in public is typically labelled as an idiot and should be avoided. Guns aren't toys and something normal sane people act so casually with. Combo that with the fact that athletes are viewed as role models and he's going to get hard pushback. I wouldn't want my kid looking up to him.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

I am not defending him
We are terribly sorry you can’t keep up with recent news and why Ja Morant is a buffoon.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Image. Society seems to have carved out two large exceptions for people allowed to have gun fetishes - rappers and politicians. Anyone else that treats weapons so casually (or constantly has a boner for showing them off) in public is typically labelled as an idiot and should be avoided. Guns aren't toys and something normal sane people act so casually with. Combo that with the fact that athletes are viewed as role models and he's going to get hard pushback. I wouldn't want my kid looking up to him.
Most politicians aren’t waving guns around like idiots. And yes there is a difference taking a pic holding a gun responsibly and holding one irresponsibly trying to act like a gangster.

If you can’t see the difference, that’s on you.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

I am not defending him

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Most politicians aren’t waving guns around like idiots. And yes there is a difference taking a pic holding a gun responsibly and holding one irresponsibly trying to act like a gangster.

If you can’t see the difference, that’s on you.
Of course most aren't. Most people have enough sense around weapons to not treat them so lightly. I'm speaking to foolish outliers. Treating guns like a damn fashion accessory is a bizarre thing to do worthy of ridicule - safely and legally handled or not.

And I'm sorry for my "only" qualifier in my original joke. It was a joke. There's a handful of groups that have some weird obsessions with firearms. It's not just limited to conservative politicians (although I'd say they are the loudest).

Weird = using them as part of their identity and culture outside of utilitarian purposes (hunting, self defense). Gun fetish is lame.

Reactions: FQDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Of course most aren't. Most people have enough sense around weapons to not treat them so lightly. I'm speaking to foolish outliers. Treating guns like a damn fashion accessory is a bizarre thing to do worthy of ridicule - safely and legally handled or not.

And I'm sorry for my "only" qualifier in my original joke. It was a joke. There's a handful of groups that have some weird obsessions with firearms. It's not just limited to conservative politicians (although I'd say they are the loudest).

Weird = using them as part of their identity and culture outside of utilitarian purposes (hunting, self defense). Gun fetish is lame.
They only use them as their identity bc morons are trying to 17 with the 2nd.

It’s a way to get votes and it’s certainly not the most dishonest or weird way we’ve seen to get votes.

Ja Morant is paid as much for his appearance as he is for his skills on the court. Acting like a thug isn’t good for his brand or the grizzlies.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
I mean hell I'm from the Sip. Who gives a **** if he has a gun. I have like 5 pistols. Seriously what am I missing? He lives in Mempho. MF as well known as him better have a gun

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
I’d also like to politely request some unbiased context about Mr Morant and why he specifically cannot do this.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I wouldn't want my kid looking up to him either. He seems immature, superficial, and entitled. Basically, he seems like exactly how an absurdly wealthy young 20s guy with athletic talent would be.
None of that is role model material.

So he is suspended based on 'conduct detrimental to the league'.
That reason is so vague and wide reaching that this certainly could apply.
I hope he grows up soon.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I’d also like to politely request some unbiased context about Mr Morant and why he specifically cannot do this.
Unless he has a past felony we're not aware of, he certainly can be in possession of a firearm. Now regarding the NBA rules, I don't know legally what they can do. China basically owns the NBA and uses leftist propaganda to turn the U.S. public against gun ownership. But legally? I think he's ok. Being in a very gun-friendly area ARK/MS/ TN is probably a plus for him also.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I can see no better true embodiment of the city of Memphis than one Ja Morant.
Should Nashville be the true embodiment of transgender mass murders, and their main SEC school hospital providing sex changes to minors w/o parental knowledge?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Unless he has a past felony we're not aware of, he certainly can be in possession of a firearm. Now regarding the NBA rules, I don't know legally what they can do. China basically owns the NBA and uses leftist propaganda to turn the U.S. public against gun ownership. But legally? I think he's ok. Being in a very gun-friendly area ARK/MS/ TN is probably a plus for him also.
Should Nashville be the true embodiment of transgender mass murders, and their main SEC school hospital providing sex changes to minors w/o parental knowledge?

The subject is- Ja Morant possibly flashing a gun on social media.
You managed to rant about China owning the NBA, leftist propaganda, mass murder, and transgenderism.

Way to stay on topic.***

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I politely offer some hints why he can't do this:

"This comes two months after the league suspended Morant eight games without pay for “holding a firearm while intoxicated” inside a Denver-area strip club."

"Morant has violated and displayed a blatant disregard for the league’s code of conduct for the second time. He has been involved in other troubling incidents including one where he threatened a mall security officer, according to allegations in a Memphis Police Department report."

"Morant served a light eight-game suspension but has now embarrassed the league."

Last edited:
Reactions: turkish and ckDOG

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm like AJ Brown... you are what you consume. Be aware of who you are and what you're becoming before it's too late.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I politely offer some hits why he can't do this:

"This comes two months after the league suspended Morant eight games without pay for “holding a firearm while intoxicated” inside a Denver-area strip club."

"Morant has violated and displayed a blatant disregard for the league’s code of conduct for the second time. He has been involved in other troubling incidents including one where he threatened a mall security officer, according to allegations in a Memphis Police Department report."

"Morant served a light eight-game suspension but has now embarrassed the league."
There is also the time that some people he was with aimed a laser sight at security on arena grounds.

if I went out and filmed myself with a stripper and posted it to social media, I technically would not have done something illegal as long as I had her consent. I also should not be surprised when I was fired the next day. No one is saying he can’t have a gun. What you can’t do is wave it around like a moron on social media when you are one of the faces of two multibillion dollar corporations, the NBA and Nike. This is not a gun rights issue.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There is also the time that some people he was with aimed a laser sight at security on arena grounds.

if I went out and filmed myself with a stripper and posted it to social media, I technically would not have done something illegal as long as I had her consent. I also should not be surprised when I was fired the next day. No one is saying he can’t have a gun. What you can’t do is wave it around like a moron on social media when you are one of the faces of two multibillion dollar corporations, the NBA and Nike. This is not a gun rights issue.
Correct. The thing that casual sports people may not be aware of is that this is now the 5th incident in a string of “bad looks” in just the last year or so.

1. Ja and a friend assault a minor in his back yard during a pickup game after a verbal dispute
2. Ja and friends threaten mall security guard after his mom got upset at a Finish Line employee
3. After a game with the Pacers, Ja’s entourage starts getting into it with Pacers players and coaches and ends up pointing a red laser towards them after getting in an SUV. Security believes that it was a gun
4. Night club incident with Ja live streaming a gun
5. And now, Ja and his buddies rolling down the street with Ja waving a pistol around while singing

Was any of this illegal? As far as we know, no. Is this how Powerade, Nike, the Grizzlies, and the NBA want their role models to be portraying themselves in front of millions of kids and other fans around the globe? 100% not, and what makes this stuff indescribably worse is that he’s the idiot that was cool with live streaming all this in each case. Last time, I felt bad for him but now, I’ll be disappointed if Silver doesn’t drop the hammer. He’s taking a giant piss on all those that have stood up for him and tried to help him

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Correct. The thing that casual sports people may not be aware of is that this is now the 5th incident in a string of “bad looks” in just the last year or so.

1. Ja and a friend assault a minor in his back yard during a pickup game after a verbal dispute
2. Ja and friends threaten mall security guard after his mom got upset at a Finish Line employee
3. After a game with the Pacers, Ja’s entourage starts getting into it with Pacers players and coaches and ends up pointing a red laser towards them after getting in an SUV. Security believes that it was a gun
4. Night club incident with Ja live streaming a gun
5. And now, Ja and his buddies rolling down the street with Ja waving a pistol around while singing

Was any of this illegal? As far as we know, no. Is this how Powerade, Nike, the Grizzlies, and the NBA want their role models to be portraying themselves in front of millions of kids and other fans around the globe? 100% not, and what makes this stuff indescribably worse is that he’s the idiot that was cool with live streaming all this in each case. Last time, I felt bad for him but now, I’ll be disappointed if Silver doesn’t drop the hammer. He’s taking a giant piss on all those that have stood up for him and tried to help him
So I feel it necessary to really make sure its clear that I dont think any of this behavior is professional and if I were the team or league, I would be flipping out right now.

- If Morant were livestreaming him carrying a couple guns to go hunt, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant were livestreaming him shooting a deer, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant is in Tennessee for this livestream, where citizens can open carry a loaded handgun without having to possess a permit, what is he actually doing wrong? I am speaking only to his employment with the team/league. I am not speaking to endorsements as those companies can drop someone for whatever due to brand image. When it comes to the team/league, is he actually acting in a manner that is detrimental to the team? He is not committing any crime or breaking any law in that video. Based on state law, he can wave around a loaded gun without even needing a permit. So if the good people of Tennessee decided to let that be their law, then what is the issue here?
Does the NBA have a stated policy that players cant carry? If that is the case, then that overrides anything else. If there isnt a stated policy like that, then Morant is following state law.

^ Yes I am advocating for Lucifer's viewpoint here. It would be nice to better understand exactly why he was suspended(beyond 'detrimental to team/league') since the good people of Tennessee what Morant to be able to do what he did as a private citizen.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
So I feel it necessary to really make sure its clear that I dont think any of this behavior is professional and if I were the team or league, I would be flipping out right now.

- If Morant were livestreaming him carrying a couple guns to go hunt, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant were livestreaming him shooting a deer, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant is in Tennessee for this livestream, where citizens can open carry a loaded handgun without having to possess a permit, what is he actually doing wrong? I am speaking only to his employment with the team/league. I am not speaking to endorsements as those companies can drop someone for whatever due to brand image. When it comes to the team/league, is he actually acting in a manner that is detrimental to the team? He is not committing any crime or breaking any law in that video. Based on state law, he can wave around a loaded gun without even needing a permit. So if the good people of Tennessee decided to let that be their law, then what is the issue here?
Does the NBA have a stated policy that players cant carry? If that is the case, then that overrides anything else. If there isnt a stated policy like that, then Morant is following state law.

^ Yes I am advocating for Lucifer's viewpoint here. It would be nice to better understand exactly why he was suspended(beyond 'detrimental to team/league') since the good people of Tennessee what Morant to be able to do what he did as a private citizen.
Guns are tools. If you are using it for hunting and filming that, nobody cares (assuming it's safe gun use and ignoring the anti hunting people - but that's irrelevant here).

Ja is dancing with a gun and pointing it near his head. Perfectly legal. Nobody is arguing it isn't. It's completely moronic. Kids don't need to see that **** bc they'll mimic it and may end up shooting themselves or a bystander. It's irresponsible gun use and shouldn't be glorified by people that others look up to. The NBA or Memphis grizzlies wants no part of that. Responsible gun owners that support unrestricted access to firearms don't want that either. "Because you can" is rarely a good excuse for anything.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login