Ja Morant acting up again

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
The subject is- Ja Morant possibly flashing a gun on social media.
You managed to rant about China owning the NBA, leftist propaganda, mass murder, and transgenderism.

Way to stay on topic.**
It went off topic when the OP said Ja's actions were the embodiment of the City of Memphis. Why pick on one city when equal or worse things happen in other cities? To be honest, I'd rather be in a gang in Memphis flashing a gun than a doctor at Vanderbilt who just performed a sex change surgery, or a transgender who gunned down 3 elderly and 3 children at a Christian school. I don't think the latter are the embodiment of the people of Nashville, nor do I think what Ja did is the embodiment of the City of Memphis.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Guns are tools. If you are using it for hunting and filming that, nobody cares (assuming it's safe gun use and ignoring the anti hunting people - but that's irrelevant here).

Ja is dancing with a gun and pointing it near his head. Perfectly legal. Nobody is arguing it isn't. It's completely moronic. Kids don't need to see that **** bc they'll mimic it and may end up shooting themselves or a bystander. It's irresponsible gun use and shouldn't be glorified by people that others look up to. The NBA or Memphis grizzlies wants no part of that. Responsible gun owners that support unrestricted access to firearms don't want that either. "Because you can" is rarely a good excuse for anything.
Fully agree with all this.
He would be close to gone at this point if I were filthy rich and owned a team he was on.
17 it- take the asset loss for about 2 years and rebuild. Brooks would be gone too though, if only because his play almost never matches his talk.

Last edited:

TechDawg74

Mar 3, 2008
So I feel it necessary to really make sure its clear that I dont think any of this behavior is professional and if I were the team or league, I would be flipping out right now.

- If Morant were livestreaming him carrying a couple guns to go hunt, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant were livestreaming him shooting a deer, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant is in Tennessee for this livestream, where citizens can open carry a loaded handgun without having to possess a permit, what is he actually doing wrong? I am speaking only to his employment with the team/league. I am not speaking to endorsements as those companies can drop someone for whatever due to brand image. When it comes to the team/league, is he actually acting in a manner that is detrimental to the team? He is not committing any crime or breaking any law in that video. Based on state law, he can wave around a loaded gun without even needing a permit. So if the good people of Tennessee decided to let that be their law, then what is the issue here?
Does the NBA have a stated policy that players cant carry? If that is the case, then that overrides anything else. If there isnt a stated policy like that, then Morant is following state law.

^ Yes I am advocating for Lucifer's viewpoint here. It would be nice to better understand exactly why he was suspended(beyond 'detrimental to team/league') since the good people of Tennessee what Morant to be able to do what he did as a private citizen.
The gun is not holstered or sheathed. It could be argued that he is brandishing the weapon, although maybe not in a threating way. Even though MS is a constitutional carry state and open carry is allowed, I am pretty sure you cannot just wave a gun, loaded or unloaded, around in a vehicle if you are on a public road. The weapon is to be holstered or sheathed. I would be surprised if TN is much different.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Sep 15, 2009
They only use them as their identity bc morons are trying to 17 with the 2nd.
No, it's Morons who believe people are trying to 17 with the 2nd. I'm amazed how gullible people are. Obama had two years as President where Dems controlled both houses of Congress, and could pass any legislation they wanted. Did they take your guns? Biden had two years as President where Dems controlled both houses of Congress - did they take your guns? Nope.

Simple formula, convince the idiots the sky is falling, and then go sell umbrellas. For the record, I have nothing against guns. I have something against gullible idiots.

Reactions: FQDawg

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Unless he has a past felony we're not aware of, he certainly can be in possession of a firearm. Now regarding the NBA rules, I don't know legally what they can do. China basically owns the NBA and uses leftist propaganda to turn the U.S. public against gun ownership. But legally? I think he's ok. Being in a very gun-friendly area ARK/MS/ TN is probably a plus for him also.
Sigh

Sep 15, 2009
The gun is not holstered or sheathed. It could be argued that he is brandishing the weapon, although maybe not in a threating way. Even though MS is a constitutional carry state and open carry is allowed, I am pretty sure you cannot just wave a gun, loaded or unloaded, around in a vehicle if you are on a public road. The weapon is to be holstered or sheathed. I would be surprised if TN is much different.
That's called brandishing, and is illegal even in open carry. It is also assault if you threaten with it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No, it's Morons who believe people are trying to 17 with the 2nd. I'm amazed how gullible people are. Obama had two years as President where Dems controlled both houses of Congress, and could pass any legislation they wanted. Did they take your guns? Biden had two years as President where Dems controlled both houses of Congress - did they take your guns? Nope.

Simple formula, convince the idiots the sky is falling, and then go sell umbrellas. For the record, I have nothing against guns. I have something against gullible idiots.
Well then it should be really easy to write gun legislation and make it very clear in that legislation they aren't coming after ANY guns that are currently legal.

And several people are on record as saying they are coming after those. Even Lets Go Brandon is on video saying. Now i certainly understand he doesn't always mean what he says or even know at times.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Yeah it may have cost him tens of millions of dollars, but there's a certain portion of the population who would consider him a punk or a nerd (or worse) for bowing down, following rules, doing what the man says. He'd rather be seen as hard in their eyes than worry about money or his future.

I'm sure his crew is impressed and proud of him for being controversial. He doesn't realize yet how fast they will drop any interest in following him around once the money dries up. It's a shame.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So I feel it necessary to really make sure its clear that I dont think any of this behavior is professional and if I were the team or league, I would be flipping out right now.

- If Morant were livestreaming him carrying a couple guns to go hunt, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant were livestreaming him shooting a deer, would that be acceptable?
- If Morant is in Tennessee for this livestream, where citizens can open carry a loaded handgun without having to possess a permit, what is he actually doing wrong? I am speaking only to his employment with the team/league. I am not speaking to endorsements as those companies can drop someone for whatever due to brand image. When it comes to the team/league, is he actually acting in a manner that is detrimental to the team? He is not committing any crime or breaking any law in that video. Based on state law, he can wave around a loaded gun without even needing a permit. So if the good people of Tennessee decided to let that be their law, then what is the issue here?
Does the NBA have a stated policy that players cant carry? If that is the case, then that overrides anything else. If there isnt a stated policy like that, then Morant is following state law.

^ Yes I am advocating for Lucifer's viewpoint here. It would be nice to better understand exactly why he was suspended(beyond 'detrimental to team/league') since the good people of Tennessee what Morant to be able to do what he did as a private citizen.
Really not surprised that you would equate a video of someone hunting to a video of someone waving a gun in the air carelessly while reciting rap lyrics talking about shooting people.

And if he is in Memphis, there are stricter gun laws inside the city limits that don't apply to all those red devils you're looking to demonize out in the country.

Your biggest problem is that you don't have a mechanism in your brain that tells you "maybe I shouldn't post something that makes me look like a piece of **** on SPS," much like Morant doesn't have a mechanism in his brain that tells him "maybe I shouldn't wave a gun around after already losing millions and jeopardizing my livelihood more than once in the past."

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

You're actually destroying that which you are trying to defend.

Obama and Biden, both with dems controlling both houses for a period of time, did nothing about guns. But the minute a mass shooting happens and republicans control at least one branch of gov't, they all can't wait to find a microphone to blame republicans and call for gun bans.

Democrats aren't interested in gun control. It's just another political game they play to divide folks when it's politically convenient to do so.

Republicans do it too.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I am going to blow this :poop: up.

I have a gun in my pocket right now. I have never felt the need to pull it out and wave it around when Bounty Hunter or Mississippi Kid is playing on the radio. Keep telling ourselves that the thug type hip hop music doesn't influence some of these kids outside of their up-bringing.

Boom. Flame away.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Really not surprised that you would equate a video of someone hunting to a video of someone waving a gun in the air carelessly while reciting rap lyrics talking about shooting people.

And if he is in Memphis, there are stricter gun laws inside the city limits that don't apply to all those red devils you're looking to demonize out in the country.

Your biggest problem is that you don't have a mechanism in your brain that tells you "maybe I shouldn't post something that makes me look like a piece of **** on SPS," much like Morant doesn't have a mechanism in his brain that tells him "maybe I shouldn't wave a gun around after already losing millions and jeopardizing my livelihood more than once in the past."
I did not equate a hunting video with what Morant did. I mentioned it because I wondered aloud if that would be seen as acceptable by the team/league. That isnt equating the two acts. That is me asking about a related act and wondering how the reaction would be.

I also am not looking to demonize anyone. WT17 are you even soapboxing about?

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
He is a microcosm of one of the many unhealthy obsessions with guns in our country. He deserves a half a year suspension with no pay. He deserves to lose all his endorsements. Maybe then he will learn.

I have his jersey and love watching him play basketball. My kids won’t have his jersey though. He is an idiot and shouldn’t be held up as someone to aspire to be. Ja should be an example of what hubris and selfishness can do to someone with all the talent in the world.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I did not equate a hunting video with what Morant did. I mentioned it because I wondered aloud if that would be seen as acceptable by the team/league. That isnt equating the two acts. That is me asking about a related act and wondering how the reaction would be.

I also am not looking to demonize anyone. WT17 are you even soapboxing about?
"How dare you accuse me of doing exactly what I did in my previous post!"

Dubmass.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
If he hadn’t already had the incident in the Denver nightclub then this incident probably wouldn’t be so bad. The nightclub incident was incredibly dangerous, reckless and stupid. He was waving a gun around in a packed nightclub. It could’ve gone off and he could’ve killed somebody. This incident isn’t nearly as bad, as he was in his car. In a vacuum, it’s not that big of a deal. But it shows he didn’t learn his lesson from the first incident. He seems to have an obsession with guns and the gangster lifestyle. He absolutely needs the hammer dropped so maybe he can understand the self destructive path he is on.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Most politicians aren’t waving guns around like idiots. And yes there is a difference taking a pic holding a gun responsibly and holding one irresponsibly trying to act like a gangster.

If you can’t see the difference, that’s on you.
When showing weapons, we prefer non-gangsterish things like...
<p>Andy Ogles and his family pose for a 2021 Christmas photo with firearms in an image published on his Facebook page</p>

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"How dare you accuse me of doing exactly what I did in my previous post!"

Dubmass.
Its like you dont know what the term 'equating' means.

I have been very clear in this thread that I dont support what Morant did, I completely understand if endorsements go away, and even said I would trade/cut him if I were a goofy rich team owner who could afford to make a statement.
I am not actually defending him or his actions. You continue to struggle to understand nuance.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Its like you dont know what the term 'equating' means.

I have been very clear in this thread that I dont support what Morant did, I completely understand if endorsements go away, and even said I would trade/cut him if I were a goofy rich team owner who could afford to make a statement.
I am not actually defending him or his actions. You continue to struggle to understand nuance.
fail black and white GIF

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m going to start a thread about cross stitching just to see how many posts it can get to before it is simply people yelling at each other about guns and the second amendment and/or Biden and trump
Put me down for background checks, red flag laws, limiting the possession of really large needles and the reenacting of the law banning assault needles.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well at least this is a funny response. Its better than the responses where you dont know what you are saying or are arguing against.
If we still had funny upvote/downvote names, I would give you a funny upvote. Congrats.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If he hadn’t already had the incident in the Denver nightclub then this incident probably wouldn’t be so bad. The nightclub incident was incredibly dangerous, reckless and stupid. He was waving a gun around in a packed nightclub. It could’ve gone off and he could’ve killed somebody. This incident isn’t nearly as bad, as he was in his car. In a vacuum, it’s not that big of a deal. But it shows he didn’t learn his lesson from the first incident. He seems to have an obsession with guns and the gangster lifestyle. He absolutely needs the hammer dropped so maybe he can understand the self destructive path he is on.
From what I've seen Morant's punishment is not necessarily based on his breaking any written rule but is based on a clause in the NBA collective bargaining agreement giving the commissioner full discretionary power to hand down punishments when he feels like a player's actions are detrimental to the league. Is this correct ?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

- If Morant were livestreaming him carrying a couple guns to go hunt, would that be acceptable? Yes
- If Morant were livestreaming him shooting a deer, would that be acceptable? Yes
- If Morant is in Tennessee for this livestream, where citizens can open carry a loaded handgun without having to possess a permit, what is he actually doing wrong?
Morant owning and/or carrying a gun is not the problem here. The problem is his recklessness while doing so and utter disregard for a weapon’s ability to harm himself, those around him, or even someone he doesn’t know.

A few other comparisons…. Swinging a bat at a little league baseball game. Ok. Twirling a bat around over your head in a parking lot as parents/kids are walking through it. Not ok

Driving a car with a license. Ok. Doing donuts in a Kroger parking lot as bystanders walk in and out of the store. Not ok

Carrying a pocket knife. Ok. Pulling a pocket knife out in a public area and whirling it around while you jam to your favorite song. Not ok

Just this past Saturday night, my 7 year old had his first live drum performance at a small burger bar, and I weirdly just so happened to be looking out the window when a biker was harmlessly messing with his Harley, and he leaned over just enough to where I could see his firearm on his right hip. Now, for all I know, if something crazy had gone down that night, he might’ve been the first person to step in and protect us, but I admittedly cringed when I saw the gun on a guy no more than 10 feet away from a place full of kids. After a minute, I told myself that this fella was doing absolutely nothing wrong because he was exercising his rights while treating the weapon he owned with the proper respect. On the other hand, if this same man had entered the restaurant, turned his IG live feed on, and started waving said gun in the air, I might’ve gotten my teeth kicked in but we would’ve had words

Bottom line, I’m not aware of anything illegal that Morant has done, but I’d expect the same respect for a weapon from him that I’d expect from anyone, and the fact that he’s showing millions of young followers around the world that this kinda behavior is cool live on IG just makes it exponentially worse. He may not have asked for this life as a role model, but he’s got to grow up and recognize that he is one.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Morant owning and/or carrying a gun is not the problem here. The problem is his recklessness while doing so and utter disregard for a weapon’s ability to harm himself, those around him, or even someone he doesn’t know.

A few other comparisons…. Swinging a bat at a little league baseball game. Ok. Twirling a bat around over your head in a parking lot as parents/kids are walking through it. Not ok

Driving a car with a license. Ok. Doing donuts in a Kroger parking lot as bystanders walk in and out of the store. Not ok

Carrying a pocket knife. Ok. Pulling a pocket knife out in a public area and whirling it around while you jam to your favorite song. Not ok

Just this past Saturday night, my 7 year old had his first live drum performance at a small burger bar, and I weirdly just so happened to be looking out the window when a biker was harmlessly messing with his Harley, and he leaned over just enough to where I could see his firearm on his right hip. Now, for all I know, if something crazy had gone down that night, he might’ve been the first person to step in and protect us, but I admittedly cringed when I saw the gun on a guy no more than 10 feet away from a place full of kids. After a minute, I told myself that this fella was doing absolutely nothing wrong because he was exercising his rights while treating the weapon he owned with the proper respect. On the other hand, if this same man had entered the restaurant, turned his IG live feed on, and started waving said gun in the air, I might’ve gotten my teeth kicked in but we would’ve had words

Bottom line, I’m not aware of anything illegal that Morant has done, but I’d expect the same respect for a weapon from him that I’d expect from anyone, and the fact that he’s showing millions of young followers around the world that this kinda behavior is cool live on IG just makes it exponentially worse. He may not have asked for this life as a role model, but he’s got to grow up and recognize that he is one.
Good post. No doubt Morant is stupid. His handling of guns is stupid. I also think that any culture that thinks that they can't leave their house without packing is stupid. Fear is a terrible decision maker, and I think that is also a huge issue with our entire current gun fetish culture. We literally have dudes sitting at home shooting kids for playing hide and seek in their yard, no doubt hyped up on fear based media telling them they are in mortal danger every waking minute from the bad guys...

Reactions: FQDawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Should Nashville be the true embodiment of transgender mass murders, and their main SEC school hospital providing sex changes to minors w/o parental knowledge?

You are talking about one day in the city of Nashville v a whole culture in Memphis that happens on the daily.

Nashville = country music. (for the most part)
Memphis = rap music (for the most part).

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Good post. No doubt Morant is stupid. His handling of guns is stupid. I also think that any culture that thinks that they can't leave their house without packing is stupid. Fear is a terrible decision maker, and I think that is also a huge issue with our entire current gun fetish culture. We literally have dudes sitting at home shooting kids for playing hide and seek in their yard, no doubt hyped up on fear based media telling them they are in mortal danger every waking minute from the bad guys...
What an odd way to agree with Jerry’s post. What dudes?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Respectfully, do you think this is an accurate representation of tens of millions of responsible American gun enthusiasts.

Your post looks a lot like fear mongering. Wasn’t that the behavior you were intending to criticize?
Absolutely not, as I am one of those. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. Unloaded guns are what kill people, etc. All great advice for the person looking to exhibit gun safety.

However, we aren't in those times any longer. I could easily point to multiple similar incidents just this year that would indicate to any objective human that too many guns are getting the hands of the wrong people. I also don't plan to get rid of any of my shotguns, hunting rifles or pistols.
There is also clear data that mass shootings were lessened by the former "ban on assault rifles". I also don't like the term assault rifles because it too is pretty meaningless and politically abused. I also would like to see the will of vast majority of Americans recognized in the form of common sense gun regs, universal background checks and red flag laws. I'm also aware that there is no perfect solution, but believe that doing nothing is a certain non-solutions. Life is full of nuance and multiple things can be true.

Reactions: turkish

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Absolutely not, as I am one of those. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. Unloaded guns are what kill people, etc. All great advice for the person looking to exhibit gun safety.

However, we aren't in those times any longer. I could easily point to multiple similar incidents just this year that would indicate to any objective human that too many guns are getting the hands of the wrong people. I also don't plan to get rid of any of my shotguns, hunting rifles or pistols.
There is also clear data that mass shootings were lessened by the former "ban on assault rifles". I also don't like the term assault rifles because it too is pretty meaningless and politically abused. I also would like to see the will of vast majority of Americans recognized in the form of common sense gun regs, universal background checks and red flag laws. I'm also aware that there is no perfect solution, but believe that doing nothing is a certain non-solutions. Life is full of nuance and multiple things can be true.
I think I mistakenly inferred that you were referring to legal concealed carriers when you mentioned people that “can’t leave their house without packing.” I apologize.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m going to start a thread about cross stitching just to see how many posts it can get to before it is simply people yelling at each other about guns and the second amendment and/or Biden and trump
I mean this thread was about guns. Talking about guns is very on topic.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is the minority by a land slide and NO DOUBT YOU ARE SAYING SUCH CAUSE THE MEDIA HAS HYPED UP THAT LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE EVEN REMOTELY THE PROBLEM.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login