Jackson Airport

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Too late he said. I missed by two minutes apparently. No one else there. Hell I walked outside and watched the plane take off 15 minutes late. I could’ve walked my one bag down myself and been there in plenty of time. He just didn’t want to help and pretty much said so. And then I find out the Seattle airport where I’m headed was suffering from a cyber attack. Gonna be a long day

Not rocket science there player. Let me spell it out. App says check in cut off is 45 minutes prior to takeoff. I was here 1 hour and 15 minutes prior. That’s 30 minutes before cutoff since I have to spell it out to the keyboard smartass. I have a bag to check. He said I was two minutes late and would have to take next flight. Crap customer service was my point.

Next point was how empty this place is. Seems like it should be busier on a Monday but that’s just my thoughts. Put the two together and you might figure out I was thinking that poor customer service might just be why this place is empty.

as for the restaurants…. I am well aware that you have to go through security to get to them. But seeing as I have a bag to check and none of the employees here to check it means I’m stuck out in the terminal for a while. Just surprised there wasn’t anywhere to get a cup of coffee. And the little newsstand has a cooler that is out so no cold drinks either. Room temp it is. Look. I’ve got four hours to kill. If I need to explain further I will be glad to.
you must be a wyte guy - they don’t serve your kind there

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I guess you guys know that if you are good pals with @dawgstudent you can fly private on the SPS jet

That’ll be the… Blue Jet, right?

Orlando Airport Mco GIF by Orlando International Airport (MCO)

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I have a little secret for you. The FAA bars licensure or certification of any airport location that is within a certain proximity of an existing airport. Believe me, when the black nationalists who run the city that controls JAN made it clear that they will have to be drug nearly dead to the negotiating table before they will consider a sharing arrangement for JAN's oversight, an all-out effort to find an alternative location for an airport ensued. The location would have to be so far away from the metro that it made no sense.
So…. the Durant International Airport, it is!

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This place is an absolute customer service abyss. Got here an hour fifteen before flight. They won’t let me on. Two people at United counter. No one waiting. In fact no one in the terminal but me that doesn’t work here. Four people in baggage check laughing at me begging to get on flight. Absolutely ridiculous. Will never step foot in this place again. I guess checking in the 22 people on this flight was just too much.
That you expected an airport to actually have customer service labels you as an extreme “optimist”*********

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Tupelo has service to Nashville and will have service to DFW starting October 1
Contour is cutting flights to/from Nashville to do it though, only 1 flight to each city per day and one return flight now.

Tupelo to Nashville flight 7:45 a.m. w/ a return flight to Tupelo 11:15 a.m.

Tupelo to DFW 1:15 w/ a return to Tupelo at 5:00 p.m.

My guess is they are using the same plane for both destinations and parking the 5:00 return from DFW overnight and it carries you to Nashville and back the next morning.

There's an article in the Columbus/Starkville weekend edition online that says GTR is still pursuing a Westward flight as well but its not happening soon evidently.
Do you still have to get your bags and re-check them plus go through security again if you have a connection in Nashville?
I haven't checked a bag in so long not sure I would remember what to do. I've got a soft side bag w/ 4 compression straps that I can tighten down and get it in just about any hole in overhead or under a seat. It also has shoulder straps like a backpack so I can throw it over a shoulder or wear it like a backpack. Just got back from a 6 day trip and a month ago from a 10 day trip to the Bahamas and it was plenty large enough. Now my wife, she can't go overnight w/ just 1 bag. It takes her 3 for overnight and she won't even wear half of what she takes, damnedest thing I've ever seen. I'll never check a bag again ever. On the rare occasion I have to take a bunch of items for business, I ship that stuff UPS a week ahead to the hotel and then ship it back home too. Still cheaper than checking it and much easier to deal with

crackerjax

Aug 24, 2012
This place is an absolute customer service abyss. Got here an hour fifteen before flight. They won’t let me on. Two people at United counter. No one waiting. In fact no one in the terminal but me that doesn’t work here. Four people in baggage check laughing at me begging to get on flight. Absolutely ridiculous. Will never step foot in this place again. I guess checking in the 22 people on this flight was just too much.
Doesn’t matter what time you get to the airport. You have to check your bag 45 minutes before the scheduled take off or they won’t accept it. If you didn’t get your bag across the counter until 43 minutes to takeoff, that’s on you.

Reactions: patdog and Ers236

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
HIJACK: Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport? I always give a sad chuckle to that name. Who's flying international out of there?.. the Air National Guard?

Screenshot 2024-08-26 112220.png

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
That doesn't say anything about security. Last I heard you still had to go through it again in Nashville if you arrive on Contour connecting somewhere else.
No.. you don't have to go back through TSA. I used Contour just a couple of weeks ago and connected through BNA. Just allow about 20 minutes more than normal for connection because currently you have to get on a shuttle bus to take you the few hundred yards over to the regular terminal while it's under construction. It's very easy.

They will also transfer your checked bags if you're connecting to AA and booked your ticket all at once... though like other people who fly a lot in this thread, I haven't checked a bag (willingly) in decades.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
HIJACK: Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport? I always give a sad chuckle to that name. Who's flying international out of there?.. the Air National Guard?
Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport
Huntsville International Airport
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Mobile International Airport
Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport

They all do it, but Mississippians choose to make fun of Jackson. The technical reason behind it is what @Car Ramrod.sixpack said. But it's done mainly for marketing purposes, it's not difficult to get the infrastructure necessary.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

They all do it, but Mississippians choose to make fun of Jackson. The technical reason behind it is what @Car Ramrod.sixpack said. But it's done mainly for marketing purposes, it's not difficult to get the infrastructure necessary.
The distinction should be cargo vs people. VERY easy to get international cargo setup. Not at all easy to get regular commercial flights and secure passport stations, etc. So yes, it is probably correct to assume that none of the airports in that list that flys people non-stop to an international destination. The airports take liberty with connecting commercial flights to get the "international" distinction on their airport naming, as well as the fact they also most likely have international cargo and a long runway for the big cargo planes.

As you can imagine the list of non-stop flights to/from international places are major cities only. Here's that list:

Dulles International Airport
IAD

John F. Kennedy International Airport
JFK

Los Angeles International Airport
LAX

Chicago O'Hare International Airport
ORD

George Bush Intercontinental Airport
IAH

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
ATL

Newark Liberty International Airport
EWR

Dallas Fort Worth International Airport
DFW

San Francisco International Airport
SFO

Orlando International Airport
MCO

Charlotte Douglas International Airport
CLT

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
AUS

Boston Logan International Airport
BOS

Seattle–Tacoma International Airport
SEA

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
PHX

Miami International Airport
MIA

Denver International Airport
DEN

Nashville International Airport
BNA

Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport
MSP

Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
DTW

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
FLL

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
BWI

Tampa International Airport
TPA

Salt Lake City International Airport
SLC

Philadelphia International Airport
PHL

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
CVG

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
MSY

LaGuardia Airport
LGA

Chicago Midway International Airport
MDW

Raleigh-Durham International Airport
RDU

Myrtle Beach International Airport
MYR

Indianapolis International Airport
IND

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport
HNL

Portland International Airport
PDX

Sacramento International Airport
SMF

John Glenn Columbus International Airport
CMH

San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport
OAK

Kansas City International Airport
MCI

William P. Hobby Airport
HOU

St. Louis Lambert International Airport
STL

Dallas Love Field
DAL

Sarasota Bradenton International Airport
SRQ

Southwest Florida International Airport
RSW

Pittsburgh International Airport
PIT

Charleston International Airport
CHS

Orlando Sanford International Airport
SFB

Harry Reid International Airport
LAS

San Diego International Airport
SAN

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
CLE

Palm Beach International Airport
PBI

Buffalo Niagara International Airport
BUF

GrassDrills

Oct 2, 2023
Your mistake is flying United. Delta check-in at JAN is pretty well run. Sky Priority helps. Everyone knows air travel comes with inconvenience but sounds like your issue is with the United counter and not the Jackson Airport.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

View attachment 634832

Nissan and its suppliers fly cargo and machinery IN TO Jackghanistan from all over the world and all of that has to be inspected when it arrives, hence, INTERNATIONAL airport.

Reactions: patdog

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

mob is regional

Oct 8, 2023
I'm not calling you a liar, but the story seems kinda sketchy. Hard to believe they simply would not allow you to check in, for no good reason at all. Are you sure you weren't late? Even the biggest assshole in the world likely values his job more than just being a jackasss to a customer.
They have a hard cutoff at an hour, not hour and 15. I think he’s fabricating his timeline.

Sponge

Mar 31, 2015
I have a little secret for you. The FAA bars licensure or certification of any airport location that is within a certain proximity of an existing airport. Believe me, when the black nationalists who run the city that controls JAN made it clear that they will have to be drug nearly dead to the negotiating table before they will consider a sharing arrangement for JAN's oversight, an all-out effort to find an alternative location for an airport ensued. The location would have to be so far away from the metro that it made no sense.
SFO is about 10 miles from OAK, same for LGA & JFK, and NWK is 25-ish from those. ORD & MDW are within 15-ish miles. Tampa has a few. Plenty more examples of FAA certified airports in close proximity I'm sure.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
SFO is about 10 miles from OAK, same for LGA & JFK, and NWK is 25-ish from those. ORD & MDW are within 15-ish miles. Tampa has a few. Plenty more examples of FAA certified airports in close proximity I'm sure.
Those were all cleared with the “consent” of the governing authorities of the existing airport.

LIdawg1157

Apr 19, 2021
The airport is crap. Just flew out of there last week to go back to Atlanta. It hasn't changed in years other than moving the bar/restaurant to where it is. I swear I always get my hand swabbed there by TSA.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think we can all agree the population and need for additional airports is a little different in San Francisco, New York City and Tampa.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I like flying out of JAN, but the airport does have issues. I believe it can mainly be attributed to staffing issues (from having enough to the quality of what they have).

But that's becoming an issue everywhere. I tried to have lunch at McAlisters on County Line Road last week (the nice new one) and it should have been shut down for numerous health violations in just the dining area. Doesn't bother me, but the wife was grossed out enough to want to leave.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
San Jose airport only 34 miles from OAK and has all major airlines plus some. I've flown into all 3 Bay Area airports because prices can vary drastically

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Those were all cleared with the “consent” of the governing authorities of the existing airport.
Sort of, but not really. You're talking about the original formation of the airports, back in like the 20s. And commercial airports like those - they were existing fields and grew based strictly on demand.

However, @Sponge, there are 100% regulations on distance between airports, in a general fashion. Demand can trump that, but Jackson (and most other places) have nowhere near the demand for a second commercial airport. And even if there is demand.....the airlines can get political and push competition out. So for Jackson, the only option is relocation from the existing site, which would be fundamentally 17ing stupid, and won't happen based on that. The current airport is a great airport operationally and infrastructure-wise, and in a great location with plenty of room.

Issue at Jackson is the governance, and has been for a decade or so now, actually longer.

Reactions: Palos verdes

Sponge

Mar 31, 2015
Man, I fly out of Jackson somewhat regularly. I've never had an issue boarding. It's always been so quick and easy compared to other airports.

The only issue I've ever had there was about three years ago. I guess I was on the last flight in to JAN, and it was delayed by a couple of hours. When we arrived the crew that hooks up the breezeway had gone home. Ended up sitting on the plane for twenty minutes for them to find soeone to roll the stairs out.

But all in all I love flying out of Jackson when I can. Beats flying out of MEM or MSY by a long shot.
This has happened to me in Jackson too

Sponge

Mar 31, 2015
Sort of, but not really. You're talking about the original formation of the airports, back in like the 20s. And commercial airports like those - they were existing fields and grew based strictly on demand.

However, @Sponge, there are 100% regulations on distance between airports, in a general fashion. Demand can trump that, but Jackson (and most other places) have nowhere near the demand for a second commercial airport. And even if there is demand.....the airlines can get political and push competition out. So for Jackson, the only option is relocation from the existing site, which would be fundamentally 17ing stupid, and won't happen based on that. The current airport is a great airport operationally and infrastructure-wise, and in a great location with plenty of room.

Issue at Jackson is the governance, and has been for a decade or so now, actually longer.
Yea reading through the Airport Standards, it sounds like lack of demand would be the primary obstacle for justification. Agreed on governance. Economics of low volume certainly a factor too.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Jackson just needs to get rid of the 2 TSA checkpoints and separate terminals. Combine Delta, AA, United and SW into 1 terminal. The bars, coffee shops, etc have a chance with access to 100% of travelers.
Double the amount of time people will have to wait to get through the checkpoint and double the length of the terminal?

And you have to double the length of the terminal since JAN has nine gates and four airlines.

I’m thinking there are too many negative consequences here especially since most people here love the convenience and short lines.

Reactions: Sponge

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
Double the amount of time people will have to wait to get through the checkpoint and double the length of the terminal?

And you have to double the length of the terminal since JAN has nine gates and four airlines.

I’m thinking there are too many negative consequences here especially since most people here love the convenience and short lines.
No other airport the size of Jackson has multiple TSA checkpoints. Having 1 with increased capacity would reduce overall staffing requirements and still maintain less than 5-10 mins thru put.

Ok so 4 gates on the left side, 4 on the right and 1 at the end. If you can't manage to endure 4 gate lengths then maybe flying isn't for you. Have you been thru Atlanta??

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No other airport the size of Jackson has multiple TSA checkpoints. Having 1 with increased capacity would reduce overall staffing requirements and still maintain less than 5-10 mins thru put.

Ok so 4 gates on the left side, 4 on the right and 1 at the end. If you can't manage to endure 4 gate lengths then maybe flying isn't for you. Have you been thru Atlanta??
Of course I have.

But you know Mississippians’ favorite sport is Complaining so I’m just bringing up the obvious counterpoint.

I’m doubting that things will run as smoothly as you say simply because you know it’ll be busy only at certain times. I expect it to take about twice as long meaning that people will gaze longingly at MSY & MEM.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Correct. Definitely need to find a way to get all gates behind one checkpoint location, and consolidate the resources available.

People don't choose airports by ease of travel anyway, they choose by price first, then location. Ease in and out helps, but it's generally not a determining factor and like you said, it won't add much time if any. You'd just expand the capability of that one checkpoint. Happens all the time at forward thinking airports.

patdog

May 28, 2007

It won't be cheap to reconfigure everything behind one checkpoint due to the layout of the airport. Of course, that's never been an obstacle before. You'd probably have to build a walkway between the East & West end behind the ticket counters & baggage check area. You'd have to move the Civil Rights museum (room), which is actually really interesting if you ever have a few minutes to go through it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Several people that have flown in see the revolving carousel of professional back lit portraits of the city council and have asked me "what the hell is that??" and I just say, lets discuss that over a beer...

Reactions: Palos verdes

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It won't be cheap to reconfigure everything behind one checkpoint due to the layout of the airport. Of course, that's never been an obstacle before. You'd probably have to build a walkway between the East & West end behind the ticket counters & baggage check area. You'd have to move the Civil Rights museum (room), which is actually really interesting if you ever have a few minutes to go through it.
Exactly.

And since you’ve got all this proposed construction going on, there will be delays.

Serious Question: Is the TSA/security setup at JAN broken?

I don’t think it is. And it’s not broken, why the 17 do you want to 17 it up?

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

(not you, personally, Pat. I mean you in a general sense)

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
do yourself a favor: fly through gulfport or laurel/hattiesburg airports. clean, awesome customer service, not overly busy, expedient as well.
This^^^ Jackson and it's **** airport. New Orleans, Hattiesburg, Mobile, and Gulfport are all way better options.
I normally do not have issues either. Taking some things for work so had to check bag. Don’t need travel tips. TSA guy told gate manager what happened so I got some vouchers And an apology out of it. Not sure why the guy wouldn’t check me in. He was by himself and took off after he told me I was too late. I guess the IBS hit him because he hasn’t been seen since. Anyway. Main reason for my post was how few people were here. Still pretty empty.
Are you super cereal HIV positive you weren't late to the check in?

Not saying you're wrong about Jackson and it's airport being absolute shitholes, they very much are, but something tells me there's more to the story than you showing up "ahead of time" and the attendant simply not letting you check your bag. Me thinks you were late.

Crazy story... I once flew out of Jackson to Washington DC (can't remember if it was direct or not) AFTER 911 in the early 2000's. After landing in DC, I realized I had left a switchblade pocketknife in the front pocket of my carry on bag. It was an accident to have it in there, but Jackson security let me on the plane without even noticing it. Some scary **** for sure.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login