Jackson Airport

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I showed up one morning and the North end TSA screening machine was broken. So in desperation (I guess) they made everyone go to the South end terminal and go through the scanners. Then if you were using a gate in the North end of the terminal you had to turn around and walk back through the ticketing/lobby and to your gate and to the North gates. Uh, no, it wasn't safe at all because you walked right back out to where all the families were hugging and telling everyone goodbye, etc. They had a few random employees standing out there kind of keeping an eye on you but it was far from TSA approved I'm sure.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've flown out of the JAN dozens of times over the past 30 years, including to BWI (and return) at the beginning of August. I've never had a problem. it has always gone smooth, including the latest trip.

Get dropped off/picked up just steps from the counter/baggage claim. If you have to drive yourself, parking is very close.

You'd have to be an idiot to drive to Hattiesburg, NOLA or Gulfport to fly (unless saving a huge amount of money).

JAN operates smoothly and is very convenient. My only issue is when you get on a flight to ATL, you'll be the only person under 400lbs and one of the few not being pushed to the gate in a wheelchair.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I've flown out of the JAN dozens of times over the past 30 years, including to BWI (and return) at the beginning of August. I've never had a problem. it has always gone smooth, including the latest trip.

Get dropped off/picked up just steps from the counter/baggage claim. If you have to drive yourself, parking is very close.

You'd have to be an idiot to drive to Hattiesburg, NOLA or Gulfport to fly (unless saving a huge amount of money).

JAN operates smoothly and is very convenient. My only issue is when you get on a flight to ATL, you'll be the only person under 400lbs and one of the few not being pushed to the gate in a wheelchair.
I’m with you… never had an issue with Jackson’s airport. In fact, it’s probably my favorite airport just from a standpoint of not being busy and crazy security lines.

patdog

May 28, 2007

I've never had any problems either, other than the fact it's a pretty sh*tty airport and a lot of stuff is half-assed done. But I almost always fly Delta. They were very helpful when I flew with my mom a couple of months ago. Only issue I had was TSA agent (thank God female) was too thorough patting down my 87-year old mother with 2 hip replacements. I bit my tongue because nothing I could do about it and if I tried we'd miss the flight. TSA in Detroit on the flight back just did a quick scan with the wand and waved her through. Overall, much better than driving 3-4 hours to fly out of Memphis, New Orleans or Birmingham. I did look at flights out of Laurel-Hattiesburg, but they were several hundreds of dollars more.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
See my reply to OG. I had to check a bag. They wouldn’t do it. Said I was too late despite being here 30 minutes prior to cut off. It’s not difficult to understand. Crappy customer service. Dude just didn’t want to help. It’s not that hard to understand. Damn the internet badasses are out bright and early on a Monday.
Is it 1.5 hrs you have to be there before flight to check a bag?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
And, on your return back thru ATL, you will be banished to a gate at the farthest end of the sparsest terminal. My business partner refers to it as the "ghetto gate."

Reactions: patdog

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
And, on your return back thru ATL, you will be banished to a gate at the farthest end of the sparsest terminal. My business partner refers to it as the "ghetto gate."
Same thing happened to us returning from Miami recently. It felt like a bus stop in the 70s.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Houston Hobby tarmac manufactured housing gates say hello

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
JAN has a customs office to receive international cargo and makes it an international airport.
Are you sure? I had heard recently some people had to be rerouted through Atlanta because of no customs here.

ETA: Oh, I just realized you said cargo. My bad

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
This place is an absolute customer service abyss. Got here an hour fifteen before flight. They won’t let me on. Two people at United counter. No one waiting. In fact no one in the terminal but me that doesn’t work here. Four people in baggage check laughing at me begging to get on flight. Absolutely ridiculous. Will never step foot in this place again. I guess checking in the 22 people on this flight was just too much.

This place is an absolute customer service abyss. Got here an hour fifteen before flight. They won’t let me on. Two people at United counter. No one waiting. In fact no one in the terminal but me that doesn’t work here. Four people in baggage check laughing at me begging to get on flight. Absolutely ridiculous. Will never step foot in this place again. I guess checking in the 22 people on this flight was just too much.

This place is a ghost town. Waiting till 12 to catch next flight. There are three other passengers in this terminal besides me. Hard to believe it’s this empty on a Monday. No restaurant to wait in. Not even a place to buy a cup of coffee. Pathetic. Now just sitting here watching the carousel of the city council members spin round and round.
Using the Jackson airport is super easy. The problem is the airport board is made up of people that have little to no interest in aviation. They are selected based on race and administrative backgrounds of mostly non related industries.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login