Jackson making moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

catvet

May 11, 2009
While Jackson, Mississippi, did not appear on Asher's list (it has an estimated population of less than 200,000), the city recorded about 153 homicides in 2021, pegging the homicide rate at 99.5 per 100,000 residents. So far this year, the city has recorded 70 homicides, putting it on track to reach a similar murder rate by the end of 2022, according to WLBT.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/emerging...-these-cities-have-highest-murders-per-capita

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

patdog

May 28, 2007
Jackson is actually at 84 homicides so far this year (unless someone else was murdered overnight, which is very possible). Slightly below last year's pace, but that could easily change.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Jackson is actually at 84 homicides so far this year (unless someone else was murdered overnight, which is very possible). Slightly below last year's pace, but that could easily change.

Don't disappoint Jack town. Pick up the pace

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Hahaha, literally 3x the rate of New Orleans. Wow.

This is why you can't 'save' Jackson, at least the entire city. You simply have to mark off an area downtown and make it serviceable.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Is most of the murders taking place in NoJack, Sojack or Wejack? I can't say Eajack because East Jackson is Pearl.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

i don’t live Mississippi anymore but this information makes me sad for the people who live there now since Jackson is the capital and largest city. Most of the rest of the state isn’t like this I believe but folks outside of the state are going to see it as a reflection of the rest of the state. I have better memories of the state.

I’m not throwing stones because Austin has even bigger problems that are much worst like being in the pipeline for drugs and human trafficking.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
You can save Jackson, but I don’t believe the city is willing put the kind of resources and police policies necessary to turn it around.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Chicago is 15th. What will talking heads do without being able to scare viewers into thinking Chicago is the most violent place on Earth?

I half want to read comments in that article, but fully know it will only make me more disappointed with society. 150% of me has weighed in on this and the scale clearly tips away from me reading the trash that is FN comments.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Chicago is 15th. What will talking heads do without being able to scare viewers into thinking Chicago is the most violent place on Earth?

I half want to read comments in that article, but fully know it will only make me more disappointed with society. 150% of me has weighed in on this and the scale clearly tips away from me reading the trash that is FN comments.

I mean, 15th isn't something to really brag about. And Chicago is relatively rich compared to most of the cities that are worse than it. It's definitely underachieving.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Dangerous is dangerous. The fact that they are on the list makes your point moot.

That said, will I walk through downtown Chicago without packing and wearing a bullet-proof vest? Sure. I'll do the same in downtown Jackson. That doesn't mean they both don't have a bunch of dangerous places.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can't save a city that doesn't want to be saved. Jackson is the way it is because that's the way the majority of its people and its leadership want it to be.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Gun control is a big part of the reason Chicago's not higher on the list. Its not like they ain't trying. Not our fault we can aim better down here

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Like many other cities, most of the murders in Jxn take place in certain areas. Downtown, Belhaven, The Fondren, Eastover and surrounding areas have little violent crime, but still plagued by property crime.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I mean, 15th isn't something to really brag about. And Chicago is relatively rich compared to most of the cities that are worse than it. It's definitely underachieving.

I don't think anyone is bragging about Chicago being 15th. I certainly am not.
My comment was to highlight how completely absurd the focus and narrative about Chicago has been over the last 5ish years. Its not the safest and clearly not the most dangerous. That doesn't help the talking head narrative.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Dangerous is dangerous. The fact that they are on the list makes your point moot.

That said, will I walk through downtown Chicago without packing and wearing a bullet-proof vest? Sure. I'll do the same in downtown Jackson. That doesn't mean they both don't have a bunch of dangerous places.

No, it being on the list does not make my point moot. My point is that it isn't the most dangerous and it is hardly worth all the focus by talking heads over the last handful of years, and theist highlights that point.
It isnt the safest and is hardly the most dangerous. It shows a bias and agenda(s) by outlets which forced the narrative that Chicago is some wild west and got it to become widespread.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Violent crime is spreading into all of those areas except Eastover. And onto the Interstates.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The majority of the people don’t want it to be that way. The majority is just too dumb and keeps voting for the same people bc that’s what they are told to do.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Your comment is bc you are a woke simp.

Chicago is focused on bc it has a lunatic mayor and a terrible crime problem and should be one of if not the nicest places in this country.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Talking to stranger by Malcom has a chapter on how to fix the problem.

But it’s racist.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No, it being on the list does not make my point moot. My point is that it isn't the most dangerous and it is hardly worth all the focus by talking heads over the last handful of years, and theist highlights that point.It isnt the safest and is hardly the most dangerous. It shows a bias and agenda(s) by outlets which forced the narrative that Chicago is some wild west and got it to become widespread.
It's still dangerous. Your point is just dumb.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think anyone is bragging about Chicago being 15th. I certainly am not.
My comment was to highlight how completely absurd the focus and narrative about Chicago has been over the last 5ish years. Its not the safest and clearly not the most dangerous. That doesn't help the talking head narrative.

It's not the most dangerous but it's not surprising that it's focused on because it's larger than the other cities in the top 15, which is how it gets the highest gross number of murders. And it's nicer. People don't care so much about Baltimore or St. Louis being ******. People care that a great american city is turning to ****.

Chicago is also worth focusing on because I am guessing it has the most extreme differential between how safe its safe areas are (and how much of the city that includes) and how dangerous the rest of it is. Of the other five cities in the top 15 that I've spent enough time in to compare, none of those five felt like you could walk for days without getting into an unsafe area. And none of them have felt as safe as the safest parts of Chicago (out of places you'd go as a tourist or on business. I'm assuming that the nice residential areas are harder to tell a difference). As much as people like to ***** and moan about inequality, they are only worried about some people having more money than other lower upper class people when if I were poor, I'd care a lot more about the differential in safety.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Gun control is a big part of the reason Chicago's not higher on the list. Its not like they ain't trying. Not our fault we can aim better down here
What? Gun control ain't got **** to do with it. Gun control is more adept at stopping mass shootings, not the everyday stuff that Chicago experiences.

Why don't other cities, with much less gun control, have similar murder rates?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Jackson, Meridian, McComb all rising crime rates across the board. Has to be a common denominator. But how to stop it is the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login