Jackson making moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Violent crime is spreading into all of those areas except Eastover. And onto the Interstates.

Yes violent crime does occur in every area, but still not common on those areas. Any where in Jx you need to have your head on a swivel, especially in the Lululemon Store...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Jackson, Meridian, McComb all rising crime rates across the board. Has to be a common denominator. But how to stop it is the real question.

According to two former McComb residents, who escaped to Madison, Katrina was a tipping point for the city. Too many NOLA refugees stayed.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you'll check and see how many of these crimes are committed by repeat offenders you'll see a very plain, simple and clearly defined path to "how to stop it".

Last edited:

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Jackson, Meridian, McComb all rising crime rates across the board. Has to be a common denominator. But how to stop it is the real question.

In my opinion, the root cause for rising crime rates in these cities is: not enough fathers in the homes.

If we can increase the percentage of homes having fathers that participate in their children's lives, then we can reduce crime rates. The more we can raise the percentage of homes having fathers, the more we can reduce crime rates.

This same strategy would work for many other problems in our cities.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In my opinion, the root cause for rising crime rates in these cities is: not enough fathers in the homes.

If we can increase the percentage of homes having fathers that participate in their children's lives, then we can reduce crime rates. The more we can raise the percentage of homes having fathers, the more we can reduce crime rates.

I think there is no question about this.

Last edited:

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
The common denominator is...

******, absent, non-existent parents that procreate and produce soon to be ******, absent, non-existent parents. To make matters worse, each generation is shittier, more absent, and more non-existent than the last.

catvet

May 11, 2009
An 18 year old girl was found shot to death in her car today on Bailey. It is truly sad what Jackson has become

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Like many other cities, most of the murders in Jxn take place in certain areas. Downtown, Belhaven, The Fondren, Eastover and surrounding areas have little violent crime, but still plagued by property crime.

Yes and no. Every city has bad areas that drive most of the crime stats. But decent cities generally have areas that are basically untouched by violent crime and have very little property crime. The problem with Jackson is that you don't have any area like that left unless it's possibly Eastover, but I think even Eastover has to deal with it now. So people in Jackson are basically looking at a situation where they don't have a nice entertainment area or walkable area or live/work/play area, the public schools are ******, the roads are ****** and dangerous roads, they at best live in a residential area where they only have to deal with property crime, but they also get to pay relatively high taxes. At some point I think even the Jackson diehards are just going to decide they can't justify it.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

Yeah, but what can we do about it? Culturally, that community is already very religious and familial. Seems to me what is needed is good jobs. Stable jobs/careers leads to stable families. A lack of jobs leads to broken families and crime ridden communities. It's played out across every ethnicity in every continent.....

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Yeah, but what can we do about it? Culturally, that community is already very religious and familial. Seems to me what is needed is good jobs. Stable jobs/careers leads to stable families. A lack of jobs leads to broken families and crime ridden communities. It's played out across every ethnicity in every continent.....

Great question. I wish I knew the answer, but I can only guess at what might get us there.

Good jobs is certainly a part of it. Our leaders in Jackson/Hinds County/Mississippi should be constantly working on that.

I also think we should do some sort of training in our elementary schools. I'm no expert on education, so I don't know exactly what it would look like (or, whether we could even make it happen).

Think about this though . . . how would a child growing up in a broken/chaotic home even know what a "family" is? If that child could somehow grow up to be a loving parent and a contributing member of society, then that would be nothing short of a miracle.

Maybe if we could have classes in our elementary schools that teach every kid what a "family" is and how to be a good citizen of our community, then (hopefully) it would help some kids that would otherwise be completely lost. I know this strategy would help only a few kids here and there, but we have to try something and it's the only thing I could think of.

Lastly, any proposed solution would have to be a "long-term" solution that would take several generations to really move the needle. We're not going to fix this problem quickly.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Chicago is 15th. What will talking heads do without being able to scare viewers into thinking Chicago is the most violent place on Earth?

I half want to read comments in that article, but fully know it will only make me more disappointed with society. 150% of me has weighed in on this and the scale clearly tips away from me reading the trash that is FN comments.

Yeah it is down this year. Only 45 shootings resulting in 5 deaths this past weekend.
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-weekend-violence-shooting-police-department/12090272/

Lower?

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-violence-shooting-cpd/12090958/

This might have something to do with the issue too.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7...-police-department-david-brown-lori-lightfoot

Last edited:

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I think it’s a very fair assessment that Jr is an awful mayor but homicides shouldn’t just explode b/c he isn’t good. There is something cultural going on that can’t be addressed by a politician imo. And by cultural I’m not talking about the color of anyone, I’m talking the nature of the city. Jackson has always been incredibly dangerous but it was opt-in danger. We knew what nightclubs were getting shot up or what neighborhoods were wild. Now it’s 14-17 year olds shooting people on I-55. 17ing kids. There are so many dangerous, powerful drugs on the street. Basically everything now is bootleg and/or laced with fent. Pop culture via movies/music etc… has gotten really dark & accessible. Rap music is a literal grave yard these days. Rappers die nonstop. I have not idea how you even begin to address this. I think about it all the time.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

There are plenty of jobs but why work when you can work the system. Covid proved that many people are deadweight to the system if allowed to be.

This country is full of Too many libtards to fix the problem. We don’t set up feeding troughs in the wild for a reason

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Until people in those communities get tired of it and demand change (through the ballot box), there will be no change.

The ballot box won't help. Until the people of these communities start taking matters into their own hands and holding other members of the community accountable it won't change.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The ballot box won't help. Until the people of these communities start taking matters into their own hands and holding other members of the community accountable it won't change.

The ballot box isn't a cure all, but if they just elected a mayor that unabashedly supported the police, and a DA and judges that are insistent on stopping the revolving door for repeat offenders, it would make a big difference.

Of course a voting populace that would elect those type of politicians would also mean a population less committed to crime in the first place.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Great question. I wish I knew the answer, but I can only guess at what might get us there.

Good jobs is certainly a part of it. Our leaders in Jackson/Hinds County/Mississippi should be constantly working on that.

I also think we should do some sort of training in our elementary schools. I'm no expert on education, so I don't know exactly what it would look like (or, whether we could even make it happen).

Think about this though . . . how would a child growing up in a broken/chaotic home even know what a "family" is? If that child could somehow grow up to be a loving parent and a contributing member of society, then that would be nothing short of a miracle.

Maybe if we could have classes in our elementary schools that teach every kid what a "family" is and how to be a good citizen of our community, then (hopefully) it would help some kids that would otherwise be completely lost. I know this strategy would help only a few kids here and there, but we have to try something and it's the only thing I could think of.

Lastly, any proposed solution would have to be a "long-term" solution that would take several generations to really move the needle. We're not going to fix this problem quickly.

Well imagine if, instead of spending $30k a year getting $20k in free bennies to someone without a job, if we subsidized the employer for $25k to give then a job paying $40-50k? Could you lure good businesses back into city centers that way? Probably. But instead we give giant tax breaks to employers to take jobs oversees or locate in the middle of nowhere and pay wages so low that their workers stay on bennies anyway, right?

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
It’s a culture. I used to work for Hinds county and I was shocked the amount of government assistance emails that would come THROUGH the Hinds county email system. I.E. Hinds Leadership felt it important to email Hinds employees about how/where you can get “free stuff” through the government. Insane.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There are plenty of jobs but why work when you can work the system. Covid proved that many people are deadweight to the system if allowed to be.

This country is full of Too many libtards to fix the problem. We don’t set up feeding troughs in the wild for a reason

Why work for barely more than free bennies when there's no path there to anything better? The problem here is the people who say things like "libtards" are surprised that black people can be rational, if they can even begin to see them as people at all. Reform the system, make work worthwhile, instead of trying to punish people into doing something that benefits you but not them. Give rational people a better outcome, and they'll take it, right?

Aug 18, 2009
Any effort to correct this has to come from within the affected community. There are a lot of people trying, but it sure seems like the majority of people in a lot of communities do not give a single 17.

Until changes are made culturally from within the communities, we need to start holding parents/guardians responsible for violent crimes committed by their kids/wards that are underage. I'd bet a surprisingly high percentage of violent, non-homicide crime in Jackson is committed by underage children, which is likely driven by gang activity that our "fearless leaders" won't admit is an issue. Get enough armed carjackings under the belt when you're 16 and won't be tried as an adult, and then a couple years later pulling the trigger for any reason at all doesn't seem like such a big deal. For whatever the reason, most of the time these kids' families have no idea what they are up to.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The ballot box isn't a cure all, but if they just elected a mayor that unabashedly supported the police, and a DA and judges that are insistent on stopping the revolving door for repeat offenders, it would make a big difference.

Of course a voting populace that would elect those type of politicians would also mean a population less committed to crime in the first place.
Frank Melton?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Frank Melton?

As crazy as Melton was, I think Jackson's crime may have gotten slightly better under him? Not sure though.

But of the three (mayor, DA, and judges), DA and judges are probably more important as far as stopping the revolving doors for repeat offenders. I don't know what Jody Owen's approach is and whether he is asking for reasonable bail amounts and sentences and the judges just not granting them, or if he is on board with the catch and release.

catvet

May 11, 2009
Well imagine if, instead of spending $30k a year getting $20k in free bennies to someone without a job, if we subsidized the employer for $25k to give then a job paying $40-50k? Could you lure good businesses back into city centers that way? Probably. But instead we give giant tax breaks to employers to take jobs oversees or locate in the middle of nowhere and pay wages so low that their workers stay on bennies anyway, right?

The problem with that is the number of low skill jobs are dwindling throughout the country. When you add in the number of HS dropout, those who don't want basic training skills and those that don't want to work, you will not attract good jobs. Continental can't keep employees due to the weird work schedules and folks not wanting to work. That's why jobs don't come.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

There would be a ton of fraud (like there is now with teh EITC) and we'd probably have a ton of inflation (which we don't have now with the EITC b/c it's relatively modest, but if minimally productive workers start making after tax and transfer incomes of $50k, the workers that have a market wage of $50k are going to either stop being as productive or are going to demand more money).

But yes, wage subsidies or programs like the EITC (basically the same thing in different forms) are less destructive than a lot of other welfare policies. Something more than what we do now (with more audits and stricter punishments) would probably be a pretty good setup, especially if we paired it with simplifying and consolidating welfare programs. Not sure if you could get an otherwise minimum wage worker up to $40k though, unless you eliminated basically all other welfare other than SS and Medicare.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think anyone is bragging about Chicago being 15th. I certainly am not.
My comment was to highlight how completely absurd the focus and narrative about Chicago has been over the last 5ish years. Its not the safest and clearly not the most dangerous. That doesn't help the talking head narrative.

Because in Chicago the issue is raw numbers. If one death is a tragedy, you have to be alarmed by what goes on there.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
As crazy as Melton was, I think Jackson's crime may have gotten slightly better under him? Not sure though.

But of the three (mayor, DA, and judges), DA and judges are probably more important as far as stopping the revolving doors for repeat offenders. I don't know what Jody Owen's approach is and whether he is asking for reasonable bail amounts and sentences and the judges just not granting them, or if he is on board with the catch and release.
No doubt it got better. But unfortunately, Jacksonians ran his *** out of there.

And yeah, the lenient DA and judges are a huge part of the problem.

If there's ONE big thing we could do to improve things, it's to deter crime. Then there will be activity and investment, if only in a few areas. And honestly, that's all you need in Jackson.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
No doubt it got better. But unfortunately, Jacksonians ran his *** out of there.

I should know better than to stop you when you're on a roll, but Melton had a heart attack on election night and died a couple days latter

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I should know better than to stop you when you're on a roll, but Melton had a heart attack on election night and died a couple days latter
He lost the election you idiot. He wasn't popular - AT ALL - with the populace.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Because in Chicago the issue is raw numbers. If one death is a tragedy, you have to be alarmed by what goes on there.

Its the 3rd most populated city. Raw numbers will be higher as a result. Is that really not obvious? That is why a 'per capita' evaluation is better- it normalizes the obvious differences in population.

Again, I am not suggesting Chicago is some utopia, but it also has over a dozen cities ahead of it that should be focused on when the 'dangerous city' narrative is yapped about on TV and radio.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Its the 3rd most populated city. Raw numbers will be higher as a result. Is that really not obvious? That is why a 'per capita' evaluation is better- it normalizes the obvious differences in population.

Again, I am not suggesting Chicago is some utopia, but it also has over a dozen cities ahead of it that should be focused on when the 'dangerous city' narrative is yapped about on TV and radio.

797 people were murdered in Chicago in 2021. And that number has been rising year over year. But no surprise that you're in this thread talking about PeR CApItA!!!1!!

Be better.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There would be a ton of fraud (like there is now with teh EITC) and we'd probably have a ton of inflation (which we don't have now with the EITC b/c it's relatively modest, but if minimally productive workers start making after tax and transfer incomes of $50k, the workers that have a market wage of $50k are going to either stop being as productive or are going to demand more money).

But yes, wage subsidies or programs like the EITC (basically the same thing in different forms) are less destructive than a lot of other welfare policies. Something more than what we do now (with more audits and stricter punishments) would probably be a pretty good setup, especially if we paired it with simplifying and consolidating welfare programs. Not sure if you could get an otherwise minimum wage worker up to $40k though, unless you eliminated basically all other welfare other than SS and Medicare.

You could turn any McJob into $40k/yr with a $10/hr / $20k/yr subsidy. There's really not much welfare other than SS (which isn't welfare) and Medicare, other than food stamps which you could get rid of or at least massively restructure and reduce (OT: the WIC program works like EBT should work. Reform it to be like that.) And you wouldn't have to have every job make that much, just a path to get there. Combine it with true Made-In-USA requirements and the rest will mostly take care of itself.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
How about, give people better opportunities?

I 17n do every paycheck. I help provide them with free school, free breakfast, free lunch, and a 17n free ride to and from school. Hell i'm even feeding them in the summer now because their POS guardians are too 17n lazy to provide for them and parent them in the summer. so 17 u and this BS narrative. I grew up on food stamps, govt cheese, mayo sammiches, and dry cereal. These ******** dont know what poor is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login